• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Vector

Feb 28, 2018
The show will end with Jon, Tyrion, Sansa, Bran, Bronn and Tormund saying it's a shame that Dany had to die, but that she was always kind of shit and had it coming for hurting the good people of King's Landing and wanting the Iron Throne and not being 100% a gullible pacifist. They will then huddle around Jon and sing him praise for being the ultimate hero, for whatever reason. Tyrion then makes a dick joke. Drogon, unbothered by his Mother's murder, curls up next to Jon affectionately.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
I feel mostly broken up about Dany's arc, and I cant really shake it.

Im not going to be able to rewatch the show.

All those triumphs and beautiful moments of overcoming adversity throughout the show for Dany meant nothing. Several season ending episodes with huge moral victories for Dany only to have her turn into the villain? Why? Because of something that isnt her fault? Her top advisors abandoned and betrayed her.

She has normal human reactions. Tyrion has failed her for like 2 seasons now with his military and political planning and strategy. Sansa completely fucked her (by virtue of being a sneak and screwing over her own brother).

I get it, its quintessential GoT to beat down and give our favorite characters (Ned, Rob, etc) bittersweet or plain bitter endings, but this one feels like the whole journey was for absolutely nothing. Like the show was a waste. Why spend so much time building up a character just to have everyone around her fuck her over and then try to portray HER as being irrational (aka Mad Queen)?

Doesn't make absolutely a lick of sense and almost completely ruins the whole show for me.

I mean, I DID predict a bittersweet ending for the show, its GoT after all, and all the people saying Dany or Jon would sit on the throne never made sense for the show that it was. But still, spending that much time on good things for Dany only to rip it apart in a season and a half is just terrible and doesn't feel good at all. At least Jon had an actual death, so the ups and downs made sense.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I actually don't mind Jon's story ending like that. Its perfect for him. Its Arya's and Jaimes that seem to be the worst in my opinion.

Exactly. 100% agreed

I think all the endpoints totally make sense. Like, if I hadn't seen those show and you told me that's where everyone ends, I'd believe it. Dany falling to her darker impulses, Jon retreating North and embracing the wildling identity he cultivated in book 2, Arya off to adventure rather than the regimented life of nobility, Jaime and Cersei dying together, etc. The only one that would feel out of left field is King Bran, but I wouldn't think it unreasonable that two books could get you there. But being told those ending are less than three hours of footage away is like lol no way, not based on where we are, not based on the context you've built around Jaime and Cersei, etc.

Also, completely random thought, one minor change that would have done a lot more to sell everyone's skepticism of Dany's mental state would be if back during the burning of the Tarlys, a good number of men had actually been rallied by Tarly into not kneeling. Executing one extremely unpleasant noble and his decent but loyal son is harsh and maybe misguided. but doesn't strike anyone as outside the norms of feudal war. If Tarly had dozens or hundreds of men standing with him, burning them all would've hit a lot harder, and would've better sold the idea that a significant portion of the population isn't ready to roll over for a foreign queen in a way that might be damaging to the mental state of someone who envisions themselves both as a ruler for the people, and destined to rule this particular people.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017
People keep saying this, but when the show would deviate from the books (that were already written), they were for the most part an improvement over the books.

I couldn't disagree with this more, and I say that as someone who was hyped as hell for the show and wanted more than anything to love it.

ProfessorLobo

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Jon going to live with the wildlings, growing old with Ghost at his side is the perfect ending. He's a dude who won't take off his fur coat even in the hot climate of King's Landing.
The North is constantly calling him. It's a perfect capstone to his story, expecially if he ends up having to kill the woman he loves and thus grows completely disgusted with the "civilized" world.

I don't really identify with this. It's not like he loved his time with the wildlings that much, they tried to fuckin kill him when he wouldn't murder people in cold blood. Maybe if Ygritte were still alive, but the only connection he has up there anymore is with Giantsbane. What's he gonna do for the next fifty years? Enjoy sub freezing temperatures with a bunch of cavemen?

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
But she has shown hints of being mad for years now, this shit isn't new, she can't deal with the fact people aren't kissing her feet like they do in essos.

