Jul 16, 2023
I want an iconic Palworld theme song.

🎶I want to be the very best, the best thier ever waaaaaas
To piss Nintendo off is my real test, to give great graphics is my cause🎶

This is a joke

Last edited:

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
I'm avoiding this like a plague due to the popularity. I'm sorry but something that blows up this much is just too mainstream and too common denominator for my taste.

I have no idea of the quality but hope everyone that is playing is having fun. Popularity has never equated to quality imo and never will.
I don't typically do this, but I was genuinely curious and had to check your posts because I have to see what kind of stuff you play if you're saying stuff like this.

…..your number 1 pick for GOTY in the voting thread was Baldur's Gate 3, which saw a similar explosion in popularity and is the most mainstream game in the genre. You also had the best selling game of last year on your list.

What changed in the last month?

Merc

Jun 10, 2018
This game is really cool. Love the crafting and survival aspect of it. There's just so many options of stuff to do. Interested to see what updates they come up with.

St. Eam the 3rd

â–² Legend â–²
Aug 18, 2022
From my perspective this thing exploded like pubg back in the day, I have almost every steam Friend on this… And they were never interested in Pokémon(big on survival game tho).
But now they jumped out and are interested in Pokémon lol, I think this will only increase the genere popularity overall and thanks to that next main game on more powerful hardware will be even bigger imo, depending on how much more will it grow:).

Nintenleo

Nov 9, 2017
Italy
I bet 5 bucks that during the weekend we'll get the all-time active concurrent players record on Steam and the all-time concurrent bans record on ResetEra

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
From my perspective this thing exploded like pubg back in the day, I have almost every steam Friend on this… And they were never interested in Pokémon(big on survival game tho).
But now they jumped out because and are interested in Pokémon lol, I think this will only increase the genere popularity overall and thanks to that next main game on more powerful hardware will be even bigger imo, depending on how much more will it grow:).
Your friends don't care about Pokemon, played this and quit it immediately to play Pokemon?

Yoshimitsu126

The Fallen
Nov 11, 2017
United States
Of topic but I wonder if Pokemon Go and Switch is the only reason why Pokemon sales aren't declining. The series is definitely trying new stuff with Legends and the open world gameplay in Gen 9. But if the games keep getting rushed and buggy, we might fall back to sub 20 million sales which is still a lot but may not be enough if they keep dropping and costs go up.

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
But now they jumped out and are interested in Pokémon lol, I think this will only increase the genere popularity overall and thanks to that next main game on more powerful hardware will be even bigger imo, depending on how much more will it grow:).

They gonna be in for a rude awakening when they find out this and pokemon are not even remotely close to similar lol

SimplyComplex

May 23, 2018
I hope they hire a composer or someone to make more music relatively soon. The soundscape is so barren which really hinders the exploration and really the whole game since there's so much downtime.

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
I think we'll get word of 7 million in sales tomorrow, and then it will hit 8 million around Saturday.

giancarlo123x

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Screen_Shot_2016-08-01_at_12.34.21_PM.0.0.1470069300.png

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Of topic but I wonder if Pokemon Go and Switch is the only reason why Pokemon sales aren't declining. The series is definitely trying new stuff with Legends and the open world gameplay in Gen 9. But if the games keep getting rushed and buggy, we might fall back to sub 20 million sales which is still a lot but may not be enough if they keep dropping and costs go up.
Most entries to major Nintendo IP have experienced drops when their sequels have released on the same platform; Xenoblade, Splatoon, Fire Emblem, and possibly TOTK are all experiencing this effect currently. This isn't uncommon for games in general; Mario Galaxy 2 performed less than Galaxy 1, Pokémon Black and White performed less than Pokémon Diamond and Pearl, and BW2 continued that downslide. Switch has bolstered a lot of IP but the franchise trends are still the same.

Scarlet and Violet is one of the few games to almost completely buck this trend, outselling Legends Arceus by a notable amount and being within spitting distance of Sword/Shield. That doesn't happen often. The history of same platform sequels that have more than doubled such high record weekend launch sales is probably difficult to find, and it goes to show that amid all the mass spread negativity and virality, the demand for Scarlet and Violet was very strong. The open world element had a huge impact on the mainstream audience's investment, and it's safe to assume it will be kept for future iterations for that purpose.

It's very difficult to predict what the next gen will have in store for performance because we don't even know yet how Switch 2 will maintain its software attach ratio. Pokémon has always been a high seller but its peak performance is still in the Gen 1 days when Red/Blue/Green alone sold over 31 million, on hardware that didnt move as many numbers as Switch did. See that's the funny thing about Palworld sales being compared; Pokémon didn't need 30 years of history to become a sales juggernaut either, game sales are just more frontloaded now than they were then.

