Elshoelace

Oct 25, 2017

When even the godlike players at TDS found Magna to be more than a handful, I don't feel so bad about the big kitty pounding my head into the dirt!

That's enough for me, though.

Wow, think Ill just wait til release. Didnt the Valstrax demo at least have a longer timer? I remember I managed to beat Val in the GU demo, but 15 mins seems pretty tight with demo builds.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Yeah. To anyone who got into MH from playing one of these types of demos, my question is "how". Without the gameplay loop it seems way more intimidating to learn.

I treated it like a boss fight. You get infinite tries with minimal down-time and no need to farm for materials if all the failed attempts eat up too many ressources. Once I got hooked on the "get carted -> get better -> get a kill -> get new record" core experience without any extra incentives from the gear-based progression system, I knew I'd enjoy the full game too.

It's an abnormally honest demo in that way.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
There are a bunch of arguable reasons for the tuned up fight and they're all pretty interesting. They really don't want you to win, but to fight him, lose, run out of tries, and then say "See you in the real game, Magnamalo, where we fight on my terms!". As a whole, as many many many people have said over and over, the demos are never representative of difficulty, etc, as they intentionally give you weak armor but strong weapons. It's just done as a way to build excitement for fighting with actual progression. It's a very interesting strategy, and it's primarily thanks to the sheer size of the audience - the vast majority of demo-players are returnees, so they 'can't' just create easy fights exclusively. It's why they've always offed 3 tiers; beginner friendly, challenging, and very challenging.

You can also tell they really don't want the average player to win with the clamped time limit forcing sheering aggression, which is almost certainly going to get players killed. Normally you'd have 50 minutes, not 15; at that pace, we could all certainly handle it slowly, taking our time to fight on our terms. That's what the full game'll be like!

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
The actual game is not that difficult. None of the MH games are particularly hard like that. Calling it an advanced hunt doesn't make it any less dumb to me. If you want to sell the game to people I don't see the point in putting the flagship monster in a hunt so purely unrepresentative of the actual game's difficulty.

Like go wild with it but I just think it is dumb.
they have done this with all the demos they have released for these games, and it hasn't affected their sales. Certainly didn't for World/Iceborne.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
have you checked twitch streams (they're dying a lot on this game lol) to see what their retry selection looks like?
I also had it on the Banner as the first choice. It is on "retry Area" in instances where the last checkpoint is the start of a new area though (like during boss fights)

Don't know why it is different for me. Could it be a difficulty thing? I'm playing on Squire.
If you fail a quest* or abandon a quest it resets you back to your pre-hunt conditions, so you get all your items back. Your consumables are only consumed if you complete the quest. Also consumables are so easy to get in the modern games it hardly matters. You pretty much have no chance of running out.

*Edit: Might be wrong on that one, as it's been forever since I've actually failed a quest. Either way, the Game doesn't auto save so you can always save scum if need be.
If you do wind up triple-carting and failing the quest, your consumed potions and whatnot are lost. But in the full game, there'll be an automatic farming mechanic which will generate consumable ingredients for you and it won't be long before you're hip deep in Mega Potions and the like. But if you choose to abandon the quest beforehand (like if you're in single-player mode and things are just going terribly), your consumables are restored when you get back to town.
I tend to horde consumables in RPGs, but in Monster Hunter I'll chug as many lifepowders and max potions as I need to survive. Crafting materials are pretty easy to replenish so it's not such a big deal.

Thanks guys!

Now I really want this one. Don't think I'll ever do mp since I'm a newb (just played a bit of Tri and a bit of World) and I don't have any friend to play games anymore unless it's FIFA lol.

I actually had it preordered, physical. Canceled it because was out of work but now I'm in a better position, still I'll see if I can get some money for my copies of Mario Party and Let's Go P., if I can get at least €40 total I'll go physical but I'd prefer to have this one digital since nowadays I only go physical for one and done games or the very few I want to collect.

TreIII

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Columbia, MD
Wow, think Ill just wait til release. Didnt the Valstrax demo at least have a longer timer? I remember I managed to beat Val in the GU demo, but 15 mins seems pretty tight with demo builds.

XX/GU's demo gave you 25 minutes, yeah. Just like 4U's gave you 25 for Gore.

