• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MattB

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've been trying to do the off to a flying startle for the last hour.... Idk why it's being so picking on this one.....

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I've been trying to do the off to a flying startle for the last hour.... Idk why it's being so picking on this one.....
Yeah it's vague. There's in the field near the lake two sets, one which is scared by a Dodrio and one set scared by Pigeot. I guess you gotta snap one of those before they're scared?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Also wtf at having both Lycanroc take up the same PhotoDex slots.

I get like Vivillon and the ones with minor differences but they're functionally two unique Pokemon.

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
I'm loving this so much, it's so relaxing. I just wish it had the great background tunes og Snap had

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
God this game is a delight. I'm stuck working at the moment but can't stop thinking about how to make things happen and appear in all the various levels I have unlocked.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Also wtf at having both Lycanroc take up the same PhotoDex slots.

I get like Vivillon and the ones with minor differences but they're functionally two unique Pokemon.

That's how it works in the pokedex for all form pokemon in every other pokemon game. Nindoran male/female is one of the only different gender/forms to have a unique number iirc

Koppai

Oct 25, 2017
Went ahead and ordered the printer from Japan, yeah it cost $160 with shipping but better than paying the shitty scalpers on Ebay charging $200-$300+.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
internet_20210502_10q5j31.jpeg

internet_20210502_101ukkx.jpeg

internet_20210502_10lij88.jpeg

internet_20210502_10eak4c.jpeg

internet_20210502_10zbj90.jpeg

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017
How does the online sharing work? I feel like very few get recommended to me, and when I open the internet tab, there are always the same photos, and no way to switch pages, or filter by area, or pokémon, or anything.

I got somewhat lucky with a Scorbunny picture I posted and had like 450 likes in 2 minutes (thrn stopped), but other than that, almost no pics got likes, and I have no idea how that reached people since searching only wields the same bidoof photos.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
How does the online sharing work? I feel like very few get recommended to me, and when I open the internet tab, there are always the same photos, and no way to switch pages, or filter by area, or pokémon, or anything.

I got somewhat lucky with a Scorbunny picture I posted and had like 450 likes in 2 minutes (thrn stopped), but other than that, almost no pics got likes, and I have no idea how that reached people since searching only wields the same bidoof photos.
I'm not sure how to change the trending photos, but you can browse the galleries of other players by checking your Photodex rank and clicking on the names of other players. You can search by your rank, Top 100, friends, etc.

Jogi

Prophet of Regret
Jul 4, 2018
Ok so I knew I would like it, but didn't know that my wife would too. We play Pokémon go together, but she hasn't played snap on 64 or ever wanted to play any other Pokémon games. We played snap for hours handheld. Charged the switch and she couldn't wait to play more. We wake up this morning and she was like guess what I dreamed about? POKÉMON SNAP! The only game she's ever had any interest in playing.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
It's before the blue hole in a part where there's a lot of vegetation on both sides of the path. You have to do something to be able to take a photo of it.

It is in the level with the blue hole though? Vegetation makes me think you mean the third level of that area...

Are you talking about making the shrimp blast away the debris near the beginning of the third level?

Gvitor

Oct 27, 2017
I'm not sure how to change the trending photos, but you can browse the galleries of other players by checking your Photodex rank and clicking on the names of other players. You can search by your rank, Top 100, friends, etc.

Just checked it, but it's still not ideal. You can check friends there more easily, which is great, but the overall ranking is useless. It's based on photo points, not sweet medals, so someone who 100% completed the game but only posted shitty pics has a better score than someone who worked for that sweet sylveon pic in the 1st level.

I thought I was missing something, but it seems the sharing/searching system is actually barebones. Oh well, here's hoping for updates.

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
It is in the level with the blue hole though? Vegetation makes me think you mean the third level of that area...

Are you talking about making the shrimp blast away the debris near the beginning of the third level?
Oh yeah, sorry, it's in the third level, underwater.

And it's just after the part you mentioned -- no, you can't make the shrimp blast away the debris yet. As I said, it's the "kelp forest" part just after that.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
The star categories feel too vague. Like sometimes 2 star is eating. Sometimes it's getting hit with an apple. Woulda been better to just name the categories instead of the stars.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
The star categories feel too vague. Like sometimes 2 star is eating. Sometimes it's getting hit with an apple. Woulda been better to just name the categories instead of the stars.
I think they went with stars instead of named categories because there are oftentimes multiple unique behaviors in a star category. I have seen completely different actions that were both three stars, for example.

I wonder how many unique behaviors there are overall. There is a ton of content in this game.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
I think they went with stars instead of named categories because there are oftentimes multiple unique behaviors in a star category. I have seen completely different actions that were both three stars, for example.

I wonder how many unique behaviors there are overall. There is a ton of content in this game.
Yeah, that does seem to be the case. But it's frustrating when you want to find a particular category for you Photodex. You're just guessing.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017

My pics get no likes :(

I wish there was a way to search by Pokémon but I guess once they are edited they lose the tag?

