Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Never known London so quiet.... Think this is going to be my last week of traveling up here with work for a while, imagine they'll put a stop on it before too long

eso76

Prophet of Truth
Dec 8, 2017
I want to think this is overblown given the WhatsApp sourcing, but the reporter and website are very credible and I don't see why they would put this out there without having confidence in the story (or why anyone would try to bullshit them about this so convincingly). Can anyone here with any connection to the Italian medical system attest to the accuracy here?

They haven't gotten to the point of having to choose who's allowed to intensive care, afaik, that's been debunked by the hospital.
However, they did say that's what's going to happen if numbers keep increasing.
But then we probably don't get to know the whole thing.

Holy shit Luis Sepulveda in a coma because of it sounds like.
Tom Hanks and wife also tested positive.

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yikes. In your view, how does it differ this time? (I wasn't over here for SARS, so have no idea how society dealt with it).

It's tough being frontline in any capacity. I feel bad for the concierge at our office who has to stand close to each guest, take their temperature, pass them a pen, put a sticker on them. So many touch points and risks for an average guy doing his job.

the spread of SARS was much more contained and easier to detect. The temperature screening used in airports (which i did used to operate) can be quite accurate because SARS's symptoms were consistent with fever. With COVID-19's incubation period being so 'hidden' and seemingly less evident than SARS means that the temperature screening measures will not work as well.

COVID-19 being way less lethal than SARS in terms of fatality is actually both a bless and curse in disguise. Blessing obviously because the probability of fatality is lower (so far, Italy and Wuhan notwithstanding) but curse because due to the low fatality rate, it has a much much MUCH wider spread of infection that we are just encountering now.

I am from Singapore so i am not that worried as our healthcare system and government are pretty capable but i fear for my southeast asian neighbours. Malaysia, Indonesia, Philippines, Thailand, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam....i meant no disrespect to those countries but their heathcare and governance are not exactly known to be 'capable'.

Psamtik

Oct 27, 2017
As an independent arm of the Executive Branch, the USPS is largely insulated from Trump's incompetence, but it feels like we're going to need to take drastic action sooner or later. We're still out there every day, handling and delivering mail, doing a job that is both impossible to do from home and brings us into indirect contact with thousands of people.

I wear gloves and exercise an abundance of caution, sure, but it's not lost on me that I'm as exposed as anyone outside of the healthcare field, and that this risk is passed on to my customers.

fragamemnon

Nov 30, 2017
Facts I learned today: There are only one million hospital beds and only about 65,000 ventilators in the entire U.S. Health officials estimate as many as 70 million to 150 million Americans could be infected. Our healthcare system is going to be brought to its knees.

We need something makeshift that is easily mass produced but will probably last only a month or two. Maybe even made out of mostly off the shelf stuff with some 3D printing. If the FDA complains, so what. Just sitting around hoping more will somehow magically appear seems incredibly stupid.

Plasma

Oct 25, 2017
UK Government apparently holding a COBRA meeting this morning to discuss the roll-out of Phase 2. More mentions of shutting down big events and encouraging people to work from home rather than forced school closures.

www.theguardian.com

Coronavirus: UK action plan poised for 'social distancing' phase

Cobra meeting expected to rubber-stamp ‘delay’ measures, after eighth death
The sooner we start working from home the better, feels like this should have happened at least a week ago though.

nopressure

Oct 28, 2017
What a mess. I'm a UK doctor in London and I've got cold/flu symptoms now. 111 advice is useless. Can't get tested as I haven't knowingly been in contact with anyone that has coronavirus (despite being a doctor that uses the London Underground daily).

I would normally go to work as I'm not that sick, but given the circumstances, I'm just staying home for the week. No point being an extra potential vector to patients and families

It doesn't feel like the NHS has prepared at all for how it will support its staff through this crisis. Only advice I've received so far is to do as many of my patient contacts as possible through telephone.