St. Eam the 3rd

â–² Legend â–²
Aug 18, 2022
They gonna be in for a rude awakening when they find out this and pokemon are not even remotely close to similar lol
:), I think they are aware of the basic difference in gameplay because i was asked which game was more focused on online team battle of the mainline ones.. I asked in another thread because I don't know much about those games outside the dreadful performance and visual:).

Zebesian-X

Dec 3, 2018
Yeah I'm genuinely impressed with how Pokémon has evolved as a series over the last generation. Let's Go into Sword/Shield into Arceus into Scarlet/Violet, they made some real gameplay strides with every iteration. The technical state of these titles is by far their biggest stumbling block atm. And it's a major one! Stopped me from checking out Scarlet last year :/

I just don't see Palworld's success being some Game Freak wake up call that causes the execs realize they need to give their devs more time/resources for polish. I see a lot of people hoping for something like that and I'm not sure I understand the correlation

Rod

Oct 25, 2017

Maple

Oct 27, 2017
The series is definitely trying new stuff with Legends and the open world gameplay in Gen 9. But if the games keep getting rushed and buggy, we might fall back to sub 20 million sales which is still a lot but may not be enough if they keep dropping and costs go up.

The problem with Pokemon is that it's always 2 steps forward, 2 steps back.

Mega Evolutions were cool.....now were being inundated with cheap battle gimmicks that become stupider and more ridiculous over time.

The open world was cool.....until it came at the expense of having towns that have character, history, lore, and buildings and Pokemon Centers that can be entered, etc.

Other "new" stuff added each generation are just additional gimmick design to make you feel closer with your Pokemon: Sword/Shield had camps, and now with Scarlet/Viotlet we have picnics. All of which is incredibly boring and really just a waste of time. Somehow I feel a stronger bond to my creatures in Palworld by working alongside them doing meaningful things rather than interacting with them in some separate half-baked mini game.

To be honest, outside of Legends: Arceus, Game Freak actually hasn't shown much in the way of innovation or progress. The older games were mechanically *much* better RPGs with better regions and towns. The modern generation of games are just Pokemon catching simulators that have been diluted in nearly every other part of the game.

Chippewa Barr

Powered by Friendshipâ„¢
Aug 8, 2020
At some point, Nintendo should force them to step up
Nintendo will do nothing until it starts to impact their bottom line, and even then, the impact would have to be very apparent. Game Freak lives and dies on Pokemon so if TPC and/or Nintendo ever thought of bringing the games in-house without them, it'd be bad news. Pretty sure GF is only like 150 people so having them fire of yearly releases is probably torture...can't imagine the crunch.

I've always been fascinated who holds the keys when it comes to Pokemon games - TPC, Nintendo, or GF.

I've always suspected that TPC calls the shots with Nintendo providing input and GF being the whipping boy.

I'm avoiding this like a plague due to the popularity. I'm sorry but something that blows up this much is just too mainstream and too common denominator for my taste.

I have no idea of the quality but hope everyone that is playing is having fun. Popularity has never equated to quality imo and never will.
LMAO.

Okay I commend you on posting this since it either has to be absolute PEAK bait or, the much more likely depressing reality, it being a window into late-stage Era mentality.

Scary that I'm leaning to the latter lol.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo will do nothing until it starts to impact their bottom line, and even then, the impact would have to be very apparent. Game Freak lives and dies on Pokemon so if TPC and/or Nintendo ever thought of bringing the games in-house without them, it'd be bad news. Pretty sure GF is only like 150 people so having them fire of yearly releases is probably torture...can't imagine the crunch.

I've always been fascinated who holds the keys when it comes to Pokemon games - TPC, Nintendo, or GF.

I've always suspected that TPC calls the shots with Nintendo providing input and GF being the whipping boy.

LMAO.

Okay I commend you on posting this since it either has to be absolute PEAK bait or, the much more likely depressing reality, it being a window into late-stage Era mentality.

Scary that I'm leaning to the latter lol.
Nintendo is the one with all the leverage, as you said, Gamefreak dies without Pokemon, Nintendo would be just fine without it. It's pretty rare for Nintendo to apologize for the state of a game they publish so I actually do think we'll see some improvements going forward, it will just have to wait until Switch 2.

Spinluck

â–² Legend â–²
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Nintendo is the one with all the leverage, as you said, Gamefreak dies without Pokemon, Nintendo would be just fine without it. It's pretty rare for Nintendo to apologize for the state of a game they publish so I actually do think we'll see some improvements going forward, it will just have to wait until Switch 2.
How do they have all the leverage? They don't completely own Pokemon.

They have 32% shares in the company that does and don't have that much power in what they do.

People forget Nintendo didn't just come out and say, "hey we need you guys to make a Pokemon for Switch."

After Wii U and 3DS they waited to port the engine over to Switch because they weren't sure that the console was gonna succeed.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm not really a survival game fan but I've played almost 5 hours today. Hits the right notes of multiple genres. Excited to play more.

