Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
It was understood that the EGS was going to be a loss leader the problem is they are not achieving the growth goals. I think the big problem is they needed to wrap up the freebies a while back so that the userbase would actually spend money.

Delusibeta

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, if anyone at Epic thinks the EGS is going to be breaking even by 2023, they're going to be in for a shock when the free games stop and their MAUs drop like a stone. I think they've completely snookered themselves, they've failed to attract a paying audience and I don't think there's any viable way to turn the store around unless they get extremely lucky with one of their exclusives.

Deleted member 2317

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, if anyone at Epic thinks the EGS is going to be breaking even by 2023, they're going to be in for a shock when the free games stop and their MAUs drop like a stone. I think they've completely snookered themselves, they've failed to attract a paying audience and I don't think there's any viable way to turn the store around unless they get extremely lucky with one of their exclusives.
Thankfully a fair amount of games are DRM free copies on EGS, should it ever evaporate.

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever™
Sep 24, 2019
Epic has been trying to force its way into the PC marketplace because they know that while the Fortnite money is enormous, (almost) nothing is permanent. Not surprised to see a new player having staggering entry costs, especially with them giving out free shit all the time.

Oct 27, 2017
They don't need to be so long as they continue to pull in active users regularly. IFeven a small percentage of new users sign up for Fortnite and buy v bucks,EGS is working in favor of Epic's long term goals.
But that's literally the case right now and it's not working in their favor. They're going to need significantly more users purchasing IAP, or the same percentage of users purchasing more expensive IAP, or more users buying games on the EGS

Reckheim

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
same thing as ms with gamepass. They are doing their best to get as many people into their ecosystem. They knew going into this they would be loosing millions.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
thier biggest product is f2p and they keep giving free games every month but i havent really seen them doing anything to make those users actually start spending money on the store

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
That's been happening forever in videogames, why is it different now?

Correction: It's been happening forever in consoles. Why is it different now? Because it's never happened on PC, until Epic came along and tried to strong arm users to use their inferior storefront.

This has been talked about to death. People welcome competition, but it's got to be competition that benefits the customer. Free games are great, but that doesn't make me forget that Epic literally paid to take games away from Steam. In the early goings these were games that were due to release on Steam, and got pulled, because they paid off big publishers. You think that's not going to leave a sour taste in the mouths of players?

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
These are not particularly bad.

When in 2020, your sales amount for barely 265 millions dollars in a year of a pandemic which made the entire sector sees huge growth, that is a terrible result. On top of that, during the very same year, their MAU number dropped by 5 millions.

Also in the span of 2 years and a half, that means they lost nearly 600 millions dollars so far. Yet their growth is laughable. Yet they cant even get people to buy games on their store.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
People aren't buying shit on their store and its completely understandable. Take the free games, maybe buy a few games when they are dirt cheap with those coupons, and otherwise wait on the games exclusive to the store to hit Steam a year later so you can use a platform that doesn't fuckin suck. Its clear them brute forcing their way into the PC market ain't working. I don't see their trajectory changing when people just aren't spending money on their store. They aren't magically gonna start getting those customers if they couldn't with the free games and deep discounts.

Last edited:

TortadeJamon

Banned
Dec 23, 2018

They've had some very good sales and coupons over the years. If that can't attract repeat customers, what will? A better store and client, maybe?

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
When in 2020, your sales amount for barely 265 millions dollars in a year of a pandemic which made the entire sector sees huge growth, that is a terrible result. On top of that, during the very same year, their MAU number dropped by 5 millions.
Eh, it's new and heavily subsidized.

Not saying it's doing gangbusters or even particularly well, but these numbers aren't crazy.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017

Not saying it's doing gangbusters or even particularly well, but these numbers aren't crazy.

As you said, it's heavily subsidized:
Free games every week, 10 dollars coupons every time. And yet they have a huge issue to convert those people into buyers.
Looking at their top selling chart, when you see months old low profile releases charting without any discounts, it tells you everything about their fairly low sale volume.

