plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
What exactly is tinfoil hat about being skeptical about the motives of a CEO of a publicly traded company motivated by profits?
The part where someone thinks all the pharmaceutical companies are in league with each other and independent researchers and governments all lying about the truth of disease vs competing against each other to make money by making more effective / profitable treatments than the other companies.

Diseases mutate. This one included. You may have heard it mentioned on the news. Ergo, you will need to get a shot every so often to make sure your immune to whatever variants are spreading at that time.

VS 'this isn't needed, despite all the science clearly suggesting otherwise, cause they just want to make money!'

AlecKoKuTan

Oct 29, 2017
Irvine, CA
Sign me up. I just started going back to the gym-- home workouts just not cutting it. Got my two doses of Pfizer in January so I was beginning to worry about my immunity.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
The part where someone thinks all the pharmaceutical companies are in league with each other and independent researchers and governments all lying about the truth of disease vs competing against each other to make money by making more effective / profitable treatments than the other companies.

Diseases mutate. This one included. You may have heard it mentioned on the news. Ergo, you will need to get a shot every so often to make sure your immune to whatever variants are spreading at that time.

VS 'this isn't needed, despite all the science clearly suggesting otherwise, cause they just want to make money!'
Yeah especially with how humanity allowed this to spread in sure it may be seasonal now not even a profit driven thing. I'm sure there are other mutations that haven't even been discovered yet.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
We've been saying that COVID could become a seasonal thing from the start. Here's an article from August last year.

www.theatlantic.com

The Coronavirus Is Never Going Away

No matter what happens now, the virus will continue to circulate around the world.

Why are so many people ITT acting like this is a surprising new development? You're all sounding like Republicans.

francium87

Oct 27, 2017
Completely expected. Here's some data I saw discussed recently.
This is even without considering mutations. Antibody levels/activity just naturally drops. Project out to a year (will have actual data on that then) and it could be about as effective as just getting the first shot.

CDX

Oct 25, 2017
Once a year is completely fine with me. Better than getting and spreading COVID. However it better continue to be free of charge to both insured and uninsured just like these current COVID-19 vaccines are.

It'd also be nice if it can be given at the same time as the annual flu shot or combined into the same shot.

This site becomes anti-science as soon as it's convenient lol
Yep.

There sure are some takes on this thread.

Last edited:

maxxpower

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
California
We've been saying that COVID could become a seasonal thing from the start. Here's an article from August last year.

www.theatlantic.com

No matter what happens now, the virus will continue to circulate around the world.

Why are so many people ITT acting like this is a surprising new development? You're all sounding like Republicans.
Covid is not a season thing though, and it's nothing like the cold or flu, completely different virus. I'll admit that I wishingly hoped that we could eradicate this virus with the vaccines but people fucked up by letting this shit mutate like crazy.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

As one of the people skeptical here, I'm fully aware that the need for repeated shots is a strong possibility. But it's just that, a possibility. We don't actually have the data to back this up. And as has been mentioned, it's a possibility already brought up by many experts. So why are we shining the spotlight on the ceo of a company with a vested desire for this to be the case when he's not making the statement based on any new info? Him saying this might be the case doesn't actually change anything or make it more likely.

Yes viruses mutate and many vaccines need to have periodic boosters. But how often you need them and things like that can vary by the virus. There are viruses we need to get yearly shots for like the flu. There are ones we can get a single vaccine and be good for life. And there are others with very different vaccination schedules too. What the proper response for Covid will ultimately be is still unclear, we don't know what the best response is yet and we shouldn't jump to conclusions. Hell even if we need recurring shots, it might be a case where we only need it once every few years. And while I don't think it's likely getting extra vaccinations will be potentially harmful for people who are already fine taking them, it's an extra expense that might not be worthwhile if data doesn't suggest a need. Even if it's "free", that likely means it's being paid for by taxes so it's still costing people money

Autumn

Avenger
Apr 1, 2018
My work provided me vaccines on site but if they don't do that again I'm not taking another shot.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
The possibility of a booster shot being needed has been floated by doctors since before vaccines became available. This isn't just some asspull. Doctors have suggested that this might be needed to keep up, like the flu shot.

