• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

The BLJ

Feb 2, 2019
France
I can't wash my hands properly because I recently got surgery and my right hand is partially covered in bandages for some time. That's a problem. I also have started fasting, since Lent began yesterday. I hope this does not weaken my immune system significantly.

Oct 25, 2017
Got the first positive case in my state now. Nice.

abc11.com

Wake County man tests positive for novel coronavirus, traveled through RDU in late February

A representative for Raleigh-Durham International Airport said the patient traveled through the airport on February 22 and was not exhibiting symptoms at that time.
Wonder what this means for RDU. They mention in the article they flew on a plane from Washington, so I'm assuming they flew into RDU. I work for an NC government entity and there's been zero internal communication regarding coronavirus.

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
I can't wash my hands properly because I recently got surgery and my right hand is partially covered in bandages for some time. That's a problem. I also have started fasting, since Lent began yesterday. I hope this does not weaken my immune system significantly.
Fasting is actually strengthening the immune system, so on that front you should be fine.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Big conference I was going to next week got postponed:

www.qualtrics.com

X4 - The Experience Management Summit

Join us live in Salt Lake City as leaders from the world’s most iconic brands share the experiences delivering breakthrough business results.

This was in Salt Lake City, Utah.

Calamari41

Oct 25, 2017

KingSnake

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding the discussion on whether or not schools should be closed, because of the idea that children cannot pass on the virus

"A well 6-month-old infant with coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) had persistently positive nasopharyngeal swabs to day 16 of admission. This case highlights the difficulties in establishing the true incidence of COVID-19 as asymptomatic individuals can excrete the virus. These patients may play important roles in human-to-human transmission in the community."

And then WHO comes with their strange statement about the asymptomatic transmission vs. influenza to muddy the waters even more. I understand trying to not create panic, but creating confusion doesn't help either.

Especially when we have infected individuals popping up in certain areas with community transmission with a way too short incubation period after the initial cases shown some symptoms.

Lugia

Oct 27, 2017
Is the US hiding official numbers from the public?.

There was 2nd case is Maricopa county Arizona, but there isn't much info about it. They need to transparent with public. Hiding info won't do us any good:(

JayRB88

Dec 3, 2019
Regarding the increased fatality rate of those with preexisting conditions like Diabetes and hypertension I wonder if just having them increases the risk or if it is more likely the long term organ damage from those diseases increases the risk. Same with having long term conditions controlled with medication. I'm not sure there is enough info on this yet.

Retropug

Oct 25, 2017

There was 2nd case is Maricopa county Arizona, but there isn't much info about it. They need to transparent with public. Hiding info won't do us any good:(

I think it has to be confirmed by the Department of Health before they add to the list. Not completely sure if I'm right about that though.

g23

Oct 27, 2017
I've seen those. Can't post any in here as no official news outlets have discussed them (yet), but yes, some are gruesome. They will eventually make the rounds on the New York Times, I think. At least that's what happened with all the social media videos from China that were circulating around late January ~ early February.
OK, PM me the videos if they're not allowed. I don't want anyone getting into trouble.

edit: nvm I found video

Mind PM'ing me the link to these. I'm curious.

Oct 25, 2017
Costco in Lacey, Wa
i28i52k8sik41.jpg

Nabs

Oct 26, 2017
2nd case in New Hamphire, linked to the first (a health employee).

"Health officials said the first patient attended an invitation-only event Friday despite being told to self-isolate. The Department of Health and Human Services is contacting other people who were at the event."

Goodness gracious.

Wraith

Jun 28, 2018

Well, they removed the numbers for Coronavirus testing from the CDC website yesterday. As for infection numbers:
The CDC's website still lists the total number of confirmed cases in the US and the total number of "presumed positive" cases in the US. The latter are cases that have tested positive for the new coronavirus at public health labs across the country, but that haven't been confirmed by the CDC. The CDC's website now says "States are reporting presumptive positive cases independently; their case counts are the most up-to-date."
www.theverge.com

CDC drops coronavirus testing numbers from their website

Testing is expected to expand across the country this week

Oct 26, 2017
My work updated their stance, handling more aggressively. All work-related travel canceled/forbidden until further notice, and those returning from countries with Level 2 or above travel advisory according to the Canadian government are required to work from home for 14 days. Employees allowed to work remotely if feeling unwell or would feel more comfortable not in the office.

Sep 17, 2018
My friend told me there was no screening at London Gatwick and he's from Emilia Romagna, one of the most affected regions in Italy.

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk

'We flew back to Manchester from coronavirus-hit Italy - no questions asked'

"It seems like a sensible precaution to screen passengers."

Either the UK is incredibly lucky (51 confirmed cases out of 13,911 performed tests since January) or the virus is quietly spreading and hundreds of cases will start to pop up soon.

Look how easily it spreads

Combo

Banned
Jan 8, 2019
I am sure your religion allows you to skip fasting during virus season.

DrScruffleton

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe emerald city comic con is still going as planned. Companies have started to cancel now. Dark Horse comics just pulled out

Sep 17, 2018
UK confirmed cases (new)
Jan 31: 2
Feb 6: 3 (1)
Feb 9: 4 (1)
Feb 10: 8 (4)
Feb 12: 9 (1)
Feb 23: 13 (4)
Feb 27: 16 (3)
Feb 28: 20 (4)
Feb 29: 23 (3)
Mar 1: 36 (13)
Mar 2: 40 (4)
Mar 3: 51 (11)

mario_O

Nov 15, 2017

It's 3.4% as of today. It's not set in stone.
If you look at what the Chinese did: lower the CFR from 4% in Wuhan, to less than 1% in the rest of the country, there are reasons to be optimistic. We need good containment measures, so hospitals don't get overwhelmed. And we might be able to bring down that rate in the West. Lets hope it's not too late.

Jul 4, 2018
Second case in New Zealand, flew in from Italy via Singapore and then took a domestic return flight on the 2nd of March so going to be lots of chasing people down.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
My friend told me there was no screening at London Gatwick and he's from Emilia Romagna, one of the most affected regions in Italy.

www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk

'We flew back to Manchester from coronavirus-hit Italy - no questions asked'

"It seems like a sensible precaution to screen passengers."

Either the UK is incredibly lucky (51 confirmed cases out of 13,911 performed tests since January) or the virus is quietly spreading and hundreds of cases will start to pop up soon.

Look how easily it spreads

Yeah that's really scary, I just assumed people were being tested and screened when coming from strongly affected areas :(

Huey

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like a good thread to discuss this in, for those who are or are considering buying masks.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/world/coronavirus-china-southkorea-1.5483347

Important to remember that the WHO and CDC do not recommend routine use of masks in uninfected patients. Not because they don't want you to have them, but because they don't work. And the fallout is going to be shortages for people where they are of benefit, like healthcare workers.

Last edited:

studyguy

Oct 26, 2017
Just an aside, US is currently having a daily briefing on the virus.
They refused audio, they refused video.

Meanwhile outside: