ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017
I actually like reading Nate Silver's tweets about this, because he's actually looking at the data, and what seems promising vs. what doesn't seem promising. As an example, he thinks Washington State's progress is good, as the % of a positive outcome per test is staying fairly low (5-6%), and they're doing more tests than the average state. On the other hand, NY has something like 9-16% positive test rate atm. He attributes it to Seattle and Washington State locking down earlier than most of the country, and we're starting to see the results of it.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
I'm interested in this. I'm living with two old folk, and I will be the one going outside to get food. If I get symptoms, have I already fucked them or can I quarantine myself in a room and have them leave food outside the door?

I haven't seen any data or advice though.
By the time you show symptoms you have been contagious for days. The whole house will be quarantined.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Is there any data on spread within households?

Like if one family member gets it and quarantines, the likelihood the other family members will contract it?
Family transmission was one of the biggest infection vectors early on in China, if not the biggest one.
China invested heavily in quarantine centers for non critical patients to be isolated at.
I think we should do the same, I don't think it's realistic for most people to successfully isolate themselves from their family while living under the same roof.
Though obviously, there need to be extensive testing of anyone with symptoms for such system to work on any level.

NealMcCauley

Oct 27, 2017
I'm working from home but had to go in today to do a few small things. I brought my ps4 and was able to download maybe 400GB of game data in sub 4 hours. I work in a uni lib so it was just a matter of registering the mac address. An hour later my boss sends an email saying "If you need anything from your office grab it by tomorrow." Whew.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Got an email from Best Buy talking about alternate store hours and only a small number of customers in the store at a time.

Had this to say about its employees:

I got an email from Best Buy that my preorder has been converted to curbside pickup. They're taking the products to my car.

DukeBlueBall

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seattle, WA
Any new theories as to why some countries are disproportionately affected? I used to think it's pollution, but France, Spain are not that polluted.

www.worldometers.info

Spain COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Spain Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
www.worldometers.info

France COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

France Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
www.worldometers.info

Germany COVID - Coronavirus Statistics - Worldometer

Germany Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.

Dice

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
According to a Chinese study spread within households was one of the biggest contributor, so they tried to stop that by separating the infected member and quarantine him in a hospital/hotel/stadium. As long as you take all the possible cautions the other members should be safe, but you need to go out with a mask and gloves to prevent any possible contagion.

Fuck.

We've already said that as a joke, "If I go down, you're all coming with me!!". But it's seems so difficult at that point, it's hard as hell not to interact in close living quarters – even a little seems possible detrimental with how easily COVID transfers.

Detective Pidgey

Alt Account
Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I live in Asia, and the past two weeks I have been working like a dog. It has been the busiest March in 3 years, with an avalanche of PRC deals, and regional private equity (who are notoriously sensitive to liquidity, crisis and pricing) being quite active.

I have no god like understanding of why this is, but my supposition is that, following three months of down time, and given the region is now managed (rather than unmanageable), there is a pent up demand and bounceback.

That suggests to me that, notwithstanding economic fears, it will actually be better for the West in 2-3 months. Think of it like an extended holiday (a bit like how France shuts down for the whole of August) with a real desire to do business and get back to work after it.

That my friend actually doesn't sound too bad and i really hope that's the case. The uncertainty is what's truly bad, you just don't know what's going to happen. All we can do is try to follow the rules as much as possible, try to stay inside as much as we can and hope for the best.

I see stores closing down left and right here, soon only a few will remain open. I heard from friends that very soon only supermarkets and apothecaries will remain open and that's it. That is until April 6th, then they will see where we are with all this and make further decisions. I certainly hope the economy won't collapse though because I fear very much for what happens next. There's only so much you can do at home when it comes to your job. I mean factories for example have to remain open, well, some, some are crucial.

But I'm not gonna worry too much , I'm gonna continue my day to day life as usual, just being more inside, only walks with the dog and groceries and hope for the best.

pizoxuat

Jan 12, 2018
Yeah, but that doesn't mean the rest of the household is infected. They should be quarantined, but I should also be quarantined from them, ideally.
Oh yeah, I didn't realize that is what you were asking about. Keep your distance, wash your hands, all that. But members of your household will also be quarantined regardless of what you do to keep your distance.

