cb1115

Oct 25, 2017
As they've said Peter is fine, wonder how they'll address that in the game? Do any of the comics deal with mulitple Spidermans in the same NY? He'll need to be out of the picture somehow I guess..

If Insomniac manage to get R&C out at launch too - will that be the first time a single developer has had two games available at a console launch?
IIRC the Silver Sable DLC sets up MJ having to leave the U.S. for a while. maybe he left NYC to visit her?

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Rift Apart is a brand new title designed from the ground up for PS5.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales is a stand-alone expansion to a game that already shipped on PS4.

It's not the same thing at all. Obviously. Good lord.
Miles is a standalone game like The Lost Legacy. Even after it has been clarified to not be an expansion people are calling it an expansion: "In truth, Spider-Man: Miles Morales is not an expansion or enhancement but a new video game".

GT7 will be using the highest quality detailed vehicles that were scaled down in GT Sport and Horizon Forbidden West was reported to be a PS4 game until its development was moved to next-gen. Nobody else is reaching to conclude that these games are also going to be released on PS4 or that Sony is hiding that from people.

Go on, explain why it's obvious.

Miles Morales is going to be PS5 exclusive not because it's some ambitious project that only next-gen hardware could support. Miles Morales is going to be PS5 exclusive because that's like the only first party exclusive game they have to get you to buy a PS5 this fall.
The fact that it is obvious means it doesn't demand an explanation. By your logic, Insomniac Games would evangelise PS5 exclusive features in their PS5 exclusive Ratchet & Clank game and evangelise PS5 exclusive features in their PS5 exclusive Spider-Man game but not also make use of these features in one of them because it's a launch title? Also by your logic, Sony's first act after acquiring an independent Insomniac was forcing them to do something.

Oct 27, 2017
Sounds great and getting it day one but the Lost Legacy comparison may make people think it will be $40 like that not $60, either way $60 for a solid 8-10 hour campaign with replay able challenges seem good to me

MillionIII

Banned
Sep 11, 2018
You're going too hard on that guy for no reason and I think you're missing his point (I'm not saying you're wrong though). I personally prefer Sony's strategy to move on to next gen with their first-party games, but it's obvious that out of all the games announced at the event, Miles Morales would be the easiest one to make a version for the PS4. It's a standalone expansion of the last game, it won't revolutionize the wheel and every add-on they're bringing to the PS5 (at least from what we're lead to believe from the trailers and bits of info) could be left out of a PS4 version: ray-tracing, zero loading, better graphics. Of course it's not a "turn on/off" of a switch, but they could probably do it. If it doesn't make it to the PS4 (and I think it won't fiy) it has more to do with Sony's strategy than technical difficulties, imo (but I'm no expert, of course).
Those games are made to sell consoles, that's like saying why they didn't downgrade R&C ps4 to work on ps3.

Patitoloco

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
IIRC the Silver Sable DLC sets up MJ having to leave the U.S. for a while. maybe he left NYC to visit her?
This is the most likely thing.

He's visiting her on Christmas, and Miles is kinda the understudy that finds himself in a crazy situation, and pulls up to become a better Spider-Man.

Loudninja

Oct 27, 2017
So the game will be in the dev for over 2 years 5 months or so, that quite a good chuck of time.

Zaied

Oct 27, 2017
As they've said Peter is fine, wonder how they'll address that in the game? Do any of the comics deal with mulitple Spidermans in the same NY? He'll need to be out of the picture somehow I guess..

If Insomniac manage to get R&C out at launch too - will that be the first time a single developer has had two games available at a console launch?

Yep, there's the whole Clone Saga, but even in more recent stories, Peter and Miles operate in NYC together and are both recognized as "Spider-Man" by the public. Heck, when Miguel was stuck in present day NYC, he was also known as "Spider-Man", so there were three separate Spider-Mans swinging around NYC at the same time.

Fredrik

Oct 27, 2017
People expecting 60fps as an option in most console games next gen are in for a huge disappointment. That's the last thing they are going to be pushing.
Better graphics, 4k, ray tracing, etc...that sells consoles much faster.
I'd say that it depends on what some bigger devs are doing and how DF and the boards are talking about this. 30fps could easily become a troublesome thing in PR, it signals weak hardware more than anything else.

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Those games are made to sell consoles, that's like saying why they didn't downgrade R&C ps4 to work on ps3.

That's precisely my point and the main reason why Miles Morales won't be playable on a PS4, not because of technical impossibilities. And that R&C example isn't the same at all is it? There's a bigger difference between PS4's R&C and the last PS3 game than Miles and Spiderman on the PS4. At least from what we've seen so far.

Deleted member 46489

User requested account closure
Banned
Aug 7, 2018
A PS4 port is not a question of technical feasibility. If the Witcher 3 can be ported to Switch, you bet Miles Morales can be ported to work on the PS4. Of course, making the game work on three systems (PS5, PS4, PS4 Pro) would take a lot more effort than making it work just on the PS5.

