Naijaboy

The Fallen
Mar 13, 2018
So yeah... I have been quaranteering myself for the past few days since I have a fever and my work decided to send me home. So I gave a sample and hunkered down. I got the result... and tested negative. Thank God. I still have a bit of a fever though so I'm not sure what''s causing it.

Xater

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
I worry about all the older people around me. I am fine, and I should be fine if I get the virus, but I am doing everything to prevent it.

I am honestly not impressed by how the German government has been handling things. It feels like every decision has been made days if not a week to late. To really slow the spread down just going for the national emergency route early on is probably the best. There are just too many careless and inconsiderate people.

Oct 27, 2017
Uhh my two roommates are still planning to go on a Tahoe trip next week and they still need to go to a retail job/ public transit while I work from home. Should I just peace out and go chill with my family (who don't work in the public) for the next couple months?

Plum

May 31, 2018
By the way I hope you're feeling a bit better!

I am. I think realising that I can do some stuff right now, even if it's not that big, makes it somewhat easier. There's still an extreme level of anxiety there but I need to do everything I can to stop these freak outs. They're doing nothing but harm to me and others.

Guardian liveblog is decent (new one each day, linked in the final message)

For a super quick overview can just read the important points in red on the left.

www.theguardian.com

US extends travel ban to UK and Ireland – as it happened

Ivanka Trump working from home as a precaution; US House passes virus aid package; China records 11 new cases; WHO says Europe is at centre of pandemic

That definitley seems helpful, thank you very much!

crazillo

Apr 5, 2018
I'm really worried about my mum, 69 years of age, who has just ended her chemotherapy after being diagnosed with lung cancer last autumn. I do read that older cancer patients are a group that needs to be extremely cautious as of now. She wanted to treat herself a nice holiday after the treatment in Gran Canaria starting next week. She told me today that she wouldn't go and I'm really relieved. The only good thing about her is that the doctors always found her to be in relatively good constitution throughout the whole treatment. Her immune system has also rebuild according to the latest blood tests. I know she's older already, but does anyone here know whether I can worry a little less about her given that her treatment is almost finished? As this virus is often tackling the lungs, I'm not sure I can be.

Have been trying to work on my PhD but it was difficult to focus this week with everything that's happening around us.

Hero_of_the_Day

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
So yeah... I have been quaranteering myself for the past few days since I have a fever and my work decided to send me home. So I gave a sample and hunkered down. I got the result... and tested negative. Thank God. I still have a bit of a fever though so I'm not sure what''s causing it.

This is still so much normal ass flu and colds going around here in Central Illinois. So fucking many people are or have been sick around me, it's fucking crazy.

Crazyorloco

Dec 12, 2017
Flights, trains and busses need to be stopped at this point from coming out of NYC.

Lock it down.

they seem to be taking their time locking nyc down. Kids and teachers are expected to go to public a school still this Monday. I understand children need to eat, but in the summer most nyc parks offer free lunch to all children (even if you're not a resident of nyc)... also summer school provides lunch.

I don't know what's the hold up.

Oct 25, 2017
ETGFWX-WAAEwgEY

Serule

Oct 25, 2017
No confirmed cases in our city (Dayton OH) so we went out for dinner last night and tonight. Mexican restaurant last night had people but definitely quiet for a Friday. BW's tonight was a ghost town, but probably a combination of virus fears + no sports going on. Both restaurants had employees spraying tables constantly and using hand sanitizer. If cases continue to explode probably will not go out next weekend.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
My mom tripped when she was walking to a grocery store. She had her knee x-ray at a walk-in clinic but she have to visit a general hospital to check for her hand. I wonder if it is safe for her to visit a hospital? She's over 65. Over 60+ cases in the province of Ontario. Will she be safe? Or I'm just being paranoid?

Failburger

Banned
Dec 3, 2018
This is insane

twitter.com

Ben Phillips on Twitter

“Graphs are useful but to really get what that rising curve is, have a look at the obituaries page of this Bergamo daily newspaper, comparing one from February with one from now https://t.co/78mgZseyVt”

Deleted member 17092

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I'm at the point with those NYC numbers that this entire country is in for a hell of a ride. It's going to be long and tragic.

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
On top of my 3-4 days of sore throat, up and down fever, headache, random pink eye I developed, my chest has started to ache and my coughs have been getting more phlegmy.

Cool. Calling the doc tomorrow. Don't expect there to be any action taken though, since I'm young and not dying yet.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Based on eye-witness accounts and Instagram stories, I can assure you that the city of Chicago will look back at this particular St. Patrick's Day as our most regrettable moment in decades. The crowds looked lighter, but it was still overall PACKED in some of the busier bars.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
Based on eye-witness accounts and Instagram stories, I can assure you that the city of Chicago will look back at this particular St. Patrick's Day as our most regrettable moment in decades. The crowds looked lighter, but it was still overall PACKED in some of the busier bars.
Dumbasses. Alot of my family live here Chicago sigh

ChippyTurtle

Banned
Oct 13, 2018
On top of my 3-4 days of sore throat, up and down fever, headache, random pink eye I developed, my chest has started to ache and my coughs have been getting more phlegmy.