Rowsdower

Shinra Employee of The Wise Ones
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Canada update for today:

Total cases: 871 (+144; between 120 and 150 seem to be becoming our baseline).
Recovered: 11
Deaths: 12 (9 in BC, 2 in Ontario, 1 in Alberta; all are 50+ or had underlying health conditions. Most of the BC deaths linked to the Lynn Valley Care Centre).

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
I was able to convince my mom who lives in Colorado to use her vacation to take the rest of the week off. She called in yesterday (wednesday) and took it off until Monday. People at her work are not taking it seriously at all, so I had to call her up and walk her through the information I have been watching and reading. She is pretty informed now and our plan is to wait it out until hopefully Sunday. Hopefully by Sunday the stats will have come out in Colorado about how bad it has spread and they will close everything down. That way she doesn't have to go back to work and we will figure out how we can pay her bills for the time being. I'd rather her not get a paycheck then have to to her work. My concern is Colorado is so far behind the curve with implementing precautions and closing shit down.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
My prediction (so I can come back and say I nailed it):
- The anti-malarial medicine + azithromycin treatment will pan out as being generally effective.
- Somewhere between mid-April to mid-May, things will start to re-open across the states
- Wearing facemasks will be openly encouraged and will become commonplace
- Temps will be taken at most schools and many other public / private places through next winter
- Cuomo will be lauded for his handling of the situation in NY
- West Virginia will say the country over-reacted
- Biden wins the presidency

The effectiveness of the anti-malaria drugs has likely been greatly exaggerated. It's definitely not some kind of panacea.

Violence Jack

Drive-in Mutant
Oct 25, 2017
Denver is doing something awesome for artists. They are allowing artists (even musicians) to receive a $1,000 grant, and also setting aside $4 million to help small business owners. The governor just ordered all spas, hair & nail salons (hello afro), and non-essential medical offices closed.

Johnny956

Oct 25, 2017
I know a few in this position. Sounds like it's pretty short-term, as I'll imagine it'll be all and any hands on deck in the upcoming weeks.

My wife is a nurse anesthetist and it's kind of the same situation. But they're already making plans to rotate them into COVID situations if it spikes. And none of us believe it won't.

For a nurse like your wife. My guess is, it's slow for a few weeks and magic happens and it stays slow because it doesn't spike and it's back to normal in a month. Or shit hits the fan and they'll be a role for her if she wants it.

My wife is also a nurse anesthetist so good to hear. Yea every OR in our city is closing Monday so will be interesting to see what happens

Ernest

Oct 25, 2017
So.Cal.
Any new theories as to why some countries are disproportionately affected? I used to think it's pollution, but France, Spain are not that polluted.

www.worldometers.info

Spain Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
www.worldometers.info

France Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
www.worldometers.info

Germany Coronavirus update with statistics and graphs: total and new cases, deaths per day, mortality and recovery rates, current active cases, recoveries, trends and timeline.
Those number show which country has the better health care.

Guppeth

Oct 25, 2017
Sheffield, UK
Oh yeah, I didn't realize that is what you were asking about. Keep your distance, wash your hands, all that. But members of your household will also be quarantined regardless of what you do to keep your distance.
That's the scariest part. I should be removed and isolated in that situation, but that's not what we're doing in the UK. I need to figure out a plan if it comes to that. I don't know if I should even keep using the bathroom, or completely lock myself in one room and shit in a bucket. Not really practical for longer than a couple of days.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I was able to convince my mom who lives in Colorado to use her vacation to take the rest of the week off. She called in yesterday (wednesday) and took it off until Monday. People at her work are not taking it seriously at all, so I had to call her up and walk her through the information I have been watching and reading. She is pretty informed now and our plan is to wait it out until hopefully Sunday. Hopefully by Sunday the stats will have come out in Colorado about how bad it has spread and they will close everything down. That way she doesn't have to go back to work and we will figure out how we can pay her bills for the time being. I'd rather her not get a paycheck then have to to her work. My concern is Colorado is so far behind the curve with implementing precautions and closing shit down.

