• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Intraxidance

Oct 25, 2017
As a consumer I feel no need to spend money on the EGS. If I have the choice between Steam/EGS, I always go Steam. If it's an EGS timed exclusive, I have no problem waiting for a Steam release, that may also be at a discount.

EGS just provides no value to me, besides the free games.

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I think it's time to shift the EGS loss away from free games towards having better deals. Especially for games that are about half a year old and also on Steam.

Another big thing that keeps me buying on Steam despite having an actual positive attitude towards the EGS is that the mod support is almost always for the Steam version of games and Steam has Steam Workshop. What could get peoples' attention is an in-game advantage for games on the EGS that Steam doesn't offer.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Idk about epic being profitable in 2 years. According to their numbers the average a user spent last year in third party games was less than 2 or 3$. Its more likely they shut down the store if the fortnite hype dies.
Why would they shut down the store instead of rolling back on coupons and free monthly games?

UE4 and UE5 are going to be still hugely used engines in the industry and the relatively small cut they take when you use UE and publish on the EGS is surely attractive to developers and publishers.

As mentioned, the UE royalties is enough *right now* to cover the EGS costs. That revenue will only continue to grow as more and more titles use Unreal and launch on the storefront. All this cost is coming from the freebies and promotions to gain market share.

eonden

Oct 25, 2017
Eh, people need to differentiate between EGS lossing money and Epic lossing money. This is just a subdivision of Epic lossing money (a ton) in trying to gain a foothold on a market. It is still a ton of money, but Epic as a whole is probably still profitable, considering they earned 400M+ in revenue from Fortnite PC alone last year.

Pancracio17

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
EGS just isnt catching up to steam in terms of features. Its almost the same store it was a year ago.

ramoisdead

Oct 25, 2017
If they couldn't make bank during a pandemic where people were forced to be indoors for their own safety, I'm seriously pessimistic about them (I mean EGS) being profitable around 2023.

mugurumakensei

Elizabeth, I’m coming to join you!
Oct 25, 2017
eh, seems like the target is profitability by 2027. I can appreciate the long term thinking though I think it also has the implications that it's gonna take 2-3 years still to flesh out EGS.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
The active users are higher than I thought, though I guess that would also include Fortnite players right?

Does it have anything to do with the free games they have been giving away for the past 2 years?

well yes, partially at least. They do have to pay those developers after all.

Vark

Oct 27, 2017
Having also been blocked from fortnite on IOS I wonder what their books are looking like? All of this has got to be hitting their profitably

Hard to tell since they're a private company, and this is an older article but:

venturebeat.com

Epic Games unveils $1.78 billion funding round at $17.3 billion valuation

Fortnite maker Epic Games announced a $1.78 billion funding round at a $17.3 billion valuation. That includes a previous investment from Sony.

Sounds like 4.2 billion in revenue in 2019 and 5 billion forecasted for 2020? (Looks like Fortnite on iOS according to Google and sensor tower was doing ~48 million a month on iOS worldwide. So that's what 200 million loss in 2020 from sept - December.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Curious, to go along with this, has Fortnite been losing money as well?

Because I still strongly believe that all of this EGS stuff would not have come to fruition if it wasn't for the success of Fortnite.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
how on earth has this thread already reached Gamepass is unsustainable talking points lol.

I really wonder if the investment in this is going to play out long-term. But I guess if they have the cash to burn 🤷🏽‍♂️

SunshinePuppies

One Winged Slayer
Nov 14, 2020
Am I missing something? Isn't it perfectly fine for them to be losing that much? A lot of companies and services lose money with the promise of recouping later, how is this any different?

On top of this, Fortnite alone can more than support this, right? Where's the issue here?

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
Sounds like the store is gonna get closed the second Fortnite stops subsidizing it

Buckle

Oct 27, 2017
How about you put more effort into actually improving your platform instead of just throwing money at free games and exclusives people will just wait out anyway?