But with World, they cut the time for the "Advanced" fights for Nergigante, and then Velkhana in Iceborne, to 15 minutes each. And the trend continued, here.

If you pick up enough endemic life his attacks will no longer one shot you. The problem is that by that point you have little over 10 minutes to actually fight him.

The best play throughs I've seen not only are super-efficient with play, they choose the best routes with picking up endemic life along the way.

Mixing in apt usages of wyvern riding also helps with taking off good chunks of Magna's life.

Absolute0

Oct 27, 2017
Doing this fight with this gear in less than 15 mins without having multiple wyvern rides to do all your damage for you is honestly more difficult than soloing Fatalis.

Igor

Oct 31, 2017
As my first Monster Hunter I properly spent my time with, I was expecting Magnamalo to hand my ass down and it did - while also sustaining 10 minutes of battle damaging him enough for it to start limping and before the first faint. So I left feeling victorious somewhat and the fight gave me a really fun first taste at monsters even tougher than Mizutsune.

I got the preorder of deluxe edition and considering getting a pro controller for this (or maybe an 8bitdo adapter for PS4) will be sufficient? Hoping to find an amiibo here in Germany too. Based off that first demo if it's the only game I play this year I'm happy.

btw how advanced is the armour we get in the demo?

Ozzie

One Winged Slayer
Jan 12, 2018
Maxmillion Dood streamed Advance quest for 4+ hours, nothing but failure. The guy was done, he was so drained lol.

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Yeah I've been spending 3-4 mins just picking up the health and defense permabuffers before even getting to Magnamalo, so I haven't been able to finish the hunt. At least I can manage to break its head before timing out. Can its tail be cut? I've been playing hunting horn so far.

Murr

Banned
Dec 5, 2019
As my first Monster Hunter I properly spent my time with, I was expecting Magnamalo to hand my ass down and it did - while also sustaining 10 minutes of battle damaging him enough for it to start limping and before the first faint. So I left feeling victorious somewhat and the fight gave me a really fun first taste at monsters even tougher than Mizutsune.

I got the preorder of deluxe edition and considering getting a pro controller for this (or maybe an 8bitdo adapter for PS4) will be sufficient? Hoping to find an amiibo here in Germany too. Based off that first demo if it's the only game I play this year I'm happy.

btw how advanced is the armour we get in the demo?

If you like the demo at all then, yeah, this will do for the entire year!

Historically, demo armor sets are just a normalized armour value between all weapons, with the looks of various armor sets (pulled from every stage of the game) applied on top to distinguish them, with no actual effect or difference. The 4U demo had the armor of the previous game's final boss in it, if I recall correctly! Armor skills are dummied out.

Yeah I've been spending 3-4 mins just picking up the health and defense permabuffers before even getting to Magnamalo, so I haven't been able to finish the hunt. At least I can manage to break its head before timing out. Can its tail be cut? I've been playing hunting horn so far.
Yeah, the largest blade on his tail can be severed. Since the group I ran it with timed out shortly after, it was tough to know how much it impacts his ability to, err, conduct business, since he seems to use it to direct the flames as well as for all the stabby stuff.

andymcc

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, OH
Thanks guys!

Now I really want this one. Don't think I'll ever do mp since I'm a newb (just played a bit of Tri and a bit of World) and I don't have any friend to play games anymore unless it's FIFA lol.

I actually had it preordered, physical. Canceled it because was out of work but now I'm in a better position, still I'll see if I can get some money for my copies of Mario Party and Let's Go P., if I can get at least €40 total I'll go physical but I'd prefer to have this one digital since nowadays I only go physical for one and done games or the very few I want to collect.

i think you had me post quoted from the GnG thread lol

CaptainK

Oct 29, 2017
Canada
Yeah, the largest blade on his tail can be severed. Since the group I ran it with timed out shortly after, it was tough to know how much it impacts his ability to, err, conduct business, since he seems to use it to direct the flames as well as for all the stabby stuff.
Nice, thank you! I'm still getting in the groove of bonking its head, but later I'll definitely pick up the switchaxe or something and practice chopping its tail.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
If you're having trouble with getting wiped in one hit, it actually doesn't take that much time to buff up first! Take the vine wall up where the jagras are, use the mountain path and hit up the forested safe zone too. It's all on the way, has tons of upgrade birds, as well as a wailnard and stinkmink so you can easily get a wyvern ride on the nearby rathian and even mizu later in the hunt if you play your cards right

You really shouldn't be getting insta killed by much, it'll be enough health to absorb a hit and immediately abuse the wirefall + mega potion combo

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
I don't have any issue with Magnamalo being difficult

It's labeled as an advanced hunt, so newcomers shouldn't be looking to it as a jumping in point.

