DrewFu

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt-account
Banned
Apr 19, 2018
Eh, this wasn't as cool as I had hoped.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
"It behaves very surprisingly for something that looks like a mushroom (...) it has the behavior of an animal, it is able to learn."

aUWUjDK.gif

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
is it the yellow stuff on top of the ribs?

edit:

the fuck is it learning?
Everything.

In a 2010 paper, oatflakes were dispersed to represent Tokyo and 36 surrounding towns.[5][6] P. polycephalum created a network similar to the existing train system, and "with comparable efficiency, fault tolerance, and cost". Similar results have been shown based on road networks in the United Kingdom[7] and the Iberian peninsula (i.e., Spain and Portugal).[8] Some researchers claim that P. polycephalum is even able to solve the NP-hard Steiner minimum tree problem.[9]

Bear

Oct 25, 2017
Why the shit would they not release video alongside this? So many questions.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
What the fuck?

What is going on?

Is this performative art?

I have so many questions.

edit: Physarum polycephalum is the scientific name.

Is this a meme? Nothing about this makes sense. Viral halloween thing? Major scientific discovery, no mention of the origin, and it's at a fuckin zoo?

^

SpitztheGreat

May 16, 2019
Nothing about this seems natural or like a good idea. Honestly, if you told me this was alien life I could believe it.

Absent Uncle

Oct 25, 2017
Oslo
From Wikipedia:
Even though complex computations using Physarum as a substrate are currently not possible, researchers have successfully used the organism's reaction to its environment in a USB sensor[20] and to control a robot.

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
In a 2010 paper, oatflakes were dispersed to represent Tokyo and 36 surrounding towns.[5][6] P. polycephalum created a network similar to the existing train system, and "with comparable efficiency, fault tolerance, and cost". Similar results have been shown based on road networks in the United Kingdom[7] and the Iberian peninsula (i.e., Spain and Portugal).[8] Some researchers claim that P. polycephalum is even able to solve the NP-hard Steiner minimum tree problem.[9]

That's.. really creepy. So it's like some kind of living brain matter that can do anything ?

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
Slime molds are super cool. Also, the part of their body that produces spores is called a Sporange, which rhymes with orange. So that's cool, too.