• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
After the rest of the marketing tried so hard to hide the bottom row of characters, Nintendo Minute just go and ruin it today, smh

unknown.png

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Weird question probably, but if there's a Nintendo Direct early September, why not show the Metroid Dread trailer 2 there? Will there be a third?
Supposing that there IS a September Direct, the decision not to include this trailer within it could be justified with the intent of not having the trailer compete for attention with new announcements.

All eyes on Metroid and its cool exciting shit, basically.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
hasn't it been announced for a while that the game has 18 characters? This doesn't really reveal anything new
It was never officially announced (but like I said, the official site ended up giving them away anyway); they made it a point to only show the first 13 in marketing. The overview trailer went as far as hiding the final five slots, even.

l9XwhW4.png

Even in the Nintendo Minute video they're using a save that has nobody past 5-Volt unlocked, despite the additional slots now being there.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017
People who say there shouldn't be any accessibility options for people who want to get into FROM games are clowns imo. The ones that say "get gud" are especially annoying.

Like in what way would having an easy mode change the essence of the games if there is still the normal difficulty that FROM games have. There's nothing wrong in having sliders to tone down certain things. Like I really don't get it and this is coming from someone that loves playing games on hard mode.

This gatekeeping that is in the FROM community is incredibly annoying. For example, I'm glad SMT Nocturne got an easy mode to make it more accessible for people so why can't FROM games have one?

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018
I've played 15 minutes of NMH3 and it's already my GOTY. Chances are Dread and maybe SMTV will dethrone it, though. I can't believe MH Rise might not even make it to top 3, but 2021 is just that good.

And my copy of TGAA is still in the mail

Alright guys we have too many names for the Chozo antagonist so I made a poll so we can resolve this entirely useless argument that'll be resolved anyways once Nintendo gives us an actual name

Ruffled Feathers

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
People who say there shouldn't be any accessibility options for people who want to get into FROM games are clowns imo. The ones that say "get gud" are especially annoying.

Like in what way would having an easy mode change the essence of the games if there is still the normal difficulty that FROM games have. There's nothing wrong in having sliders to tone down certain things. Like I really don't get it and this is coming from someone that loves playing games on hard mode.

This gatekeeping in FROM community is incredibly annoying. For example, I'm glad SMT Nocturne got an easy mode to make it more accessible for people so why can't FROM games have one?
Axiom Verge 2 absolutely crushed it on the accessibility (difficulty wise), manually changing damage received and dealt would be the perfect implementation in FROM games

totofogo

Oct 29, 2017
Chicago
It was never officially announced (but like I said, the official site ended up giving them away anyway); they made it a point to only show the first 13 in marketing. The overview trailer went as far as hiding the final five slots, even.

l9XwhW4.png

Even in the Nintendo Minute video they're using a save that has nobody past 5-Volt unlocked, despite the additional slots now being there.
Ahh I remember where I learned it, the latest round of press:

(Warning, GameExplain)

Suswave

Aug 11, 2020
Yeah, fair enough haha
That is my answer too.
Also I'm sure I don't need to say this, but Suswave makes this place much better
🥺

it warms my heart so much that y'all enjoy my shitposting antics and think they make the thread a better place!

I'm always worried about overdoing it, being annoying, or making people feel bad – shitposting can be the razor's edge and I never want to use that power for bad vibes™

thank you, gang, knowing that I'm bringing at least a few smiles made my fucking day

bring it in for the
🌈 g r o u p h u g ~.+.~ a b y s s 🌈​

Aug 15, 2020
Surprised it's so low in handheld and so (relatively) high in docked. Wonder what's going on there.
Aren't these resolutions comparable to Doom Eternal? Except that's a solid 30fps all the way through. I've been playing it in handheld mode and it's ok, by no means unplayable. I think people viewing those analysis videos on their monitors get a worse impression. I might also have lower standards.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019

This gatekeeping that is in the FROM community is incredibly annoying. For example, I'm glad SMT Nocturne got an easy mode to make it more accessible for people so why can't FROM games have one?
There is no reason, they just want to feel superior and gatekeep as you said. And this is coming from a HUGE From fan. For me, personally, "getting gud" and learning to beat Sekiro was an amazing and rewarding experience, but it's not going to be that way for everyone. And everyone deserves to be able to play games at various difficulties and with various levels of accessibity. There's no reason why From games couldn't have the "usual" difficulty as the baseline, and just add in a lower difficulty option, or more. It would only let more people get into the games that otherwise wouldn't, or even couldn't.
Axiom Verge 2 absolutely crushed it on the accessibility (difficulty wise), manually changing damage received and dealt would be the perfect implementation in FROM games
This is another good option. Plus there are already PC mods that do exactly stuff like this, so why not just make it an available option in-game? It's just better for everyone, and hurts nobody.

Deleted member 9584

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I remember people gave me shit when I said it was obvious Bravely Default 2 was built for more powerful hardware and downported to Switch.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
🥺

it warms my heart so much that y'all enjoy my shitposting antics and think they make the thread a better place!

I'm always worried about overdoing it, being annoying, or making people feel bad – shitposting can be the razor's edge and I never want to use that power for bad vibes™

thank you, gang, knowing that I'm bringing at least a few smiles made my fucking day

bring it in for the

🫂

OP
OP
hologram

hologram

Jun 30, 2020
🥺

bring it in for the

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
🥺

bring it in for the
Group hug abyssss yay!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I remember people gave me shit when I said it was obvious Bravely Default 2 was built for more powerful hardware and downported to Switch.

