Deleted member 30544

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Had mine back in August, was just a balloon with the name and family present who have been living with us throughout the whole pandemic. Was a very happy day for us.

Im deeply sorry for this person and his family. I can not fathom the extreme pain they are experiencing right now, a day which was supposed to be happy ended in tragedy.

Jon_Sama

Aug 19, 2018
What a tragic incident, feels like the internet has brought one-upmanship to absurd heights, resulting in awful incidents like this.

Man, imagine being the kid, learning later in life how your father died. So unneccessary.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Dumb motherfucker.

Dabbling with explosives just to tell people what's between your baby's legs.
Most of these people generally enjoy explosives and would blow themselves up at some point regardless, the gender reveals are just the ones that get reported on since that topic in particular gets people riled up. People die every year from falling off ladders while hanging Christmas lights, but that doesn't get clicks since hanging Christmas lights doesn't rile anyone up like gender reveal parties do.

ElNino

Nov 6, 2017
What ever happened to just going to get your ultrasound where they tell (and show) you what the gender is? I don't think I'll ever understand this trend.

Well, that or just waiting until it is born.

Aug 30, 2020
Pretty sure these are just mad bomber types looking for any excuse to make dangerous weapons. It happens when no gender reveal is involved. One of my school mates blew his hand off making a pipe bomb. It's not fucking normal.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Pretty sure these are just mad bomber types looking for any excuse to make dangerous weapons. It happens when no gender reveal is involved. One of my school mates blew his hand off making a pipe bomb. It's not fucking normal.
Someone could probably get away with a store selling weapons for domestic terrorism disguised as a sex reveal party store at this point.
"Yes, in this corner we have explosives strong enough to burn down an entire state"

Tya

Oct 30, 2017
Most of these people generally enjoy explosives and would blow themselves up at some point regardless, the gender reveals are just the ones that get reported on since that topic in particular gets people riled up. People die every year from falling off ladders while hanging Christmas lights, but that doesn't get clicks since hanging Christmas lights doesn't rile anyone up like gender reveal parties do.

LOL. How can you possibly think this is true?

Chirotera

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Why does this keep happening?? Is some DIY YouTube channel suggesting explosives or some shit???

WHY IS THIS WORTH IT. Do the cake thing!!! it's delicious and only lethal to your heart in large doses...why must there be boom?!

Don't even do the cake thing. Literally no one beyond the parents/grand parents gives a shit.

Thebox

Dec 26, 2019
Noone cares enough, including myself, for me to try and put together an explosive device for a gender reveal. I don't care what gender my child is. They will be loved the same either way. Some people just need the attention I guess. Hell, you can buy gender reveal fireworks if you wanna have a show. That would be alot safer than trying to make your own pyrotechnics.

The Real Abed

Oct 25, 2017
Pennsylvania
My roommate bought a box and put a bunch of baby clothes in it all nice and packed and gave it to her boyfriend/baby daddy and she was happy. I don't understand people who think this is a good idea. If you have to do one to satisfy your ego or whatever just do the cake or some harmless reveal. People are so addicted to TikTok popularity that will be gone in like 5 minutes when people have scrolled to the next video. Why bother?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
I'm having my first baby, and while I did neither a baby shower nor a gender reveal (and may not even do a baby registry -- also, we didn't have a bridal shower, wedding, or wedding registry, and donated all the money from my work for our work-sponsored engagement party to sponsor a child overseas).... some of y'all need to chill with your weird hate of other people's gender reveal or baby showers or whatever parties.

It's sad that he died, even worse over something like this.

I'm not against parties, I'm against gender reveal parties because they feel transphobic even if that's not the intention.

Jive Turkey

Oct 25, 2017
I have a baby coming in August. I just wanted to post whatever its gender is on social media be done with it. My wife wants to do a gender reveal type deal with one of these mechanisms. Obviously, not blowing something up but still, I'm not feeling it.
My mother-in-law was loudly complaining about my wife and I not having a big reveal for our daughter (even we didn't know her sex). I thought about making a card for her with a silhouette of a robot, baby, and alien with a green check over the baby along with the caption of "It's a human!"

Unfortunately, our daughter arrived a few weeks earlier than anticipated and I never got the chance.

Saturday

One Winged Slayer - Shinra Employee
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
The amount of people injured by gender reveals seems so small, but often blown up in social media. I wonder about the actual number.

Without researching, I'd humbly argue it's in the double digits, but I'm not confident it's hit 20+ reported cases, if only to retain my sanity about the common sense of the general public. It's a losing battle.

Oct 31, 2017
i mean its sad for the kid but its not like i feel anything, they fucked up while doing something i find stupid and thats about the only impact it makes on my life

theres something about the idea of this real misery coming from something thats so utterly banal and ridiculous that just like....makes me feel detached from the human experience for lack of being able to find any other emotions in it
It really puts into perspective how utterly meaningless everything is

But IMO I'm more of an optimistic nihilist. Life is what you make of it and all that jazz

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The amount of people injured by gender reveals seems so small, but often blown up in social media. I wonder about the actual number.

