Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I hate that they are forcing this into OWL for the last stage, but it's great other than that.
Same. It's not.coming to the game really until September, and the patch that they're playing in owl won't even have the balance changes so what's the point. It's gonna be a shit show and it doesn't even reflect the game as it ever existed.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Same. It's not.coming to the game really until September, and the patch that they're playing in owl won't even have the balance changes so what's the point. It's gonna be a shit show and it doesn't even reflect the game as it ever existed.
I think between a playoffs with 2/2/2 or stage 4 with 2/2/2, I'd choose the latter. And I really doubt they'd let the season finish without role lock, so it's gotta be one or the other.

Young Liar

Nov 30, 2017
been playing this game since it came out, love it a lot, it's one of my favorite games of all time now, and i've had multiple competitive matches with 5 dps and still win. as exhilarating as those victories were, i'd gladly trade that away for the stability that 2-2-2 role lock will bring.

we all remember the highs of being in trash comps and still beating balanced comps, but those experiences are exceedingly rare in reality compared to the innumerable trash games where 4+ people insta-lock dps or one tank/healer switches to dps just because one round was lost in control/the payload wasn't pushed all the way to the end.

there'll be significantly less toxicity in the beginning of matches where strangers are demanding teammates to play certain roles or they threaten to throw, instantly lowering team morale before the spawn door even opens.

separate role sr should also eventually put players at their respective ranks that you can expect a level of competency from each player with the role they want to play. you're just not going to get a gold-level tank in your match where you queue as a diamond-level dps!

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
I think between a playoffs with 2/2/2 or stage 4 with 2/2/2, I'd choose the latter. And I really doubt they'd let the season finish without role lock, so it's gotta be one or the other.
Eh I'd forgive them for doing playoffs without 2-2-2 for the sake of timing. Tho, I do admit that's also an awkward solution. It's still, imo, just as awkward that they're playing a whole stage with role lock before we even get it for real.

They really missed the ball, knowing this was coming for so long and missing getting a ptr patch out early enough for needs and buffs for the stage by like what, a week? Two? Shame

Overall it's a net gain since I think this is what overwatch has needed for a while, but the roll out feels sloppy and rushed.

Buttchin-n-Bones

Actually knows the TOS
Oct 25, 2017
Eh I'd forgive them for doing playoffs without 2-2-2 for the sake of timing. Tho, I do admit that's also an awkward solution. It's still, imo, just as awkward that they're playing a whole stage with role lock before we even get it for real.

They really missed the ball, knowing this was coming for so long and missing getting a ptr patch out early enough for needs and buffs for the stage by like what, a week? Two? Shame

Overall it's a net gain since I think this is what overwatch has needed for a while, but the roll out feels sloppy and rushed.
Like I said, there was no way that role lock was missing both Stage 4 AND playoffs - Blizz wants parity. Hell, I wouldn't even want the playoffs without role lock, the two games would be too different. So pick your poison

Jan 10, 2018
This is the most interesting and impactful change that has happened to Overwatch. I'm really looking forward to see how it will change the nature of the game.

Nov 14, 2017
This is incredibly rare even in games where most of the team is throwing, to not have at least one tank or one healer. So far I think however this is the best argument, but again its not a common occurence
It is incredibly common to have 4 instalock DPS picks at around 2900, at least in EU prime time on PS4. I've heard similar complaints about PC too. High plat is probably some of the the most toxic players in any game ever all concentrated into one MMR bracket. Anything that stops those solo-q DPS players from all matching into the same game is for the benefit of everyone.

PapaJustify

Nov 3, 2017
Germany
I have been playing a round on Role Queue yesterday and it was refreshing to see that teams are balanced and everybody got the role they wanted. The waiting time was short, because not much traffic yesterday, but I can see the waiting times being a big drawback especially for DPS players.

Maybe it will encourage those players to try and get better with other roles instead so in the end it will be more balanced.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
Yeah it shouldn't get out of sleep. Also fine with it reverting to how it was if they buff her in some other way, maybe by increasing the range of her primary fire by a foot or two or maybe increasing the healing juice available by a bit.

kurahador

Oct 28, 2017
You know, if they really want to make her able to get out while being cc-ed, make the cc condition remains. Like sleep/shattered/flashbang-ed >> fade >> still sleep/shattered/flashbang-ed but now she's in a safe position.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
The Moira fade change just seems so dumb. Literally just a way to undo your mistake.

She can already avoid the shatter by just fading on reaction when Rein does it why does she get to do it when the Moira player was too slow to avoid the shatter normally.

The fading out of sleep just feels like Blizz trolling Ana players.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
The Moira fade change just seems so dumb. Literally just a way to undo your mistake.

She can already avoid the shatter by just fading on reaction when Rein does it why does she get to do it when the Moira player was too slow to avoid the shatter normally.

And the fading out of sleep just feels like Blizz trolling Ana players.
Yeah lol

Noppie

Oct 27, 2017

And the fading out of sleep just feels like Blizz trolling Ana players.
Not even just undoing your mistake, it negates skillful plays by the opponent. Really the worst kind of gameplay.

Oct 27, 2017
they should remove it entirely for diamond and masters

Yes! Literally the only reason SR decay is in the game is to stop people at the highest SR sitting on spots in the top 500 without playing. It has no purpose at any rank lower than that, apart from making you put off your placements so you don't get on the SR loss treadmill.

