Miamiwesker

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
this is literally the dumbest fucking case of ACTUAL "whataboutism" ive seen on this increasingly deranged US-propagandized site and it will be glossed over

we have an open call for invasion in the thread, tacit support of continuing (one of many) starvation embargoes for the purpose of "regime" change by the most actually authoritarian regime in the world (hint: it aint Cuba or North Korea lmao), apologism for the country respnsible for exporting more death, poverty, misery, and perennial destruction than any in history (hey remember that time in the 70's when the US govt infected the Cuban livestock supply and forced a mass slaughter of the island's swine? or chemically carpeted southeast asia resulting in birth defects to this day?), but yeah, a country with less people than fucking Ohio is just waiting to turn its commie bloodthirst out on the world if given the opportunity, but youll never see a "banned for racism" tag for this

and when those with an actual interest in nuance are decried with any number of incoherent screams of "ultras", "anarchists", "tankies" labels, all that's left is the thundering silent disinterest of those same detractors when their own ostensibly "free" country jails and openly murders people for protesting police brutality, oil companies who do more damage than any country south of the rio grande could dream of, or simply suggest that maybe the people in the richest country in both past and current history by unimaginable proportions shouldnt have to be in debt for the rest of their lives for riding an ambulance, except for a "damn that sucks, anyway THIS OTHER COUNTRY'S GOVERNMENT IS SOOOO EVIL AMIRITE??". Disgusting. Moronic. Shameful.

I constantly see people on this site make accusations of political repression, genocide, police states of countries and their people who they have no interest in beyond being on the "right" side of the (likely state-targeted) social media trend of the day, but pointing out the materially consequential hypocrisy of this ideology and "analysis" that leads nowhere but death and stupidity is labelled "whataboutism" and results in literal silencing

if someone's anecdotal evidence of cuban exiles is weaponized here, it's just another piece of evidence for "regime change"; take the word of people living there, and it's "brainwashed", "tankie", "propaganda" etc. etc. We have elected officials of both US parties, people and places that we ACTUALLY have a material connection to who are ostensibly in the interest of bettering the lives of people here AND abroad in places like Cuba, beating their chest with this imperialist bullshit to spring up nationalist fervor for their electoral campaign warchests... and nothing. quelle surprise.

this site is a fucking clown show

And here comes the moralizing from the comfort of your home computer. This is a thread about Cuba, and in almost every thread about Cuba a certain group of people always feel the need to rush in and attack the US government. Sure the US government deserves criticism, go make a thread.

In the end all that does in threads about Cuba time and time again is basically "fuck the people of Cuba". I want to talk about how evil america is fuck the people of Cuba.Cuba stood up to the US empire, praise them, but fuck the people of Cuba. Cuban people risk their lives and throw themselves into the sea hoping to reach freedom in America, but they shouldn't do that, fuck America and fuck them.

The Cuban people have finally had enough and are opposition their oppressors and that should be applauded and that's what this should be about. But it's never about the Cuban people, it's always a way for people to share their political viewpoints and who cares about them.

OP
OP
Feb 14, 2018
There have been many good-faith posts in this thread about the consequences of American foreign policy with respect to Cuba. I advise anyone who encounters a bad-faith poster trying to derail the thread to report and ignore. This should be first and foremost a thread about current events in Cuba; if the discussion gets too far off-track it may be locked.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
yes I am being selective about a reality that is gleefuly ignored in favor of idealistic fantasy when anyone here pretends they care about the Cuban people and suggests that its greatest threat is its own government from behind a keyboard.

Cuba will be better when the US is out of its hair, regardless of its own government, but that will never be the case while sentiments like this are doing the work of the US for it

You realize that you are talking to people that have lived there, or still have family there right? Not everyone on ERA is white or american.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
It's amazing how much people will cape for autocrats and human rights abusers as long as they can play the US card

Nov 13, 2020
But the Cuban government is a danger to its own people. They're violating Human Rights, how can you not see that?

Currently the largest danger to the Cuban people comes from the United States. That is simply a fact. It is true that the Cuban government does violate human rights by arbitrary detaining people. However, this is not comparable to what the United States has inflicted onto Cuba. Look into some of these crimes and tell me who is the real danger here?

This US backed counter revolutionary group murdered an 18 year-old teacher. Why? Because allowing people to read was considered too dangerous. And this is just the start of it. I am sure you know about Operation Mongoose as well, right?

