foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
That was my thought as well.
So much talk about a 2m game which is a sequel to an evergreen already released on the same platform while we have an incredibly strong yet to be released IP for NSW.
Tomodachi Collection sold near 4M on DS and 2M on 3DS, if they manage to release an appealing title I don't see why it wouldn't join the 5M club with others major Nintendo IP
Nintendo might have put themselves in a bit of a snag when they stopped supporting miitomo, unless you connected to your NN account from the WiiU and 3DS days you might be out of luck in what makes tomadachi fun

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
I don't think there will be a new DKC game anytime soon as Retro is full force on Metroid now. I do think the game could do potentially well, but it would release at the end of Switch's life cycle at the earliest which isn't prime for a 10 million seller.

Kirby def needs the change. It's one of the only franchises that could have gotten a boost from Switch and still didn't get anything. It is super well known and repected, even more since SSBU, so a good, fresh 3D Kirby game could be a big hit. I don't think it needs to hit 10 millions tho. Feels like Switch software sell so well that we think a franchise need that much to be successful. A 3D Kirby game would be successful even doing like 6-7 millions which would double or triple most of the other games on the franchise. Same thing for MP4. Nintendo is betting a lot on it but they also bet a lot on Zelda Botw and needed what 2 millions to break even ? Metroid will be fresh and will attract a new audience, i'm sure that if it's great it will perform really well. Hopefully it doesn't get overshadowed by the next Halo or Mass Effect games.

By the way, i haven't seen it anywhere but Nintendo just surpassed their highest stock like ever...
just to be clear im saying the franchises have the potential to hit it not that they will.

Anyway I'm wondering what was Retro working on from 2014 until Metroid got handed to them, I don't think a switch port took 4 years of development, maybe DKC6 has been completed and Nintendo has just been holding on to it, Im pretty sure some Nintendo software is completed but they wait on it until there's a dry spell, I'm thinkin we see DKC6 2023 at the earliest however.

Metroid could just pull a Botw really not to scale of course but if it turns out being really good I think 10mil is realistic.

Kirby just need's to do something different, while I like the super star type platformers the gameplay style itself is 20 years old, I think it outstayed it's welcome by a fair amount at this point. I think HAL realized their mistake with star allies midway into development but completed it to at least have a maingame out, Kirby star allies changes so much but also almost nothing at the same time somehow.

out of all my predictions pikmin is the shaky one however I want to see Nintendo's numbers on it before I start making wild predictions for the franchise.

Mr.Adele

The Fallen
Mar 9, 2018
Kirby just need's to do something different, while I like the super star type platformers the gameplay style itself is 20 years old, I think it outstayed it's welcome by a fair amount at this point. I think HAL realized their mistake with star allies midway into development but completed it to at least have a maingame out, Kirby star allies changes so much but also almost nothing at the same time somehow.
We need Kirby 3D, I feel like that could give a breath of fresh air to the franchise and boost the sales.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
We need Kirby 3D, I feel like that could give a breath of fresh air to the franchise and boost the sales.
I think it's an inevitability at this point, I really hope it learns form star allies and incorporates all the characters

and also the soundtrack should move away from Midi permanently this time, the only non-midi kirby game was epic yarn 10 years ago.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby is fine for what it is imo. I personally enjoy the superstar gameplay style the most

Return to dreamland Wii was great.

Star Allies was mediocre but had too much of the 4 player/ally thing and weird level design in some parts. The final stages were better, whole game should've been like that.
But there's a kirby game every year, so it's not like there's a wait. And they sell consistently despite the frequency.

unlike Yoshi, which takes much longer and hasn't boosted that much in sales or critical reception, or met historical numbers.
imo, I think both kirby and yoshi are decent for what they are, but if this conversation is happening, I would say Yoshi needs it way before I'd say Kirby.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
Kirby is fine for what it is imo. I personally enjoy the superstar gameplay style the most

Return to dreamland Wii was great.

Star Allies was mediocre but had too much of the 4 player/ally thing and weird level design in some parts. The final stages were better, whole game should've been like that.
But there's a kirby game every year, so it's not like there's a wait. And they sell consistently despite the frequency.

unlike Yoshi, which takes much longer and hasn't boosted that much in sales or critical reception, or met historical numbers.
imo, I think both kirby and yoshi are decent for what they are, but if this conversation is happening, I would say Yoshi needs it way before I'd say Kirby.
Kirby has an entire company dedicated to it, Yoshi does not. Do you see the problem here?
Kirby can't be Decent for what it is because unlike Yoshi there is an entire companying riding on the games doing well.
Kumazki has said That Star allies was the end of an era for Kirby and going forward there will be major changes.
the Glorified ports of 3ds Kirby games that came out at least give me hope that HAL is putting so little effort into the spin offs that instead they have something to show for the main games I wouldn't count on Kirby not going under major upheaval

Star allies has been a Major turning point for the franchise, I did something no other game did, it brought stuff back. I really hope they don't abandon what star allies did while moving toward a future that is anything but what it is right now.

