• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
We are a month and some days from Metroid Dread release, and there is a chance we get a Direct this/next week?

oprah-inhale.gif

Which reminds me we should be getting Dread's previews pretty soon. I'd say sometime in the next two weeks.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Crazy that 3 months ago, we didn't know of Metroid Dread and now it is releasing in 1 month.

On the other hand, crazy that we've known about BotW2 and it'll take at least another year to come out 😭
Out of these two approaches, I almost certainly prefer the latter - 4 to 12 months is a good timeframe as far as I'm concerned. But it is the case this year Nintendo's software has had smaller release to reveal windows than it usually does. Most often it's been 3 to 5 months from reveal to release, with a few exceptions (mainly the Pokemon titles).

YolkFolk

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The North, England
On the other hand, crazy that we've known about BotW2 and it'll take at least another year to come out 😭

It'll end up being the longest period between announcement and release ever for a Zelda game. I remember thinking the wait from E3 2004 to Christmas 2006 was a huge wait for Twilight Princess.

Makes me wonder if the ambitions of BotW2 changed throughout development. Originally it was presumed it wouldn't take long to come out due to the main systems already being in place and talk of the same map being re-used to a certain degree.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Which reminds me we should be getting Dread's previews pretty soon. I'd say sometime in the next two weeks.
Here's what I posted 2 weeks ago (we are currently in W36)
The marketing machine for Dread is in full force. The game launches in 1.5 month, exepct something like this :

W33 : Teaser
W34 : Trailer
W35 : Nothing
W36 : Metroid Dread Trailer during the Direct
W37 : Nothing
W38 : Previews
W39 : Hype trailer
W40 : Reviews and launch.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
Since we're talking Metroid again and I don't wanna make a thread just because I suck at Super Metroid:
Any tips/tricks at fighting Ridley? I am already annoyed that I have to walk to their chamber for a few minutes (and defeat some really annoying enemies on the go) before I can get another shot at them but I can't seem to escape any of their attacks, its just random, hurts alot and I never get the feeling I have this fight under control. I now maybe died 10 times to them and its getting really frustrating.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Since we're talking Metroid again and I don't wanna make a thread just because I suck at Super Metroid:
Any tips/tricks at fighting Ridley? I am already annoyed that I have to walk to their chamber for a few minutes (and defeat some really annoying enemies on the go) before I can get another shot at them but I can't seem to escape any of their attacks, its just random, hurts alot and I never get the feeling I have this fight under control. I now maybe died 10 times to them and its getting really frustrating.

My personal experience is that you need to tank a lot of the fight so maybe you need to explore more other areas to try and find health upgrades.

Otherwise I'd recommend using the handy save state feature on the NSO app so you can at least reload right at the beginning of the fight rather than having to do the same walk everytime (assuming you're playing on Switch).

Also obviously stock up on missiles and super missiles so you can spam that shit during the fight.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Is there any reason to believe this is the week?
It's pretty much always been the 13th or before in recent history.

Also, it seems like a lot of places got word of the Game Boy NSO stuff on Friday, given how even places like GameInformer that don't normally do "leaks" corroborated it. I think it might have already been released to the press under embargo.

Leo

Oct 27, 2017

It's pretty hard to avoid his attacks, so I just go all out and try to cause as much damage as I can before he kills me. Usually I can do that just fine with the amount of extra health tanks I have at that point.

Sonix

Prophet of Regret
Aug 3, 2020
My personal experience is that you need to tank a lot of the fight so maybe you need to explore more other areas to try and find health upgrades.

Otherwise I'd recommend using the handy save state feature on the NSO app so you can at least reload right at the beginning of the fight rather than having to do the same walk everytime (assuming you're playing on Switch).

Also obviously stock up on missiles and super missiles so you can spam that shit during the fight.

It's pretty hard to avoid his attacks, so I just go all out and try to cause as much damage as I can before he kills me. Usually I can do that just fine with the amount of extra health tanks I have at that point.

Thanks, sounds like I just might have to make a (big) detour to find a few more energy tanks then. I think I'm at around 6 tanks, 75 missiles and 25 super missiles. Got Ridley "red" a few times but don't know how far away I was from killing them.
And no, Save States are not an option, I play on a SuperNT. Technically there might be save states possible with custom firmware but I'm just trying to go the nostalgic route :)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo just shot themselves in the foot.