The EGS itself doesn't really have much to offer and they don't really seem interested in changing that.

How is controller support still lacking as bad as it is?

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
how on earth has this thread already reached Gamepass is unsustainable talking points lol.
It is incredible how much some people on this website REALLY don't want Steam to have a competitor in the same space.

I would assume when you're trying to open a PC storefront to compete with Steam... it's going to be extremely expensive upfront to pry some users out of their normal habits. But as the users grow, eventually they start to make more money and maybe it's possible to be profitable by 2023.

Also, who cares if Epic is burning their own money to give you free games? It seems like consumers would be happy about that... lol.

Syriel

Banned
Dec 13, 2017
EGS not beginning to make profit until 2023 is insane, but the store as a whole not going to make cumulative gross profit on all the investment up to that point, until 2027, is utterly bananas. I know there's planning for the long game, but Jesus Christ.

That kind of timeline is not unusual in tech.

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
The filing says game sales are fully covering their operating costs. So it's not like they're bringing in no money. They're just spending a ton beyond that on freebies and exclusives.

This is exactly what MS is doing with Gamepass. It's shitty and unsustainable in both cases. They're probably both eventually gonna cut back. Gamepass sub costs will rise, and Epic will either ditch the freebies and exclusives, or start taking a larger cut of sales. And in the meantime, all the free shit drives down prices for smaller indie devs that don't luck out and get chosen for these deals.
The game sales covering operating costs is a drop in the bucket compared to the money they're spending on the promotions and freebies and exclusives.

MS is absolutely not doing the same thing. They are paying a bunch to get games from third parties onto Game Pass in addition to their normal sales, with the expectation that users will remain subscribed and essentially subsidize the costs of signing the deals. You still need to pay $10 to access those games.
Epic is betting that you will buy from their store if you get hooked through free games. You have to pay NOTHING to take on Epic's offer.

It would only be the same if MS was giving away free games to try and get people to buy an Xbox / use the Windows Store more. It's not the same.

They are similar in that they are slinging around a lot of money to entice users, sure, but there is a big difference in business models. I don't think anyone expects Epic to still be giving out freebies 6 years down the road.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Why would they shut down the store instead of rolling back on coupons and free monthly games?

UE4 and UE5 are going to be still hugely used engines in the industry and the relatively small cut they take when you use UE and publish on the EGS is surely attractive to developers and publishers.

As mentioned, the UE royalties is enough *right now* to cover the EGS costs. That revenue will only continue to grow as more and more titles use Unreal and launch on the storefront. All this cost is coming from the freebies and promotions to gain market share.
Because i dont think that alone would be enough. We're talking about 450M. Epic is not spending over 1M dollars a day on free games that most people dont play and on coupons that most people dont use. I guess buying exclusives would be the rest but can they stop with those? Becauae the 2-3dollars that users spent on average on third party games on EGS was probably like 95% on exclusives. Sure the UE royalties might be enough to cover thd cost for a long time but at some point things may not be worth it. I dont know if this reads as if i want EGS to go down but its not. I couldnt care less. Im just saying that i dont see it being profitable in 2023 and im explaining why.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
It is incredible how much some people on this website REALLY don't want Steam to have a competitor in the same space.

I would assume when you're trying to open a PC storefront to compete with Steam... it's going to be extremely expensive upfront to pry some users out of their normal habits. But as the users grow, eventually they start to make more money and maybe it's possible to be profitable by 2023.

Also, who cares if Epic is burning their own money to give you free games? It seems like consumers would be happy about that... lol.
Nobody has any issues with games on the Xbox app; frankly even Origin brought stuff to the table like preempting Steam with refunds, preempting Microsoft with having a game subscription service, and offering old games. What does Epic bring to the table? Fucking coupons?

Loanshark

Nov 8, 2017
As a consumer I feel no need to spend money on the EGS. If I have the choice between Steam/EGS, I always go Steam. If it's an EGS timed exclusive, I have no problem waiting for a Steam release, that may also be at a discount.