I think Dany having to come to terms with her white saviour complex would be satisfying. She spent years enjoying being considered almost a goddess by people she ultimately felt were below her (and this has always been problematic, even in the books, if you ask me), she felt like a benevolent saviour, now she gets to the continent where the shitty people live and the shitty people won't see her as a goddess, they don't need a saviour, they just see her as a kid with a bad temper and very big guns. Her fantasy is crumbling. She's always been threating people like children, expecting them to rush to her lap because they needed to be saved (even when they didn't and didn't want to).

Now that she's discovered that being very powerful isn't enough to be loved when you can't exploit the people's struggle to position yourself as a saviour, her fantasy is showing cracks.

Visanideth

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I don't really identify with this. It's not like he loved his time with the wildlings that much, they tried to fuckin kill him when he wouldn't murder people in cold blood. Maybe if Ygritte were still alive, but the only connection he has up there anymore is with Giantsbane. What's he gonna do for the next fifty years? Enjoy sub freezing temperatures with a bunch of cavemen?

If he has to kill Dany, he'll just to want to go a place where he can be nobody and die in peace.

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if the show will try to make you feel for Kings Landing citizens any more than just showing them getting killed.

I doubt most people gave a shit for the folks that blew up in the Sept, so I'm not sure why I should care for the denizens of KL.

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017

after stabbing someone he loves, I think he just wants to be left alone, his quest ended with the destruction of the Night King, that's it

Dec 13, 2017
I'm just going to come out and say I don't buy this leak, because now we have conflicting leaks from a bunch of places. This last leak says nothing about Tyrion's trial and execution. Friki has said that the ending is more Disney than anything else. Doesn't mean somethings won't happen, but it's the same things we all think will happen (Cersei/Jaime, Hound/Mountain). Bran ending up as king makes 0 sense when he doesn't even want to be lord of winterfell, he says he lives in the past and his role is that of the 3ER, it would make 0 sense for him to be king and far more likely for a council of people to rule together type deal. Maybe he is in that council, but I doubt he will be king. Also, this totally assassinates Dany's character in like 2 episodes. I really thought her arc would turn into her figuring out that throne isn't the only thing that will make her happy. Her going mad queen in 2 episodes is too much of a stretch after making her be the hero for 7 1/2 seasons. So I'm calling BS on this, even though I do think Jon fucks off North, but everyone pretty much thought he would fuck off North anyway.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

The show flubbed the landing for that since Book! Jon thinks that he's half a wildling and loves their culture and makes friend with them.

Every day he spent among the wildlings made what he had to do that much harder. He was going to have to find some way to betray these men, and when he did they would die. He did not want their friendship, any more than he wanted Ygritte's love. And yet . . . the Thenns spoke the Old Tongue and seldom talked to Jon at all, but it was different with Jarl's raiders, the men who'd climbed the Wall. Jon was coming to know them despite himself: gaunt, quiet Errok and gregarious Grigg the Goat, the boys Quort and Bodger, Hempen Dan the ropemaker. The worst of the lot was Del, a horsefaced youth near Jon's own age, who would talk dreamily of this wildling girl he meant to steal. "She's lucky, like your Ygritte. She's kissed by fire."
Jon had to bite his tongue. He didn't want to know about Del's girl or Bodger's mother, the place by the sea that Henk the Helm came from, how Grigg yearned to visit the green men on the Isle of Faces, or the time a moose had chased Toefinger up a tree. He didn't want to hear about the boil on Big Boil's arse, how much ale Stone Thumbs could drink, or how Quort's little brother had begged him not to go with Jarl. Quort could not have been older than fourteen, though he'd already stolen himself a wife and had a child on the way. "Might be he'll be born in some castle," the boy boasted. "Born in a castle like a lord!" He was very taken with the "castles" they'd seen, by which he meant watchtowers.

We needed bonding like this in season 3 and not just Ygritte and Jon falling in love.

Mully cleared his throat. "M'lord? The wildling princess, letting her go, the men may say—"

"—that I am half a wildling myself, a turncloak who means to sell the realm to our raiders, cannibals, and giants." Jon did not need to stare into a fire to know what was being said of him. The worst part was, they were not wrong, not wholly. "Words are wind, and the wind is always blowing at the Wall. Come."