And yeah, this is a golden age for Moira mains. Not only has she got this insane anti-CC buff, nobody plays D.Va any more, so she has free rein to throw orbs wherever she wants (and even if they do play D.Va, the orbs are a lot harder to eat now). I think she's going to be a menace at lower ranks, as she was already one of the most forgiving characters to play, but now even if you push your luck you can still escape.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
I tested this out last night, and it feels so good. I said it before, but this not only allows you to play the role you want with a more balanced team, but it also allows players to learn roles at their own rate instead of being forced into a role they obviously arent good at. Quality of matches should go up now.

Deleted member 15440

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i dunno, the moira change looks annoying but i don't think it'll make that much difference. she'll still be OP in low ranks and pretty bad higher up, especially now that you can't run a tank-heavy lineup to take advantage of the mass AOE heals. every other healer gives some kind of utility or far better damage than she does.

Deleted member 31817

Nov 7, 2017
i dunno, the moira change looks annoying but i don't think it'll make that much difference. she'll still be OP in low ranks and pretty bad higher up, especially now that you can't run a tank-heavy lineup to take advantage of the mass AOE heals. every other healer gives some kind of utility or far better damage than she does.
Yeah but she's a lotta fun so they should buff her in a way that doesnt let her escape shatter and sleep

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Game requires a full rebalance. They just changed Syms teleporter for no reason. Seriously no fucking reason. Just make things more confusing

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Like I said, there was no way that role lock was missing both Stage 4 AND playoffs - Blizz wants parity. Hell, I wouldn't even want the playoffs without role lock, the two games would be too different. So pick your poison
Yeah I get what you're saying, just imo a stage 4 without the balance changes is a version of overwatch that will literally never exist in retail, and it's what's being played for a while stage. Imo that's crossing a line of 'too different'. (On top of which the stage will finish before 2-2-2 is even fully implemented in Sept.

Different strokes I guess.

Game requires a full rebalance. They just changed Syms teleporter for no reason. Seriously no fucking reason. Just make things more confusing
Woah, this is the strongest opinion I've seen about symms change yet lol.

Also there's definitely a reason. As it is it's extremely clunky, it still probably will be a little clunky, but a hell of a lot more useful. I can't tell you how many times I popped through it, even as symm herself, only to have it immediately disappear because theres no timer. Or a teammate is trying to use it to escape a bad situation and it just poofs because again, there's no way of knowing when it will unless you're staring at it the whole time (symm kinda can because it's up for what something like 10 secs vs the 12 sec cooldown or something like that). Granted they could have just added a timer above it, but its still clunky, this is just another solution and it sounds interesting. But it's definitely addressing a real issue.

It's like complaining they gave her a teleporter in the first place because of 'no reason'.

Last edited:

Allietraa

Prophet of Truth
Mar 13, 2019
They would have to gut some of the most iconic heroes/abilities to actually balance the game, which is why it wont happen. They get a ton of shit every time they tried to rework Mercy. Imagine that backlash, but multiplied by half the cast of the game. Zero chance Blizzard has the willpower to do it. The only hope is an actual sequel to OW which ditches some of the silly heroes. Everything they do short of that is just putting various amounts of band-aids on it.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
Honestly the role lock for League really solved a lot of issues with people fighting over positions/roles.

Nov 14, 2017
The reason is they are introducing 2-2-2 lock, so they need to make each hero more impactful within their role. It's the reason for the massive Brig rebalance.

Having Sym be a weird DPS with lots of team utility thanks to her teleporter sounds like it could be an interesting design.

Trey

Oct 25, 2017

The fading out of sleep just feels like Blizz trolling Ana players.

Her fade ignores hard CC too? That's a horrible change.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
The reason is they are introducing 2-2-2 lock, so they need to make each hero more impactful within their role. It's the reason for the massive Brig rebalance.

Having Sym be a weird DPS with lots of team utility thanks to her teleporter sounds like it could be an interesting design.

I'll tell you right now, the new cooldown on that TP is BRUTAL for Symm though. It's effectively a nerf on escapes and TP bombs and has the second longest recharge timer next to mercy's rezz. You have to be REALLY thoughtful about when you're gonna use it now, and god forbid you flub a jump extension. It's nice for team comp, but it really limits her own damage quite a bit.

I fully see the Moira phase changes being repealed, much like I see the Brig shield reduction being repealed. They're dumb changes.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Expect a lot of changes over the next 3 months. PTR is going to be more fluid than ever.

Role lock + no stacking Mistery Heroes comp let's go.

I kid about role locking, but I'd like some MH with no char stacking
I've been asking for that from day one, we're never getting it.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018
So I don't really play comp, but I updated PTR and realized it only featured the Comp role queue beta (no QP), so gave that a shot. Had a mostly ok time. Tank: 1 win, 1 loss. Support: 1 win, 1 draw. Played mostly Rein/D.va and Mercy/Moira. I expect people were pretty chill since this is just PTR, where everything's made up and the points don't matter.

DR2K

Banned
Oct 31, 2017

She's a garbage dps and her best mobility tool was just massively nerfed.

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
She's a garbage dps and her best mobility tool was just massively nerfed.

Eh, she's situational, especially against sheild tanks, but you can do some real damage with her if you stay with your tanks.

That tele nerf though...absolutely crushing. If they're going to increase the time 3 seconds, they should start the cooldown at the tele's start. 15 seconds starting from destruction is way way way way WAY to much.

Oct 27, 2017
Her tele is now better for the team but worse for her. Before, you could quickly throw out a tele/turret bomb (teleporter behind shields, and throw down 3 turrets on your end). If it failed you could still use the teleporter within a few seconds. Now, the cooldown is going to only encourage large team-based use, not for the purpose of damage-dealing. In my mind it moves her more towards support, which is why I think they should actually just make her a support character. Change it so that her turrets heal instead of damage (or do both).