• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

johancruijff

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
I wonder if the show will try to make you feel for Kings Landing citizens any more than just showing them getting killed.

I doubt most people gave a shit for the folks that blew up in the Sept, so I'm not sure why I should care for the denizens of KL.

i don't think they're gonna be subtle at all aka children speared/burning/screaming/crying

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
i don't think they're gonna be subtle at all aka children speared/burning/screaming/crying
This season is so poorly produced/directed that it is probably one of the more predictable shows in recent memory now.

You will see a bunch of shit that tries to build up this half ass heel turn of "MaD QuEeN" complete with children burning alive and the likes.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
I hope the books do the ending in reverse order. Ie. Resolve the throne question then deal with the Others. Or resolve both at same time by killing Cersei and holding off on politics until after the Others are defeated. Either way, Jon could get Lightbringer by killing Dany, use that to win, and then run away to the north to avoid the politics.

Or something like that. I dunno. It just seems lame to end the series with fighting over the throne, the Long Night should have been the real final boss imo.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
mass crucifixion without trials is a starting point.
it's so pathetic people keep trying to act like brutally killing slave traders is a bad thing. Especially after she let them live and they kept attacking her and the slaves. People who continue to push this contactless narrative are wasting everyone's time.
She's called the mad queen because her father was known for years as the mad king
Yes, and people are designating her to be following that path when it's not even fucking close to a fair comparison. Especially because cersi fits this description much better

jfkgoblue

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope the books do the ending in reverse order. Ie. Resolve the throne question then deal with the Others. Or resolve both at same time by killing Cersei and holding off on politics until after the Others are defeated. Either way, Jon could get Lightbringer by killing Dany, use that to win, and then run away to the north to avoid the politics.

Or something like that. I dunno. It just seems lame to end the series with fighting over the throne, the Long Night should have been the real final boss imo.
I think fAegon will be dealt with(Cersei's arc is pretty much done in the books, she's not getting the throne) in DoD 2.0, and then they go to Winterfell and Jon has to sacrifice Dany to end the Others threat.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018

It will, she has to content with fAegon, Stannis and Cersei as soon as she arrives. There's now the others attack before all that (they could attack and kill Stannis as she is fighting faegon, I think that makes sense)

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
it's so pathetic people keep trying to act like brutally killing slave traders is a bad thing. Especially after she let them live and they kept attacking her and the slaves. People who continue to push this contactless narrative are wasting everyone's time.

and how did she make sure everyone crucified was a slave trader? in the books it's hinted that many of the "slave traders" crucified were patsies, though i don't think that made it in the show, but there certainly was no reason to think that special care was taken to make sure everyone killed was truly guilty. how could there be in a mass execution?

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
Meera Reed is THE unsung hero of Westeros. Dragged Bran beyond the wall and back, saved him from the Night King and his army, slew a motherfucking White Walker and in the end got sent back home by Bran with a very tepid thank you.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
Meera Reed is THE unsung hero of Westeros. Dragged Bran beyond the wall and back, saved him from the Night King and his army, slew a motherfucking White Walker and in the end got sent back home by Bran with a very tepid thank you.

I mean, it likely saved her life, unless you think she would have survived the battle at Winterfell.

Zeno

Oct 25, 2017
Lmao yep. Probably my favorite minor character in the show.

Redfox088

Banned
May 31, 2018
First of all nothing is set in stone yet since the episodes aren't out yet, we don't know what exactly is going to happen. But they think she will become a villain if she takes the bait from Cersei and burns the red keep with all the innocent people inside. The people of King's Landing haven't screwed her, Cersei has, her subordinates and her army but not the people of King's Landing. If she is going to burn the whole of King's Landing just to get Cersei then no shit she is evil, like Cersei, and doesn't deserve to rule. I really don't see how this is morally grey. Would you kill 10000 innocents just to get a handful of people who screwed you over?
Ever heard of casualties of war? The people of kings landing have an evil dictator who killed the advisor and child of a foreigner with an army. The fact that the citizens of Kong's landing never rioted or try to oust her make them collateral damage. Anyone who stayed in kings landing after the field of fire must be of the mind that Cersei will protect them. That makes them loyal to her. Dany gotta do what she gotta do.

