Votes: 136 8.7%
  • More than 25 million

Votes: 419 26.7%

• Total voters

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
One of the reason Pokémon work is because it managed to appeal everyone with their designs, from the cutesy to the gross to the odd to the "cool" and everything in-between while somehow managing to make all feel consistent. Here? It just doesn't and feels like trying too hard to imitate it's look without really getting why it worked.

While I expected the game to do well based on the memes alone, I do wonder how long a life the game will have or we'll end up talking about it like we do Yo-kai Watch.
Palworld is not a Pokemon-like. It's a survival & crafting game with creatures. Reasons why Pokemon work have nothing to do with reasons why a Survival game work.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Palworld is not a Pokemon-like. It's a survival & crafting game with creatures. Reasons why Pokemon work have nothing to do with reasons why a Survival game work.
Ye, you kinda need the Pals to have similar (humanoid) build to be able to allow them to all do similar tasks and not have a complete list of "this pal cant do this function because his shape dont work cause it too small/no hands / etc.". Pokemon already has issues with animation due to the difference in skeletons and they have much higher budget than an indie game.
It makes sense for them to have made those concessions.

Lord Fanny

Apr 25, 2020
I was vaguely interested in this but then I read it's heavy on the crafting and survival stuff so I probably won't bother. I really wanted Pokemon that killed and maimed

Shoichi

Jan 10, 2018
feels like a mix of Pokemon Arceus, 3rd Person Shooter, and Survival game fused together.
What I seen of it, I don't really have that much interest. Will be interesting how it does longterm in sales.
I'll probably boot it up on Game Pass later, but not feeling like it will have long term appeal for me at least.

Alent

"This guy are sick"
Oct 28, 2017
It's pretty funny for an hour of two, but survival games aren't really my genre so i got bored soon enough. I do enjoy all the comparisons on designs on social media right now, some of them are so blatant lmao

ash32121

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The game is quite literally an Ark clone with copymon's skin drape on the dinosaurs. It's not Pokemon. Hell, you can't even do Pokemon battle in traditional sense and your character probably stronger than the Pals you catch.

Host Samurai

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not a PokeGuy at all, but the premise of this is bonkers and I love the weird shit. Im very tempted to get this on Steam.

Oct 30, 2017
There's something amusing about the narrative being "at least someone is finally giving Pokemon fans what they want" when Pokemon games still routinely sell 20+ million copies.

how many of those 20 million folk do you think are hyper-critical posters on resetera dot com? i don't think anyone disagrees that pokemon games satisfy the vast majority of customers who buy them lol

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Decided to check it out for a bit, ended up playing the entire day with friends.

This is legit a fantastic game, a more polished and well thought out ARK filled with charm and with a lot of QoL improvements that make it not as frustrating when you die.

Seeing your pals helping around the bass is the best.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Gatorland
a2f6e1210c34f7d49e98e81d76ced810.gif

20210605_PAL_Cut9_Multi.gif

palworld-palworld-game.gif

Pokemon wishes it was this ambitious.

AvianAviator

▲ Legend ▲
Jun 23, 2021
Decided to check it out for a bit, ended up playing the entire day with friends.

This is legit a fantastic game, a more polished and well thought out ARK filled with charm and with a lot of QoL improvements that make it not as frustrating when you die.

Seeing your pals helping around the bass is the best.
I was wondering about this because their last game Craftopia was a little...janky. If this one has better polish and a better feeling gameplay loop then I'm quite excited to try it (outside of the meme factor lol)

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
I was wondering about this because their last game Craftopia was a little...janky. If this one has better polish and a better feeling gameplay loop then I'm quite excited to try it (outside of the meme factor lol)
Craftopia was/is a very fun mess. Happy that they learned not to launch in the same state their next game. Now if they only also focused more in Craftopia...

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would laugh my ass off if this early access game is more polished than the recent pokemon releases

lone_stranger

Aug 24, 2018
I'll watch a stream eventually. I hope there's some actual quality here instead of just memes. A competent game that looks like Pokemon while doing a handful of things better than the original would be very welcome.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'll watch a stream eventually. I hope there's some actual quality here instead of just memes. A competent game that looks like Pokemon while doing a handful of things better than the original would be very welcome.