EGS just provides no value to me, besides the free games.
I mean, 6-10 free games a month seems kind of great value to me. I get that gamers are spoiled, but hopefully not that spoiled.

Patapuf

Oct 26, 2017
The filing says game sales are fully covering their operating costs. So it's not like they're bringing in no money. They're just spending a ton beyond that on freebies and exclusives.

This is exactly what MS is doing with Gamepass. It's shitty and unsustainable in both cases. They're probably both eventually gonna cut back. Gamepass sub costs will rise, and Epic will either ditch the freebies and exclusives, or start taking a larger cut of sales. And in the meantime, all the free shit drives down prices for smaller indie devs that don't luck out and get chosen for these deals.

The key difference between the two though is that epic seems to struggle to convert their MAU into paying customers. And, unlike gamepass, their product isn't very appealing yet.

I see gamepass still having sucess if they double the price. I don't see that path for epic once they stop with their freebies. There's obviously still time until 2023 though.

Tbm24

Oct 25, 2017
Am I missing something? Isn't it perfectly fine for them to be losing that much? A lot of companies and services lose money with the promise of recouping later, how is this any different?

On top of this, Fortnite alone can more than support this, right? Where's the issue here?
Folks mostly focus on money lost and assume that says it all. Epic is spending more money so they lost more, regardless of 2020 being high on game sales everywhere(generally speaking I'm sure it was bad in some places/platforms).

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Because i dont think that alone would be enough. We're talking about 450M. Epic is not spending over 1M dollars a day on free games that most people dont play and on coupons that most people dont use. I guess buying exclusives would be the rest but can they stop with those? Becauae the 2-3dollars that users spent on average on third party games on EGS was probably like 95% on exclusives. Sure the UE royalties might be enough to cover thd cost for a long time but at some point things may not be worth it. I dont know if this reads as if i want EGS to go down but its not. I couldnt care less. Im just saying that i dont see it being profitable in 2023 and im explaining why.
I would lean to believe the business folk with the data to have an idea of an estimation on when it will be profitable...

The amount of money they are projecting to lose this year is trending upwards even compared to their first year, and especially last year. That's a sign of either change in strategy or sign of growth in terms of userbase/purchases.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
MS is absolutely not doing the same thing. They are paying a bunch to get games from third parties onto Game Pass in addition to their normal sales, with the expectation that users will remain subscribed and essentially subsidize the costs of signing the deals. You still need to pay $10 to access those games.
Epic is betting that you will buy from their store if you get hooked through free games. You have to pay NOTHING to take on Epic's offer.

Also, in terms of optics, what Microsoft is offering is additive to the landscape from my perspective as a consumer/player. They're giving people more options to play games rather than limiting them. This has been a major factor for myself at least. Despite disliking the Xbox app, I can appreciate what they're bringing to the table with GP. That's a stark contrast to Epic's "our way or the highway" strategy for getting me onto their service.

Last edited:

Squirrel09

Nov 4, 2017
In this thread, Individual shocked that companies can leverage debt and equity to operate at a loss to gain market share.

Oct 27, 2017
Game Pass making people mad will never stop to amaze me
so people shouldn't be happy about the value GP brings?
Game Pass doesn't make me mad. The threads asking why everyone else isn't doing it (then ignoring the stated reasons they aren't), only for the same discussion to be repeated again in another thread later, are what makes me annoyed. GP being a success of failure doesn't affect me, neither do people who believe it's a good value for them.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
You can get PC games on it so... yes?

edit: "I'm not a PC gamer" and you're authoritatively saying that people don't want a competitor to steam lol
Just read the thread, lol. Or any thread with "Epic Games Store" in the title. You don't need to play games on PC to be able to read...

Alright! First time I've heard someone mention the Xbox App on PC as a Steam competitor, I'll note that going forward, thanks!