JVID

Oct 25, 2017
Chicagoland
This better be a stab through the heart if it's gonna instakill her. Arya survive a gut stab just fine. I'd expect her death to be more ambiguous like stannis or more recently rheagal. With Drogon picking her up and flying off almost immediately after and before she's actually dead-dead.

iksenpets

Oct 26, 2017
Dallas, TX
I wonder if the show will try to make you feel for Kings Landing citizens any more than just showing them getting killed.

I doubt most people gave a shit for the folks that blew up in the Sept, so I'm not sure why I should care for the denizens of KL.

I feel like the single most important thing for landing their ending will be establishing the King's landing mob as being legitimately opposed to Dany. I feel like the ending only has any hope of working if we believe that that city really does reject her, so her violence makes sense to her.

I'm just going to come out and say I don't buy this leak, because now we have conflicting leaks from a bunch of places. This last leak says nothing about Tyrion's trial and execution. Friki has said that the ending is more Disney than anything else. Doesn't mean somethings won't happen, but it's the same things we all think will happen (Cersei/Jaime, Hound/Mountain). Bran ending up as king makes 0 sense when he doesn't even want to be lord of winterfell, he says he lives in the past and his role is that of the 3ER, it would make 0 sense for him to be king and far more likely for a council of people to rule together type deal. Maybe he is in that council, but I doubt he will be king. Also, this totally assassinates Dany's character in like 2 episodes. I really thought her arc would turn into her figuring out that throne isn't the only thing that will make her happy. Her going mad queen in 2 episodes is too much of a stretch after making her be the hero for 7 1/2 seasons. So I'm calling BS on this, even though I do think Jon fucks off North, but everyone pretty much thought he would fuck off North anyway.

There seems to be far more evidence for this than any of the Friki stuff. The Friki stuff sounds more and more like it was one of their fakeouts.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It's only a stretch to people who failed to see it coming for years. Come on, casual watchers I know saw this growing through out the seasons. She's been her daddy she just won't hearing voices (yet)

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
It's only a stretch to people who failed to see it coming for years. Come on, casual watchers I know saw this growing through out the seasons. She's been her daddy she just won't hearing voices (yet)
It doesnt make any sense that an entire show thats whole purpose was to show that she was different from the rest all of a sudden turns her into the same thing.

Like, why?

darkwing

Oct 25, 2017
This better be a stab through the heart if it's gonna instakill her. Arya survive a gut stab just fine. I'd expect her death to be more ambiguous like stannis or more recently rheagal. With Drogon picking her up and flying off almost immediately after and before she's actually dead-dead.

how about a stab to the stomach, and Dany screams our boat babies and dies of a broken heart

Dec 13, 2017
There seems to be far more evidence for this than any of the Friki stuff. The Friki stuff sounds more and more like it was one of their fakeouts.

Friki's source is someone who does translatons of the scripts, so I don't really see how that's possible. He's also the only 100% credible dude so far.

Her burning the Tarly's? That's not Mad Queen material, literally any other ruler would execute people for not following them. Jon has done the same thing for people who have disobeyed him. She's also shown she isn't her dad because in the end she listens to reason, which is something her dad did not do. This is just a force issue now because they're trying to show this mad queen angle and it's written poorly. She is more Mad Queen-ish in the books because she has more of a temper there, but it's not the same in the shows. Books may have her as mad queen endgame, but the way the show went about it seems awful. Still don't buy it because there have been a number of leaks already that so far haven't been 100% on the nose.

Hydrus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It isn't. She's stabbed and stumbles to the throne and before she can touch it, she dies. I guess the house of the undying vision really did tell us the ending :( She goes to the afterlife to be with Drogo and Rheago.
God I hate this.

VinFTW

Oct 25, 2017
what makes you think the purpose of game of thrones is to show that hereditary monarchy is a good idea?
I mean her whole goal from the start was to be a ruler for the people, to give the people a voice, and to be a "destroyer of tyrants". yes, hereditary monarchy is "more of the same" in concept/theory, by definition of the concept, but clearly it was build, designed and portrayed through almost 8 full seasons that she was "different" and "good". hence all those glorious moral victory scenes and storylines.

Again, it feels like it was all a waste of time for such a quick, poorly written heel turn.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
It doesnt make any sense that an entire show thats whole purpose was to show that she was different from the rest all of a sudden turns her into the same thing.

