• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
Soon we will have a entire generation with a very strange talking point to bond over.
"How many people died in your Sex Reveal Party?"
It will be like talking about the weather.

KarmaCow

Oct 25, 2017
This is one of those things that is utterly incomprehensible. I don't understand it on any level.

Deleted member 721

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
its a stupid trendy type of party imo the whole idea of it, no one cares for the gender, maybe even the kid doesnt identify with that gender in the future, there's already baby shower to celebrate the child and give stuff, but people create more useless type of parties like 1 month birthday party etc
there's better ways to show love for the kid than that

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Please don't do gender reveal parties at all, it's 2021 and non-cisgender people exist.

psynergyadept

Shinra Employee
Oct 26, 2017
just get a damn cake and ballons...It's incredibly sad the soon to be child(along with the rest of the family) will grow and without a dad and how he died...

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Is this strictly an American stupidity ? I don't think I've ever seen non-US news about grand gender reveal parties.
Got to be, I've never seen anything like it from any of my friends across Europe and plenty of them have a had kids.

People just go too far sometimes

Senator Toadstool

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I hate hate hate gender reveal parties. Just tell people what your expecting not throw a big extravagant thing.

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
I feel like people in this thread are getting too used to dunking on people for buying into culture hype, even if it's dumb as shit. Dude is died, his kid will have no father, and I doubt he was even aware it was a dumb thing to do.

CrunchyFrog

Oct 28, 2017
I feel awful for the families and kids left behind, but I also feel like there are few Darwin awards more deserved than these. Fucking stupid doesn't even begin to describe it. I'm legit angry that somehow MORE THAN ONE PERSON has to be told why this kinda stuff just isn't worth it.

Poppy

Oct 25, 2017
richmond, va
i mean its sad for the kid but its not like i feel anything, they fucked up while doing something i find stupid and thats about the only impact it makes on my life

theres something about the idea of this real misery coming from something thats so utterly banal and ridiculous that just like....makes me feel detached from the human experience for lack of being able to find any other emotions in it

Riddler

Oct 25, 2017
Have some friends over. Have some balloons and cake. Reveal GENDER. Everyone eats cake. 1 too many people dead over this.

Chopchop

Oct 25, 2017
Completely pointless.

All this one-upping isn't even for the kid. It's just to show off on social media. And now that tacky posturing bullshit is costing lives.

Nov 1, 2017
What is gender-reveal device? I'm not familiar with these kind of parties and devices.
The parties are an excuse to throw a bbq or a get together where the "main event" is revealing a color that corresponds to whether you're having a boy or girl. It could be the color of confetti hidden in balloons that you pop, or maybe the color of frosting inside a cupcake, or even just a sign that gets unfurled. Some people want to up the theatrics and make productions out of it like shooting fireworks or in this case, manually building an explosive device.

At a small scale it's pretty fun and harmless but you end up with people who try to do things that at the very least should be handled by a professional. People have been killing themselves over stupid things for a long time though. They'll kill or injure themselves ingesting ground cinnamon and tide pods, or planking on their balcony 7th floor balcony, or making horrible YouTube prank videos, or any other dumb thing that's going to catch on in the future.

Pet

More helpful than the IRS
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
I'm having my first baby, and while I did neither a baby shower nor a gender reveal (and may not even do a baby registry -- also, we didn't have a bridal shower, wedding, or wedding registry, and donated all the money from my work for our work-sponsored engagement party to sponsor a child overseas).... some of y'all need to chill with your weird hate of other people's gender reveal or baby showers or whatever parties.

It's sad that he died, even worse over something like this.

Nov 5, 2017
I have a baby coming in August. I just wanted to post whatever its gender is on social media be done with it. My wife wants to do a gender reveal type deal with one of these mechanisms. Obviously, not blowing something up but still, I'm not feeling it.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
A woman gorilla glues her hair and people bend over backwards with excuses and threads get locked for calling her an idiot. But when a dude accidentally kills himself at a gender reveal party and all bets are off man!

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
DHS going to start putting these on the domestic terror list

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I got a homemade oreo with blue sprinkles inside from my sister, that was the extent of her reveal party. I didn't even know she was pregnant until then.

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
One of these days, a soldier will be awarded the Medal of Honor for jumping on a sex reveal grenade, saving the lives of dozens.

DiipuSurotu

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh ok maybe I misread something, there's another product she uses that was gorilla something right?
Nope. There's another product in the world that has Gorilla in its name, but it's not what she had in her home. In her home she had her normal hair product and the Gorilla Glue product (probably stored in her garage or whatever).

SAINT_

Banned
Oct 4, 2020
This was obviously a terrible mistake with little more to discuss, and due to the level of distress involved and the need for empathy and assistance rather than mockery, this thread is closed to further replies.

This was the lock reason for one of the Gorilla Glue threads. Going by that, this one should be closed too.

Kyrios

Oct 27, 2017
And in 2019, a 56-year-old grandmother was killed when her family made a pipe bomb that exploded while planning a gender-reveal event. The family had gathered at their home to experiment with different types of explosives so they could film the announcement for social media.

2pNVFk1.jpg

Cation

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Hard fact about gender reveal mechanisms, no one cares. They just come for the party.

Such a shame in this case.

dhlt25

Oct 27, 2017
gender reveal and all those baby parties are so dumb. I don't give a shit about your baby

Soupman Prime

The Fallen
Nov 8, 2017
Boston, MA
Feel like texting this story and the countless others to my sister who's expecting. Just seems so silly, I been to one gender reveal party and there were no explosives and nothing crazy. Just sad a child loses their parent because of this. When are these accidents going to make people rethink their crazy plans because they keep happening.

Gigglepoo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Gotta start prosecuting people who have dangerous gender reveal parties. Yeah, Dawin awards and all that, but these idiots aren't just endangering their own lives.

MechaJackie

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
A woman gorilla glues her hair and people bend over backwards with excuses and threads get locked for calling her an idiot. But when a dude accidentally kills himself at a gender reveal party and all bets are off man!
I mean, "woman gorilla glues her hair" is a very specific thing, you're talking about a specific individual which this has happened to.
"Dude kills himself with military grade explosives at sex reveal party" is an epidemic, no one is actually talking about X or Y person, this thing keeps happening every other week, at this point this an epidemic with a kill count higher than some (very minor) wars lol, people are mostly going "how the fuck does this keep happening"