Status
Not open for further replies.

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Once you get the hang of it and build up a decent deck, it's a lot of fun (even if Northern Realms/Nilfgaard decks are so well rounded that they're consistently better than Monsters and Scoia'tael, though maybe they've been rebalanced since I last played). There are opponents at a more appropriate skill level in the next main area.
Yeah, it'll probably be easier if I have more cards, I'm limited to my starting deck right now and I while I've been close to beating him (I had the lead 1-0 but tied the second round which of course meant he won that round automatically, but by that point I didn't have any cards left) I just can't beat his 10 cards that stacks to double damage with my <5 cards.

I quit the game in pure frustration but I might jump in later and proceed with the main quest instead. :p

www.nexusmods.com

No time for Gwent

No time for Gwent? Use Axii to win.

Lore friendly auto win Gwent mods
Awfully tempting right now, I gotta say. 🙄

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I'm wondering if a variety of gaming media and 'journalists' hardly know much about VR >_>;
People are still stuck with the old mindset that it is a fad that will end up dying. I would say that it surviving since the start of this VR gen (with the first Occulus kit) and growing in importance would have changed opinions, but I guess it is still too small for most of them to realize it.

VR is still not something mainstream, but I think it has shown the potential to be a new avenue for games / experiences in the short term when some of the core issues of the platform are solved (namely cables/dependancy on a strong computer, and price).

Teeth

Nov 4, 2017
I'm wondering if a variety of gaming media and 'journalists' hardly know much about VR >_>;

Most places do, or at the very least, have a VR "person".

When VR was on the come up, there were many, many people from a variety of outlets that stated that VR articles received substantially less clicks than any other article they would do. For instance, they would get something like 20% of the clicks they would get for a review of some unremarkable indie metroidvania game as they would for the-next-big-thing VR game. They would say things like "even contentious click-baity articles that would drive millions of page impressions on any other subject would barely get a blip about VR. The largest driver of VR traffic were articles about VR being dead/not ready/etc" which is why you saw a lot of those types of articles. The problem was just lack of interest from the generalist audience.

So when the articles don't get clicks, they become deprioritized.

Animus

Oct 30, 2017
Ukraine
I'm still salty that Capcom didn't add VR mode to pc version of Resident Evil 7. They already had all the necessary work done for PSVR. Just port it! I think it shows how niche they consider VR market.

Adnor

Oct 25, 2017
I just never did Gwent in Witcher 3, and when you had to in Heart of Stone I just lost.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
You didn't copy the links from a Google search or something, did you? I posted two test reviews for the game containing the same links (one with the URLs themselves as the hyperlinks and another as the URLs hyperlinked to a text phrase) and neither were censored.

Edit: It's possible someone reported your post and Valve's system auto-censored it. I once received a notification saying an old post I'd made in a forum for a removed game had been deleted for containing "inappropriate content", even though it was just an FYI that retail keys were still available on Humble. I submitted a ticket disputing the action, and it was reversed.

It was not a copy-paste, and I did not get any notification about it. I guess someone reported the review, and some moderator silently edited the review, which is troubling. It could be that the links are automatically censored after the review is reported, without any action by a human moderator, which would be stupid if the censorship is definitive. I mean, one of the links leads to a Steam Community news about the reviewed game. How can it make sense to censor it?

Edit: I have contacted Steam Support to learn about the issue.

Last edited:

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
The Division 2 and Expansion are coming to Stadia on March 17th so there is still some hope for Steam release but i doubt.

sym30l1c

Oct 25, 2017
The Division 2 and Expansion are coming to Stadia on March 17th so there is still some hope for Steam release but i doubt.

It looks like The Division 2 got an additional discount in some regions, but only for the next 50 minutes or so. It's only £1.29 for me.

https://gg.deals/deal/epic-games-store-the-division-2-new-discount-at-selected-regions/

Not sure whether to get it or not. I'm not gonna play it any time soon and I'm pretty sure it will be on Humble Choice at some point...but at that price...

XR.

Nov 22, 2018
Once you get the hang of it and build up a decent deck, it's a lot of fun (even if Northern Realms/Nilfgaard decks are so well rounded that they're consistently better than Monsters and Scoia'tael, though maybe they've been rebalanced since I last played). There are opponents at a more appropriate skill level in the next main area.
Well, I fired up the game again and decided to give it one more go and finally managed beat him with the standard deck. 😄 I baited his better cards in the first round, passed and gave all my everything for the last remaining two. As a reward I got the Foltest card, very nice.

Edit: Ooh, I just realized you can actually change the Gwent difficulty. Will this affect the Death March achievement?