Why would that be the case, even with the existence of a PC version?

There's nothing even to indicate that. It's not like it's the first game made for a console to have frame rate hiccups.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Aren't these resolutions comparable to Doom Eternal? Except that's a solid 30fps all the way through. I've been playing it in handheld mode and it's ok, by no means unplayable. I think people viewing those analysis videos on their monitors get a worse impression. I might also have lower standards.
IIRC Doom Eternal is 540p on handheld with some drops to 400p levels during busy moments. NMH3 is literally lowest resolution I've ever experience on handheld mode. But I suppose it's because of lack of optimization. There has to be a patch to improve it a little.

undefined

Jan 3, 2021
I've seen some reviews saying the older games are better, and while I didn't play them yet I just want to fight the psycho ET honestly 😬 I'll probably finish Minute of Islands and then pick NMH3

There's nothing wrong in having sliders to tone down certain things
Yep the more options the better
It also works the other way around like when people dislike the low difficulty on Pokémon
I've seen people mentioning artistic vision or something, but developers could just make a default/recommended setting while also leaving customization options

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Why would that be the case, even with the existence of a PC version?

There's nothing even to indicate that. It's not like it's the first game made for a console to have frame rate hiccups.
The performance was shaky and the game looked grimy as hell. It was always trying to punch above it's weight. Loved the game on Switch, but when I played it the game definitely felt compromised from what it seemed it was intended to be. Same deal with No More Heroes 3, in my opinion.

SammyJ9

Dec 22, 2019
I've seen some reviews saying the older games are better, and while I didn't play them yet I just want to fight the psycho ET honestly 😬 I'll probably finish Minute of Islands and then pick NMH3

Yep the more options the better
It also works the other way around like when people dislike the low difficulty on Pokémon
I've seen people mentioning artistic vision or something, but developers could just make a default/recommended setting while also leaving customization options
Yeah that's a good point too. There's basically no reason we can't have lower difficulties in FROM games as well as higher difficulties in Pokemon games. More options all around!

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The performance was shaky and the game looked grimy as hell. It was always trying to punch above it's weight. Loved the game on Switch, but when I played it the game definitely felt compromised from what it seemed it was intended to be. Same deal with No More Heroes 3, in my opinion.

I don't think BD2's resolution was really any different that Octopath's... and well would you suggest Xenoblade 2 was developed for more powerful hardware and ported down? Or Yoshi's Crafted World?

Aug 15, 2020
IIRC Doom Eternal is 540p on handheld with some drops to 400p levels during busy moments. NMH3 is literally lowest resolution I've ever experience on handheld mode. But I suppose it's because of lack of optimization. There has to be a patch to improve it a little.
I misread the Eurogamer article, it says Doom Eternal goes as low as 360p, not that it was 360p. But yeah, I wouldn't object to any improvement patches. I think TSA was 720/540 for docked/handheld and pretty consistent on framerate. I know III is a bit more ambitious, but they managed to retain comparable performance for docked.

AquaWateria

Oct 25, 2017

Those two games are due to a lack of optimization especially NMH 3.

We saw how much changed in a month due to optimizing. I remember seeing the open world for the first time and the framerate would go so damn low. Now it looks far more consistent.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't think BD2's resolution was really any different that Octopath's... and well would you suggest Xenoblade 2 was developed for more powerful hardware and ported down? Or Yoshi's Crafted World?
Let's not compare first party developed games to third party games from a publisher that has already done timed exclusives on Switch and later ported them elsewhere.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Let's not compare first party developed games to third party games from a publisher that has already done timed exclusives on Switch and later ported them elsewhere.

The comparison is made because even game's tailor made for Switch sometimes target similar metrics so you can't assume that they were secretly building to another spec and porting down, especially when the Switch is the primary platform for the titles.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think it's controversial to say that the assets Grasshopper make for their games overshoot what the Switch should be doing. Travis Strikes Again, despite having a very drawn out perspective, actually carried a lot of high fidelity assets. The game looked like this

Yet the actual lossless character models would look like this

And the fidelity of those models was largely carried over into 3, you can even tell in some of the clearly PC build shots that are on the official website. This is what the game was seemingly designed to look like from the onset.

It's a shame that the Switch can't carry that fidelity. I think Grasshopper could certainly push out another patch or two to improve NMH3's performance on Switch but I'm not sure how much more they're gonna get out of it. They clearly put more emphasis to get the docked experience look decent, and it does moderately on that front for an engine that has a lot of memory bandwidth challenges. I was actually surprised how the final experience ended up pretty fluid in combat, it couldn't have been easy to prioritize high frame rate when the action gets so visually hectic in the game.

Aug 15, 2020
I kind of think the opposite. Obviously a lot of the assets in the promotional trailers were for more powerful systems, but some of the design changes suggest to me it really was designed with the Switch in mind. Not just stuff like the motion controls, but moving from linear levels to self contained single room arenas for the designated matches or the shoot'em up segments that are in sparse space environments are probably to help the game run at higher framerates. It's a little disappointing because we ended up with a game that doesn't perform very well on the intended platform and even when there's a port to higher end systems, it'll still have some of the odd design decisions even if it's better from a technical perspective.

Status
Not open for further replies.