• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
It was/is only matter of time before a variant defeats our vaccines completely, no?
That is absolutely not a conclusion that can be drawn at this point. There is very little actual data on this variant at the moment. Wait for data.

And ignore anything that comes from the Daily Mail of all places.

Keio

Nov 5, 2017
This is the first variant I've been worried about since the delta. Of course it's still early to gather all the data, but when top virologists are calling for a travel ban, I'd listen rather than have it spread to Europe.

Psychotext

Oct 30, 2017
I guess the biggest fear is that eventually we end up with something that can re-infect people that have had delta. That would be fucking disastrous.

Still, completely hypothetical, so nothing to be actively worried about right now.

Sabin

Oct 25, 2017
This is the first variant I've been worried about since the delta. Of course it's still early to gather all the data, but when top virologists are calling for a travel ban, I'd listen rather than have it spread to Europe.

Considering how dumb a considerable part of the european populations is better sooner than later.

DinkyDev

The Movie Critic
Feb 5, 2021
South Africa and 5 other African nations have just been put on the UK's travel red list from tomorrow.

Last edited:

Deleted member 46948

Account closed at user request
Banned
Aug 22, 2018
It was/is only matter of time before a variant defeats our vaccines completely, no?

No, the vaccines we have now are still highly effective against severe covid/death, and we also have effective treatment (new pills from Pfizer and Merck) that should be available more widely soon, and we understand the virus better literally every day.
It's just a matter of time before we win this, there's really no doubt about that. The only concern is how many (mostly unvaccinated) people will die before we do and how much economic damage will we inflict while having to contain it.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
USA needs to. I fear it's too late now that it's in Hong Kong. We will need to keep a close eye on this one but vaccines should still provide some protection. Increased antibody evasion doesn't mean complete evasion.
Realistically it's already in the U.S due to our lack of travel restrictions/protections and due to our terrible genomic sequencing we won't know for a while. We're probably a much bigger danger of it spreading then Hong Kong.

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Yeah lets be real here, limited travel bans don't do shit except delaying the inevitable, if you want it to work you need a complete ban on everyone from everywhere. You can ban people from traveling from these African nations all you want, it only means the virus will first have to spread to a country not on your travel ban list.

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
Yeah lets be real here, limited travel bans don't do shit except delaying the inevitable, if you want it to work you need a complete ban on everyone from everywhere. You can ban people from traveling from these African nations all you want, it only means the virus will first have to spread to a country not on your travel ban list.
True but sometimes slowing something down is enough to get a head start studying and developing on a new vaccine if necessary. Not saying that's needed here but it doesn't hurt as a temporary measure.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
Delaying is still extremely helpful, and its not always inevitable. Travel bans help, obviously they alone won't be the solution especially when this has already probably spread all over the world undetected but they are not useless.

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
This is like the thousandth variant that would defeat vaccines and conquer the world.
For real, some of you guys doomposting need to chill out. Case in point:
www.resetera.com

New COVID variants Epsilon, Lambda may be resistant to vaccines

Welp. https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2021/08/new-covid-variants-epsilon-lambda-may-be-resistant-to-vaccines-early-lab-studies-show.html And here's the fun part: Might want to hurry up with those booster shots.

www.resetera.com

Why Scientists Are Very Worried About The Variant From Brazil

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/01/27/961108577/why-scientists-are-very-worried-about-the-variant-from-brazil

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

Welp. https://www.nj.com/coronavirus/2021/08/new-covid-variants-epsilon-lambda-may-be-resistant-to-vaccines-early-lab-studies-show.html And here's the fun part: Might want to hurry up with those booster shots.

www.resetera.com

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2021/01/27/961108577/why-scientists-are-very-worried-about-the-variant-from-brazil
Now go back to when information just started coming out about Delta and people were told to chill out and relax and accused of "doom posting".

Easystride

Oct 27, 2017
Now go back to when information just started coming out about Delta and people were told to chill out and relax and accused of "doom posting".
Fair point! Still, I don't think it is good for people's mental health to worry so much with so little information considering the number of"variants of concern" that there have been. We all have enough to worry about.

SmokeMaxX

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Delta is only a huge problem right now because it's extremely effective at getting to unvaccinated and immunocompromised people due to how infectious it is. If everyone were vaccinated, numbers would look way different.

charmeleon

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, Delta is only a huge problem right now because it's extremely effective at getting to unvaccinated and immunocompromised people due to how infectious it is. If everyone were vaccinated, numbers would look way different.
Delta was also instrumental in the need for boosters. Obviously the numbers would be different if more people were vaccinated, but Delta would still be an issue. Delta also changed the herd immunity threshold from possible with vaccines to essentially impossible.

cyba89

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
www.resetera.com

www.resetera.com

I mean the Brazil P1 variant was legit concerning but it didn't take a hold worldwide because of how transmissable Delta is. This new one *potentially* has an advantage over Delta so there's a reason to keep an eye on and not let it spread worldwide instantly like we did with Alpha and Delta.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick"
Oct 27, 2017
really we should always err on the side of not being alarmist and then change our options when new data comes out. its not healthy to jump right to doom posting every time there is a new thing.

That's true. It's hard not to though. Media headlines about it felt almost alarmist and then news of the travel ban hits and it just all feels a bit overwhelming…but taking a step back you realize that there's little to no data on this so we're just putting ourselves in a bad headspace way before we even know anything

leder

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't these airborne viruses supposed to weaken over time?
No. Unfortunately bad journalists at major news outlets keep repeating this but I can't find any medical literature from the past century that supports it. I legitimately think it may have originated from a radiolab episode on the flu and then spread uncontrollably during the pandemic. Some better info here https://theconversation.com/amp/will-coronavirus-really-evolve-to-become-less-deadly-153817

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
No. Unfortunately bad journalists at major news outlets keep repeating this but I can't find any medical literature from the past century that supports it. I legitimately think it may have originated from a radiolab episode on the flu and then spread uncontrollably during the pandemic. Some better info here https://theconversation.com/amp/will-coronavirus-really-evolve-to-become-less-deadly-153817

Very interesting article... I've often wondered about the relative "intelligence" of a virus in terms of mutation. Some experts keep talking about them like they are "purposefully" mutating toward certain traits in order to infect more hosts, suggesting a certain mechanism of intelligence within their make-up, (which may indeed just be evolutionary survival instinct itself).

Either way, i have long mentally come to terms with the fact that a mutation with more vaccine evasive capabilities might pop up eventually, actually positively surprised it's taking this long. I suppose it's because it needs to simultaneously be more lethal AND more transmissible to outcompete Delta. We shall see whether this new variant meets those 2 criteria in real life. If it does indeed, then it will of course dominate events in the near and mid-term future, as expected. If it does not, well...it's ok, we've got enough on our plate just dancing around with Delta, it's fine, really!

BBboy20

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
There has been a nasty flu going around in northern California...this wouldn't be this, would it?

D23

Oct 25, 2017
Italy and austria close border to South Africa. Just saw it posted on bno newsroom twitter