UltraMagnus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What a mess. I'm a UK doctor in London and I've got cold/flu symptoms now. 111 advice is useless. Can't get tested as I haven't knowingly been in contact with anyone that has coronavirus (despite being a doctor that uses the London Underground daily).

I would normally go to work as I'm not that sick, but given the circumstances, I'm just staying home for the week. No point being an extra potential vector to patients and families

It doesn't feel like the NHS has prepared at all for how it will support its staff through this crisis. Only advice I've received so far is to do as many of my patient contacts as possible through telephone.

You're doing the right thing.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Jesus fucking Christ, a week or so ago there was talk about a school class in my city in Germany wanting to go to Italy for a class trip. Turns out, they didn't go to Italy, but still to Austria instead and of course one of the students got infected with the virus and now the 60 students, their teachers and relatives and friends are all under quarantine. I'd laugh about the fact that they're from the vocational college I went to years ago if it wouldn't scare the living shit out of me. This whole time I was hoping that our city wouldn't get any cases because my mum just recently recovered from lung cancer, has a chronic bronchitis & also rheumatic arthritis. On top of that she's also in her 60s so everything points to her being super high-risk. Fucking shit makes my anxiety flare up even worse than usual.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
More than 1000 cases in Madrid alone. Universities are closed so students go back to their homes outside Madrid, spreading the virus (already happened). But Madrid won't shut down..

We gonna be Italy starting next week.

Fleck0

Oct 25, 2017
I think I have to take a break from this thread. I don't think it's a trustworthy source of information overall tbh.

Naru

May 11, 2019
My father is almost 70. He lives in Spain and wants to come visit us here in Germany because his brother who lives here too has his birthday in April. I tried to convince him to stay there but he doesn't listen. He thinks he is healthy and fit enough that the virus will have no real affect on him. It seems he doesn't even care or think about infecting others. Even the fear of not being able to fly back because of travel restrictions if things get even more serious did scare him just a bit. That made him concerned for right about 5 seconds. He is just an idiot. I am surprised my uncle didn't tell him to stay there but he only watches MSM and they keep telling people that it's nothing to worry about. I hope they cancel all flights inside Europe to be honest but Germany has done pretty much nothing so far in terms of preventive measures, so I don't think this is going to happen any time soon. My friends are the same, no one cares. People have been brain washed to not question the narrative. Well, most have...

People here report that their cities are quiet but there is nothing of that here in Germany. There has been even more traffic over the last few days. I thought I was imagining it but checking TomTom traffic report confirmed that. It's up almost 10% over the average this week.

jelly

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Quite the snowball today.

I really hope my parents don't get it. Reading people in their 60s dying like that doctor is scary. My dad was a bit whatever about the whole thing last week, changed a little now so hopefully they take care, I've said a few times wash your hands, don't touch your face but they say we are fit, don't worry about it, however pneumonia doesn't mess about.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
From what I am reading, those who become inflected with coronavirus have a very solid chance of only showing mild symptoms, whereas, with the spanish flu, symptoms were much more unique and consistently severe.

If you had spanish flu, it was definitely bad news. Getting coronavirus is also bad news, however it seems to be a much more manageable by comparison, given that you're being responsible about your health and rest.

"Mild cases" are defined as "not needing artificial respiration"
80% of the corona cases are defined as mild. But there are still 40 to over 50% of corona patients in the hospital for weeks.

"Mild" in this case could mean anything from not feeling anything to having a case of acute pneumonia for weeks (without needing extra oxygen)

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
Jesus fucking Christ, a week or so ago there was talk about a school class in my city in Germany wanting to go to Italy for a class trip. Turns out, they didn't go to Italy, but still to Austria instead and of course one of the students got infected with the virus and now the 60 students, their teachers and relatives and friends are all under quarantine. I'd laugh about the fact that they're from the vocational college I went to years ago if it wouldn't scare the living shit out of me. This whole time I was hoping that our city wouldn't get any cases because my mum just recently recovered from lung cancer, has a chronic bronchitis & also rheumatic arthritis. On top of that she's also in her 60s so everything points to her being super high-risk. Fucking shit makes my anxiety flare up even worse than usual.

decisions like these are spreading the virus

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm seriously considering quitting my job over this.