Last edited:

Teggy

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, I absolutely hate Gwent in Witcher 3. I've tried to beat this Nilfgaardian Nobleman for an hour and it's just straight up impossible. I don't know if I have a chance to beat him later (I got the impression this is a temporary visit) but I'm so frustrated right now. Why is this a thing, geez.

heh, I played a lot of gwent in my first play through but the play through I am doing now I havent played a single hand.

fspm

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
VR is still not something mainstream, but I think it has shown the potential to be a new avenue for games / experiences in the short term when some of the core issues of the platform are solved (namely cables/dependancy on a strong computer, and price).
There's more. You need to put on something on your head just to play, get that something in the first place, a lot of free space, jumping all over the place after a long day at work. Too much trouble.

Blade30

Oct 26, 2017
Quoting myself from the previous thread.

Blade30 said:
So I have a weird problem.

When I play games, especially third person view games my keyboard controls sometimes act strange. There is a 1-4 sec delay on any keys I press, when I move my character for a second he instead keeps moving for 3 seconds + with a quick delay at the beginning. The other thing is when I switch to my gamepad it's back to normal and it reacts fine but not with the keyboard. I tried switching to another keyboard which is a mechanical one, but the problem is still there although it's a bit more responsive compared to the one I'm using.
This problem only occurs randomly, but sometimes it keeps on happening when I start the game and load a savegame where my keyboard starts acting up.

I don't have this problem outside of games. My only guess is that maybe something wrong on the OS (win 8.1) or possibly the motherboard, which is a bit over ten years old now.

So I think I solved the problem, it looks like my antivirus program Avast was the culprit and it seems I wasn't the only one having some sort of keyboard problems. After disabling and finally uninstalling it (which was five days ago) I haven't had the problem anymore. I can't believe that program was causing such problem.

datamage

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still salty that Capcom didn't add VR mode to pc version of Resident Evil 7. They already had all the necessary work done for PSVR. Just port it! I think it shows how niche they consider VR market.
Was thinking the same thing a couple days ago. The PC version could have looked so much nicer too. What a shame.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
alyx-screenshot-gun.jpg

Half-Life-Alyx-Error.png

only the most eagleeyed viewers would notice that without pausing the video especially since it's up near the top edge of the screen. encouraging in a way though

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
New thread, just caught up on it.

I'm itching to start a shooter, I'll need to install Division 2 I think. Battlefront 2 just got a big update recently but I'm bored with that, and didn't even check out the new stuff.

Oct 25, 2017
There's more. You need to put on something on your head just to play, get that something in the first place, a lot of free space, jumping all over the place after a long day at work. Too much trouble.
It's also e x p e n s i v e and there's a chance you flatout cannot physically use it.

Add everything together and the barrier of entry is insane.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
It's also e x p e n s i v e and there's a chance you flatout cannot physically use it.

Aren't there headsets or modes in VR games that wouldn't require moving your body? My understanding from seein HL Alyx is that it could be played seated.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Damn, CDPR messed up the last patch of Gwent. Currency to unlock cosmetics is harder to earn. Monthly goals are renewed every year, which means people are not able to complete this month what they started in March 2019. Duplicate cards are automatically milled, but there is a bug, so you get close to nothing instead. There is a big lag when using a few specific abilities. And so on.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
I have a friend who cannot play almost any first person games. VR makes him puke very fast.
Yeah VR games have that first person view going on for them, so that is one disadvantage in case one isn't accustomed to FPS view ^^; Hell I don't think I could recommend VR to anyone who gets nausiated from FPS view style games.

zoku88

Oct 27, 2017
AC7 also doesn't have it. I wonder if there is some kind of exclusivity deal.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
Imagine Counter Strike VR. You have some big esports event going on, with players standing, each one with a VR headset. The skill ceiling is extremely high, because they aim their guns for real, and they have to crouch, stand up, and move in VR, which requires super-human spatial cognition. It goes on for an hour, and suddenly, one of them gets nauseated. There is a 10-min break before the competition can go on. A nurse comes to tend to the feverish player. Esports can become really tensed for the spectators.

More seriously, I think VR can become mainstream for customers eager to play first-person perspective shooters. VR allows them to be in control of the gun and ammo, interact with the environment and aim precisely. So, it is a dream come true for them.

Players of horror games must be really eager to play in VR too, for the immersive aspect.

I could see myself play a game like Obduction or Skyrim, or walking simulators, in VR out of curiosity. Here, it is the interaction with the environment which is the main selling point.

With HL:Alyx, there is a bit of shooter, horror, and puzzle. So it combines the most straightforward successful applications of VR.

An application of VR, which I find revolutionary, is Beat Saber. Not for me though. It will be interesting to find out other creative applications of VR.

Last edited:

ArjanN

Oct 25, 2017

I feel VR is something the gaming media might acually know more about than it's audience for once, lol.

Maybe "bad" was a wrong word. More like outdated. It feels like such a big step down after RE2 remake. A can't freely rotate camera with right stick and I cant move while aiming, and in general tank controls feel weird in 3rd person shooter.

