• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Gestault

Oct 26, 2017
Some interesting info in there. Assuming their business plan was built around those losses and they're roughly on schedule, I think some people are underestimating what intended losses during the investment phase of a platform can look like.

OP
OP
CommodoreKong

CommodoreKong

Oct 25, 2017
I don't even see the people there getting the free games actually playing those free games. Its anecdotal but i know very few people who have touched one of the free games that epic offered, but nearly everyone gets them. Same goes for coupons. I've used one so far because of an exclusive game.
Yeah I always never play freebies since if they get to that point I've probably already bought the game if I'm interested in it. I imagine you see people with less disposable income play freebies more often.

HaremKing

Banned
Dec 20, 2018
People acting like pissing away 500 million is normal for a company. Especially on something like EGS where all the money doesn't appear to be doing anything whatsoever. Just look at the thread that discussed the public numbers Epic put out for the year 2020. What the hell has has half a billion dollars gotten them?

www.resetera.com

Epic Games Store 2020 Year in Review

https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/epic-games-store-2020-year-in-review Compare that to last year https://www.epicgames.com/store/en-US/news/epic-games-store-weekly-free-games-in-2020

Oct 25, 2017
12% covers the operating cost, but what profit are they making from that? Presumably the answer is not a lot seeing as they're not willing to swallow some payment fees like other stores do, so the question is then going to become how much will it eventually get bumped by. That 12% has been a decent hammer to have a go at other stores' fees but I can't see it staying that low.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Some interesting info in there. Assuming their business plan was built around those losses and they're roughly on schedule, I think some people are underestimating what intended losses during the investment phase of a platform can look like.

The problem is that EGS didn't had any growth during COVID, when every platform achieved new records. Game Pass is losing money but is getting a lot of new users, EGS isn't.

It is incredible how much some people on this website REALLY don't want Steam to have a competitor in the same space.

I would assume when you're trying to open a PC storefront to compete with Steam... it's going to be extremely expensive upfront to pry some users out of their normal habits. But as the users grow, eventually they start to make more money and maybe it's possible to be profitable by 2023.

Also, who cares if Epic is burning their own money to give you free games? It seems like consumers would be happy about that... lol.

Maybe because they just make Steam users wait a year to play some games?

Because they certainly aren't "changing habits" according to EGS itself.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
It is whatever because an edge case of bum users don't mean much in the face of achievements and a solid subscription service. It's not better than Steam at everything but they're a great alternative.

Talk about fucking hand waving. To say that it happens to so few is being disingenuous at best. The fact that MS and Xbox is pushing it so hard and this is built into so many machines (because it's built into Windows 10), it's not a small number. Even if you say 10% of people are affected by the W10 Store issues with programs, that can still amount to millions of people. But you know...

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Talk about fucking hand waving. To say that it happens to so few is being disingenuous at best. The fact that MS and Xbox is pushing it so hard and this is built into so many machines (because it's built into Windows 10), it's not a small number. Even if you say 10% of people are affected by the W10 Store issues with programs, that can still amount to millions of people. But you know...
I mean, I'm pretty much dismissing anyone with issues where the root is in not staying up to date or using delivery optimization which functions as intended though I obviously don't use it which leaves who left? People that want to get into encrypted games? Yeah, I can pretty much handwave it as irrelevant.

mephixto

Oct 25, 2017
The 12% cut on EGS is just a promo, they gonna increse the cut sooner or later, it unsustainable in the long term.

EllipsisBreak

One Winged Slayer
Aug 6, 2019
One way or another, Epic will need to convince a lot of people to start buying games on EGS that aren't exclusive and aren't being sold at a loss. As it stands, that's going to be difficult.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
12% covers the operating cost, but what profit are they making from that? Presumably the answer is not a lot seeing as they're not willing to swallow some payment fees like other stores do, so the question is then going to become how much will it eventually get bumped by. That 12% has been a decent hammer to have a go at other stores' fees but I can't see it staying that low.