I don't know how much the rest of you know about dust (I'm an expert), but money and tables are huge parts of it.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Thanks, sounds like I just might have to make a (big) detour to find a few more energy tanks then. I think I'm at around 6 tanks, 75 missiles and 25 super missiles. Got Ridley "red" a few times but don't know how far away I was from killing them.
And no, Save States are not an option, I play on a SuperNT. Technically there might be save states possible with custom firmware but I'm just trying to go the nostalgic route :)

I'm sure there's ways to fight Ridley more safe / with attack evasion, i've always thought that this fight was designed as a battle of damage output. Rather take a hit if you get two or three more super missles at him instead of playing it safe.

It also feels "right", given the backstory of Samus and Ridley.

Deleted member 11008

User requested account closure
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Yep. We're in the usual timeframe for a September Direct. There are likely third-party titles to be announced for later this year, updates on the Nintendo front to be made, and some 2022 news to share.

Nice, I forgot we usually have a Direct around this month.

Personally I wouldn't like know more info from Dread, but if Nintendo include Metroid Fusion as a unlockable I would go bananas.

indospot

Jan 13, 2021

Oof if that's that hard, I'm scared of getting to the end now. Hopefully I'm not as bad as I think I am.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
The Japanese respondents to his polls were more likely to consider Switch a home console, but developers tell him that they need to make use of the power of PS/XB/PC to succeed outside of Japan.
I know I'm sort of preaching to the choir here but I don't understand this logic at all.

Some of the most popular games on PS/XB/PC are games like Fortnite, Minecraft, and NBA 2K. There are very few AAAA titles that "make use of the power of PS/XB/PC" that end up on top and it's really hard to break into that space if you're not already a CoD/Battlefield/Assassin's Creed/Elder Scrolls. Square Enix had the Avengers license, arguably the biggest IP in anything right now, and they couldn't do it. And going for that is a hugely expensive gamble.

Meanwhile, the Switch is hugely popular globally.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Well, I mean, everyone does know that it was a niche unremarkable franchise before MHW 🙄

More like Monster Who?-nter
I know I'm sort of preaching to the choir here but I don't understand this logic at all.

Some of the most popular games on PS/XB/PC are games like Fortnite, Minecraft, and NBA 2K. There are very few AAAA titles that "make use of the power of PS/XB/PC" that end up on top and it's really hard to break into that space if you're not already a CoD/Battlefield/Assassin's Creed/Elder Scrolls. Square Enix had the Avengers license, arguably the biggest IP in anything right now, and they couldn't do it. And going for that is a hugely expensive gamble.

Yup, not to mention GTAV being a literal PS3/360 game.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019

You also don't need that much power to make ambitious, accomplished games which find huge audiences. One of Switch's defining and best-selling games is Breath of the Wild. Another is Mario Odyssey. Monster Hunter Rise has already been highlighted here. The goddamn Witcher 3 runs on the thing. If you optimise for the system, you can achieve a lot.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I take it WarioWare's embargo is expected to go up two days ahead of release like most Nintendo games?

I'll probably get it day one since the demo was fantastic and its not even going for full retail here but I'm interested to know how extensive of a game it is.

Deleted member 10121

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 9, 2021
It seems as though we must use sometimes the one theory and sometimes the other, while at times we may use either. We are faced with a new kind of difficulty. We have two contradictory pictures of reality; separately neither of them fully explains the phenomena of the Switch, but together they do.

Albert Einstein, on whether the Switch is a console or a handheld.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
The Japanese respondents to his polls were more likely to consider Switch a home console, but developers tell him that they need to make use of the power of PS/XB/PC to succeed outside of Japan.
Ha! Proves my point. I've always said that Japanese devs are delusional about Switch's userbase. They fail to identify them and that's the main reason they don't know what to do with it. "Support home consoles for overseas success"? One of them has small install base and other is the ultimate mainstream platform, you'd drown in a library full of Call of Dutys and FIFAs. Literally any Japanese game has better chance of survival on Switch and Sakura Wars failure was a evidence of it.

One reason for the failure to know audience better is that they have no idea about Europe. It's as much Nintendo land as Japan and it's constantly growing. There's a reason why the big or small European studios are so eager to bring their games to it, no matter what the costs are. Japanese devs just simply ignore the fact.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
It's a perverse sort of cruelty, to hear that a Xenoblade Chronicles 3 exists and is expected to be revealed "soon," but to not know when a Direct may be this month, or whether XC3 will feature in it 😥

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Posted Mochizuki's follow up tweets in the MC thread:
www.resetera.com

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2021 (Aug 23 - Aug 29) Sales

This game deserves so much more.
www.resetera.com

Media Create Sales: Week 34, 2021 (Aug 23 - Aug 29) Sales

This game deserves so much more.

They must explain to WB that Mortal Kombat is impossible to be successful in the West because it has a Switch version.

Status
Not open for further replies.