Polis hasn't been super aggressive, but I expect a shelter in place from him by the end of the weekend. Obviously the numbers aren't going to get any better anytime soon. Hancock (mayor of Denver) said he thinks shelter in place should be regional but he can't guarantee he won't do it within 48 hours. To me, that means he expects Polis to do it.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Is there any data on spread within households?

Like if one family member gets it and quarantines, the likelihood the other family members will contract it?

On french TV they announced 60% of infections under quarantine are from within the household... it doesn't say the risk of getting it... but it must be VERY HIGH.
This virus is spreads very easily if you don't pay attention. You would have to always distance yourself, so people in small urban apartments are certain to pass it to the family... suburbs with multiple floors, reserve one for the sick and keep your distances.
Remember the virus survives at least 3 days on a lot of surfaces (metals, plastics...) , so cleaning up is important where a diseased went about.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
They're the most populous countries in Europe and the biggest tourist destinations in the world (well, not Germany)

Not to mention, this was also around the time of Lunar New Year, when lots of people travel to be with family, or take trips with each other. These places might have been popular places to go to, and just got hit earlier/spread more easily, than in the US.

Deleted member 19844

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
United States
The effectiveness of the anti-malaria drugs has likely been greatly exaggerated. It's definitely not some kind of panacea.
Didn't say it was a panacea — i said generally effective. Your sense of the effectiveness being "greatly exaggerated" is as unsubstantiated as my prediction. We don't know yet.

But really, I'm just making a prediction — I'm not an expert. Time will tell if it's right or not.

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Didn't say it was a panacea — i said generally effective. Your sense of the effectiveness being "greatly exaggerated" is as unsubstantiated as my prediction. We don't know yet.

But really, I'm just making a prediction — I'm not an expert. Time will tell if it's right or not.

I'm just nervous because I'm already seeing TONS of social media content saying things like "a cure has been found!" since Donald's absurd press conference. Lots of people are talking about it like it's taking antibiotics when you have strep.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
Polis hasn't been super aggressive, but I expect a shelter in place from him by the end of the weekend. Obviously the numbers aren't going to get any better anytime soon. Hancock (mayor of Denver) said he thinks shelter in place should be regional but he can't guarantee he won't do it within 48 hours. To me, that means he expects Polis to do it.
What do you mean "shelter"? As in the order for everyone to stay inside?

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Marcus SMart

"Shelter in place", it means "remain where you are". It's an emergency instruction.

It is a little confusing so far. In the areas of California that called for Shelter in Place, people are still able to go for walks, exercise outside (alone or following social distancing rules), go to the super market, pharmacy, pick up take out, etc. I think it's generally being used more for law enforcement as a mechanism to crack down on people who are not following the guidelines and endangering other people, or further influence to have company's close their doors if they can.

In Mass, so far we don't have a shelter in place rule where I am, but we're basically following that already. My wife and I have gone for a long walk with the baby every day around the neighborhood, and we basically only go out for essentials. Today the weather sucked so it was the first day where we truly felt a little stir crazy... and it's still gonne be a long ... month... 2 months... 3 months... whatever.

Although I'll be looking forward to when the weather improved, I'd fucking love to use some of this time to go on long hikes at places I've been meaning to hit but haven't been able to. We have a toddler at home so that's a little harder than usual, but still. And, of course, hoping I have the health to.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Question for y'all in the form of a scenario that may or may not exist

You're in a city that has shut down restaurants, limited subway service, and is urging people to stay inside. A roommate's girlfriend comes over. She will probably stay the night. She is coughing.

Do you say something?

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
Just found out that my coworker's doctor is infected. Now said coworker is off for the next couple weeks.

I've been in semi regular contact with the dude for who knows how long.

Freaking wonderful.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands

You're in a city that has shut down restaurants, limited subway service, and is urging people to stay inside. A roommate's girlfriend comes over. She will probably stay the night. She is coughing.

Do you say something?
Outright demand that she stays at her own place. Inviting someone who's coughing over is extremely irresponsible, it being the roommate's girlfriend doesn't change that.