If this becomes an official recommendation, then of course I'll go for it. This announcement seems like they're gearing up for that.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Covid is not a season thing though, and it's nothing like the cold or flu, completely different virus. I'll admit that I wishingly hoped that we could eradicate this virus with the vaccines but people fucked up by letting this shit mutate like crazy.
I don't see how that contradicts anything I said. COVID is a virus and it's acting like viruses do. We've been saying that COVID could become a fixture of life since early last year, and people in here are acting like that's a shocking new development.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
As one of the people skeptical here, I'm fully aware that the need for repeated shots is a strong possibility. But it's just that, a possibility. We don't actually have the data to back this up. And as has been mentioned, it's a possibility already brought up by many experts. So why are we shining the spotlight on the ceo of a company with a vested desire for this to be the case when he's not making the statement based on any new info? Him saying this might be the case doesn't actually change anything or make it more likely.

Yes viruses mutate and many vaccines need to have periodic boosters. But how often you need them and things like that can vary by the virus. There are viruses we need to get yearly shots for like the flu. There are ones we can get a single vaccine and be good for life. And there are others with very different vaccination schedules too. What the proper response for Covid will ultimately be is still unclear, we don't know what the best response is yet and we shouldn't jump to conclusions. Hell even if we need recurring shots, it might be a case where we only need it once every few years. And while I don't think it's likely getting extra vaccinations will be potentially harmful for people who are already fine taking them, it's an extra expense that might not be worthwhile if data doesn't suggest a need. Even if it's "free", that likely means it's being paid for by taxes so it's still costing people money
Your data is what is happening in Brazil and India. New variants that can evade antibody response from the vaccines and potentially even T-cells which is a mjor game changer.

The proof is already right there in front of you. Like the flu vaccine, it changes based on the type of flu that is going to be prevalent. Same here and it's even more drastic because our vaccine is based on the "OG" virus that is already being pushed out by the British variant. Thankfully, we have real world data that Pfizers vaccine is effective against it. I'm not trying to attack you but I'm tired of everything always having to be a conspiracy. It really is simple sometimes. This is one of those times. If this virus didn't have a new variant every other month I'd agree with you. Right now we are lucky that the vaccines seem to be effective against the British, South African and possibly the Brazilian variant, but each one decreases the efficacy of the vaccines. Now there is this variant in India that has made it's way to America and it is being reported that there are several mutations to it.

Diablos

has a title.
Oct 25, 2017
Covid is never going to die. Vaccination hesitancy/resistance coupled with how rapidly this thing can spread and mutate tells me it's here to stay. We will be vaccinating against it forever.

Azerare

Oct 25, 2017
Get my first dose soon but i figure it would be like this with other vaccines, mutations, and some states still tossing caution to the wind.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Your data is what is happening in Brazil and India. New variants that can evade antibody response from the vaccines and potentially even T-cells which is a mjor game changer.

The proof is already right there in front of you. Like the flu vaccine, it changes based on the type of flu that is going to be prevalent. Same here and it's even more drastic because our vaccine is based on the "OG" virus that is already being pushed out by the British variant. Thankfully, we have real world data that Pfizers vaccine is effective against it. I'm not trying to attack you but I'm tired of everything always having to be a conspiracy. It really is simple sometimes. This is one of those times. If this virus didn't have a new variant every other month I'd agree with you. Right now we are lucky that the vaccines seem to be effective against the British, South African and possibly the Brazilian variant, but each one decreases the efficacy of the vaccines. Now there is this variant in India that has made it's way to America and it is being reported that there are several mutations to it.
Of course new variants can emerge. I'm well aware of this. Again, my issue isn't the suggestion we'll need recurring booster shots, as I said I agree that's a strong possibility and has been so for ages. My issue is that the CEO of one of the companies making the vaccine isn't a useful source. I feel like if we're going to make threads on what people are saying about the future of the vaccines, we should focus on actual experts (and policy makers when relevant though for different reasons), not the guy who is trying to make money off the vaccine. Again I was never trying to suggest that this possibility is wrong or that he's definitely lying or anything, just that this CEO is not who we should be listening to for this type of info