Without researching, I'd humbly argue it's in the double digits, but I'm not confident it's hit 20+ reported cases, if only to retain my sanity about the common sense of the general public. It's a losing battle.

I mean, 1 is technically too many. 20 makes me wonder why it keeps getting attempted.

A kid grows up with one less parent, and for what? Just sad.

Right??? Im just trying to think how this even gets brought up without tons of bitterness about it. Poor kid is orphaned because parents were celebrating them. >_o This might be presumtuous, but what an awful and pretty permanent weight on the consciousness. :/

Stencil

Oct 30, 2017
USA
This is so stupid on so many levels. It makes me wonder if they were okay, mentally/emotionally. This goes for everyone who's suffered this fate but, like, seriously:

1. You're making a huge deal about a baby's genitalia and,
2. No one fucking cares.
3. Gender is a construct.
4. In spite of #2, you want to make a big show of it.
5. But not just any show, a show so big that you can presumably post it on social media, why? Are you not happy for the occasion without internet approval?
6. You're not only making a show of it, you're doing it to an extent that it could end lives. Not only yours, but many lives, including your unborn child --
7. The child whom has NO SAY in any of this!!!

I know we're all mostly on the same page I just needed to write it out because what the fuck is the matter with people.

If only he could have done this before he passed along his genes.
This ^^^

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Ugh, RIP. A kid is going to grow up without their father.

Why all this extra shit? Just tell folks the gender of you want and have a baby shower. Why this need for all the pageantry? Please don't tell me it's just for social media clout...

Mammoth Jones

Oct 25, 2017
New York
Don't even do the cake thing. Literally no one beyond the parents/grand parents gives a shit.

Outside of just wanting to know my wife and I didn't give a shit. No cake. No nothing. It didn't even occur to us to do anything just about knowing we were having a girl.

We had a baby shower and it was nice but we just told people when they asked. That was that.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
The parties are an excuse to throw a bbq or a get together where the "main event" is revealing a color that corresponds to whether you're having a boy or girl. It could be the color of confetti hidden in balloons that you pop, or maybe the color of frosting inside a cupcake, or even just a sign that gets unfurled. Some people want to up the theatrics and make productions out of it like shooting fireworks or in this case, manually building an explosive device.

At a small scale it's pretty fun and harmless but you end up with people who try to do things that at the very least should be handled by a professional. People have been killing themselves over stupid things for a long time though. They'll kill or injure themselves ingesting ground cinnamon and tide pods, or planking on their balcony 7th floor balcony, or making horrible YouTube prank videos, or any other dumb thing that's going to catch on in the future.
I see, thank you!

Arthands

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Tbh, I'm on FB since 2007 and some of my friends' kids are taller than their moms now and I have never seen any of this bullshit gender reveal on my wall. Maybe people around me are sane.
Same. I think it is irresponsible to blame everything to social media. Me and everyone on my fb list keep our political views, job matters etc off social media, only sharing normal stuffs like food photo or selfies at times that's all.

Wackamole

Oct 27, 2017
Tbh, I'm on FB since 2007 and some of my friends' kids are taller than their moms now and I have never seen any of this bullshit gender reveal on my wall. Maybe people around me are sane.
This. I don't know anyone who does this dumb shit. Just have your child, celebrate the birth and be a good parent.

Last edited:

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
It's a drinking event. Don't even do it. I had 4 kids, not one reveal, and have been plenty drunk before and since. Grab a case of Coors and tell anyone within 12' your kids gender which they give 0 fucks about, and puke in a toilet like the overstressed parent the rest of us are.

Dying over this shit ain't worth it.

Don't get me started on birthing plans...

Emergency & I

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Really sad and frustrating.

An aside, we just did ours on Instagram. It involved a PS5, a bikini and cats. No pyrotechnics. It was both successful and fun.

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Is there, like, a big popular Instagram people are following that talks about how great gender reveals are, because I don't understand how this keeps happening. The only news we ever see about them is something going horribly wrong.

Plus we're still in a flipping pandemic.
Dumb people see a trending YouTube video and they're like derp I have no explosives experience but I should be fine.

Skade

Oct 28, 2017
I never understood why those "gender reveal parties" even exists.

Here in France it's usually : "Hey guys, my baby will be a girl/boy !" "Yeah ! Congrats !". And that's it, end of story. Why would you feel the need to make such a fuss about it ? Especially by building weird (dangerous) contraptions to do so ?

Minilla

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tokyo
The whole idea of a gender reveal party seems a tad indulgent and excessive to me, but whatever other folks like i guess.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I never understood why those "gender reveal parties" even exists.

Here in France it's usually : "Hey guys, my baby will be a girl/boy !" "Yeah ! Congrats !". And that's it, end of story. Why would you feel the need to make such a fuss about it ? Especially by building weird (dangerous) contraptions to do so ?

Because social media-obsessed people want validation.