Status
Not open for further replies.

Elven_Star

Oct 27, 2017
last year I tried Nobara and I tried Left 4 Dead 2, CS2, and Team Fortress 2 on it. All of them crashed after under a hour. Idk if they were a driver issue or a game issue.

I assumed all the Valve games would be safe bets for trying out Linux
Well, I have tried Chained Echoes and Octopath Traveler 2 and both run perfectly fine. Downloading bigger games is going to be difficult (shitty internet) but if protondb is anything to go by, they should be fine too. I'm on Mint btw.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Enjoying Watch Dogs 2. Really like the open world, love the sunny setting, and the characters are fun and it's a nice contrast to the gritty tone of 1.

I do miss the cyberpunk vibes a bit though, and the open world even though technically better does lose a bit of atmosphere.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
Started Life is Strange True Colors yesterday on my Deck. It runs surprisingly great at High settings, 85% resolution and more-less locked 40FPS. IT is really enjoyable experience on Deck and so far i like Alex and the rest of the town folks.

chrominance

Sky Van Gogh
Oct 25, 2017
I was planning on dual booting linux, primarily using that, and just having windows as kind of a backup for games that weren't working, using a shared library between them both

turns out that is far more difficult than i initially thought, and very much not worth the effort, so need to reconsider options.

Even following valve's official guidance for mounting a shared NTFS steam library from win10/11, into linux, i wasn't able to get it working consistently. just too many edge cases, and you're doing too many work arounds to get stuff even working at all.

If they could support that in a kind of intelligent way, where all the linux exclusive files (including /compatdata/ etc) were always stored locally on the linux FS, then the bulk meat of the game could just be mounted in via NTFS, that would be ideal, but thats ofc an extremely weird and low priority use case presumably.

Maybe when Steam OS 3.0 finally launches i'll just go to that full time and sack w11 entirely. My PC is basically entirely for gaming anyway so i'm happy just using the steam OS entirely for that.

Can you elaborate on the challenges you faced getting dual boot to work? I've been thinking about making the switch as well but didn't want to immediately give up Windows, and trying to migrate my current Windows install into a VM seemed like enough of a pain that I didn't want to bother. Dual boot was going to be the next option I investigated.

Dave.

Oct 27, 2017
I was planning on dual booting linux, primarily using that, and just having windows as kind of a backup for games that weren't working, using a shared library between them both

turns out that is far more difficult than i initially thought, and very much not worth the effort, so need to reconsider options.

Even following valve's official guidance for mounting a shared NTFS steam library from win10/11, into linux, i wasn't able to get it working consistently. just too many edge cases, and you're doing too many work arounds to get stuff even working at all.

If they could support that in a kind of intelligent way, where all the linux exclusive files (including /compatdata/ etc) were always stored locally on the linux FS, then the bulk meat of the game could just be mounted in via NTFS, that would be ideal, but thats ofc an extremely weird and low priority use case presumably.

Maybe when Steam OS 3.0 finally launches i'll just go to that full time and sack w11 entirely. My PC is basically entirely for gaming anyway so i'm happy just using the steam OS entirely for that.

I'm sure you have your reasons, but sharing the library seems unnecessary? Just install most games on Linux, install the odd troublemaker that you need to reboot to Windows for on Windows? Maybe you could have a NAS share mounted from both and that might work?

Jan 20, 2023
Yeah, basically i just wanted to have a single library (on my secondary hard drive, 2TB NVME), and then i have my primary hard drive split down the middle 500gb/500gb windows and linux. The 2TB nvme doesn't need to be partitioned or split that way, its just the steam library, all works for everything, no issues.

I foolishly thought i could just add the same steam library folder to an install on both OS's and no fuss no muss, but unfortunately thats not the case since there isn't really a good way to have a read and write file system that both linux and windows are happy with, and if you're wanting to force compatibility on all windows only games via proton etc, then you need write access to the steam library.

So you can do that via mounting ntfs, but that doesn't support linux file permissions so it doesn't really work all that well. You can get around that by doing a symlink for the compatdata folder that is really the root of the issue with proton, and just force that to be hosted on the linux FS, but then you have other issues with lower case stuff not translating right, etc etc. When i fixed one issue, another one popped up and i was just chasing my tail. Also steam doesn't really like having a shared library between linux and windows anyway. Native windows or linux games keep getting their respective unique files overwritten when you boot to the other OS.

basically it is a silly idea but I thought it would be lovely and neat. The sensible way is indeed just to use linux as the primary, and only have windows there with it's own local library for any troublemakers. I'll get to that.

Also i've never considered running a steam library from a NAS but i do have an unraid with 30TB~ free space...

Wonder how that performs.

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
kNu9lWW.png

Whoever designed Chapter 3 C-Side should be beaten to death with hammers.

mcxOmWi.png

Suffercon 2024 continues though.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Suffercon 2024 continues though.
Remember this, about 20,000 deaths ago? 😁

www.resetera.com

PC Gaming Era | April 2024 - Kingdom Hearts Watch: Year 3 PC - Valve - OT

Anyway, got to Chapter 4 of Celeste and it's showing why I really don't like platformers. Obtuse mechanics, no tutorials, mocking with constant death. It's one thing to do pixel perfect moves under pressure with the screen screaming at you, but when you're stuck just staring at the screen...

OP
OP
Uzzy

Uzzy

Gabe’s little helper
Oct 25, 2017
Hull, UK
Remember this, about 20,000 deaths ago? 😁

www.resetera.com

PC Gaming Era | April 2024 - Kingdom Hearts Watch: Year 3 PC - Valve - OT

Anyway, got to Chapter 4 of Celeste and it's showing why I really don't like platformers. Obtuse mechanics, no tutorials, mocking with constant death. It's one thing to do pixel perfect moves under pressure with the screen screaming at you, but when you're stuck just staring at the screen...

YES

THE SUFFERING CONTINUES

beOEcK3.png

AND IT'S FUCKING WINDY

Jan 20, 2023
on a non silly note, how is darkest dungeon on

a) steam deck
b) ios

for somebody that has never played it and thinks it might be a good bed time game?

its very cheap on steam so i should probably just buy it and find out, but it seems like a kinda interface heavy game? idk

FallenGrace

Oct 27, 2017

a) steam deck
b) ios

for somebody that has never played it and thinks it might be a good bed time game?

its very cheap on steam so i should probably just buy it and find out, but it seems like a kinda interface heavy game? idk
Haven't played it on deck yet but it's a turn based RPG so essentially you need a D-pad to move through menus is all. I imagine on deck it would play fantastic. It did on the PS4.

5taquitos

Oct 27, 2017
OR

a) steam deck
b) ios

I used to play this on Vita in bed and it put me to sleep in a few minutes without fail (but it's a good game)

Oct 25, 2017
Taiwan

a) steam deck
b) ios

If it runs fine on my phone via steam link. I been using SL on my phone for over a decade though I mainly use it when I am out of my home when I am with the family in-laws.

Prepare to lose dudes!

Androidsleeps

Oct 27, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.