Corky

Alt account
Banned
Dec 5, 2018
Ever heard of casualties of war? The people of kings landing have an evil dictator who killed the advisor and child of a foreigner with an army. The fact that the citizens of Kong's landing never rioted or try to oust her make them collateral damage. Anyone who stayed in kings landing after the field of fire must be of the mind that Cersei will protect them. That makes them loyal to her. Dany gotta do what she gotta do.
They did riot (killed a septon, threw shit at Joffrey) plus brought about the high sparrow too in an effort to undermine the power of the queen. The show has just forgotten this. What you say does not make them 'loyal' to her at all.

Oct 25, 2017
It would be hilarious if suddenly the folks of KL are an issue for anything given how much of a non factor they've been.

So much has happened in KL, including the Sept being blown up and these folks have barely been shown, let alone to any extent in actually mattering.

But for the finale of the show, their deaths, and significance for the first time, will determine the fate of one of the primary characters. Pretty amazing really.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
It would be hilarious if suddenly the folks of KL are an issue for anything given how much of a non factor they've been.

So much has happened in KL, including the Sept being blown up and these folks have barely been shown, let alone to any extent in actually mattering.

But for the finale of the show, their deaths, and significance for the first time, will determine the fate of one of the primary characters. Pretty amazing really.

its pretty amazing how people keep making this argument despite how insane it sounds

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017

This show really is fucking terrible now. Its such a fucking heartbreaking shame.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
and how did she make sure everyone crucified was a slave trader? in the books it's hinted that many of the "slave traders" crucified were patsies, though i don't think that made it in the show, but there certainly was no reason to think that special care was taken to make sure everyone killed was truly guilty. how could there be in a mass execution?
You made my response for me, this never happened in the show. Not only are you ignoring context of what actually happened but now you're pulling in from outside material that doesnt even explicitly state that what you're saying is true either.

Septy

Prophet of Truth
Nov 29, 2017
United States
It is covered in the show. In season 4 she crucified hundreds of masters as soon as she got to Meereen but many of them were just high class citizens that didn't own slaves.

Spine Crawler

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i get people that want danaerys on the throne. she has been the absolute mvp in the entire series. hope the leaks are based on fake endings.
It is covered in the show. In season 4 she crucified hundreds of masters as soon as she got to Meereen but many of them were just high class citizens that didn't own slaves.

its not made clear in the show

Oct 25, 2017
its pretty amazing how people keep making this argument despite how insane it sounds

I think you misunderstood?

I'm not saying that there's not good folks in Kings Landing. I'm saying it's a largely unused group of individuals that will contribute to the downfall of a primary character despite not having an impact in the rest of the show in much of anything.

What will prevent Dany from sitting on the Iron Throne is a group of people that have rarely mattered up until this season and will only matter so much as to "justify" Jon killing Dany.

Dec 13, 2017
The Tarleys are not the same as Janos Slynt and executing people that murdered Jon.

The Tarleys aren't even the first time she let her " the queen that is promised" bullshit get the best of her. Like I said, someone will make a video one day of all the signs through out the seasons. It's up to people to come to terms with the fact that this has been a slow broil. Not a sudden twist.

The Tarly's broke their oath to their liege lords and were given he choice. She did the same thing Aegon the Conqueror did when he took over Westeros. I really can't think of many other instances, she burned the one master dude underneath Mereen. She has listened to reason more often than not when she's trusted her advisors, her advisors now have shit the bed and costed her everything. She should have just flown to the Red Keep and made Cersei either die or bend the knee from the beginning. That the show is deciding to use the logic of "But what will the common people think if you do that?" now when Cersei blew up the Vatican is just ridiculous.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
the counter argument is "we have never seen good people in kings landing, we just have to assume by mathematical probability some exist."

That's not the counter argument. The counter argument is that what she is doing is morally wrong, even in this society, despite what you think of the common folk. The common folk supporting Cersei or the crown does not automatically make them bad people when they lack education and the means to enrich their lives.

Plus there is preusmably no reason to start slaughtering everyone but the Unsullied and Dany do it anyway, that apparently happens after they destroy Euron, the GC turns, and throne is practically in reach. They are completely innocent people.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017

I mean, don't blame me, Dany is the one that's been going around the world claiming to be the breaker of chains and the only one with a claim to the throne that would actually give a damn about normal people by breaking the wheel. I'm not going to judge Dany's actions by how everyone else in Westeros has behaved, but by the bar she set for herself ever since she started expanding her power.

Askherserenity

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
The Tarleys are not the same as Janos Slynt and executing people that murdered Jon.