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Oh yeah, sorry, it's in the third level, underwater.

And it's just after the part you mentioned -- no, you can't make the shrimp blast away the debris yet. As I said, it's the "kelp forest" part just after that.

I ended up just looking it up. I'm honestly a little annoyed, I don't know how I was supposed to figure that out. They completely change the process (in every level you have to take a picture of the plant) and the location of the thing you're supposed to capture is really obscure. I had played the level like six times without registering that there would be something important there.

And while looking it up I was spoiled on a ton of stuff because the guide was covered with links like "Where to find *legendary Pokemon*."

Oh well. Still loving the game overall but that objective seems really lame to me.

Apopheniac

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
generally it's

1 star - Pokémon doing it's thing
2 star - Pokémon reacts to something you did
3 star - Pokémon does something cool
4 star - Pokémon does something really cool

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a point to maxing out the research level?

Levelling it up to max seems to keep it stuck at level 3.

|OT| v1.4 : Community Snaps, Part Two
OP
OP
dogbox

dogbox

Jan 30, 2019
Spaceball Arena
k9pjah5.png

Hey all, it's your old pal dogbox with another round-up of Most Excellent Snaps! I wanted to do a few of these through the weekend but some family matters and work on next week's OT cut me short. Here we go:

I think I threw too hard 😔

58c250ae-769c-472a-85akb6.jpeg
I feel like I'm ten again :')

Here are some of my favorites:
aca5CNM.jpg

Bcc9A5m.jpg

aUnFEi1.jpg

hZyb2c5.jpg

McGonagall vibes:
PuCCXFb.jpg

Obligatory bidoof shot:
J2zkuRN.jpg

c4HJafX.jpg

JSREvdt.jpg

I love this game lmao

E0SrUW0VEAMqLue

Ursa Minioris

E0SrUX1VoAEeEFn

I didnt sign up for this!!!

E0SrUXaVUAMgQQF

Everlasting Love

E0SrUXVUUAEhZxR

I! NEED! SLEEP!!!
I'm having a lot of fun! Figuring out how to get the Pokémon to react is a bit weird sometimes, but when you finally make it work it's really satisfying.

Here's a few more snaps!

E0PwSSUWQAstreQ
E0PwTfLWQAIIozM
E0P1DG4WEAQRH3u
E0QUMU1XIAECv7T
E0QUOJeWEAkeIrR
E0Qh-w7WUAcBIh9
E0VYRvXXIAAr3t8
E0VYUzuXsAIPFxG
E0VffqqXsAUgRg-
E0VfiyWWUAEK7In
E0VfkxgWUAYErJS
E0VfhMLXsAIJHDc
Man, this game is endearing me to so many Pokemon I never knew I loved. Look at these guys. They're fantastic.

E0XrkPoVEAcMteh

They're so done with my shit and all I've done is throw a single apple at them. I haven't even started blasting my ice cream truck jingle yet.
I really need more photo filters and I want to apply multiple filters at once, only being able use one is kinda lame. I wanna perfect my photo's.

E0X8HRfUcAMEmgK
E0X8HRQVkAILF4S

E0X8HR9VoAAb8Ed

That said, I'm really loving this so far. It's so relaxing , I really hope they'll bring expansions to this game because it's just nice to spend time in it.

Thanks to everyone submitting their snaps!

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I ended up just looking it up. I'm honestly a little annoyed, I don't know how I was supposed to figure that out. They completely change the process (in every level you have to take a picture of the plant) and the location of the thing you're supposed to capture is really obscure. I had played the level like six times without registering that there would be something important there.

And while looking it up I was spoiled on a ton of stuff because the guide was covered with links like "Where to find *legendary Pokemon*."

Oh well. Still loving the game overall but that objective seems really lame to me.

Not sure what you mean because there is a plant to take a picture of in that level, maybe you took a picture of the Pokemon sitting on top of it? It's not that obscure if we're talking about the same thing in the kelp.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Are some of the requests only possible on specific research (lower) levels? I just sort of assumed if I'm on research level max for an area then in theory I could achieve every request there too.

MrSaturn99

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a giant bucket.
I'd be way more stoked on this right now if the game's opening stages hadn't taken forever to upgrade their research levels and let me progress. Not that a) I wasn't having fun discovering new Pokes/behaviors and b) I wasn't having a blast editing pictures, but even with the day/night cycles they were getting to be a real chore; heck, I almost fell asleep yesterday morning!

Now the game's opening up and being much more generous in its grinding/progression -- I'm practically swarmed with potential ideas and things to check out, which induces excellent pressure for a rail-based concept such as this-- but while the idea of grinding individual levels has merit, I can't say I care for how it generally left a mixed first impression. Hopefully that'll dissipate soon.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Are some of the requests only possible on specific research (lower) levels? I just sort of assumed if I'm on research level max for an area then in theory I could achieve every request there too.
You have to play on specific research levels, I believe. I can think of some behaviors with associated requests that cease to occur on higher levels. You have to be observant of what happens, when and where. Part of the game's puzzle meta.

