• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, we haven't had a new single player 2D Zelda since 2013, a new 2D DK since 2013, or a new 'traditional' or 'mainline' 2D Mario since 2012.

Reason to believe that'll change for Mario and DK in the next year or two, but I'm not sure about Zelda.
despite Oracle remakes being pretty good for me, some of the only Zelda's I never got around to finishing, I REALLY wanna see the next step for 2D Zelda

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I have a feeling we will get a new 2D Zelda before Oracle remakes. I'm guessing 2024?

wookiee

Jul 14, 2020
I bought Skyward Sword HD, and opened the box, next step is to put the cart in my Nintendo Switch when I finish Psychonauts 2.

Also, it's been a long time since I posted a link to the NintendoEra discord, so here is one (Quote to See) [Hidden content]
Yo. I have to remember to chat with you about Skyward.. let me know when you try it. I was super surprised about how much I'm loving that game.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017
I think the only aspect of Metroid Dread that isn't a 11/10 for me is the cover. Man, it's kinda ugly, which is a bit surprising given how incredible the Switch covers have been.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't Discord.

Or maybe I do. Maybe I just lurk.

Or maybe I post under another username. Maybe I actually Discord a lot. A whole lot.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
despite Oracle remakes being pretty good for me, some of the only Zelda's I never got around to finishing, I REALLY wanna see the next step for 2D Zelda

I have a feeling we will get a new 2D Zelda before Oracle remakes. I'm guessing 2024?
The issue with Zelda is where the development resources come from. Grezzo may well have moved on to a non-Zelda project again after Miitopia, given when they previously hired for Zelda projects, their hiring calls outright reflected that and their last hiring call was for a non-descript fantasy game. Secondly, the senior design group for 2D Zelda have cropped up on different games over the last few years, from what I could parse in the Nintendo development thread, which potentially indicates they haven't been working together on a new 2D Zelda game.

Earlier this year I was crazy optimistic about 2D Zelda emerging from somewhere. Now I'm really not so sure. In 2017 Aonuma wanted to keep the 2D/portable Zelda team independent of open world Zelda and he wanted them to similarly reimagine what the series could be, but it's been 4 years and nothing has come of that.

So who knows?

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I forgot that it even exists lol.
it's fun

three months ago I would've told you it's way better than the thread but I've been on leave from it for months now and while I was gone the thread got much funnier

There's probably a tree or two in the background but it's not the focus.

e2f.png

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
The issue with Zelda is where the development resources come from. Grezzo may well have moved on to a non-Zelda project again after Miitopia, given when they previously hired for Zelda projects, their hiring calls outright reflected that and their last hiring call was for a non-descript fantasy game. Secondly, the senior design group for 2D Zelda have cropped up on different games over the last few years, from what I could parse in the Nintendo development thread, which potentially indicates they haven't been working together on a new 2D Zelda game.

Earlier this year I was crazy optimistic about 2D Zelda emerging from somewhere. Now I'm really not so sure. In 2017 Aonuma wanted to keep the 2D/portable Zelda team independent of open world Zelda and he wanted them to similarly reimagine what the series could be, but it's been 4 years and nothing has come of that.

So who knows?
There's definitely some sort of 2D Zelda project in the works, whether a remake or a new game. They're not going to stop after how well Link's Awakening sold.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
they're gonna harness the power of the

s h i t b i r d ~.+.~ a b y s s

look I fucking hate the extremely problematic and sexist plot spaghetti fuckup that is Doctor Who but this has big "oh man RIP the timelords, so sad to be the last of my species, OH THEY'RE COMING BACK? JK FUCK NO THEY'RE ACTUALLY SUPER GENOCIDAL and them being CANCELLED FROM TIME WAS THE BEST POSSIBLE OUTCOME" energy
I get the impression that the genocidal sect is a small but unfortunately more prevalent as of late part of the Chozo race... which is a weak distinction to make but good golly I hope they don't go full Who sh*tty

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Well I just watched the No More Heroes 3 launch trailer and now I regret needing to wait for my special edition from Pix n Love.

Played the first hour or so of Ys IX, though, and WarioWare and Metroid Dread are fast approaching, so it's exciting times all around.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I really want Grezzo to handle non-2D Zelda stuff. 2D Zelda just isn't as important as KOICHI FUCKING ISHII doing all kinds of other projects, especially when his skillset is worldbuilding.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
I get the impression that the genocidal sect is a small but unfortunately more prevalent as of late part of the Chozo race... which is a weak distinction to make but good golly I hope they don't go full Who sh*tty
My assumption is the genocidal Chozo wiped out the Friendly Samus-Raising Chozo, as well as maybe the Tallon IV Hippy Chozo, who might get referenced in this game as proof that Metroid Metroid and Metroid Prime both do get along.

Also when Samus learns Violence Bird murdered Mom and Pops Bird, she'll turn directly to the camera and say: "this time it's personal" *heavy guitar riff*

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
I really want Grezzo to handle non-2D Zelda stuff. 2D Zelda just isn't as important as KOICHI FUCKING ISHII doing all kinds of other projects, especially when his skillset is worldbuilding.
Ishii is working on the new Mana in some capacity so he may be busy. But yeah I'd like Grezzo to work on something new.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
My assumption is the genocidal Chozo wiped out the Friendly Samus-Raising Chozo, as well as maybe the Tallon IV Hippy Chozo, who might get referenced in this game as proof that Metroid Metroid and Metroid Prime both do get along.

Also when Samus learns Violence Bird murdered Mom and Pops Bird, she'll turn directly to the camera and say: "this time it's personal" *heavy guitar riff*
We'll also find out that Bad Bird murdered The Baby as well for maximum personal investment

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, Grezzo needs to focus on making Ever Oasis a full fledged franchise. 3DS one was really good, it was like a cutesy Ys. Cannot wait to see what they'd do when they're not limited by 3DS hardware.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
Alright guys we have too many names for the Chozo antagonist so I made a poll so we can resolve this entirely useless argument that'll be resolved anyways once Nintendo gives us an actual name

Aug 25, 2019
Weird question probably, but if there's a Nintendo Direct early September, why not show the Metroid Dread trailer 2 there? Will there be a third?

Status
Not open for further replies.