They can't change it because it's all they have going for their store. Right now, Epic isn't in it for the profitability. They're just trying to displace Steam even a little and ensure that for future PC players Epic is as established a name as Steam is today.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
The 12% cut on EGS is just a promo, they gonna increse the cut sooner or later, it unsustainable in the long term.
Literally on their website.

"What's the catch? Is this 88% revenue share a special introductory rate?
There is no catch; the 88% share to the developer is the permanent rate. Epic's 12% share covers the operating costs of the store and makes us a profit."

www.epicgames.com

Publish Apps, Games and Software on the Epic Games Store.

Learn how to publish apps, games and software on the Epic Games Store to access over 100M players on PC and Mac.

Armchair business analysts doing the most.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
Because it's exacly the same platform. And sometimes the games already had Steam pages, used Steam features or day 1 keys were promised on KS (it really hurted Shenmue 3 on PC).
Sure, this happens on consoles as well. Games announced for all platforms and then platforms "mysteriously" disappear and show back up a year or so later after release. You just don't like "exclusives?"

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'm pretty much dismissing anyone with issues where the root is in not staying up to date or using delivery optimization which functions as intended though I obviously don't use it which leaves who left? People that want to get into encrypted games? Yeah, I can pretty much handwave it as irrelevant.

I've had to get into those folders due to the delivery method of the W10 Store being a piece of shit. I've had at least two separate instances where the W10 store refused to install or uninstall a program properly. To the point where I've had to go search in that secure folder to specifically delete that folder to be able to install the game again. I've also had a game where the W10 Store version literally uninstalled all local data files twice without me knowing or wanting to do so. So if we're talking about delivery optimization, W10 Store has a bunch of issues. And I'm someone who updated all Windows update files and drivers.

To add a bit more, I'm glad GP is on PC and it's a good alternative, but when the thing it's based on to work (specifically on PC and more specifically W10 Store) doesn't work properly all the time and causes different issues, then it's not cool to just hand wave it. If it works for you or someone else, all good to you, but that doesn't lessen the myriad of issues it still and always has had.

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
Sure, this happens on consoles as well. Games announced for all platforms and then platforms "mysteriously" disappear and show back up a year or so later after release. You just don't like "exclusives?"

Yeah, and people have the right to not buy the games until they are on their favorite platform. I don't like exclusives on PC, I know they are important for consoles sales.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't unless happen on consoles unless there's alternative stores on PlayStation itself that sells games without trophies, or PSN. Console exclusivity one way or another either means you get the benefits of the PlayStation or Xbox ecosystems. Epic is unique in offering nothing.
I've had to get into those folders due to the delivery method of the W10 Store being a piece of shit. I've had at least two separate instances where the W10 store refused to install or uninstall a program properly. To the point where I've had to go search in that secure folder to specifically delete that folder to be able to install the game again. I've also had a game where the W10 Store version literally uninstalled all local data files twice without me knowing or wanting to do so. So if we're talking about delivery optimization, W10 Store has a bunch of issues. And I'm someone who updated all Windows update files and drivers.

To add a bit more, I'm glad GP is on PC and it's a good alternative, but when the thing it's based on to work (specifically on PC and more specifically W10 Store) doesn't work properly all the time and causes different issues, then it's not cool to just hand wave it. If it works for you or someone else, all good to you, but that doesn't lessen the myriad of issues it still and always has had.
lol, delivery optimization is a literal windows feature that by design prevents software from being removed from your device's storage because it's a delivery machine itself to your own devices. That experience isn't valid

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
I don't really have strong opinions on the matter, as I don't play a ton of PC games. I do logon to Epic and claim the occasional free game if it interests me, but I probably won't actually be buying anything until they match some of Steams features, mainly Steam Input and Remote Streaming. I honestly don't know if they are even planning on implementing that kind of stuff.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
I don't really have strong opinions on the matter, as I don't play a ton of PC games. I do logon to Epic and claim the occasional free game if it interests me, but I probably won't actually be buying anything until they match some of Steams features, mainly Steam Input and Remote Streaming. I honestly don't know if they are even planning on implementing that kind of stuff.