The Tarleys aren't even the first time she let her " the queen that is promised" bullshit get the best of her. Like I said, someone will make a video one day of all the signs through out the seasons. It's up to people to come to terms with the fact that this has been a slow broil. Not a sudden twist.

There are no signs.

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, don't blame me, Dany is the one that's been going around the world claiming to be the breaker of chains and the only one with a claim to the throne that would actually give a damn about normal people by breaking the wheel. I'm not going to judge Dany's actions by how everyone else in Westeros has behaved, but by the bar she set for herself ever since she started expanding her power.

That's fair to an extent. But it doesn't really square away with what the show is presenting as a "mad queen" turn.

It makes her a normal conqueror, not a mad one. There's only one person in the show that can be characterized as a mad queen, and that's Cersei.

No matter how many characters, acting as the show runners mouth pieces, call Dany "mad" it won't make it so.

Salsanta1373

Apr 6, 2019
The problem is about no one care about KL's people, if there was minor characters there maybe, but literally thousands are cheering for Dany to burn them and cant really bring my heart to care about nameless faceless extras suddenly. If they spent more time among the people, maybe showing Cersei placing wildfire bombs all around KL to deter Dany from burning all to the ground. What Im trying to say is show me why I should care, instead of telling me I should

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I hope everyone cheering for Dany to burn KL to ground were totally in favor of the Iraq war and the drone program.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You made my response for me, this never happened in the show. Not only are you ignoring context of what actually happened but now you're pulling in from outside material that doesnt even explicitly state that what you're saying is true either.
i didn't pull from outside material, i was simply pointing out that justice is never going to be achieved through mass execution, something that should be obvious even if the show does not state it explicitly.

Teiresias

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, having empathy for those in the line of fire is just a standard thing here, that's part of the reason the behavior of many of the high-born characters is frowned upon even though we don't really see or know any actual peasant that's currently in the line of fire in KL.

lucebuce

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pakistan
I hope everyone cheering for Dany to burn KL to ground were totally in favor of the Iraq war and the drone program.
9a2.gif

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

no one is cheering for this to happen, the camps are basically

Team Dany - we don't want her dead and want the best possible ending for her and probably on the throne, also why kill her for burning the common folk lol none of them are "good"

Team Story - actually Dany going mad queen has been hinted at and developed throughout the show and the books and Jon killing her and one of her last shots alive being her reaching for the throne is as tragic and beautiful as a "Game of Thrones" ending could get, also burning thousands of innocent people is like a bad thing you know.

Azzanadra

Oct 25, 2017
Canada

Team Dany - we don't want her dead and want the best possible ending for her and probably on the throne, also why kill her for burning the common folk lol none of them are "good"

Team Story - actually Dany going mad queen has been hinted at and developed throughout the show and the books and Jon killing her and one of her last shots alive being her reaching for the throne is as tragic and beautiful as a "Game of Thrones" ending could get, also burning thousands of innocent people is like a bad thing you know.

I'm team "sure this is a good concept on paper and I'm sure it will be executed well in the books, but D&D have not done it justice"

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

If you think railing against this season's overtly misogynistic and poorly written treatment of Daenerys means that fans wanted everything to be sunshine and rainbows for her, you aren't engaging in remotely good faith. But cute summary.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I'm team "sure this is a good concept on paper and I'm sure it will be executed in the books, but D&D have not done it justice"

and you don't think that's a rush to judgment?

when we already know there's more than enough reason for her to go crazy?

when we have 3 hours left?

when lots of the leaks will be wrong and many may have not leaked yet?

Persephone

Oct 25, 2017
If you think railing against this season's overtly misogynistic and poorly written treatment of Daenerys means that fans wanted everything to be sunshine and rainbows for her, you aren't engaging in remotely good faith. But cute summary.

I like how the second someone (and by someone I mean women who are fucking tired of this show's bullshit getting a pass) bring up the fact that this whole plotline (and season but lol who's counting) is wildly misogynistic we're accused of being either butthurt losers who are smad our fave's not getting a fairytale ending or PC Police who need to just turn off our brains and stop nitpicking every single thing as if the biggest show on television being massively sexist (and racist, and homophobic...) isn't a big deal because, as we all know, fiction does not affect reality.

But that's none of my business.

bye

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

I haven't heard a single person suggest something otherwise. What would be an acceptable ending for Daenerys that doesn't involve victory, in your mind?

And you're the one conflating my post with you/others "railing against the overly misogynistic writing". Im quite literally talking about fans of her character, many in this thread, that wanted her to win.

Status
Not open for further replies.