• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

What announcement would be the most exciting to you in a September Direct?

• NSO Expansion

Votes: 257 19.0%
  • Donkey Kong

Votes: 338 25.0%
  • GTA Collection

Votes: 74 5.5%
  • Kirby

Votes: 62 4.6%
  • Final Smash Character

Votes: 95 7.0%
  • Xenoblade Chronicles

Votes: 441 32.6%
  • Other (please specify in comments)

Votes: 85 6.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Ooo, I didn't look at Mochi's Japanese tweets. Context for the Switch poll:

Maybe the same dumb arguments that happen on Era about the Japanese market happen with developers. They're concerned about the home console market disappearing in Japan but Switch doesn't count because it's a portable.

The thought that actual devs / professionals in the market have this mindset:

slap-the-head-oh-no.gif

Like ... Nintendo even GIVES you free market research where they show you that portable / docked is basically 50/50.

Dolce

Oct 25, 2017
I became disappointed so fast learning they were talking about Cruis'n. Which is fine....

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The thought that actual devs / professionals in the market have this mindset:

slap-the-head-oh-no.gif

Like ... Nintendo even GIVES you free market research where they show you that portable / docked is basically 50/50.

One of the biggest fallacies that often gets repeated on here is that publishers are 100% data driven and make objective, logical decisions. The reality is that they are run by people, with biases.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
One of the biggest fallacies that often gets repeated on here is that publishers are 100% data driven and make objective, logical decisions. The reality is that they are run by people, with biases.
Yeah it's become increasingly apparent that a number of Japanese developers either aren't interested in, or aren't capable of, removing the blinkers. Yes, there are compromises involved in operating on Switch, but it's offering the Japanese industry a best-of-both-worlds scenario that's about as good as they're going to get: highly popular domestically, highly popular internationally, a strong software market, a reasonably modern development environment, portable and home console playing profiles.

It would be foolish to say there aren't compromises, but the compromise system has an install base of 90 million and is tracking to be one of the top 3 selling systems of all time.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017

I feel they can be very data-driven, but it's only one particular company name where they start getting personal. ;D

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

giphy.gif

Yeah it's become increasingly apparent that a number of Japanese developers either aren't interested in, or aren't capable of, removing the blinkers. Yes, there are compromises involved in operating on Switch, but it's offering the Japanese industry a best-of-both-worlds scenario that's about as good as they're going to get: highly popular domestically, highly popular internationally, a strong software market, a reasonably modern development environment, portable and home console playing profiles.

It would be foolish to say there aren't compromises, but the compromise system has an install base of 90 million and is tracking to be one of the top 3 selling systems of all time.

Also a first party publisher who has a vested interest in the success of the type of games they are making, and an unparalleled ability to achieve that success.
I feel they can be very data-driven, but it's only one particular company name where they start getting personal. ;D

The CC2 thing cracks me up, where we had the CEO come out and say it straight and you still had posters on here running inteference.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Yup. It's clear that there are still some devs who have internalized the idea that console games are the "real" big boy games and handheld games are something for the B team, the minor leagues, and it's hard for them to want to "demote themselves" by switching to Switch, even if by all accounts it's the most logical thing to do.

The world of business is full of dead companies that didn't realize their market was evaporating until it was too late, even though that was obvious to even casual outside observers. A lot of businesses aren't really equipped for change.

Imitatio

Feb 19, 2018
Yeah, I meant to me personally. In the grand scheme of things, i.e. in terms of market reality, it's obviously both home and handheld console, no doubt about that. Given I primarily (90+%) play the Switch undocked, it's a handheld with TV output in my case specifically.
Also from a technology standpoint, at least when we're going by what it meant to use x86 or ARM hardware for these past few years. Things are obviously changing, though, so making that distinction will become increasingly less clear.