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017

www.theatlantic.com

COVID has had a lot of people showing their asses on health data, public response, you name it. People I'd never guess were anti-science are posting tons of ~just asking questions~ things online these days

Pall Mall

Oct 25, 2017
Don't mind at all getting it yearly obviously, but I am afraid of the implications of needing others (ie the skeptical and the anti-vaxxers and the complacent) to do so as well.

mk_68

Banned
Feb 3, 2020
Of course new variants can emerge. I'm well aware of this. Again, my issue isn't the suggestion we'll need recurring booster shots, as I said I agree that's a strong possibility and has been so for ages. My issue is that the CEO of one of the companies making the vaccine isn't a useful source. I feel like if we're going to make threads on what people are saying about the future of the vaccines, we should focus on actual experts (and policy makers when relevant though for different reasons), not the guy who is trying to make money off the vaccine. Again I was never trying to suggest that this possibility is wrong or that he's definitely lying or anything, just that this CEO is not who we should be listening to for this type of info
But the experts are saying that it's likely boosters are necessary. It's also incredibly important that these companies plan for people needing boosters so we aren't playing from behind.

Moderna is now testing a booster trial on those who were the very first to get the vaccine last May I think. The companies can say whatever they want but ultimately the decision will be made by the experts. The companies getting out ahead of it is a good thing.

Armadilo

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Covid is never going to die. Vaccination hesitancy/resistance coupled with how rapidly this thing can spread and mutate tells me it's here to stay. We will be vaccinating against it forever.
well that's if people want it, Not everybody gets the Flu shot every year even when they heavily recommend it

HammerOfThor

Oct 26, 2017
I guess I don't mind, but I just got my second moderna shot yesterday and I was completely out of commission until 5pm today. I don't think I've ever felt worse, and 5/6 years ago I managed to get strep twice and the flu in a 2 month period. I hope it gets better with time.

SRG01

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure I'd blame the CEO just yet. The bigger issue is the number of people that are refusing to be vaccinated, which is going to keep covid alive and well in those communities, giving it a chance to mutate into new variants.

If people just stopped being idiots and got immunized, we'd be able to eradicate this like we did with polio.

Yeah, this is the real problem here. The virus is being transmitted in high-risk countries multiple times, creating a large amount of infections. The CEO isn't saying this out of profit -- he's highlighting a real problem with the world not implementing social policies that can slow the spread of this virus.

Like, at one point, the US had unchecked spread of the virus. It was a miracle that a highly virulent strain didn't develop.

jakomocha

Oct 29, 2017
California
Kinda expected but daammmnnn. Moderna 2nd dose knocked me on my ass for 2 days. But I'd far rather give up 2 days a year than 365 to this goddamn virus

nitewulf

Nov 29, 2017
TBH, this is true for any and all vaccines right? Cholera, smallpox etc, it's just that enough population got vaccinated for those diseases to be almost eradicated. COVID-19 also needs that 5 to 10 year period for enough humans to get vaccinated.

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TBH, this is true for any and all vaccines right? Cholera, smallpox etc, it's just that enough population got vaccinated for those diseases to be almost eradicated. COVID-19 also needs that 5 to 10 year period for enough humans to get vaccinated.

Because it's a highly infectious respiratory illness that mutates frequently it will likely be around for long ass time, and realistically, never completely go away, much like influenza.

The only way it was going to be eradicated was lockdowns coupled with strict contact tracing and travel restrictions/quarantines. Once you have adequate travel controls and contact tracing, you can lift lockdowns.

The ship has sailed anywhere that wasn't willing to do those things.

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
The idea of combining flu shots with covid ones sounds reasonable. I will do my part and get a yearly update.

SpaceCrystal

Banned
Apr 1, 2019
Feels like this moment is our one shot to stop COVID. Vaccination numbers aren't going to get higher year over year if it becomes an annual booster thing, people are going to drop off. If you have any hesitancy to get the shot right now, this should be your motivator. The greater the immunization crowd, the less chance it has to multiply and mutate.

This. Plus not sure if posted yet, but this is also important:

MSN

Damn when did era become anti vaxxxx.

There's even just open mask fear mongering and anti-public health shit posting in here.