The U.S. government engaged in an extensive and ongoing series of terrorist attacks against Cuba. These activities were collectively known as the "Cuban Project" or Operation Mongoose.The attacks formed a CIA-coordinated program of terrorist bombings, political and military sabotage, and psychological operations, as well as assassination attempts on key political leaders. The Joint Chiefs of Staff also proposed attacks on mainland U.S. targets, hijackings and assaults on Cuban refugee boats to generate U.S. public support for military action against the Cuban government, these proposals were known collectively as Operation Northwoods.

I am sure you also probably know about the Cubana de Aviación Flight 455 bombing which killed 73 people, as well as the 1997 Cuba hotel bombings. And of course the deadly sanctions which prevent people from getting what they need. I could go on and on, but you get the point. On this forum, people frequently talk about the lesser evil. In this case, we need to ask ourselves, who is the lesser evil in this situation? Who the greater danger to the Cuban people? The Cuban government, or the American one?

SailorEdwards

Oct 30, 2020
yes I am being selective about a reality that is gleefuly ignored in favor of idealistic fantasy when anyone here pretends they care about the Cuban people and suggests that its greatest threat is its own government from behind a keyboard.

Cuba will be better when the US is out of its hair, regardless of its own government, but that will never be the case while sentiments like this are doing the work of the US for it
Yeah definitely will get better as in nothing will change. The top will get more richer while the people starve.

Prolepro

Ghostwire: BooShock
Banned
Nov 6, 2017
And here comes the moralizing from the comfort of your home computer. This is a thread about Cuba, and in almost every thread about Cuba a certain group of people always feel the need to rush in and attack the US government. Sure the US government deserves criticism, go make a thread.

In the end all that does in threads about Cuba time and time again is basically "fuck the people of Cuba". I want to talk about how evil america is fuck the people of Cuba.Cuba stood up to the US empire, praise them, but fuck the people of Cuba. Cuban people risk their lives and throw themselves into the sea hoping to reach freedom in America, but they shouldn't do that, fuck America and fuck them.

The Cuban people have finally had enough and are opposition their oppressors and that should be applauded and that's what this should be about. But it's never about the Cuban people, it's always a way for people to share their political viewpoints and who cares about them.
But you speak for the Cuban people now?
Reality is what our families have had to endure in exile, under oppression. None of your gesturing matters, whoever you are.
Why were they exiled?

Oct 25, 2017
Bro this guy used the big words to tell Cubans and Cuban Americans they're online warriors.

This guy who has +7000 posts talking about video games.

ahahahaha

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Protests like these are really unprecedented in Cuba. Hoping for the best and for peace to prevail.

Oct 27, 2017
Seattle
Currently the largest danger to the Cuban people comes from the United States. That is simply a fact. It is true that the Cuban government does violate human rights by arbitrary detaining people. However, this is not comparable to what the United States has inflicted onto Cuba. Look into some of these crimes and tell me who is the real danger here?

This was 60 years ago, not sure how that would fit in the 'currently' the largest danger to the cuban people comes from the united states.

Deleted member 19813

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Dude, this is outrageous. This is not about your feelings on the US. This is about Cubans and their struggle.

Aug 8, 2019
Ah yes, the grievous crime of *checks notes* giving oppressed people a censorship-free platform to communicate on.
Come on man:

USAid's team of contractors and subcontractors built a companion website to its text service so Cubans could subscribe, give feedback and send their own text messages for free. They talked about how to make the website look like a real business. "Mock ad banners will give it the appearance of a commercial enterprise," a proposal suggested.

In multiple documents, USAid staff pointed out that text messaging had mobilized smart mobs and political uprisings in Moldova and the Philippines, among others. In Iran, the USAid noted social media's role following the disputed election of then President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad in June 2009 — and saw it as an important foreign policy tool.

USAid documents say their strategic objective in Cuba was to "push it out of a stalemate through tactical and temporary initiatives, and get the transition process going again towards democratic change." Democratic change in authoritarian Cuba meant breaking the Castros' grip on power.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
Whew. This post sure is something.

This is a thread about Cuba, and people from Cuba are the one's you're yelling at. If you want to yell about US intervention historically, create a new thread.

The whole point of these protests is that material needs aren't being met. One of the main reasons why these material needs haven't been met is because of the 60 year long embargo the US placed on Cuba for extremely petty reasons.

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Bro this guy used the big words to tell Cubans and Cuban Americans they're online warriors.

