• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Nax

Hero of Bowerstone
Oct 10, 2018
Question: Is everything attainable for an Area once you reach Max Research Level? Or do you have to go back to lower levels to find certain Pokemon/behaviors?

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
Loving this so far, just did my first run of the beach area. After a bunch of play time I just went to the options and changed to type 2 to put photo taking on R which makes it feel so much better and more natural!

I do miss evolutions and there seems to be a lot less fighting among Pokemon, but the sheer variety and bigger scope of the game more than makes up for it. The gen 1 picks also seem to have a fair bit of overlap with Pokemon that were in the original Snap which is an odd choice.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Loving this so far, just did my first run of the beach area. After a bunch of play time I just went to the options and changed to type 2 to put photo taking on R which makes it feel so much better and more natural!

I do miss evolutions and there seems to be a lot less fighting among Pokemon, but the sheer variety and bigger scope of the game more than makes up for it. The gen 1 picks also seem to have a fair bit of overlap with Pokemon that were in the original Snap which is an odd choice.
Fighting definitely occurs on the later levels of stages. There are some pretty solid fights in this, haha.

HylianSeven

Shin Megami TC - Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This was worth the 20+ year wait. It's quite good. I don't find the interactive stuff that obtuse, it usually makes sense and a lot of the times nothing seemed to work, it was because I didn't have the thing I needed yet.

It is a little weird they toned down Pokemon fighting in this game. Pokemon could straight up knock out others in the original, but here I generally maybe see some Pokemon chase others.

SpaceSong

Oct 25, 2017
This was worth the 20+ year wait. It's quite good. I don't find the interactive stuff that obtuse, it usually makes sense and a lot of the times nothing seemed to work, it was because I didn't have the thing I needed yet.

It is a little weird they toned down Pokemon fighting in this game. Pokemon could straight up knock out others in the original, but here I generally maybe see some Pokemon chase others.
I've seen two pretty good fights in the first level alone tonight. You gotta work to get them but they happen.

Tidalwaves

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
You don't need to get perfect photos to clear the story, just snapping whatever of each pokemon is good enough to beat the game. It sounds to me like you stressed yourself out for no real reason. 90% of the obtuse puzzles are completely optional. This game is exactly what the original Snap was if the original Snap was 4-5x as long and Nintendo needed to pace it as such.
Yeah it was definitely for no reason, but it's how I function so it's why I didn't like it * shrug* I just prefer the shorter version, I think I have less patience these days and the repeating courses didn't do much for me

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Yeah it was definitely for no reason, but it's how I function so it's why I didn't like it * shrug* I just prefer the shorter version, I think I have less patience these days and the repeating courses didn't do much for me

Tbh, there's nothing wrong at all with preferring a shorter, tighter experience. Some of the best games just work better that way, like Star Fox 64, and unfortunately the modern industry just makes it impossible to have top-of-the-line budget games like that anymore. The original Snap will forever be a classic and it's short length is part of its perfection, in a way.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Why do the pictures look so horrible when you're choosing which ones to show to the professor? They're super blurry and pixelated.

It's weird because they look fine when they're being graded, they only look bad when you're choosing them.

Minor complaint but it's a little annoying.

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Why do the pictures look so horrible when you're choosing which ones to show to the professor? They're super blurry and pixelated.

It's weird because they look fine when they're being graded, they only look bad when you're choosing them.

Minor complaint but it's a little annoying.

I noticed that yesterday. Its REALLY weird and off-putting.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Just popping in cause I have to ask...

You are given an in-game friend code and you can view friends scores... HOW DO YOU ADD FRIENDS?! I've gone over every menu and cannot find anything :/ Friends on your Switch that play don't auto-add, either.

Spinosaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Uhh were the flufffruits supposed to sink through the sand the first time in the desert level because when I replayed the level that suddenly stopped happening.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Just saw a mythical Pokemon out of nowhere and no idea how I triggered it 😳

Does anyone know how the Forest level works yet? I've noticed the warping seems random and unrelated to research level?

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Just popping in cause I have to ask...

You are given an in-game friend code and you can view friends scores... HOW DO YOU ADD FRIENDS?! I've gone over every menu and cannot find anything :/ Friends on your Switch that play don't auto-add, either.

I only have one friend on my ranking list and it's just a Switch friend, I assume they may have to log into the Online section to register a Snap profile?

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Man getting back to the professor and he's like "This is just a one star pose" when you're sure you shot a dope-ass shot is dispiriting

Also sometimes you get the photos back and you're like "I have no idea what's going on in this picture, but I guess it's a two star shot, so whatever"

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
It should usually affect something at Night.

Maybe I'm missing something but even at night it seems like most of them just light up and that's it. If there happens to be a Pokémon nearby they might glow as if I hit them directly with an orb.