Like, why?
But like she wasn't different, there have been so many Sunday nights over the years where we saw that. I don't know video editing or have the time to sit here and make a comprehensive descent into madness video. Someone will make one eventually.

She was never going to break the wheel, there mere fact that she thought she could showed just how out of touch she was. No one in Wrsteros wants her there.

Westeros is reality smacking Dany in the face, she may take the throne but it wont end well for her or her fans. But who knows, maybe D&D will give everyone happy endings.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean her whole goal from the start was to be a ruler for the people, to give the people a voice, and to be a "destroyer of tyrants". yes, hereditary monarchy is "more of the same" in concept/theory, by definition of the concept, but clearly it was build, designed and portrayed through almost 8 full seasons that she was "different" and "good". hence all those glorious moral victory scenes and storylines.

Again, it feels like it was all a waste of time for such a quick, poorly written heel turn.

it was portrayed that she believed she was good and different. she still wanted her ass on a throne.

ivan.k

Banned
Dec 30, 2017
Moscow
etw2aneuzrw21.png

What kind of bullshit excuse is this? They literally discussed enemy positions before going to KL and she just forgot about fleet? FFS this is unbelievable

Oct 25, 2017

Again, it feels like it was all a waste of time for such a quick, poorly written heel turn

It absolutely is. You'd think they'd start seeding this stuff seasons ago rather than rely on two incompetent characters in Tyrion and Varys to outline the heel turn rather than write it convincingly.

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Friki's source is someone who does translatons of the scripts, so I don't really see how that's possible. He's also the only 100% credible dude so far.

Her burning the Tarly's? That's not Mad Queen material, literally any other ruler would execute people for not following them. Jon has done the same thing for people who have disobeyed him. She's also shown she isn't her dad because in the end she listens to reason, which is something her dad did not do. This is just a force issue now because they're trying to show this mad queen angle and it's written poorly. She is more Mad Queen-ish in the books because she has more of a temper there, but it's not the same in the shows. Books may have her as mad queen endgame, but the way the show went about it seems awful. Still don't buy it because there have been a number of leaks already that so far haven't been 100% on the nose.
The Tarleys are not the same as Janos Slynt and executing people that murdered Jon.

The Tarleys aren't even the first time she let her " the queen that is promised" bullshit get the best of her. Like I said, someone will make a video one day of all the signs through out the seasons. It's up to people to come to terms with the fact that this has been a slow broil. Not a sudden twist.

John Dunbar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i do wonder about that drogon taking dany's body bit. is drogon in the throne room? or do they carry dany outside and drogon comes and snatches her? though one of the leaks did say he started at jon, so i dunno.

El Bombastico

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Like, why?

How was she different? She had dragons, she was all but worshipped by her followers, and she burned anyone that got in her way.

How is that different from Aegon the Conqueror? The only difference is that Aegon WON, and as the saying goes, history is written by the winners.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Its double standards and trying to excuse shoddy writing. Thats literally all it is. Ironic that Dany is being called the mad queen when we already have a mad queen ruling KL who actually deserves that title considering she actually burns her own people alive vs Dany who is about to have innocent people die as apart of war which is entirely normal for this world but all of a sudden when Dany does it shes crazy.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
How was she different? She had dragons, she was all but worshipped by her followers, and she burned anyone that got in her way.

How is that different from Aegon the Conqueror? The only difference is that Aegon WON, and as the saying goes, history is written by the winners.
I cant think of a single person Dany killed that didnt deserve it.

jviggy43

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
and when dany is killed she too will deserve it.
What has she done to deserve this?
I'm sure Aegon, Tywin, and Ramsay all said the same thing.

Meanwhile, the family and friend's of those they murdered see them as monsters.

Yep
They might have said the same thing, that doesn't actually mean the people those characters killed deserved it. Try arguing that anyone Dany killed didn't have it coming. Because for the above I could easily argue why characters those men killed didn't deserve. You couldn't do that for Dany.

Maneil99

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Its double standards and trying to excuse shoddy writing. Thats literally all it is. Ironic that Dany is being called the mad queen when we already have a mad queen ruling KL who actually deserves that title considering she actually burns her own people alive vs Dany who is about to have innocent people die as apart of war which is entirely normal for this world but all of a sudden when Dany does it shes crazy.
She's called the mad queen because her father was known for years as the mad king

Status
Not open for further replies.