• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Firima

Oct 27, 2017
Quick play as well? Cool, guess I'm done with Overwatch for good then. Just completely destroy counter picking, on the fly strategy changes, flexing and creative team compositions all in one fell swoop to try and paper over the glaring balance problems caused by Brigitte. I can't even count the number of matches I've won because a tank and support player have traded roles mid-match, or we've ignored 2-2-2 for some strange comp that specifically targets the enemy team's weaknesses. And as someone who can play a very mean Mei and Symmetra, but sucks at all other DPS and rightfully knows they are very situational heroes, I'd never be able to play them again.

Like sure, if people want this for competitive and the OWL go right ahead, but forcing this shit on QP is ridiculous. We all know that arcade isn't a solution for dumping the old QP in, that doesn't have enough traffic to offer good enough matchmaking and QP still remains useless for those that want a "semi serious but not toxic competitive" match. Why they've never added a "Competitive Practice" mode for semi-serious gameplay I will never comprehend. It just feels like all they've done the last year or two is steadily erode what Overwatch was originally designed to be, and what we all initially loved.

Being able to switch comps or roles to counter is nice, but how often does it really happen that it works out relative to instances where people should've just been playing the thing they're good at rather than waiting until the last point to swap roles with another player, or playing something that's not 2-2-2 and the game actually ending up being anything other than a negative experience for most of the team? The answer is that it rarely happens, and everybody knows it. Sure, this change will make some people mad, but it will make far more longtime players happy because it directly addresses the root causes of a very high volume of poor matches experienced over the years, and Blizzard is well aware, hence such a radical change. Blizzard gave us freedom, and we showed that all we'd do with it is annoy everyone else or play selfishly in what is, first and foremost, a teamwork-focused game, something that was addressed by Jeff in the stream.

As for why there's no "competitive practice," what's the point of that? The people who just want to relax and shoot and not care about their team will just jump into that mode hoping for a better team to play around them while they waste everyone else's time like they've been doing all along. It'll be quick play by the end of the first day it's live.

Last edited:

Janna OP

Oct 25, 2017
imagine having 2-2-2 be your quitting point instead of the months of ridiculously OP support heroes warping the game around them, having one of the most unfriendly and useless communities in FPS and a balancing reputation that could be optimistically described as "glacial."

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Lol at people complaining about this. A lot of which are people wou see complaining about overwatch in any overwatch thread...

This is the best thing that's happened to the game in a long time. So excited.

Now if you wanna talk about the crappy overwatch league implementation, I'm all ears.

Zeshile

Prophet of Regret Corrupted by Vengeance
Avenger
Dec 22, 2017
Kansas
I hate that they are forcing this into OWL for the last stage, but it's great other than that.

m29a

Oct 25, 2017
I'm very happy to see that it will be in Quick Play too. I think the benefits are too big to only have it for comp. All in all, this will improve game quality and balancing down the line. I know I'll play more instead of just checking in once in awhile.

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
This is cool news as someone who hasn't played much over the last or two, I always liked the 2-2-2 composition best and hearing it applies to Quick Play as well sounds nice. Sounds like it'll be a better place to practice roles than the mess that it currently is. I was never super keen on ruining teammates' comp experience by trying to practice a role that wasn't a healer.

shinespark

Oct 25, 2017
Rocket Punch being able to corner clip doorways and cancel enemy lateral momentum are both actually pretty significant buffs for Doomfist, the former will help him catch people unaware and the latter will make knockbacks into walls way more consistent. Yay for Doomfist!

gig

Prophet of Regret
Oct 25, 2017
According to Jeff Kaplan, this patch has been in the works for a year & wasn't targeted to end any one meta (though GOATS being gone for good is a benefit).

Yeah, that's more or less my point. Looking at 2-2-2 alone makes zero sense when this patch was clearly built around it and the two combined seem to point towards a new balance strategy moving forward,

NediarPT88

Oct 29, 2017
Yeah but everyother support has ranged attacks to defend themselves. Brigitte literally has to be in the enemies' faces to start her passive healing. No other support has this problem.

The whip shot which has a 20m range and 4 second cooldown starts the passive healing too unless they changed that (I haven't played in a year), and the cooldown was shorter than the time the passive healing was active so if you hit those you can have your healing going on at all times.

I'm gonna repeat myself but Brig has 250hp and a 200hp shield which makes it easier for her to be in those close ranged fights compared to other supports. Just don't expect her to be a tank.

lol

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
not sure if ptr distorts things but i placed higher in tank queue (my main role) than i've ever made it in normal comp

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
Brig is very broken on PTR.