2022 is a big year for Kirby as it's the series 30th anniversary, I think that would be when the next mainline entry comes out.

Edit: oh no i'm wrong they have Box boy as well nvm

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby has an entire company dedicated to it, Yoshi does not. Do you see the problem here?
Kirby can't be Decent for what it is because unlike Yoshi there is an entire companying riding on the games doing well.
I meant decent gameplay wise.
imo, superstar is the best one gameplay wise.

but financial-wise, they seem to be doing well. We don't know the performance of Fighters and other spinoffs, but we know Star Allies has done very well in sales and got DLC. Merchandizing seems as good as ever that we know of. So I'm not seeing the problem, no. HAL doesn't appear to be regressing or in danger.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Kirby doesn't need to change anything when Star Allies just sold 3M and became the best selling entry since the first one. You can hope for a change for it to reach new heights, but they definitely don't need it.

Norsuchamp

Feb 6, 2020
Kirby has been doing well for almost 30 years without taking the 3D route so why would that change now? Of course it would be cool to see a pink number 30 with the latter number morphing into a letter D at the start of a kick-ass trailer, but quite frankly Kirby does not need that. Just a polished (maybe a bit more challenge than usual) basic Kirby game with some good marketing and everything between 3-5M (globally) will happen.

Take notes from Donkey Kong. Ape went 3D when the craze was still on but like Castlevania, it belongs to the 2D world.

sfortunato

Oct 25, 2017
Italy
Kirby has been doing well for almost 30 years without taking the 3D route so why would that change now? Of course it would be cool to see a pink number 30 with the latter number morphing into a letter D at the start of a kick-ass trailer, but quite frankly Kirby does not need that. Just a polished (maybe a bit more challenge than usual) basic Kirby game with some good marketing and everything between 3-5M (globally) will happen.

Take notes from Donkey Kong. Ape went 3D when the craze was still on but like Castlevania, it belongs to the 2D world.

I think that taking the 3D route needn't to aim to specifically achieving higher sales but also to allowing the team to explore new gameplay directions. HAL has been experimenting for years with Kirby, with good results too. I think the 2D formula has become more difficult to innovate as the team has really found the sweet spot.

CaviarMeths

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Western Canada
Kirby and Donkey Kong both attempted to go 3D on the N64 and it didn't really benefit either one in sales or in expanding their audience, but that was over 20 years ago on an unpopular console. Things might have changed and it may be worth trying again.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
Kirby and Donkey Kong both attempted to go 3D on the N64 and it didn't really benefit either one in sales or in expanding their audience, but that was over 20 years ago on an unpopular console. Things might have changed and it may be worth trying again.
when did kirby go 3d?

Edit: please don't count the 10 dollar eshop game or battle royal, neither are indicative of what a 3d kirby game would do.

also DK64 did 5million which was up from the previous game, so it actually did benefit sales and expand the audience.

Last edited:

Le Dude

May 16, 2018
USA
Anyway I'm wondering what was Retro working on from 2014 until Metroid got handed to them, I don't think a switch port took 4 years of development, maybe DKC6 has been completed and Nintendo has just been holding on to it, Im pretty sure some Nintendo software is completed but they wait on it until there's a dry spell, I'm thinkin we see DKC6 2023 at the earliest however.
I wonder if they could have been working on another DKC and it was moved to one of Nintendo's internal studios when Retro got moved on to MP4?

I hope we eventually find out what they were working on. It would seem weird if Nintendo handed them MP4 after years with nothing to show for their work.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
My guess was that Retro failed to get some projects off the ground, and were losing talents as a result. Then Nintendo gave them MP4 not only to have them work on a strong project but also to build their team back up. Easier to attract some great people when you can put Metroid in your recruting ad.

Fisico

Oct 27, 2017
Paris
Nintendo might have put themselves in a bit of a snag when they stopped supporting miitomo, unless you connected to your NN account from the WiiU and 3DS days you might be out of luck in what makes tomadachi fun

If they want to do it it wouldn't be that hard to find some kind of work around about the Mii.
Animal Crossing relies on cute customizable characters for the players which is sort of similar.

