giphy.gif
What
The Fuck
Is that

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What in the world is this article

What do you mean it learns? What are the 720 sexes and for the uninformed what does that mean/how are you quantifying it?

Am I missing something?

FaceHugger

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
It looks like something from the tasting menu of a gourmet restaurant, it's missing a smear of some colorful kind of sauce across the plate and a sprinkling of some kind of green salad.

Deleted member 20284

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Well at least it is shit at connect the dots.

The blob also has almost 720 sexes, can move without legs or wings and heals itself in two minutes if cut in half.

"It surprises us because it has no brain but is able to learn (...) and if you merge two blobs, the one that has learned will transmit its knowledge to the other," David added.

Great now this genetic root of all evil remembers humans cut it in half over and over, we're the aliens probing shit until it comes back to haunt us.

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
What in the world is this article

What do you mean it learns? What are the 720 sexes and for the uninformed what does that mean/how are you quantifying it?

Am I missing something?

Since it's been hard to find any actual scientific writings on the organism, I'll take a stab at it.

You can imagine an organism with 3 mating types: mating type A can mate with mating type B or mating type C to form viable offspring, but not other mating type As. Similarly, B can form offspring with As or Cs, but not other Bs. Each mating type would constitute a "sex".

boontobias

Avenger
Apr 14, 2018
By sexes, do they simply mean genetic replication compatibilities?

As in Key X opens Lock X but not Lock Y which is opened by Key Y

Deleted member 2761

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
By sexes, do they simply mean genetic replication compatibilities?

As in Key X opens Lock X but not Lock Y which is opened by Key Y

Sort of. I found a paper in 2010 that looked a slime mold with 3 mating types and it essentially works out as I outlined above. Unfortunately it's not a well-studied organism so the exact determinants of these mating types is unknown.

Feb 13, 2018
Japan
720 sexes and no brain? Sounds like the Democrat Party if you ask me, folks!

(Excerpt from my new Netflix comedy special "BANNED from College Campuses for Free Speech")

Modest_Modsoul

Living the Dreams
Oct 29, 2017
Looks like another material for Part III for cordyceps vs the blob.

Better yet, cordyceps + the blob = ???

Window

Oct 27, 2017
I read the full article, surprised zoo staff doesn't talk about how they discovered it.
That's what I was curious about too. The article is light on details for such an amazing discovery.

Edit: okay those tweets explain this bizarre article. It's just PR for a zoo with little basis in fact.

Last edited:

Psittacus

Oct 27, 2017
For those curious about the 720 sexes thing that indeed seems to mean more or less exactly what it sounds like to the best of my understanding
Yeah I was just reading about this and that's what they mean

They have 3 different types of sex gene, each of which has multiple variants.

So MatA1 MatB5 MatC2 is sexually compatible with everything except another MatA1 MatB5 MatC2 and so on