carlosfilho

Feb 3, 2021
I remember when someone from a third-party company (i don't remember exactly who it was) tweeted something in the lines of "third-party games don't sell well on Nintendo consoles" and kept repeating it after numerous replies showing otherwise, especially on the Switch. Bias definitely speaks louder than reason lots of times.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The unwillingness (or inability) of some Japanese developers to make games that appeal to their home market is pretty weird to me. Aiming for this nebulous concept of "the West" is extremely shortsighted and also a rather unnecessary self-imposed limitation. As has been said before, they have the perfect role-model in a company like Nintendo who is successful both in Japan as well as worldwide. They just have to want to learn.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
The unwillingness (or inability) of some Japanese developers to make games that appeal to their home market is pretty weird to me. Aiming for this nebulous concept of "the West" is extremely shortsighted and also a rather unnecessary self-imposed limitation. As has been said before, they have the perfect role-model in a company like Nintendo who is successful both in Japan as well as worldwide. They just have to want to learn.

They even have good examples outside of Nintendo games.

But ... you know ... that would mean being data-aware and data-driven. ;]

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Oh no, I've fallen back into the Diablo 3 rabbit hole, send help.

www.resetera.com

California sues Activision/Blizzard for employment discrimination because of sex, retaliation, discrimination & harassment, unequal pay News - Activision/Blizzard

https://news.bloomberglaw.com/daily-labor-report/activision-blizzard-sued-by-california-over-frat-boy-culture Its pretty bad, rampant sexual harassments apparently. WoW specifically.

But here, i'll give you an alternative:

www.pathofexile.com

Path of Exile

Path of Exile is a free online-only action RPG under development by Grinding Gear Games in New Zealand.

:D

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lmao jon

It's fun to think about though: Is a licensed game still a "first party game"? Is Mario + Rabbids? Are Streets of Rage 4 and the Panzer Dragoon remake still "Sega games"? etc.
Nintendo considers licensed games third party games. I guess Sega does as well since they have no financial investment aside from licensing costs

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yup. It's clear that there are still some devs who have internalized the idea that console games are the "real" big boy games and handheld games are something for the B team, the minor leagues, and it's hard for them to want to "demote themselves" by switching to Switch, even if by all accounts it's the most logical thing to do.

The world of business is full of dead companies that didn't realize their market was evaporating until it was too late, even though that was obvious to even casual outside observers. A lot of businesses aren't really equipped for change.

Yes, there's definitely an element of that. We saw that directly when Nagoshi said Sakura Wars was for people who "graduated" away from handhelds.

Yeah, I meant to me personally. In the grand scheme of things, i.e. in terms of market reality, it's obviously both home and handheld console, no doubt about that. Given I primarily (90+%) play the Switch undocked, it's a handheld with TV output in my case specifically.
Also from a technology standpoint, at least when we're going by what it meant to use x86 or ARM hardware for these past few years. Things are obviously changing, though, so making that distinction will become increasingly less clear.

Haha it's all good.

Nintendo is just completely ignored in those conversations. There was a talk at CEDEC by a French developer which talked about how Japanese games have become less relevant over the last decade - and used Ghosts of Tsushima and Genshin Impact as examples of last year showing Japan's fading relevance which completely ignores one giant elephant in the room when you talk about 2020 games.

Deleted member 32106

Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Nintendo is just completely ignored in those conversations. There was a talk at CEDEC by a French developer which talked about how Japanese games have become less relevant over the last decade - and used Ghosts of Tsushima and Genshin Impact as examples of last year showing Japan's fading relevance which completely ignores one giant elephant in the room when you talk about 2020 games.
Nintendo was treated like its own thing. Even Harada dismissed their success as "well that's Nintendo" for some reason. People tend to forget from time to time that Nintendo is also a Japanese company, I wonder why.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017

They were obviously talking about real games, duh.

Like, I'm not even saying that Nintendo is the blueprint that everyone should follow. As Bonejack said, there are other examples. It's just frustrating to see such a large part of the industry completely concede the Japanese market to Nintendo (and Konami lol).