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
These kinds of long timelines aren't too unusual when you're trying to build marketshare in a new or developed space. Epic are still making plenty of money so these losses aren't too bad in the short term. The issue is that I don't see masses of people suddenly becoming full time buyers on Epic. I've bought stuff there but the store is still just clunky enough that I'd rather use almost anything else.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
Tech company lights a bunch of cash on fire to pursue growth, news at 11.

As long as their investors are on board there's really nothing to see here. This is the norm.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
Nobody has any issues with games on the Xbox app

Xbox App on PC relies on the W10 Store and the W10 Store still sucks. I've had my own list of issues with it and it's pretty much why I won't get anything on the W10 Store/Xbox GP for PC. To say that nobody has any issues with the App is way too broad of a stroke. If you mean that it's fine that the games are on the store itself? Yes, that's fine and I don't think people have issues for that. But please be specific when saying that line.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Yeah I agree, I just don't see a large number of people there to get free games converting to paying customers.
I don't even see the people there getting the free games actually playing those free games. Its anecdotal but i know very few people who have touched one of the free games that epic offered, but nearly everyone gets them. Same goes for coupons. I've used one so far because of an exclusive game.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
Just read the thread, lol. Or any thread with "Epic Games Store" in the title. You don't need to play games on PC to be able to read...

Alright! First time I've heard someone mention the Xbox App on PC as a Steam competitor, I'll note that going forward, thanks!
I have read this thread, and other PC gaming threads including Epic related ones; the common thread is that people dislike *Epic* they don't dislike other alternatives to Steam.
Xbox App on PC relies on the W10 Store and the W10 Store still sucks. I've had my own list of issues with it and it's pretty much why I won't get anything on the W10 Store/Xbox GP for PC. To say that nobody has any issues with the App is way too broad of a stroke. If you mean that it's fine that the games are on the store itself? Yes, that's fine and I don't think people have issues for that. But please be specific when saying that line.
Content delivery being bad for some people because they have delivery optimization in Windows enabled for some reason or behind on updates is whatever.

Rayman not Ray

Self-requested ban
Banned
Feb 27, 2018
Tech company lights a bunch of cash on fire to pursue growth, news at 11.

As long as their investors are on board there's really nothing to see here. This is the norm.

It's the same playbook as every other startup. Undercut the competition on price (or in this case, with free games), keep pulling in those VC bucks, and eventually IPO.

SolidSnakeUS

Oct 25, 2017
I have read this thread, and other PC gaming threads including Epic related ones; the common thread is that people dislike *Epic* they don't dislike other alternatives to Steam.
Content delivery being bad for some people is whatever.

It's not whatever. Why pay for something that constantly has issues that MS refuses to actually fix? And not only that, while they have moved to Win32 with a lot of programs, they lock their installs behind a secure folder that would require some form of technical knowledge on how to get through. This should never ever be the case. I still feel that MS put their games on Steam as a way to ignore the problems with the W10 Store.

Zomba13

#1 Waluigi Fan! Current Status: Crying
Oct 25, 2017
EGS just isnt catching up to steam in terms of features. Its almost the same store it was a year ago.

I forgot they were even adding features. I mean, we got Achievements and Cloud Saves right? Still no basket, though I guess I agree with Epic there, I'm not buying multiple games from them, I'm redeeming the weekly free game, I don't need a basket on Epic.

Glad Steam has one though, would've made buying like, 8 Final Fantasy games a few weeks a go an absolute pain and likely flagged my card with my bank.

disparate

Oct 25, 2017
It's not whatever. Why pay for something that constantly has issues that MS refuses to actually fix? And not only that, while they have moved to Win32 with a lot of programs, they lock their installs behind a secure folder that would require some form of technical knowledge on how to get through. This should never ever be the case. I still feel that MS put their games on Steam as a way to ignore the problems with the W10 Store.
It is whatever because an edge case of bum users don't mean much in the face of achievements and a solid subscription service. It's not better than Steam at everything but they're a great alternative.