Juturna

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Do you say something?

I do. Now is a time where I'll allow myself to be a dick when it comes to my health.

Nelo Ice

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Just found out that my coworker's doctor is infected. Now said coworker is off for the next couple weeks.

I've been in semi regular contact with the dude for who knows how long.

Freaking wonderful.
This is gonna hit everyone. Dreading the news when I hear someone in my social circle or even myself tests positive.

DarthWoo

Oct 27, 2017
There's a huge glut of new (largely unaffordable) apartment housing nearing completion in my town (like at least 2000 units). I feel like internal migration, especially into "luxury" apartments, will not be a huge priority for a lot of people right now, so I wonder why the state doesn't try to strike a deal with the developers to temporarily convert the apartments into overflow quarantine centers. Maybe they could repurpose the workers building an unwanted and long-delayed pipeline directly through residential neighborhoods to retrofit the apartments for medical purposes.

TrAcEr_x90

Oct 27, 2017
Shelter-in-place means non-essential businesses must close, and people should remain in their homes except for necessities (work, groceries, etc.).

It's currently going on in much of Northern California.
My mom works at a Mortuary. I am hoping the owners don't try to say it's essential because of the people dieing.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017

I hope you are right. The sad reality is even if that proves effective it doesn't impact the spread of the asymptomatic cases. Hopefully it proves effective enough to lessen the impact on the healthcare system and we can reduce the amount of time we need to be locked away.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
It's freaking awful to be forced to go to work when I should stay home to ensure I won't get sick. The streets are almost empty, everybody is home.

I just wanna work from home but they won't let me, only people who are over 60. My husband and I are both young but he has high blood pressure, and I don't wanna take my chances either, it feels so unfair to still have to endanger myself just because the higher ups don't feel like it's the moment yet. When they finally decide it's time to close, I'm afraid I might have gotten it already.

Krakatoa

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017

www.worldometers.info

www.worldometers.info

www.worldometers.info

It's probably because people can get tested easier in those countries.

Deleted member 1476

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Do you say something?

I would cough even harder and put a lighter to my thermometer, then show it to them.

"Mate, I don't feel so *cough* good *cough*.I'm outta breath constan...huff.....tly."

When you can't reason with people, scare the living shit out of them. Sometimes it works.

JAGMASK

Jan 3, 2018
Any info on how long symptoms can last for? I've had a blinding headache since monday morning and today my chest feels a bit tight, like I notice that I'm breathing in deep breaths every so often.

I've been trying to self isolate since monday but I had to pick my dad's laptop up from his work on tuesday so he can work from home. He's been feeling weak/tired since Friday.

No idea if I have it (no testing in UK for mild symptoms) but I'm just going to ride this out and stay in for the next few weeks.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017

www.worldometers.info

www.worldometers.info

www.worldometers.info

Speculation:
  • France and Spain are the number 1 and number 2 tourist destinations in the world, respectively. They were probably seeded with the virus in a greater amount and for a longer duration than many other countries.
  • Both countries are extremely urbanized. Even in rural areas, the villages are quite dense. In general, there's higher engagement at the street level in these countries - people go to squares, bars, cafes, etc. Travel within cities and between cities is often done through public transit.
  • Both countries responded too slowly. Even with Italy as an example, Spain did not cancel many events until it was far too late.
  • Social norms like cheek kissing.

sweetmini

Jun 12, 2019
Any info on how long symptoms can last for? I've had a blinding headache since monday morning and today my chest feels a bit tight, like I notice that I'm breathing in deep breaths every so often. I've been trying to self isolate since monday but I had to pick my dad's laptop up from his work on tuesday so he can work from home. He's been feeling weak/tired since Friday. No idea if I have it (no testing in UK for mild symptoms) but I'm just going to ride this out and stay in for the next few weeks.

depending on people i would say 7 to 14 days, and you'll be a much lesser producer of the virus after 7 days after the end of the symptoms (over here it's the recommendation given to medical personnel affected, to come back to work after 7 days following the end of symptoms), but in reality, the real check is a testing, negative with two tests 24h apart.