To temper your expectations, Right now it's not entirely a pokemon replacement though. It's mixed with ARK stuff

When the Mods eventually HIT though? All bets are off!

Like there's some movement jank there but performance wise its really smooth and havent noticed too much if any pop in

🤣 will continue to keep an eye on this

SaintBowWow

Oct 25, 2017
I think the disconnect between people saying this is not a Pokemon game and others saying that it's the Pokemon game they've wanted is that for many people the appeal of Pokemon is simply the idea of walking around a world with these cool monsters and trying to collect them all. These people often played these games as children and imagined a future dream Pokemon game where you wandered a fully 3D world and saw Pokemon going about their business. Importantly, the standard template of a Pokemon game with gym badges and turn based battles is not important to these players, they are interested in Pokemon as a concept, not a rigid set of gameplay mechanics. These are people who played Pokemon as kids, fell off because the series felt stagnant, and then got into Pokemon Go for as least a couple of weeks as adults.

Then there's Pokemon fans who define Pokemon by the standard template of a Pokemon game we are all used to. They expect a Pokemon game to play in the specific way that they always have, because that's specifically what makes it a mainline Pokemon game (in addition to the Pokemon, of course). This group sees a base building survival game with real time third person combat and can't understand how people compare it to Pokemon, while the first group sees a game where you walk around a big 3D world to collect wandering monsters and have them hang out at your base or roam the world with you and see the game they imagined as kids (maybe without the guns and sweatshops though).

HelloItsPulse

Dec 14, 2017
Craftopia was pretty sick when I played it, which was right at the beginning of early access. I'm not surprised that they were able to take that concept and go even further with it. They deserve the success they are getting.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
There's something amusing about the narrative being "at least someone is finally giving Pokemon fans what they want" when Pokemon games still routinely sell 20+ million copies.

To revisit my earlier post more seriously, there does seem to be a legit and sizeable audience of people who are potentially interested in Pokemon games but not the ones that actually exist. People who like the monster designs and the power fantasy of having a team of monster pets at their beck and call but who don't care for Pokemon's RPG mechanics, simplistic artstyle, worldbuilding, (until recently) lack of open worlds, etc. And then you have the subset of that that wants specifically "adult Pokemon", Pokemon that targets a more adult audience with some combination of more violent gameplay and going deconstructor fleet on everything Pokemon takes for granted.

A lot of what people are immediately gravitating to are those elements - the UE4-ass open world, the real-time TPS gameplay, the emphasis on traversal in mounting the Pals, the sheer audacity of shooting Pals with a gun and giving them guns while using them as meat shields, the further audacity in eating them and making them do slave labor and stealing endangered species and treating humans like Pals and so on and so on, etc. Though what's clearly getting people to actually stick around is it actually being a solid survival game underneath all that window dressing. Not enough to actually do Pokemon numbers - because as noted ITT people that like Pokemon actually wanna, y'know, play Pokemon - but "a million sales in 8 hours" ain't anything to scoff at.

Congrats to the devs! Also, I don't really see the "meme game" stuff, it's a new game in the most popular genre currently that actually brings something new to it. I don't know why people are surprised it's doing well.

Just because it's taken seriously doesn't mean it isn't a meme game. Especially with some of the naughty parts the marketing itself has emphasized.

If anything it being taken seriously makes it more of a meme game. To many committing to an absurd meme idea unironically and completely earnestly is a meme unto itself.

Last edited:

Lotus

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. After Gamefreaks recent releases, apologies that go nowhere and awful looking games having competition and the genre expanding is exactly what they need to get their shit together

The idea that this game is what is specifically going to push Game Freak to "get their shit together" sounds more like wishful thinking than anything else lol

Magneto

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes. After Gamefreaks recent releases, apologies that go nowhere and awful looking games having competition and the genre expanding is exactly what they need to get their shit together
The issue here is that you think that Game Freak feels like something is wrong in the first place. They sold 20+ millions copies of their latest title that had awful performance, bugs etc. The only way for them to "get their shit together" would be if people stopped buying Pokemon games, and we all know it won't happen.

GooZ

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm all for a success of a game similar to Pokémon. Even it gives Gamefreak 1% of motivation to do better for Pokémon it's good for the fans.

DuckSauce