Doskoi Panda

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Personally I think EGS being profitable by 2023 is being very optimistic unless they seriously plan on cutting back on exclusives and freebies, and even then I have serious doubts that people picking up free games or being forced to buy from the EGS are going to buy stuff on EGS over other superior storefronts/platforms.
They expect EGS to have its first profitable year in 2023. They don't expect EGS to have been profitable until 2027.

Milk

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It is incredible how much some people on this website REALLY don't want Steam to have a competitor in the same space.
I don't. I like my gaming being consolidated into one comfy platform. Steam is the PC platform. I wouldn't want multiple storefronts on my Xbox and I don't like it on my PC.

Having games I'm interested in locked outside of the comfy Steam bubble is, in fact, annoying.

If people don't care about where they play and "games are games" etc then good for them. Games are even better when they're supported by a good platform.

Teddie28

Nov 2, 2017
Their store offers zero reason to purchase an evenly priced title from EGS instead of steam. Until that happens, they will keep bleeding money from coupons and free games.

Deleted member 43

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017
As you said, it's heavily subsidized:
Free games every week, 10 dollars coupons every time. And yet they have a huge issue to convert those people into buyers.
Looking at their top selling chart, when you see months old low profile releases charting without any discounts, it tells you everything about their fairly low sale volume.
Yeah, I don't disagree that it's a new store that is spending heavily and losing money.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I prefer steam and find the strong arm tactics of Epic to be dubious at best, especially their actions against Google/Apple over the same issue. Had they simply delivered a good product i'd be inclined to check them out. This is a classic case of just brute forcing yourself into a market. Losing half a billion is when it's all said and done, peanuts.

Nzyme32

Oct 28, 2017
They've had some very good sales and coupons over the years. If that can't attract repeat customers, what will? A better store and client, maybe?

That's what a lot of people have been awaiting, but the issue now is compounded as there is far far less trust that they will maintain such an endeavour based on all they've said and managed to do so far. Personally, it would take years of consistent demonstrable improvement and iteration for me to actually decided to buy there - to have trust that the purchases I make will have the level of service, utility and additive value over time from their platform. (And it would probably help if some of the free games I received were actually retrievable in the first place and not locked behind an error that they haven't resolved)

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't spent a single cent on their store, I just log in every week to get my free game that I'll probably never play.

From what I know it's normal for them to be bleeding money but I wonder if that will actually change in 2 years.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017

Issue is that they are spending huge amount of money and not moving needle at all. If we ignore their loses they don't have results to show either. They are growing userbase but that userbase is not spending money at all. Just check 202 vs. 2019. Huge user base growth, barely any spending on 3rd party games growth. That is big issue because they will need to stop paying developers in advance and developers will need to earn money from the Store by actually selling their games to customers and not to Epic.

Dralos

Oct 26, 2017
thier biggest product is f2p and they keep giving free games every month but i havent really seen them doing anything to make those users actually start spending money on the store
yeah the dont improve the store at all. still no social feature. oh wait they actually removed the user status option lately...

Deleted member 12867

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I could see it paying off in the end. I know there are tons of awesome features and research that steam does, but I honestly rarely take advantage of any of it outside of Steam workshop. Epic has done a good job of beefing up my library were I'm way less resistant to only buying steam than I was pre EGS. I'm sure there are a lot of people who love all the awesome extra things steam does that are cringing reading this, but I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people like me too.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I could see it paying off in the end. I know there are tons of awesome features and research that steam does, but I honestly rarely take advantage of any of it outside of Steam workshop. Epic has done a good job of beefing up my library were I'm way less resistant to only buying steam than I was pre EGS. I'm sure there are a lot of people who love all the awesome extra things steam does that are cringing reading this, but I'm willing to bet there are a lot of people like me too.

If game is sold on both stores at the same date for the same price why would you pic Epic Store version? That is what will happen in the end (there will probably be few exclusives that are published by Epic like new Remedy game or Playdead one).

hersheyfan