Not any time soon. Sweeney has stated that they're not interested in competing on client features and instead plan to go about it primarily through pricing and exclusivity.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017

There is no catch; the 88% share to the developer is the permanent rate. Epic's 12% share covers the operating costs of the store and makes us a profit."

www.epicgames.com

Learn how to publish apps, games and software on the Epic Games Store to access over 100M players on PC and Mac.

Plans can change.

"makes us a profit"

Clearly that didn't pan out as we see from making half a billion loss.

Epic already has changed to charge extra payment fees (over 3%) from developers

nytgOTG.png

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
lol, delivery optimization is a literal windows feature that by design prevents games from being removed from your device's storage because it's a delivery machine itself to your own devices.

There was a good month (at least) where PSO2 would just uninstall itself, making you delete the old folders and reinstall entirely. This was when it was on the W10 Store before the Steam version.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

www.epicgames.com

They also promised they would fight against videogame devaluation by not having too many sales. Things change.

I personally thing that change would be a last thing to do if they are super established and have a captive audience,, but wont really happen. Mainly because they build their entire PR on that (and their lawsuit against Apple).

PepeElToro

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Does it really tho?

BasilZero

Oct 25, 2017
Omni
How about you put more effort into actually improving your platform instead of just throwing money at free games and exclusives people will just wait out anyway?

The EGS itself doesn't really have much to offer and they don't really seem interested in changing that.

How is controller support still lacking as bad as it is?

Forget controller support for now , they don't even have a shopping cart - something every other store has

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Plans can change.

"makes us a profit"

Clearly that didn't pan out as we see from making half a billion loss.

Epic already has changed to charge extra payment fees (over 3%) from developers

nytgOTG.png
You don't know what you're talking about.

"Makes them a profit" in terms of the operating costs, not the costs of their other ventures in terms of promotions, exclusivities, and free giveaways. That's where the money drain is. The 12% is covering the servers, store developers, etc.

The extra payment fees are for the CUSTOMERS not the developers. The 12% is the royalty/cut taken by Epic for launching on their store. The 3% is like a tax the GAME PURCHASING CUSTOMER is charged.

Madjoki

Oct 25, 2017
"Makes them a profit" in terms of the operating costs, not the costs of their other ventures in terms of promotions, exclusivities, and free giveaways. That's where the money drain is. The 12% is covering the servers, store developers, etc.

The extra payment fees are for the CUSTOMERS not the developers. The 12% is the royalty/cut taken by Epic for launching on their store. The 3% is like a tax the GAME PURCHASING CUSTOMER is charged.

Maybe try reading the quote from EGS developer agreement I attached?

eonden

Oct 25, 2017

That was changed later on to be charged on the dev side. Read the post you quote.

elyetis

Oct 26, 2017
Hopefully it does not improve for them if as I expect, their sole objective it to convince publisher to end up choosing the exclusivity route but without the need to pay for it ( in addition to convince more developper to enter the Unreal engine ecosystem ).

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody has any issues with games on the Xbox app
Honestly, this exposes how the Epic hatred makes no sense.

Microsoft is trying to lock down access to files on your PC to kill modding, and every time someone subs to Game Pass they get one step further to their goal. When Microsoft Store takes over and kills Steam, you can kiss modding goodbye. And Epic is the bad guy here??

Nacho

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
A lot of interesting info and specifics here, but in general, nothing that we didn't really know. Epic is being incredibnly aggressive to carve out their market share from nothing. That's not free.

The hot takes in this thread make my head hurt.

mephixto

Oct 25, 2017

www.epicgames.com

EGS is not located in Wonderland were probably the operating cost stay the same forever. In planet Earth operating cost goes up from time to time and if you plan to get bigger as Epic probably wants the cost are gonna start to pile up. More data centers, more bandwith, more etc. It's just matter of time and ofc if EGS grows.

That 12% gonna increase.

SirKai

Dec 28, 2017
Washington

If Epic has to tax on extra taxes/charges for customers, then the 12% cut they take isn't sustainable is it (at least for all regions)?