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
They really bolstered their Game Trial offerings over the past year. We are getting more and more interesting games (DxM, Crash Team Racing, ARMS, Minecraft Dungeons...).

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Direct will be this week because Nintendo will want to promote WarioWare for a last time, they are always doing thIs.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo was treated like its own thing. Even Harada dismissed their success as "well that's Nintendo" for some reason. People tend to forget from time to time that Nintendo is also a Japanese company, I wonder why.

Yeah, I remember that tweet thread.

They were obviously talking about real games, duh.

Like, I'm not even saying that Nintendo is the blueprint that everyone should follow. As Bonejack said, there are other examples. It's just frustrating to see such a large part of the industry completely concede the Japanese market to Nintendo (and Konami lol).

The thing that kind of argument kind of makes sense if you're talking about something like Animal Crossing or Ring Fit Adventure where it's something that other Japanese developers don't have a natural affinity with. It's harder to explain when it comes to stuff like Fire Emblem and Xenoblade which grew both globally and in Japan over the last decade or even Breath of the Wild that is at its core an Anime action adventure game.

Cheese&Onion

May 21, 2020
So what is the lay of the land for the coming weeks?

2pm CET announcement tweet on Mon, Tue or Wed for a following-day direct? Or a 2pm shadowdrop on Tue, Wed or Thur?

Just so I'm not here checking on the hour needlessly!

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Excuse me but there are in fact several elephants in Animal Crossing.

NabiscoFelt

One Winged Slayer
Aug 15, 2019
So what is the lay of the land for the coming weeks?

2pm CET announcement tweet on Mon, Tue or Wed for a following-day direct? Or a 2pm shadowdrop on Tue, Wed or Thur?

Just so I'm not here checking on the hour needlessly!
2 pm CET Tuesday announcement (or around that time anyways) is the most likely scenario

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
When was the February Direct announced? I was actually looking that up earlier but, astonishingly, I stopped and started doing actual work.

Edit - the day before yeah, so tomorrow would be the announcement day if it's this week, in all probability.

Jan 26, 2019
If this is the week, then I wonder if we start to see some informed speculation and a trickle of leaks from third parties here soon. 👀

Sadist

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Holland
Maybe people forget about Nintendo being a Japanese company because they think they are out of this world

Did you ever think of that

Fendoreo1

Jan 1, 2019
Has anyone with inside knowledge like Nate posted anything hinting at the direct timing outside of just vaguely September?

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
Has anyone with inside knowledge like Nate posted anything hinting at the direct timing outside of just vaguely September?
I think, earlier this month or late last month, Nate believed the Direct would take place before the PlayStation Showcase at one point, which basically gives us September 8th as a potential date (which would be consistent with previous September Directs). But I don't think that was any sort of cast-iron guarantee so much as it was as the general feeling he had at that time.

ozeiyo

Feb 12, 2020
Nintendo is a toy-making company in the business of making theme parks that occasionally makes video games in order to diversify its IPs. No wonder people don't consider it a video game company.

MusicProposition

User requested ban
Banned
Aug 21, 2019
It's interesting that in 2018/19 we had those GameStop SKU leaks 1-2 weeks before presentations, even in 2020 when Directs were obviously cancelled there were some. Since the February direct of this year, Nintendo seemed to stop those leaks.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing PracticalBrush leaks on reddit is second only to an actual Nintendo announcement at this stage, and no sign on that front yet!

I get the feeling he isn't coming back lol

He hasn't posted a single thing since E3 2021. He also claimed that he was gonna leak Nintendo's E3 but nothing happened. I really do think Nintendo finally caught on to his game and sent the ninjas after him.

MisterSpo

One Winged Slayer
Feb 12, 2019
We are a month and some days from Metroid Dread release, and there is a chance we get a Direct this/next week?

oprah-inhale.gif
Yep. We're in the usual timeframe for a September Direct. There are likely third-party titles to be announced for later this year, updates on the Nintendo front to be made, and some 2022 news to share.

Status
Not open for further replies.