This guy who has +7000 posts talking about video games.

ahahahaha
you sound intimidated, very strange reaction esp for not directly quoting
Tell us why, you seem to know more about it
no idea, but the entire point im making is that no one under this thumb of empire has a standing in suggesting what is best for Cuba other than the Cuban people

but im gonna make this easy for you, this protest will not topple the Cuban government. you can suggest why, but it will be scant more than propaganda in the interest of US hegemony

Not all but family and friends who are Cuban. Do you speak for the Cuban people? I can see with my own eyes what is happening with the protests. I can hear with my ears what they are saying.
I see a couple hundred people waving US flags and their exile counterparts in MAGA hats, you talking about those Cuban people?
Dude, this is outrageous. This is not about your feelings on the US. This is about Cubans and their struggle.
The Cubans struggle because of the US.

OP
OP
Feb 14, 2018

This US backed counter revolutionary group murdered an 18 year-old teacher. Why? Because allowing people to read was considered too dangerous. And this is just the start of it. I am sure you know about Operation Mongoose as well, right?

I am sure you also probably know about the Cubana de Aviación Flight 455 bombing which killed 73 people, as well as the 1997 Cuba hotel bombings. And of course the deadly sanctions which prevent people from getting what they need. I could go on and on, but you get the point. On this forum, people frequently talk about the lesser evil. In this case, we need to ask ourselves, who is the lesser evil in this situation? Who the greater danger to the Cuban people? The Cuban government, or the American one?
Next time Cubans take to the streets to protest the sanctions, embargo, and various terrorists attacks of the U.S. against the island, you can make the thread. I'll be happy to see it. There aren't a lot of threads about Cuba here.

SailorEdwards

Oct 30, 2020
Id rather see the reality of Cuban self-determination play out than hide in your hypothetical
I was born in Cuba and came to Canada when I was 11. I watched my mother struggle all by herself working in the medical field and getting paid what was the equivalent to $7 USD per month. When I was born my mother and father had to live on stale bread and water mixed with sugar for their meals. My father got fired from his job when the big recession hit because he wouldn't abandon my mother and his still born child to go to a sugar cane camp because the Party needed him. I know of relatives that were beaten by the police and sent to camps for being gay. I saw people getting arrested for shouting their frustrations while Castro and his cronies got to enjoy the nice life.

People are tired of the political system and while I agree that the embargo needs to go so do all the dinosaurs clinging into power.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
you sound intimidated, very strange reaction esp for not directly quoting

no idea, but the entire point im making is that no one under this thumb of empire has a standing in suggesting what is best for Cuba other than the Cuban people

You're talking to Cuban people in here. Who are you, again?

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019

I'm for dropping the embargo, but I also for tossing this regime. Isn't it preferable to encourage it's dismantling from within than how things are going now?

The whole point of these protests is that material needs aren't being met. One of the main reasons why these material needs haven't been met is because of the 60 year long embargo the US placed on Cuba for extremely petty reasons.

As I have said, drop the embargo. But let's also drop this government. (And placing nukes 90 miles from the US shores, and nearly triggering a global holocaust isn't entirely petty)

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I was born in Cuba and came to Canada when I was 11. I watched my mother struggle all by herself working in the medical field and getting paid what was the equivalent to $7 USD per month. When I was born my mother and father had to live on stale bread and water mixed with sugar for their meals. My father got fired from his job when the big recession hit because he wouldn't abandon my mother and his still born child to go to a sugar cane camp because the Party needed him. I know of relatives that were beaten by the police and sent to camps for being gay. I saw people getting arrested for shouting their frustrations while Castro and his cronies got to enjoy the nice life.

People are tired of the political system and while I agree that the embargo needs to go so do all the dinosaurs clinging into power.
As to the economics of your experience, why did those things happen? There is no answer that does not have the US lurking in its waters. And as I am at the wrong end of tear gas against the police in my city in the defense of queer liberation, I may have been also in Cuba, and I sympathize with you. My group has had to deal with anti trans right wingers protesting in our city for a couple weekends in a row now, and you can guess where the cops are... My comrade had to bandage someone's stab wound.

But simply acknowledging things are bad in the context of Cuba's history is not the key to unlocking Cuba's liberation. It is a constant victim of empire, and has been for centuries at this point. How its institutions and people have cracked under that pressure, though it remains standing, is ammo only for letting Cuba out from under that weight, not to press down harder from above

OP
OP
Feb 14, 2018
The protestors are chanting "freedom" and "fuck the police." The protests are not exclusively about material needs, and you're right that ONE of the reasons those needs are not met is because of the U.S. Please don't try to appropriate these protests for your own purposes. Listen to the people.

sacrament

Banned
Dec 16, 2019
For sure, but from within to me does not mean with the help of USAID. The extent of US involvement did not stop simply at creating the platform...