It's more just unique IMO. The whole game is also designed around your controls. You have more control in the RE2 remake but the tradeoff there is that you're almost in cramped corridors as opposed to the more open environements in RE4.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Part of the reasons I gave are also the form factor, although that has been getting better, with much more ergonomic and light headsets. The lack of space is a bit blown over as a ton of experiences only require as much space as you sitting down in a chair and not do much physical effort (than moving the upper body).

I put price in there as a problem for current VR! People physically not being able to use is something that has constantly improved as the "trick the body to think it actually is reality" jump gets smaller and smaller (and devs learn to develop games / experiences around VR instead of porting non-VR experiences into it, as they are developed with other "human limits" in mind). CV1 to Rift S jump was very good on that regard.

I have a friend who cannot play almost any first person games. VR makes him puke very fast.

Indeed. If VR is to someday be the mainstream future of the gaming medium, it will make it a highly ableist and exclusionary one.
As I say, I see VR as another medium gaming can be in, not the only medium gaming will be in the future. VR also can have some other utilities outside of gaming that can help society (and most of the people with physical differences can take advantage on).

Imagine Counter Strike VR. You have some big esports event going on, with players standing, each one with a VR headset. The skill ceiling is extremely high, because they aim their guns for real, and they have to crouch, stand up, and move in VR. It goes on for an hour, and suddenly, one of them gets nauseated.

Esports can become really tensed for the spectators.
I dont see any esport happening in VR for a looong time. Mainly because that would be more physically taxing than anything.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
They stutter a lot during Steam segment lol.

Well nothing to interesting was talked in that video. They were vague and "biggest" thing in entire video is that they were scared that they adjusted game based feedback from smaller audience. And they talked in the end how great Steam reviews mean a lot to them. They still did say few BS things like Epic Store launch was better for them for Early, Early Access and things like that.

Oct 25, 2017
Imagine Counter Strike VR. You have some big esports event going on, with players standing, each one with a VR headset. The skill ceiling is extremely high, because they aim their guns for real, and they have to crouch, stand up, and move in VR, which requires super-human spatial cognition. It goes on for an hour, and suddenly, one of them gets nauseated. There is a 10-min break before the competition can go on. A nurse comes to tend to the feverish player. Esports can become really tensed for the spectators.
So, paintball/airsoft competitions? :v
Well nothing to interesting was talked in that video. They were vague and "biggest" thing in entire video is that they were scared that they adjusted game based feedback from smaller audience. And they talked in the end how great Steam reviews mean a lot to them. They still did say few BS things like Epic Store launch was better for them for Early, Early Access and things like that.
Seeing a live discussion of developers trying to figure out the ideal trailer for their store page is the definition of "interesting" to me lol
Plenty of neat nuggets about development overall.

Wok

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
France
The interesting applications of VR so far are:
  • first-person shooters,
  • horror games,
  • light puzzle games,
  • rhythm games.
Am I missing something? For instance, is Moss a puzzle game? Or does it belong to a new genre which can only exist in VR?

spineduke

Oct 25, 2017
  • first-person shooters,
  • horror games,
  • light puzzle games,
  • rhythm games.
Am I missing something? For instance, is Moss a puzzle game? Or does it belong to a new genre which can only exist in VR?

Creation - things like sculpting/painting/building

Chairmanchuck (另一个我)

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
China
  • first-person shooters,
  • horror games,
  • light puzzle games,
  • rhythm games.

Social games.

MP Games in VR are on another level. Stuff like Climbey or Rec Room are a bit like Wii Sports, but the interactions in VR in a "virtual environment" where you feel you are with them is on a whole other level.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
  • first-person shooters,
  • horror games,
  • light puzzle games,
  • rhythm games.
Moss is a puzzle-ish game.

Still, a ton of other genres that are first-person can be translated to VR easily. RPGs (such as skyrim), Adventure games (Lone Echo), Walking simulators, racing, strategy (with you visualizing the entire map from a top position),...
Most of the games have just been done on those 4 genres because they are the easier ones to translate from normal design to VR design.

Creation - things like sculpting/painting/building
I would count that as other use of VR, not as a gaming thing per se.

Social games.

MP Games in VR are on another level. Stuff like Climbey or Rec Room are a bit like Wii Sports, but the interactions in VR in a "virtual environment" where you feel you are with them is on a whole other level.
Same as above. VR (and the combination with AR once that is improved in 8+ years) will revolutionize social communication. That is the main reason Facebook invested on them. They are the future of social networks.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Also, "driving" games, either in space, or in a car. These are VR games sorted by "player peak":

Jwz11lN.png
The main problem as of now is that a ton of genres are not cost efficient yet for VR (increased costs + small userbase), so you end up with ports. Skyrim VR and No Man Sky are pretty good games with VR (even if the integration is still not that optimal).

Status
Not open for further replies.