But there are ZERO good reasons to do so. Miles Morales is literally the only first party game confirmed to be releasing with the PS5 this fall. It's a system seller. You don't put your system seller on your old system.

dunkzilla

alt account
Banned
Dec 13, 2018

The current run of Amazing Spider-Man and Miles Morales: Spider-Man are both set in New York. Both co-exist fine. I'm not sure why you think this is an issue?

nujabeans

Dec 2, 2017
So, can we listen to Miles' Walkman while playing? It's be so awesome if we could get Christmas music. This could be the video game equivalent of Die Hard lol

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Lost Legacy is exactly what I'm thinking about when I say "expansion."
The Lost Legacy did use Uncharted 4 tech to help fast-track its development but is still a full game, longer than some previous Uncharted games, not as long as others. I'm not entirely sure where you're going with this.

The point is that it's essentially a PS4 game with new bells and whistles.
You don't have proof of this and I'm not sure you will until you play it.

EroticSushi

Oct 25, 2017
Curious to see if we're gonna get faster swinging and a more dense city with the ped/traffic?

I remember them saying they had to slow down the swinging because of the hardware limitations on the PS4.

ChrisJSY

Oct 29, 2017
Definitely getting it but after finishing Spiderman, I noticed a lot of repeatable fluff/filler (literally towers) and if we're getting more of that on a shorter game, eh.
Excited still.

platocplx

2020 Member Elect
Oct 30, 2017
You're going too hard on that guy for no reason and I think you're missing his point (I'm not saying you're wrong though). I personally prefer Sony's strategy to move on to next gen with their first-party games, but it's obvious that out of all the games announced at the event, Miles Morales would be the easiest one to make a version for the PS4. It's a standalone expansion of the last game, it won't revolutionize the wheel and every add-on they're bringing to the PS5 (at least from what we're lead to believe from the trailers and bits of info) could be left out of a PS4 version: ray-tracing, zero loading, better graphics. Of course it's not a "turn on/off" of a switch, but they could probably do it. If it doesn't make it to the PS4 (and I think it won't fiy) it has more to do with Sony's strategy than technical difficulties, imo (but I'm no expert, of course).
just the loading items alone, they would have to need to have literally two different versions of the game to support an HDD vs an SSD its not just easily made, the concept sure, but to say that you can just plop it as cross gen makes no sense at all.
Y'all, a LOT of next-gen sequels are going to re-use assets from current-gen games. A lot of the assets used in games were already built and used with multiple console generations in mind. It's not just about the base 3D model anymore.

a 4D scan also captures movement basically

exactly. especially if you have a fully modeled city. where they can push more detail etc but keep a similar model.

CrispyGamer

Banned
Jan 4, 2020
That screenshot looks super clean I wonder if someone can pixel count because it looks waaay too clean for it to not be 4k

molnizzle

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Lost Legacy did use Uncharted 4 tech to help fast-track its development but is still a full game, longer than some previous Uncharted games, not as long as others. I'm not entirely sure where you're going with this.
The first part is where I'm going with it. Game length has nothing to do with it. The point is rather than move on from all the tools and assets they perfected in U4, they had part of the team continue on through the development process. Lost Legacy was the result. That's what I personally mean by "expansion." The original meaning (expansion packs for PC games) hasn't really been applicable for a while.

You don't have proof of this and I'm not sure you will until you play it.
You're right about this. But when I play it, my assumptions will be confirmed.

fanboy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Slovakia
Which games has Norton directed before? Is this the same team that made first Spider-Man? And small portion of that team is at pre production for Spidey 2?

Ftom the wording it seems like they are working on Spider-Verse...

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017

To be fair to the 'it's an expansion' people, the Wikipedia page for The Lost Legacy describes it as 'a standalone expansion to Uncharted 4 '. Someone in another thread made a decent pitch to me as to why they referred to Halo ODST as an expansion despite it being a fully standalone title that didn't require Halo 3 to play. It's basically semantics. Like ODST, The Lost Legacy started as a DLC expansion and was spun off into it's own standalone product. It's totally just semantics.

When Insomniac themselves are saying 'scope like The Lost Legacy', we all know what they mean by that. It doesn't matter if you consider that an expansion or not. They mean it's built upon and will likely be leaner than 2018 Spider-Man. Like The Lost Legacy. If it was going to be the same scope and size as Spider-Man 2018 and was being built from the ground up then they wouldn't have made that comparison.

Arguing about what an expansion is or isn't is kinda pointless at this point.

ArmGunar

PlayStatistician
Oct 30, 2017
Which games has Norton directed before? Is this the same team that made first Spider-Man? And small portion of that team is at pre production for Spidey 2?

Ftom the wording it seems like they are working on Spider-Verse...
He did RotR and is also credited as Creative Director on Spider-Man PS4

And yeah it seems there is a 3rd team doing Spider-Man 2
  • Marcus Smith : Creative Director on Ratchet PS5
  • Brian Horton : Creative Director on Miles PS5
  • Bryan Intihar : probably Creative Director on Spider-Man 2 (he was on first one)

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Mentioned this in the other thread, but based on the description of the story I get the feeling that it's adapting the Roxxon Storyline from the Ultimate Comics.

Ultimate-Comics-Spider-Man-28-miles-morales-41720512-1779-457.jpg

In it, the Roxxon Corporation got revealed to be behind the kidnapping and creation of a multiple metahumans. So I'm thinking the game may adapt that arc (minus Jessica Drew for obvious reasons) and throw in Techno Golem/Tomoe as a second villain and the leader of that High Tech Army.
Hmm... Gwen has never been mention in Spider-man ps4 right? Maybe she's a roxxon test subject and we get SpiderGwen at the end of Miles Morales