Even during the presentation, they said they wanted to give you a taste of what Magnamalo is like before the full game. Obviously you have some cracked players like TDS that will be able to speed run this thing in 5 minutes after a day but I think it's exactly what they advertised. It's like a small sample of what to expect.

Pineconn

Oct 27, 2017
Ohio
The advanced quest should've been "slay or repel Magnamalo," where you still get a mission complete if you do at least 50% of its total health (or something). You don't get the satisfying kill, but you don't get a "haha quest failed noob" at the end. It's just plain off-putting, especially to newcomers.

otretas

Nov 1, 2017
Did they nerf the Hunting Horn at all? I don't mind the damage at all, but i wish like it bring less utility. Something like doing less stun damage, because it brings so much to the party

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
And I really hope that flinches don't end up in one shots like for example Ruiner Nergigante in Iceborn. "Here, have some thorns shooting out of my side. Now you're dead" If that happens again, and you basically end up just drinking potions after potion I'm done and go back to MHGU
It doesn;t attack after fliches like that. It has two attacks that look like flinches where it tries to fake you out.. One of which is incredibly weak (even in the demo, which means i imagine it's damage will be negligible in the full game) but kinda fast and the other is strong but takes a ton of time to come out. Both of them have tells that are pretty easily learned and are also easy to dodge.

DanteMenethil

Oct 25, 2017
Is it me or is the hunting horn disgustingly strong? Song maintenance is virtually non-existent and the new breakdance move hit hard af

Kinsei

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
You dont get a choice to play this mini game and you dont get invincibility when you're forced to get off.
But you weren't forced to get off? Launching the monster always results in a knockdown for what you are riding. If you wanted to get off safely all you had to do was hit Magnamalo with one more attack then pull off your punisher which would both knock Magnamalo down as well as cause Mizu to leave the area.

Forcing you to wyvern ride when you don;t want to is definitely a problem.

Rutger

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't even know there was an update to the demo, but don't know if I want to bother with it with if the difficulty is just the time limit and bad gear, haha.

Darkmaigle

Oct 25, 2017
yeah watching players who are easily like a hundred times better than me get stomped isnt really incentivizing me to try the new hunt ill just go mess around with the easier monsters lmao

TeraDax

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Québec
I must admit, I know I'm a average hunter, but damn, first time I carted that fast in a hunt (Only time comparable was against a event Alatreon we fought too early in MH3U)
Only after the second cart I was actually able to put up a "fight" and even then, that did not last long.

On the positive side, it made me use the wirebug a lot more for evading or putting some distances between us.

Tarpii

Oct 26, 2017
My preorder is in, but not feeling the need to try this demo. Weird choice to put such a hard hunt in there? The freedom unite demo got me hooked all those years ago , I failed the first few solo hunts but overcoming those hunts and feeling my performance improving was what sold me.

Wyze

Nov 15, 2018
But you weren't forced to get off? Launching the monster always results in a knockdown for what you are riding. If you wanted to get off safely all you had to do was hit Magnamalo with one more attack then pull off your punisher which would both knock Magnamalo down as well as cause Mizu to leave the area.

Forcing you to wyvern ride when you don;t want to is definitely a problem.
You are not forced to wyvern ride, though. You can wait while the monster gets out of ride status and use the downtime to heal and sharpen set traps etc...

But honestly why not take advantage of it. The game is designed around it like how Iceborne was designed around clutch claw.

viotech3

Jul 31, 2020
Maryland
You are not forced to wyvern ride, though. You can wait while the monster gets out of ride status and use the downtime to heal and sharpen set traps etc...

But honestly why not take advantage of it. The game is designed around it like how Iceborne was designed around clutch claw.
I typically just sharpen, hop on, hit into wall or even no wall, the end. Least it's not affecting hitzones and the staggers from it are far less strong! Granted actual attacking monsters is strong, but also fun! It's just a bit situational