I get it, and I think that's ok too. I think it's in our interest to encourage and support them getting through to a more human centric government.

You could contend "do nothing" is the right answer. Perhaps it is, but it sounds like there is active suffering happening now. We can stay out of internal affairs but we also know others arent staying out of the US's either - and I'd hope it resulted in a more natural regime change than embargoes + military intervention.

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Your political ideology is more important than the actual lives of people suffering and who want to protest for change? Bet you live a life of privilege and have zero skin in the game.
The actual lives of people suffering are exactly what are ignored when chest pounding here by idealists suggest they know best because of this one protest they suddenly see as the "true" inheritor of the Cuban people's will.
Some edgy white kid probably.

He is trying to call exiled Cubans traitors or some shit. Textbook Tankie material.
No, just that they are not nor represent the whole of Cuban people, esp those living in Cuba, and especially the majority who support their government. Nice try though.

Ideology is a hell of a drug.
I agree lmao

Rogue74

Nov 13, 2017
Miami, FL
Some edgy white kid probably.

He is trying to call exiled Cubans traitors or some shit. Textbook Tankie material.

I said multiple times that not only am I a Cuban immigrant, but I had family that stayed behind including my father and little sister who I didn't see for 20 years. After they came over in 2005 my grandmother (now deceased), aunt, and cousin remained on the island. But yeah, I don't really care about the Cubans in Cuba because I'm in the U.S. Got it.

Whatever. I'm done with this back and forth with him.

JABEE

Oct 25, 2017
America should drop the embargo and keep their hands and mercenaries out of Cuba.

USA's interference is only done to enrich multinational corporations at the expense of the people. The blockades themselves are acts of war against the sovereignty of Cuba and the Cuban people.

The UN roundly asks for the US to lift these embargoes which were placed on Cuba as a preface to assassination and war against a country that fucked over the oil rights of some of the most evil people on Earth who ran plantations.

Cuban people should protest but the US's only role in this is lifting the blockade and normalizing relations. The US's blockade is killing people and enabling horrible conditions. They have incredible power and choose to harm the Cuban people to keep the rest of Central and South America in line.

Rodderick

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, we've reached the "only pedophilic slave owners that became rich on the back of a US-aligned government were adversely affected by the Revolución" part of the discourse.

The US embargo is absolutely pointless and has a lot more to do with internal America politics than anything else at this point, so it's both a moral and practical imperative that it ends. The US embargo is also not in any way the main driving force behind Cuba's underdevelopment and the human rights abuses committed by a regime that gladly waves the embargo around as justification for all of its failed policies.

The US has committed horrific acts all over the globe and its population routinely rises up against the government, often facing violent police repression, and no one in this thread is arguing Americans hold an ethical upper hand over the rest of the globe, particularly in regards to foreign policy. The difference here is basically no one will cape for cops or try to concern troll about foreign influence in threads regarding protests over police brutality/low wages/whatever other social issue in the US. But talk about the social dysfunction in leftist countries and it's a wave of whataboutisms and ridiculous justifications. It's the DEFINITION of identity politics and I have no clue why we can have people basically "no true Scotsman"ing Cuban members repeatedly without repercussions in this community.

Last edited:

Prolepro

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
I said multiple times that not only am I a Cuban immigrant, but I had family that stayed behind including my father and little sister who I didn't see for 20 years. After they came over in 2005 my grandmother (now deceased), aunt, and cousin remained on the island. But yeah, I don't really care about the Cubans in Cuba because I'm in the U.S. Got it.

Whatever. I'm done with this back and forth with him.
Im sure you care for your family, friend. But neither they nor you speak for Cuba, especially when you make such outrageous claims about what Cuba "would do" if it "had power" as a rallying cry for political revolution in a place you dont live.

Mulligan

Oct 29, 2017
As I have said, drop the embargo. But let's also drop this government. (And placing nukes 90 miles from the US shores, and nearly triggering a global holocaust isn't entirely petty)

In regards to the nukes, as a sovereign country, Cuba is entitled to do whatever it wants; especially inside its borders. On top of that, having nukes inside the country likely prevented more conspicuous efforts at killing Castro and supporting contras within Cuba prior to 1962.

The government itself is relatively fine. It has elements of cronyism like every other modern government, and like most countries who are socially conservative, it's well behind on LGBTQ/abortion rights, but it is in a transitional phase in that regard right now.