• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Strafer

The Flagpole is Wider
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Now the question that remains: who should play Tommy?

Oscar Isaacs

Et6tEpIWYAAYw62

Biiru

Oct 29, 2017
Why did they not try to go with this guy? It would be perfect! I'm not sure if Pedro has the scruffy look for it.

But I trust the maker that brought us CHERNOBYL. So I can't wait for it!

d89e8-16060248391167-800.jpg

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
No, just...no. Also Abby has visible muscles not hidden under a layer of fat.

Abby doesn't just have visible muscle. She has bulk. It would likely be easier for Gina to tone up than it would be for a more slender actress to bulk up to Abby's size. And her size is important. It's what makes her imposing. I'm not sure you can gloss over that aspect of her while picking an actress personally. But I definitely think someone with Gina's body would be much easier to mold because she already has that size on her side.

But yeah, I realise she likely wouldn't be a prime choice just because of her shitty views.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Why did they not try to go with this guy? It would be perfect! I'm not sure if Pedro has the scruffy look for it.

I mean he is a fine choice but that's just him casting because he looks really similar to Joel. People are too hung up on (fan) casting people who look the part.
Pedro Pascal is a good choice, unexpected but good.

ravn0s

"This guy are sick"
Oct 29, 2017
Love the casting so far.

They should cast Aidan Gillen (Littlefinger from Got) as David.

Stoze

Oct 26, 2017
But yeah, I realise she likely wouldn't be a prime choice just because of her shitty views.
She wouldn't be a prime choice regardless of her shitty views because she's also a shitty actor.

While I think muscle mass is actually kind of important to that role, it's not as important as simply being able to play a role believably in the first place.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I think a really important point to remember is that even though this is HBO and The Last of Us is great, I'm sure some actors just aren't interested in playing in another thing like this.

Dennie Dee

Oct 26, 2017
Bruges, Belgium
I love Pedro, but I'm kinda bummed the series focusses on Joel and Ellie as well...
wish it took place in the same universe as the games with different characters.

That said, HBO, Druckmann, Craig Mazin all working on this... Will probably be pretty amazing.

Flozuki

Nov 7, 2017
wohoo, the viper strikes again =)

Hopefully some kind of alternate version of the main story.

Budi

Oct 25, 2017
Finland
She wouldn't be a prime choice regardless of her shitty views because she's also a shitty actor.

While I think muscle mass is actually kind of important to that role, it's not as important as simply being able to play a role believably in the first place.
Yup, there are muscular women who aren't shitty people nor actors.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
So...is Pedro Pascal just getting all the roles now? Isn't he like...busy or something?

Loved the girl in GoT. She is clearly a very talented actress.

Nakenorm

"This guy are sick"
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I know there a fair amount of problematic views from her. But I honestly think Gina Carano would do a good job. Every time she pops up in mandalorian I immediately think of Abby.
This has got to be a joke right? I mean, she just got dropped from mandalorian and her agency because of her shitty views. Doubt she'll be cast in anything significant for a good while.

Herey

Unshakable Resolve
Jan 10, 2019
Would've loved Ali but this is also a great choice. Talent behind this is really promising so far.

Kaversmed

Oct 27, 2017
Denmark
Anyone seen Prospect? I think that could be a pretty good indication of how Pedro will approach his role as Joel. I really liked him in Prospect. Also, Sophie Thatcher is basically Ellie in that movie

prospect-2018.jpg

Trailer: https://youtu.be/XSpw22HPdHU

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2020
It's an interesting one for sure. I love Mahershala Ali, he's such a talented actor that I know he will be more than capable of bringing a fantastic realisation of Joel as a character to the screen. I have some encouragement from The Mandalorian in that I feel Pedro could kind of do it because I see how he manages to express feelings without much body language or facial expressions between himself and Grogu. That being said I always thought Josh Brolin would have been an exceptional choice for the role.

I would still love to see Mahershala Ali in the series, whether they look at having him play the character of Marlene in some shape or form, maybe a key Firefly even Sam, there's still some fantastic opportunities for him there and there are so many other roles that I would love to see him tackle. I really do rate him ever since I saw him in Cottonmouth in Luke Cage and followed him from there. I would love to see him play Shadow Man in the Sony/Valiant movie, but being cast as Blade you never know.

Either way, interesting choice, brilliant candidates. Let's see where we go from here.

kubus

Oct 27, 2017
Anyone seen Prospect? I think that could be a pretty good indication of how Pedro will approach his role as Joel. I really liked him in Prospect. Also, Sophie Thatcher is basically Ellie in that movie

prospect-2018.jpg
I really want to see this but it looks like the movie is non-existent here. Not on any streaming service in the Netherlands, no blu-ray or dvd release. There doesn't even seem to be a bluray or dvd on Amazon UK that I could import. Bummer :(

Razmos

Unshakeable One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Im not a massive fan of the actor but it's exciting that they didn't just cast a generic white man.

The girl playing Ellie was wonderful in game of thrones as well so I think it's gonna end up pretty good

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

i just wouldn't want abby to end up looking like alicia vikander in the tomb raider movies or something (although she's a shit actress too, so not a great example). she had some definition (at least in the poster) but it's not the same as abby. abby is huge. and it's pretty rare to find female actresses like that...hell, it's hard to find male actors like that (it's why they often resort to wrestlers and MMA fighters if they want someone genuinely massive)

i honestly cant think of anyone buff that can also act though?

Jul 24, 2018
I think he's a good actor and will do a fine job, if it was a perfect world you'd have Josh Brolin play Joel but that's not realistic. The girl playing Ellie is more of an unknown but I'm sure she'll be fine as well, looking forward to this. Also on a side note is that Halo show still going ahead?
Josh Brolin has gone on the record to say he doesn't do TV, I believe it was in Roger Deakins film podcast, so that wasn't gonna happen even if I do agree Brolin would have been great too.

Madrugador

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Holy shit, amazing choice.

Funny thing is that I imagined Pedro as Nathan Drake. Never thought he would play Joel.

AllEchse

Oct 29, 2017

I'm sure Pedro can also grow out his beard.
All these fan castings are always based around photos where the actor had the same hairstyle as the character or something like that, but actors can change those you know.

Annie85x

Mar 12, 2020
Love Oberyn and love Mando... well on board with this and delighted with the choice for Ellie too.

Sargerus

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That one ERA user who absolutely didn't wanted GOT actors in this show must be livid right now lol

Tiago Rodrigues

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 15, 2018
I see we are in the new hot actor needs to be in everything phase.

Honestly getting a GoT actor who'se also the Mandalorian actor, etc... is good. This is about reaching a new audience and not necessarily just for "gamers".
Can't wait to see how the show will affect TLOU's numbers tbh.

The game is already Sony's 1st game ever to surpass 20M copies...