I've got a few grand in savings (more than the vast majority of people my age) and have been looking for work elsewhere anyway. Fuck putting myself in the proverbial firing line for some shitty retail job.

Oct 25, 2017
They said at the press conference last night, when they chose to shut down all schools and send all non essential personal home for two weeks(with pay), that Denmark is currently experiencing the fastest increase (percentage wise) in Europe. We had more than a 10 fold increase from monday. From around 35 to 514, from monday to wednesday.

Most of the Cinemas also announced they are going to be shutting down from friday. (the rest are expected to do the same later today)

darkwing

Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 25, 2017
why is the Australian F1 GP still pushing through? 300,000 people in one area? lmao

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany

Yeah, there was legit talk about in the news that they were debating whether to go or not while things started to become more serious in Italy & everyone told them they'd be crazy to go so they went to Austria instead, should've stayed fucking home instead god. They're not the only ones in my state that went to Austria during the weekend & got infected either, there's a customs officer & children's doctor too - people you'd think would know better.

Naru

May 11, 2019
Ok personal opinion and I might be generalizing too much but at least where I live in Germany, no one cares. It's Merkel's policy of "the middle", it doesn't allow for drastic measures and is more concerned about keeping people calm and in line. I also think it has to do with the fact that Germany has 28k ICU beds, meaning we are pretty well equipped and the intention seems to be to let this virus blast through the population in a somewhat controlled fashion. In other words "we can handle it, just keep the economy as strong as possible". I don't want to politicize this though. < personal opinion ends right here >

why is the Australian F1 GP still pushing through? 300,000 people in one area? lmao
They'll cancel it one day before I tell you. Or they'll have it without spectators and it will probably be the only GP this year.

Yeah, there was legit talk about in the news that they were debating whether to go or not while things started to become more serious in Italy & everyone told them they'd be crazy to go so they went to Austria instead, should've stayed fucking home instead god. They're not the only ones in my state that went to Austria during the weekend & got infected either, there's a customs officer & children's doctor too - people you'd think would know better.
I know of one class here in my city that wanted to go to northern Italy too but canceled the trip completely. Everyone stayed here though.

Last edited:

John Doe

Avenger
Jan 24, 2018
Is China still on lock down?

What's going to happen when things go back to "normal?" Won't the virus spread exponentially then?

Oct 30, 2017
Just had to block a load of people on Facebook who were convinced this was a conspiracy to do... something... by the government. And they'd be ignoring all guidance.

This is in the UK.

I guess it's Darwinism at work. I just wish there was a way to tag them so when they need ICU treatment they're denied in favour of people who actually gave a fuck.

endlessflood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Australia (GMT+10)
Had a good laugh at this:

m.betootaadvocate.com

Gold Coast Hospital Staff Roll In A Wilson Volleyball To Keep Tom Hanks Company In Quarantine — The Betoota Advocate

WENDELL HUSSEY | Cadet | CONTACT After 20 years, the Cast Away sequel the world has been waiting for has finally arrived. Just like the first smash hit, the next Cast Away film will feature Tom Hanks stranded on a South Pacific Island – except this time, the island is Australia! The news breaks...

For those that don't know, The Betoota Advicate is a satirical site like The Onion. But they should definitely do this for real lol.

SaltedPork

Oct 27, 2017
UK
I'm supposed to be flying to Lanzerote on Saturday, there's no confirmed cases on the island but other islands in the canarys have it. Would be there for a week. Anyone else having the same dilema?

Goodlifr

Nov 6, 2017
Just had to block a load of people on Facebook who were convinced this was a conspiracy to do... something... by the government. And they'd be ignoring all guidance.