Netherscourge

Oct 25, 2017
When they say multiplayer, do they mean invite only to private games/servers/LAN games?

Or are there public multiplayer servers everyone can jump on?

The open-world/multiplayer thing is what's getting my attention. But I'm not sure if it's persistent or just temporary games with people jumping in and out. Not sure how it works?

Plus, how secure is everything? Or can anyone hack/mod/edit their game and ruin another person's game?

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
How do they have all the leverage?

They don't completely own Pokemon.
Because if there is any dispute between the two companies, Nintendo can survive just fine without Pokemon releases, Gamefreak cannot.

I don't think it will ever come close to that, but I do think Nintendo will want Pokemon to step its game up after the last releases performed so poorly. Nintendo is also the one with the resources to help make it happen.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
What's the best way to play this? I do have an older gaming PC but I might pickup another XSX and XSS if it runs well on both (so my gf and I can both play together). It would be a pretty expensive investment though.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm genuinely impressed with how Pokémon has evolved as a series over the last generation. Let's Go into Sword/Shield into Arceus into Scarlet/Violet, they made some real gameplay strides with every iteration. The technical state of these titles is by far their biggest stumbling block atm. And it's a major one! Stopped me from checking out Scarlet last year :/

I just don't see Palworld's success being some Game Freak wake up call that causes the execs realize they need to give their devs more time/resources for polish. I see a lot of people hoping for something like that and I'm not sure I understand the correlation

The most charitable read you could gain from Palworld's success is that Game Freak might feel vindicated about pursuing more experimental titles like Legends Arceus... again, something they didn't need Palworld to realize because that game was huge in its own right.

The more cynical takeaway they could gain from it is that as long as Pokémon games look and perform acceptably with a minimal amount of bugs, you can make your world and creature design as derivative as possible and still gain reap huge success off of trend chasing.

But I think even to that extent they were well aware, since I don't think anyone expected Nintendo to publicly comment on the game's performance woes.

I wish that they let a couple other devs work on Pokemon games.

The funniest thing ever to me about that is that they did that with BDSP, and we all know how that turned out.

Gideon

Nov 8, 2022
From pcgamer (roadmap isn't out yet btw)
Big feature additions confirmed coming to Palworld:
"PvP/Arena"
"Trading Pals with players in other world"
"Major building system updates"
Raid bosses
Server/save transfers for transitioning between singleplayer/multiplayer
Xbox and Steam crossplay
Steam Workshop support

orochi91

Oct 26, 2017
Canada
What's the best way to play this? I do have an older gaming PC but I might pickup another XSX and XSS if it runs well on both (so my gf and I can both play together). It would be a pretty expensive investment though.

Xbox is running an outdated patch/version of the game; there's performance issues according to Reddit users.

Steam is the way to go~

Katbobo

May 3, 2022

If you want the cheapest possible way, probably xbox cloud streaming, but there might be queues.

It's a shame it's not on Geforce Now since that'd probably be the best way without a big investment.

Alek

Games User Researcher
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
Xbox is running an outdated patch/version of the game; there's performance issues according to Reddit users.

Steam is the way to go~

I'm not going to build not one but TWO PCs to run this well though, that just seems silly! Surely, they will simply patch the XBOX version.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
The most charitable read you could gain from Palworld's success is that Game Freak might feel vindicated about pursuing more experimental titles like Legends Arceus... again, something they didn't need Palworld to realize because that game was huge in its own right.

The more cynical takeaway they could gain from it is that as long as Pokémon games look and perform acceptably with a minimal amount of bugs, you can make your world and creature design as derivative as possible and still gain reap huge success off of trend chasing.

But I think even to that extent they were well aware, since I don't think anyone expected Nintendo to publicly comment on the game's performance woes.
I dont think they will learn more outside of perhaps continuing making more Legend of titles that go into survival elements as you mentioned. Arceus success probably already guided them to do that, but well, its Gamefreak so you never know what they will do sometims.

The other points some people make are either some stuff GF has worked on for a while now (make Pokemon more interactive in the field, coop, open world) and that they have clearly shown to be their main focus ever since moving into 3D back in XY and which accelerated in the Switch era. Otherwise, the other problem is the performance which given Nintendo had to address is likely they consider (and that is also likely due to big ambition jumps in a short amount of time if we consider the evolution from SunMoon to ScarletViolet).

Regarding the creature design, I doubt that would be their focus considering they are still a multimedia franchise so they really want to be able to easily merchandise and sell the new pokemon, so design is quite important.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
How old is your pc? A Steam Deck can run the game (even if not that well). Minimum recommended is a 1050 which is a fairly old card, so your old PC might work.

Regarding crossplay, they might add it soon(tm) between console and PC.