Soviet

Oct 28, 2017
Where's the bit about the money? I can't find it in the document and it seems crazy high.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if this factors in the Hundreds of thousands they probably lose during sales with that $10 off coupon, because AFAIK It's cut from their 12% not the Dev's Cut.

IIRC someone mentioned something like that back during the first winter sale, that EGS would give developers the full cut of their sale price, even if the $10 off was applied to said purchase

MrNelson

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even see the people there getting the free games actually playing those free games. Its anecdotal but i know very few people who have touched one of the free games that epic offered, but nearly everyone gets them. Same goes for coupons. I've used one so far because of an exclusive game.
I'm definitely in that basket. I claim the free games, but have yet to touch any of them. I've bought one game from them (Predator), and only because I wasn't a fan of how it ran on PS4 and Epic was the only place to get it. The only real use I get out of the Epic launcher is tracking how much time I spend playing Magic Arena, a free to play game that can be downloaded and played without their launcher, but I only use there because I like tracking that kind of stuff.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if this factors in the Hundreds of thousands they probably lose during sales with that $10 off coupon, because AFAIK It's cut from their 12% not the Dev's Cut.

IIRC someone mentioned something like that back during the first winter sale, that EGS would give developers the full cut of their sale price, even if the $10 off was applied to said purchase

That is how it works and they lose money on each sale below like 90$ if coupon is used.

GrantDaNasty

Oct 27, 2017
Epic can't keep this up forever, and they want that market share in the next 1-2 years, not 5 or 10.

Either they get another Fortnite to bring users over, or EGS will change dramatically soon enough.

rac

Oct 25, 2017

i wonder why people would dislike a store that is paying for exclusivity of games that were planned for steam and then sell them on a store on the same platform with worse features for the sole purpose of gaining market share

Iron Eddie

Banned
Nov 25, 2019
Sounds like the same thing Microsoft is doing with Game Pass.
Doesn't stop the weekly threads extolling the greatness of GP and how big a success it is and how everyone else should adopt it

One is trying to use timed exclusive deals and free games as way to deter you from using Steam. The other is simply giving consumers more value as an option. You two can surely see the difference from a consumers point of view or are you telling me you prefer to pay $60 or $70 to play MLB The Show on PlayStation and not be given an option to play on a monthly subscription?

The answer is obvious, many here would love Sony to offer the same of putting new games in a monthly package but instead of saying yes that would be great, it's instead turned into that doesn't make financial sense for Sony as though we care more about that. Nobody also makes the same arghument about hardware and how Sony at times takes a loss on that.

cowbanana

Feb 2, 2018
a Socialist Utopia
I haven't bought anything on EGS and I never will. But I keep adding the free games to the account I never use. I like that it costs Tim money. Keep burning that cash.

Profitable in 2023? LMAO!

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017
They can't keep paying for exclusives and be profitable. Maybe 1-2 big ones per year but not at the current level. And they can't keep giving 10$ off coupons because they lose money on each sale below 90$ that way. And when you remove those things they will become just another store and issue is that instead of selling keys for other platforms that handle rest they will need to handle everything so they won't earn that much money from it.

They don't need to be so long as they continue to pull in active users regularly. IFeven a small percentage of new users sign up for Fortnite and buy v bucks,EGS is working in favor of Epic's long term goals.

Deleted member 3038

Oct 25, 2017
That is how it works and they lose money on each sale below like 90$ if coupon is used.
Yeah there's no way that is helping matters at all, I know last year during the winter sale I must have used it for around $60 in savings, so the amount they lose during those sales could probably even be proportional to the money made by it.

dex3108

Oct 26, 2017
They don't need to be so long as they continue to pull in active users regularly. IFeven a small percentage of new users sign up for Fortnite and buy v bucks,EGS is working in favor of Epic's long term goals.

Fortnite is separate from Epic Store, and if they want to have successful store they need to make people spend money on 3rd party titles and so far they are doing bad job with that. Developers and publishers will stop releasing games there if there are no sales.