• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Detroit had only 14 shots in a shutout loss. Ouch. Gonna be a rough year for the Wings. Maybe one of the California teams is worse, but since they play each other a lot they'll get their points. Ottawa is probably better too, but they're going to get slaughtered in the Canadian division. The battle for last and the first overall pick has a lot to do with the unbalanced schedule and all the divisional games.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
I wish we lived in a reality where Chiarelli wasn't the GM. Not even an Oilers fan, but I think the team was just as loaded as the 80s Oilers up front and was and set up to win multiple cups before he made several awful trades (Hall, Eberle & 2015 1st round pick).
IAq8gu6.gif

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
You don''t think with a competent GM they'd be a bonafide contender by now?
Even if they had another GM, there's no guarantee that the moves they would have made would have worked out. They probably wouldnt be in as bad of a position as they are now but to say they were poised to win multiple Cups is a bit much.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
In a few years: "If Holland made better moves..."

I think the reason why Edmonton isn't just wiping the floor with everyone right now is the reason most of us like this sport.

Having the best talent on your top two lines does not guarantee success. It helps and they can be exciting teams to watch but your best players still are on the ice for less than half the game.

The teams in the Final Four last year all pretty much had 4 strong forward lines and deep defensive cores.

Now if only your best players played (like in the NBA) this league would be Edmonton and Colorado's to lose I would think.

I really like going to Stars games and seeing all of the different names on the backs of jerseys. While Benn/Seguin/Bishop are the 'Stars' of the team there are tons of different names and depth/role players you see much more than I think any other sport.

Cat Party

Oct 25, 2017
No one can guarantee a Cup in this league, no matter how stacked you are, but the Oilers should be a powerhouse contender similar to the Blackhawks and Penguins in their recent heyday. Just complete mismanagement of that franchise.

At least my team squandered it's potential out on the ice, dammit!

Oct 27, 2017
I think the reason why Edmonton isn't just wiping the floor with everyone right now is the reason most of us like this sport.

Having the best talent on your top two lines does not guarantee success. It helps and they can be exciting teams to watch but your best players still are on the ice for less than half the game.

The teams in the Final Four last year all pretty much had 4 strong forward lines and deep defensive cores.

Now if only your best players played (like in the NBA) this league would be Edmonton and Colorado's to lose I would think.

I really like going to Stars games and seeing all of the different names on the backs of jerseys. While Benn/Seguin/Bishop are the 'Stars' of the team there are tons of different names and depth/role players you see much more than I think any other sport.
I totally agree with this post and is something I always bring up when comparing why I prefer this sport over others and why playoff hockey>>> every other major sport playoffs. In no other sport would a guy like Simmonds be getting all the praise for the other night's game against Montreal as opposed to the top-line superstars.

KodaRuss

Oct 27, 2017
Texas
I thought Evander Kane was going to opt out? He got 3 points yesterday. lol

I dont really understand the situation but I was surprised to see him playing as well. He seemed like a good dude from what I can tell but obviously has put himself in a really tough position.

Been enjoying NHL network flipping through the games in the evening. My five year old is kinda going crazy with all the different teams and goals we are seeing.

Moose

Prophet of Truth - Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 25, 2017
No one can guarantee a Cup in this league, no matter how stacked you are, but the Oilers should be a powerhouse contender similar to the Blackhawks and Penguins in their recent heyday. Just complete mismanagement of that franchise.

At least my team squandered it's potential out on the ice, dammit!
Just look at Tampa they had a pretty stacked roster throughout their lineup and it took them quite a while to get a cup with the current core.

Cake Boss

Oct 25, 2017
Hopefully the mighty snes don't cross check the leafs too much tonight or else their media will whine on their behalf.

dr.rocktopus

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

That's fair enough. Usage is still a concern that a team needs to build around. My point was more (IMO) the Chia years did a number of those types of developing/2nd/3rd tier guys, Holland will get the shit end of the stick. On top of Holland already doing dumb shit like trading two picks for a rental in AA. So while your top end forwards are pretty much set, with not much of a supporting cast right now, it's on Holland to make those moves to fill it out. To make a Stars analogy, there's no young developing core like Hintz/Gurianov/Miro/etc. to add cheap talent on top of Benn/Seguin/Rads/Pavs/Klinger.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
Watching a player like McDavid or Draisaitl do their thang and then watching a player like Matthews gives me serious whiplash. It's like watching two different sports, the gulf in talent and natural ability.

Hopefully the Oilers can get their defense and goaltending sorted because it will be a shame if both don't lift at least a couple Cups in their careers donning Oilers silks.

Rivenblade

Nov 1, 2017
Watching a player like McDavid or Draisaitl do their thang and then watching a player like Matthews gives me serious whiplash. It's like watching two different sports, the gulf in talent and natural ability.

Hopefully the Oilers can get their defense and goaltending sorted because it will be a shame if both don't lift at least a couple Cups in their careers donning Oilers silks.

Yeah, I'd like to see it, but it's also comical how badly the Oilers keep screwing up despite all the top draft picks.

Abylim

Oct 29, 2017

If Matthews was on a team as loaded as the 80s oilers, he'd look better!

Parch

Nov 6, 2017
Not good for any team missing their top defenseman, but Oilers without Klefbom hopefully doesn't hurt their powerplay. Barrie can fill that spot and so far the powerplay still looks strong. Their low game is great.

Definitely no cup predictions, but it's a good opportunity for guys like Yamamoto, Nurse, and Puljujarvi to have breakout years and see an improvement for the Oilers. If that happens a playoff spot should happen. Of course watching McDavid pylon defensemen never gets old. Watching the Oilers is worth the price of admission, if only we could.