I'll take those sr points yes thank you.

xqcow is playing her too. lol.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Do you normally flex a lot in comp? They've been tracking your role SR for a few months now, so it might be higher than overall SR with all roles.
i expected my tank SR to be higher than my normal average but this is a pretty big bump

i've been stuck in high plat/low diamond for a few seasons and got placed at 3750

normally i'll flex but only to support and i think that SR should be similar to my tank level

SDBurton

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Brig getting her shield cut by more than half just reinforces that 2-2-2 will have no room for anymore hybrid heroes.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
But she can barely heal her self now so its not hard to kill if you dive her. + her shield is 200? Lol its joke.

As with all supports. But it's less likely to dive Brig inbewteen two tanks though.

Pharah is a good counter for her now too.

Last edited:

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
This already happens and I am pretty darn certain it will happen less in role lock.
It does happen I agree but you had a lot more flexibility as a team to play around that before then you do now.
I mean, I'll take that over knowing you've lost a game at hero selection when 5 DPS mains instalock and shit up the comp.
You can win with 5 dps. I've had it happen in 3 games all back to back on my way to last season. But even at lower ranks you could hope they might switch off
but now you have separate SRs for each role so if you're at 2800 tank, so are all of your teammates at whatever roles they're playing

you will not have a 2800 Mercy trying to play Rein cuz if they queue for tank, they'll be queuing at 2200 with other 2200s
i actually think this is a good counter point.
I had this same concern, but I feel the different SRs for different roles help mitigate this. If they're switching to Tank queue they're also switching to an entirely different SR rank. So this 2800 Mercy main might be a 2100 Rein player, in which case if they're tank queueing they're going to a 2100 queue with their not-so-great Rein play which will be closer to a balanced match with everyone else being the same rank.

I think that was hyperbole, but this will certainly help with all the painful solo-heal and solo-tank matches.
Yeah I agree having SR per role was a smart move here

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
You can win with 5 dps. I've had it happen in 3 games all back to back on my way to last season. But even at lower ranks you could hope they might switch off

The times this happened are so rare compared to the times it was a shitty waste of everyone's time.

I can only speak for myself, but DPS instalockers are why I would never play without at least 3 other friends, but now I'll actually go back to solo play or fewer friends.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
The times this happened are so rare compared to the times it was a shitty waste of everyone's time.

I can only speak for myself, but DPS instalockers are why I would never play without at least 3 other friends, but now I'll actually go back to solo play or fewer friends.
My only point being is that roling out that many dps isn't inherently a problem. The problem is the individuals playing those positions that arent good at it. Although I do think separate SR for roles is a smart way to mitigate the issue.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
It does happen I agree but you had a lot more flexibility as a team to play around that before then you do now.

i actually think this is a good counter point.

Yeah I agree having SR per role was a smart move here
The point is to avoid having to play around these situations. It's risk management, not a decision making control. Yes, you can win with 5 DPS...but why on earth would you want to do that. That's a miserable match to play.

Nimby

Oct 27, 2017
Great update overall, feels like the time we got endorsements and LFG. Separate role SR is pretty awesome, I may actually play comp again with these changes.

GReeeeN

Senior Analyst at GSD
Verified
Mar 6, 2018
this is the best thing that could happen to OW and will defiantly get me playing again

when is this being rolled out on the live servers?

OP
OP
Solidsnakejej

Solidsnakejej

Oct 25, 2017
Fort Lauderdale
this is the best thing that could happen to OW and will defiantly get me playing again

when is this being rolled out on the live servers?

Role Queue is currently available on the public test region on PC, and will be coming to live servers starting with a Role Queue Beta Season in Patch 1.39. In an effort to give time for additional testing and feedback, we'll be running the two-week Role Queue Beta Season from August 13 to September 1. Players can earn Competitive Points similar to other competitive mini seasons and qualify for Top 500 Leaderboards during the beta season. However, beta season stats will only be available for a limited time and will not count toward a player's permanent Competitive Season stats. (Note: Competitive Season 17 will be shortened by approximately two weeks in order to accommodate the Role Queue Beta Season.)

Role Queue will be fully available for Quick Play and Competitive Play beginning on September 1 for the start of Competitive Season 18.

twdnewh

Oct 31, 2018
Sydney, Australia
I understand the reasons for this lock; but I cant help but feel that it will take away some of the creativity and counter strategies part of the game. I guess time will tell how this will fare; an unfortunate but maybe necessary reaction to counter GOAT.