chadskin

Oct 27, 2017

r

PARIS (Reuters) - A Paris zoo showcased a mysterious new organism on Wednesday, dubbed the "blob", a yellowish unicellular small living being which looks like a fungus but acts like an animal.

This newest exhibit of the Paris Zoological Park, which goes on display to the public on Saturday, has no mouth, no stomach, no eyes, yet it can detect food and digest it.

The blob also has almost 720 sexes, can move without legs or wings and heals itself in two minutes if cut in half.
"The blob is a living being which belongs to one of nature's mysteries", said Bruno David, director of the Paris Museum of Natural History, of which the Zoological Park is part.

"It surprises us because it has no brain but is able to learn (...) and if you merge two blobs, the one that has learned will transmit its knowledge to the other," David added.

[mod edit: article truncated]

Last edited by a moderator:

Nepenthe

When the music hits, you feel no pain.
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I hear the sound of a bunch of TERFS melting.

Halbrand

Oct 27, 2017
The blob can move without legs or wings and heals itself in two minutes if cut in half.

"It surprises us because it has no brain but is able to learn (...) and if you merge two blobs, the one that has learned will transmit its knowledge to the other," David added.
tenor.gif

Noisepurge

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
yeah that´ll definitely devour the humanrace when it escapes captivity, i´ve seen The Thing

J-Tier

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Southern California
This is cool. I've been wanting to see weirder things showcased in zoos.

Like imagine if a zoo made a faux intestinal tract with a window on one side and a living tapeworm in it.

Give me the fascinating and weird.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wish the article provided a rough idea of what is considered a 'sex' of a fungus like that and how it can have so many.

Also the pic in OP looks like a chicken leg.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
How does one determine the sex of a blob? How does anything about this creature/fungus even work? I am so confused.

MazeHaze

Nov 1, 2017
Is this a meme? Nothing about this makes sense. Viral halloween thing? Major scientific discovery, no mention of the origin, and it's at a fuckin zoo?

Akira86

Oct 25, 2017
So they tell us it's a blob, but show us a plate of lemon herb crusted, roasted short ribs?

jpv_13

Oct 30, 2017
Yup this is how we all die.

Something that can't be hurt, has no brain, and eats everything in it's path...