Man getting back to the professor and he's like "This is just a one star pose" when you're sure you shot a dope-ass shot is dispiriting

Also sometimes you get the photos back and you're like "I have no idea what's going on in this picture, but I guess it's a two star shot, so whatever"

The stars don't have anything to do with quality, each one is just a unique action. So for a given Pokémon it might be something like 1 star is just them standing around, 2 stars is dancing to the flute, 3 is eating, and 4 is performing an attack. And then for each of those you can get scores that range from bronze to diamond or whatever. But just because you get one or two stars doesn't mean it's a bad pic.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i mean more like they're doing a unique action. LIke I got a shot of a shrimp firing his water pressure laser and the professor is like 'calm shot, nice'

sometimes the target finder just sucks too. Had a wailord with its mouth open yawning and the camera is like 'no subject'. what the fuck, camera

ze_

Oct 28, 2017
i mean more like they're doing a unique action. LIke I got a shot of a shrimp firing his water pressure laser and the professor is like 'calm shot, nice'

sometimes the target finder just sucks too. Had a wailord with its mouth open yawning and the camera is like 'no subject'. what the fuck, camera
I have no idea how Clawitzer's shooting animation only registers as a single star—that really caught me off guard too! And like you said in your other post, sometimes you're thumbing through what you took and you'll find completely normal photos are marked as a two-star animation. It kinda bums me out, because I might actually work to get a particular shot/anim, and I'll find out it's as good as this completely mundane and rather shoddy looking other shot.

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto

On this note, apparently Wailord yawning is just a 1-star as well, lol.

DevilPuncher

"This guy are sick" and Aggressively Mediocre
Oct 25, 2017
This game is way, way, way better than I expected it to be, and I'm a tremendous fan of the N64 game. It captures the spirit of the original so well and really makes the Pokémon feel wild and alive.

YpzFhft_d.webp

Stickers are such a game changer, btw. I can add a narrative to a totally innocuous picture and it's hilarious.

Last edited:

btkadams

Oct 25, 2017
I find this game oddly relaxing. It's really hitting the spot right now, and is a great relief after playing a few hours of Returnal earlier lol.

Jave

Oct 30, 2017
Chile
Question: In order for a photo to count for one of the challenges (the ones the NPCs ask for), does it need to be saved to the album or presented to the Professor?

Nov 27, 2017
California
I've played the first level 4 times now
day, night, single Pokémon, apple
what the fuck
so dumb
let me go to other levels
hand holding is one of Nintendo's faults now

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
I'm sad with how the photo save works, with such a small limit of 48 (before saving onto sd card). I replaced a bunch of better ranking photos in my dex, but since I didn't initially save them, I guess I lost them for good :/

That, and the fact that you can only pick one PER Pokemon, despite how many different rank types you have, are my only main gripes with this game :x

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Oh also, once the stage changes, is there a way to go back to the original version? Sucks if you can't go back to get specific pics again.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
About to be a 5th time I'm playing the first level and they want random requests
what a let down so far, really disappointing

You probably just didn't take enough pictures to level up the area or something. I've been playing for awhile and haven't bothered with the requests at all, they're optional.

Clay

Oct 29, 2017
Where is the flower thing to unlock the last part of the water levels? I've done them all multiple times, they don't seem to have night versions, I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do next.

The only lead I have Is the "blue hole," I'm thinking it may be dark enough down there for one of the plants to be lit up? I may be completely off base there though...

Irminsul

Oct 25, 2017
Where is the flower thing to unlock the last part of the water levels? I've done them all multiple times, they don't seem to have night versions, I'm kind of at a loss as to what to do next.

The only lead I have Is the "blue hole," I'm thinking it may be dark enough down there for one of the plants to be lit up? I may be completely off base there though...
It's before the blue hole in a part where there's a lot of vegetation on both sides of the path. You have to do something to be able to take a photo of it.

Rubblatus

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Man, this game is endearing me to so many Pokemon I never knew I loved. Look at these guys. They're fantastic.

E0XrkPoVEAcMteh

They're so done with my shit and all I've done is throw a single apple at them. I haven't even started blasting my ice cream truck jingle yet.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I really need more photo filters and I want to apply multiple filters at once, only being able use one is kinda lame. I wanna perfect my photo's.

E0X8HRfUcAMEmgK
E0X8HRQVkAILF4S

E0X8HR9VoAAb8Ed

That said, I'm really loving this so far. It's so relaxing , I really hope they'll bring expansions to this game because it's just nice to spend time in it.

Last edited:

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i also like it because while I'm kind of up to date with Pokemon it's also like sometimes I'm just all "what the fuck is that?" cos I don't have encyclopedic knowledge beyond the first two gens or so

This doesn't have an Sw/Sh exclusive pokemon in it does it? I see a bunch of Sun/Mooners but I don't recall any british pokemans

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
i also like it because while I'm kind of up to date with Pokemon it's also like sometimes I'm just all "what the fuck is that?" cos I don't have encyclopedic knowledge beyond the first two gens or so

This doesn't have an Sw/Sh exclusive pokemon in it does it? I see a bunch of Sun/Mooners but I don't recall any british pokemans

Grookey is right at the start of the first level, lol. There's some here and there, but not any overbalance of them. Maybe even underbalanced?

Theorymon

Oct 25, 2017

There's certainly less SwSh mons than the other gens, but I've noticed a few that aren't the starters! The one's I've seen are

Applin
Frosmoth
Silicobra
Eldegoss