Thread is full of bannable posts.

It boggles my mind of what I'm reading.

Ban all the tinfoil hat, anti-science posters. Don't let that shit take root on this site.

I agree. This shit needs to stop.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
The people upset about this are probably the same that don't get the annual flu shot.

Booster shots are like a 5 minute affair. Get over yourself and keep protecting yourself and others.

nelsonroyale

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
unstructured thoughts

pfizer are getting good economies of scale under the pandemic, even though they are apparently manufacturing at cost...well they didn't finance the R&D alone, since a lot of that came from the German government. Bit plans to ramp pricing up as soon as the pandemic ends...although given differential pricing across countries and demand, I imagine they are making bank already pretty well. Just despise the for profit model of health service (not care), when a lot of the research is publically funded...

www.fiercepharma.com

Pfizer eyes higher prices for COVID-19 vaccine after the pandemic wanes: exec, analyst

Amid the high-stakes fight against COVID-19, a company at the forefront of the vaccine effort is | Amid the high-stakes fight against COVID-19, a company at the forefront of the vaccine effort is laying plans to hike prices after the crisis. A top Pfizer exec said the drugmaker aims to charge...

How you manage society to reduce risk to any given problem is not really a scientific question, although science informs it. It is also a cultural, economic, environmental, wellbeing and livability question. I don't think population wide top ups are a good idea for a number of reasons, but particularly becuase I don't think covid warrants it given the consequences it poses to most people. For particulalry vulnerable people, that is another matter. There, it would make more sense, because the consequences are higher. On the other hand, it is the old story where you can reduce a lot of the risk by improving investment in those areas that have multiple and lasting health benefits, mainly investments that genuinely alleviate poverty.

So my question here is with the economics of it, and the necessity of annual shots to much of the population. just like many don't really need flu jabs, because their health and immune system already substantial mitigates the risks.

www.bhf.org.uk

Covid and your heart

Get the latest coronavirus updates from our experts, including what Covid-19 means for you if you have a heart or circulatory condition.

the above is obvioulsy an inexact science, but kind of illustrates the risk to a fairly healthy person of mortality from Covid. The question is how we manage risk to the vulnerable, while not downgrading many other of societies concerns, like mental health, environmental degredation and so on. Covid is only one issue among many, and despite being infectious, is far from the potential consequence of many of the more infamous tropically contained diseases.

Just to be clear: i am not saying that from a perspective of solely managing covid this doesn't make sense, but I am questioning the rational that pfizer's intentions are anywhere near merely medical, and that most of the population necessarily needs to follow this model. It is a question about acceptable risk and use of resources. Would prefer money going into improving health care to vulnerable people and in areas where health care falls short. obvioulsy those things are mutually exclusive, but we have a general trend of investment in technofixes, while the resource for a lot of public services, infrastructures and communities continue to degrade. Not a trend I like. And also not convinced that the scale of Biden's infrastructure plan goes far enough to reverse that.

Last edited:

AM_LIGHT

Oct 30, 2017
Scientifically this might be true . But I can't help myself doubting the need for an annual dose when being told that by a blood sucking big pharma CEO.

Roo

Oct 25, 2017
I had to spend 36-48 hours in bed with fevers and chills and aches after both my shots. Ugh.
Better get sick a couple days annually due to the vaccine than spending weeks isolated in a hospital feeling like complete shit or worse.. dead forever.
Seems like a fair trade 🤷🏼‍♂️

Fliesen

Oct 25, 2017
That's fine.

I'd rather have an annual shot, which might also be modified to better protect against the most prominent mutations, than pretending "Covid's gone for good".

spam musubi

Oct 25, 2017

We literally do have the data to back this up though.

floridaguy954

Oct 29, 2017
I'm going to be wary of this until we have actual evidence to back it up, because of course the people making the vaccine would like to be able to continue selling it year after year even if it's no longer necessary. We don't currently have any real evidence that this is necessary (in part because it's still too early for such evidence to even appear). It might be correct, but let's not jump to conclusions because of what a ceo with a vested interest in selling more of the product is saying
Agreed. I was going to say something similar.

For the record, I have been getting the flu shot yearly since it has been recommended for me to do so. I also do not mind getting a combo flu-covid shot.