Cool. Calling the doc tomorrow. Don't expect there to be any action taken though, since I'm young and not dying yet.

A dry cough is a symptom of the coronavirus. Wet is not really.

CrankyJay

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Not sure phlegm is corona.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
My workplace is strongly encouraging (but not outright forcing) us to work from home.

I've noticed some coworkers subtly pressuring others to come in to work in person, in the form of subtly shaming those of us who think the virus is a big deal. Things like emphasizing the fact that *they* are going to be coming in to work in person, sending group-wide emails about the importance of being rational and not fear-monger, etc. They're all on the older side, of course. I wonder how much of it is attributable to not wanting to admit that something's gone wrong under Trump's watch.

Thankfully leadership is taking the situation seriously.

Nakayumi

Nov 8, 2017
My Japanese friend has been working everyday this month at their Nike Japan store. Did they really not close any stores?
They didn't. Most stores remain open and public life is largely going on as usual. Kids being off from school means they gather at parks and parents have no real control over them, as many still make their daily commute to work. Mouth caps are supposed to protect us all (right...) and because of the lack of testing many are forced to go to work as usual. Trains are slightly less packed, but still pretty full during rush hour. Honestly, it's kind of crazy.

But the Olympics must go on, public health be damned.

The only thing I'm grateful for at the moment is that large scale hoarding and food panic has not occurred (yet). Outside of toilet paper and mouth caps, food is still on shelves everywhere. Didn't stop me from slowly building up a month supply. Abe and his goons tend to change their statements overnight, and a sudden declaration of the state of emergency will likely have people hoarding just like everywhere else.

ArchedThunder

Uncle Beerus
Oct 25, 2017
I'm fucking livid right now. My mother is 55 and has asthma and she's going to a stupid fucking Rod Stewart concert. I tried to tell her how stupid this was and she keeps saying "I'll be fine". Even if she is fine she could spread the virus to someone who won't be. She fucking hung up on me when I was trying to stop her.

pirata

Oct 25, 2017

I'm having some of the same symptoms. Called a nurse line this morning, basically said I wouldn't qualify for testing, that I should treat my symptoms, and that I'm not in danger because I'm young.

I hope if my symptoms develop to the point that I need urgent medical care that I'll actually be able to get it...

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019
The US and the UK will be such disasters soon. I am legitimately worried and horrified about what's to come and most of it could be avoided if the institutions took action. I really wish they would've learned from China and Italy. I am so worried :/

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
I'm fucking livid right now. My mother is 55 and has asthma and she's going to a stupid fucking Rod Stewart concert. I tried to tell her how stupid this was and she keeps saying "I'll be fine". Even if she is fine she could spread the virus to someone who won't be. She fucking hung up on me when I was trying to stop her.
Sorry dude,the best thing you can do here is keep checking up on her

Oct 25, 2017
They didn't. Most stores remain open and public life is largely going on as usual. Kids being off from school means they gather at parks and parents have no real control over them, as many still make their daily commute to work. Mouth caps are supposed to protect us all (right...) and because of the lack of testing many are forced to go to work as usual. Trains are slightly less packed, but still pretty full during rush hour. Honestly, it's kind of crazy.

But the Olympics must go on, public health be damned.

The only thing I'm grateful for at the moment is that large scale hoarding and food panic has not occurred (yet). Outside of toilet paper and mouth caps, food is still on shelves everywhere. Didn't stop me from slowly building up a month supply. Abe and his goons tend to change their statements overnight, and a sudden declaration of the state of emergency will likely have people hoarding just like everywhere else.
My friend messaged me that the Japanese government was creating too much panic 2 weeks ago. and shit still isn't closed down. That's crazy.

Samiya

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 30, 2019

That is really awful to hear. Is there any way to stop her? She sounds like she'll be in the vulnerable group, especially with her asthma. :(

zero2000

Oct 28, 2017
Boston Bars are packed despite EVERYTHING that has happened. I should be shocked, but I'm not

I'm a president of a local rugby club, and I am seeing a lot of people from the community not taking it seriously and joking about "if you drink beer out of a dirty cleat, you are probably immune." And they are the ones to go out and drink on weekends also.

Needless to say, I suspended all practices, games, and organized events for 3 weeks, and will re-evaluate moving forward. Although I foresee the entire spring season being a dud, at the very least.

GalvoAg

Oct 30, 2017
Dallas
Boston Bars are packed despite EVERYTHING that has happened. I should be shocked, but I'm not
Yep it just had to happen on one of the biggest bar weekends there is. We have a big pub crawl in my town tomorrow and they have no plans on shutting it down despite the county and all surrounding having cases. My friends think I'm crazy for not wanting to go.

AzVal

May 7, 2018
In Costa Rica they cases are few atm, but I am starting to feel anxious.

As antisocial as I am I am at a wedding reception of a friend, first party I go in more than a decade, along my 90 year old grandmother. I hope we remain safe, but I will need to convince my grandmother to skip mass for a while, Catholic rites seems a nighmare from contagion oportunities standpoint.

People at work are still shaking hands, which again I dont start myself, but will need to start to refuse to do emphatically.

Thankfully we will start work from home at least 3 days next week, still those other 2 days I grab a train and a bus each way.