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
This game has made me a fan of so many new Pokémon. I imagine Florges and many others will be more popular than ever thanks to this game.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Not sure what you mean because there is a plant to take a picture of in that level, maybe you took a picture of the Pokemon sitting on top of it? It's not that obscure if we're talking about the same thing in the kelp.

I definitely didn't see a plant. According to the guide I read you have to
take a picture of the illuminated Frillish that's hiding on a ledge during the part of the level where you go down into a trench.

That worked for me, is there an alternate way of progressing?

Nocturnowl

Oct 25, 2017
TURF WAR

Also feeding the silicobra is tops
This game has made me a fan of so many new Pokémon. I imagine Florges and many others will be more popular than ever thanks to this game.
This is one of the greatest strengths of pokemon's spinoff media and anime, the spotlight can get shone on so many random pokemon.
The constant tale of tragic skorupi when getting those stars has endeared me to the little bug

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That's how it works in the pokedex for all form pokemon in every other pokemon game. Nindoran male/female is one of the only different gender/forms to have a unique number iirc
No I mean you can't have a 1 Star Photo of Lycanroc Day and a 1 Star Photo of Lycanroc Night.

I know they're not uniquely numbered but I feel in a spin off all about taking pictures too pretty different looking Pokemon shouldn't override each other's photos.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
No I mean you can't have a 1 Star Photo of Lycanroc Day and a 1 Star Photo of Lycanroc Night.

I know they're not uniquely numbered but I feel in a spin off all about taking pictures too pretty different looking Pokemon shouldn't override each other's photos.

The photo dex treats them the same way the poke dex does for better or worse. I imagine the same situation would have happened if pokemon like Rotom or Castform were in this game.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I definitely didn't see a plant. According to the guide I read you have to
take a picture of the illuminated Frillish that's hiding on a ledge during the part of the level where you go down into a trench.

That worked for me, is there an alternate way of progressing?

I've finished the game and never had to do that, there's a
Lumineon in the kelp forest before the first level hole that you just have to hit with an apple to get to move and picture the blooming plant under it. Maybe there's another near that Frillish but I really doubt the Frillish itself progressed anything?

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
The photo dex treats them the same way the poke dex does for better or worse. I imagine the same situation would have happened if pokemon like Rotom or Castform were in this game.
Yeah and that's disappointing.

I get it with Minior or Vivillon which just have different colors but these two have their own attitude, poses, and personality.

Feel they should've made them seperate categories for this game. Not like the Photodex is using the official numbering right?

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah and that's disappointing.

I get it with Minior or Vivillon which just have different colors but these two have their own attitude, poses, and personality.

Feel they should've made them seperate categories for this game. Not like the Photodex is using the official numbering right?

All pokemon games have separate numbering systems for the regional dex and the national dex. The Lental dex numbering has nothing to do with the national dex.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
You have to play on specific research levels, I believe. I can think of some behaviors with associated requests that cease to occur on higher levels. You have to be observant of what happens, when and where. Part of the game's puzzle meta.
Can you choose a specific research level later on ?
If not I might actually use a guide for the requests...

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
Can we please raze the rest of Universal theme parks to the ground and turn that land into a giant Pokémon-themed expansion of Super Nintendo World that recreates all of these Pokémon Snap courses in real life?

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
Can you choose a specific research level later on ?
If not I might actually use a guide for the requests...
You can temporarily lower research levels by hitting "X" before selecting the level. It's fun for variety, but I do wish the requests had a "common in research level so and so" tag or something.

Kwigo

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
TURF WAR

Also feeding the silicobra is tops

This is one of the greatest strengths of pokemon's spinoff media and anime, the spotlight can get shone on so many random pokemon.
The constant tale of tragic skorupi when getting those stars has endeared me to the little bug
You should post your pic of the two Piplups farting

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
I've finished the game and never had to do that, there's a
Lumineon in the kelp forest before the first level hole that you just have to hit with an apple to get to move and picture the blooming plant under it. Maybe there's another near that Frillish but I really doubt the Frillish itself progressed anything?

Lol, it was definitely the Frillish itself. The professor comments on it. And it's hanging out on an empty ledge. Interesting that there's apparently another way of progressing there.

Edit: I just looked up video of the method you're talking about, I feel pretty silly, I actually woke that Pokémon up multiple times but I guess I just never noticed that the Crystabloom behind it was in bloom.

I still think it's kind of lame, maybe I'm remembering wrong but don't you have to take pictures of all the other ones at night? Why is this one "activated" during the day?

Last edited:

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I wish there was an option to skip Mirror's ranking at the end of the course in the postgame. Between that and the loads its not as snappy jumping in and out of levels as it could be.