Last edited:

Sidewinder

Oct 25, 2017
Best case scenario for them, this sucks, I was hoping we'd get rid of that shit ;(

I'm not an anti-vaxxer and I'll get my annual shot if it's really needed.

Milennia

Prophet of Truth - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
I'll take it 3 times a year if it makes that fucking virus fuck off

KDR_11k

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
So if every vaccinated person needs an additional shot per year are we even going to produce enough to vaccinate all humans before the first world countries demand another round of vaccines?

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
This is literally a conspiracy theory

Maybe I missed something, but to me saying "big pharma" is no different than saying "big tech" or "big oil", it's just referring to the top players in the respective industries. I would have never assumed someone who said the words "big pharma" is tongue in cheek saying "you know, those guys hiding the cure for cancer."

In fact, that is how it's defined.

www.merriam-webster.com

Definition of BIG PHARMA

large pharmaceutical companies considered especially as a politically influential group… See the full definition

His comments are inline with health officials, doctors, and scientists have been saying for months. Are you skeptical of these people as well? He's not saying anything new. It's an honest warning about what might be necessary in the future. I'm sorry that inconveniences you and some people here.

Again, I may have missed something else in this thread because I'm seeing these conspiracy theories come up in these replies, but I am solely referring to people jumping on one of the posters here for saying that they don't take a "big pharma" company solely at their word.

I and I think most would agree that we shouldn't make decisions about drug approvals, dosages, or treatment regimens solely at the word of the pharmaceutical companies. It's why we do not release drugs for public use upon press releases.

Having said all that it's not surprising people will need some kind of booster and people should trust the data and the integrity of the officials and scientists reviewing the data.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
So if every vaccinated person needs an additional shot per year are we even going to produce enough to vaccinate all humans before the first world countries demand another round of vaccines?
Considering the EU is about to buy about 35-40% of the manufacturing capacity for 2022/2023 i doubt it. mRNA is probably gonna stay mostly in wealthy nations.

plagiarize

It's not a loop. It's a spiral.
Oct 25, 2017
Cape Cod, MA
Maybe I missed something, but to me saying "big pharma" is no different than saying "big tech" or "big oil", it's just referring to the top players in the respective industries. I would have never assumed someone who said the words "big pharma" is tongue in cheek saying "you know, those guys hiding the cure for cancer."

In fact, that is how it's defined.

www.merriam-webster.com

Definition of BIG PHARMA

large pharmaceutical companies considered especially as a politically influential group… See the full definition

Again, I may have missed something else in this thread because I'm seeing these conspiracy theories come up in these replies, but I am solely referring to people jumping on one of the posters here for saying that they don't take a "big pharma" company solely at their word.

I and I think most would agree that we shouldn't make decisions about drug approvals, dosages, or treatment regimens solely at the word of the pharmaceutical companies. It's why we do not release drugs for public use upon press releases.

Having said all that it's not surprising people will need some kind of booster and people should trust the data and the integrity of the officials and scientists reviewing the data.
You don't have to take Pfizer's word on this though. Variants with increasing amounts of resistance to the anti bodies you get from the vaccine aren't a theoretical possibility but an observed reality. Like, in Israel, of the vaccinated people who do get sick, they are disproportionately getting the new strains when compared to unvaccinated people getting sick at the same time frame.

These concerns have led the pharma companies to look into boosters, updated vaccines etc, and now one of them has spoken on record about it.

Deleted member 82064

User requested account closure
Banned
Sep 29, 2020
There is no cabal of people shaking hands and making deals, but the recent opioid crisis shows extreme corruption and places big question mark on how medical studies are conducted by these companies. There is also huge problem with conflicts of interest with in government organizations.
FDA's opioids adviser accuses agency of having 'direct' link to crisis | Opioids crisis | The Guardian
How FDA Failures Contributed to the Opioid Crisis | Journal of Ethics | American Medical Association (ama-assn.org)
The Opioid Files: Follow The Post's investigation of the opioid epidemic - The Washington Post

But that's off topic. Booster shots have been talked ever since all this started and vaccines were first talked about. Doesn't come as surprise.