This is in the UK.

I guess it's Darwinism at work. I just wish there was a way to tag them so when they need ICU treatment they're denied in favour of people who actually gave a fuck.

My taxi driver this morning was convinced it's been around since Christmas (there was a shitty cold going round)

texhnolyze

Shinra Employee
Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
It's probably not comparable to Formula 1, but the organizer has confirmed the suspension of Formula E races for the next two months.

www.motorsport.com

Formula E set to suspend 2019/20 season for two months

Formula E will suspend its current racing season for the next two months due to the global health threat of the coronavirus crisis, Motorsport.com has learned.

Deleted member 9237

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The Oval Office address and NBA shutdown were bad enough, but I am now officially shit-scared after reading this report from ITV's award-winning Europe editor James Mates (so not some random blogger), who just returned from Italy:

'Healthcare on brink of collapsing': Doctors share stories from inside the Italy coronavirus quarantine

I want to think this is overblown given the WhatsApp sourcing, but the reporter and website are very credible and I don't see why they would put this out there without having confidence in the story (or why anyone would try to bullshit them about this so convincingly). Can anyone here with any connection to the Italian medical system attest to the accuracy here?
If you are still doubting all these first and second hand accounts you're in denial

shenden

Oct 27, 2017
So my gym, Sats one of the biggest in Sweden is shutting all their gyms throughout the Nordic countries for two weeks. This fuuucking sucks! And frankly I'm annoyed while I do understand the decision, I still want to be able to go to my goddamn gym.

Patsy

Jun 7, 2019
Germany
Things are slowly spreading in Bosnia too & very close to where most of my family lives. Everyone's worried sick as the government is doing the bare minimum as there's likely not many tests with how poor & corrupt the whole country is & their health care system is also a joke - at least where my family lives.

Ok personal opinion and I might be generalizing too much but at least where I live in Germany, no one cares. It's Merkel's policy of "the middle", it doesn't allow for drastic measures and is more concerned about keeping people calm and in line. I also think it has to do with the fact that Germany has 28k ICU beds, meaning we are pretty well equipped and the intention seems to be to let this virus blast through the population in a somewhat controlled fashion. In other words "we can handle it, just keep the economy as strong as possible". I don't want to politicize this though. < personal opinion ends right here >

People 100% don't fucking care here it's insane. Funnily enough toilet paper, flour & canned food has been sold out for weeks despite everyone acting like it's just the flu. My dad is actually debating whether or not to just stay home until the worst is over as he's in contact with people every day & he's scared about bringing the virus home & infecting my mum. But he's also the only one working right now as I quit my bartending job at the end of last month & we obviously need money. Wish people would care more about this than just buying up food & masks & shit. 80% of our ICU beds are also already in use so I'm not that sure about us being well-equipped either ngl, our local hospital has already been in shambles for years & reduced beds due to too little personal & they just don't give a shit about any of this.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017

Hope you get better soon. Just one question, with the people pushing for school closures, how would that affect your NHS colleagues who have kids? Would NHS lose staff that then need look after their kids?

RM8

Oct 28, 2017
JP
When I start to read about this I feel like I should be more worried, but then I go out and life seems more or less normal here in Tokyo. We all have to take the train to work, actually lots of people aren't wearing masks (because they're nowhere to be seen?), the city feels less crowded but still pretty freaking crowded and active. I'm being more careful, not touching any surfaces, washing my hands more often (I always did tbh) and walking away from people coughing/sneezing (people don't even try to cover their mouths, wtf) - but I honestly can't say I'm panicking.

Stacey

Banned
Feb 8, 2020
The UK stance on this is disgusting.

Do you have a fever? Yes.
Do you have a cough that lasts for more than minute at any given time? Yes.
Have you been in contact with anyone with the virus? Well, I'm not too sur....

You're fine, have a nice day.