It's less convenient to import characters from you friends who don't own the game but far from a deal breaker.
I can easily picture a Web interface to create/customize a character including short questions about personalities

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't believe going 3D will suddenly make Kirby a super seller. Kirby is among the most innovative franchises and has tried all sorts of things and will continue to try all sorts of things. I also don't understand the so called "mishandling" of the series or that there were dark times on handhelds when those were the most innovative titles in the franchise.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
crystal shards was poor.

on the n64 and one player? Really
and coming off superstar having only one attack for each power felt like a downgrade.

game was kinda ugly too.
dk64 sold 5.27m and was the 7th best selling n64 game. And seems to be the 3rd best selling DK game in general.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
i'm just worried Kirby will end up like Mega Man not being origi
I don't believe going 3D will suddenly make Kirby a super seller. Kirby is among the most innovative franchises and has tried all sorts of things and will continue to try all sorts of things. I also don't understand the so called "mishandling" of the series or that there were dark times on handhelds when those were the most innovative titles in the franchise.
Kirby was outsourced starting after Nightmare in dreamland until super star ultra which was a remake, the first new Kirby game release was RtoD which, in that time 3 mainline Kirby games including a 3d one all got scrapped and turned into RtoD, RtoD spent 7-8 years in some form of development. And in what world is Kirby innovative, maybe 10 years ago when nobody knew what to do with the franchise, but now we have had 8 titles released using the exact same gameplay style, 4 of them were main games. the only which of them really innovated was RtoD and maybe star allies depending on how the next game turns out. sales wise Kirby was doing fine but the entire franchise was directionless until Kumazaki came along. it's not going 3d that could entice more people, it's just changing. literally anything would do at this point as long as it isn't super star.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Train mania running wild, Densha De Go! Quad City DJs edition.

FFVIII remake fast tracked to get in on the trains.

Fighters Megamix 2 featuring all of Sega's most famous trains.

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
I think Gibson doesn't have access to Famitsu subscription anymore, maybe it has expired. If something leaks tomorrow it might not be from him.

ZSaberLink

Oct 26, 2017

Kirby was outsourced starting after Nightmare in dreamland until super star ultra which was a remake, the first new Kirby game release was RtoD which, in that time 3 mainline Kirby games including a 3d one all got scrapped and turned into RtoD, RtoD spent 7-8 years in some form of development. And in what world is Kirby innovative, maybe 10 years ago when nobody knew what to do with the franchise, but now we have had 8 titles released using the exact same gameplay style, 4 of them were main games. the only which of them really innovated was RtoD and maybe star allies depending on how the next game turns out. sales wise Kirby was doing fine but the entire franchise was directionless until Kumazaki came along. it's not going 3d that could entice more people, it's just changing. literally anything would do at this point as long as it isn't super star.
Does Epic Yarn, Mass Attack, etc. not count? I guess they haven't done the "spin-off creative Kirby" as much recently though.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
Does Epic Yarn, Mass Attack, etc. not count? I guess they haven't done the "spin-off creative Kirby" as much recently though.
Kirby's epic yarn is actually pretty interesting, it was never supposed to be a Kirby game but it got a Kirby coat of paint in time for release, it was originally to easy, so the developers made the game borderline impossible to complete in the later stages the team was basically directionless so Kirby got tacked on to the project as a way of unifying the team at goodfeel to make sure the game was completed. not much is known about mass attacks development so im guessing it started development before epic yarn and return to dreamland released which is why it didn't use the superstar formula.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

We need a timeline here. The games you're claiming are outsourced seemed to have occurred during a transitional period after Sakurai left the company in 2003 after Air Ride (Kumazaki also worked on this game). Kirby & The Amazing Mirror was 2004 and done with Dimps and Flagship, Canvas Curse was 2005 (100% HAL game and Kumazaki was a designer on) Kirby Squeak Squad was 2006 and done with Flagship, Super Star Ultra in 2008 ( 100% HAL and Kumazaki's Directorial d) and lastly Epic Yarn in 2010 which was in collab with Good Feel.

So 3 games total? Because anything before and after, heck even inbetween like with Canvas Curse, has all been HAL.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
We need a timeline here. The games you're claiming are outsourced seemed to have occurred during a transitional period after Sakurai left the company in 2003 after Air Ride (Kumazaki also worked on this game). Kirby & The Amazing Mirror was 2004 and done with Dimps and Flagship, Canvas Curse was 2005 (100% HAL game and Kumazaki was a designer on) Kirby Squeak Squad was 2006 and done with Flagship, Super Star Ultra in 2008 ( 100% HAL and Kumazaki's Directorial d) and lastly Epic Yarn in 2010 which was in collab with Good Feel.

So 3 games total? Because anything before and after, heck even inbetween like with Canvas Curse, has all been HAL.
The main games were mostly done by other people during that time

Canvas Curse was a spin off and while successful didn't do much for the franchise, it was mostly a one off but it did get a sequel on wii u so that's nice I guess

SSU was a remake, HAL based all future games off this and this was probably why RtoD was as polished as it was.

in that time they made a spin off and the basis of the series going forward while the main games were handled by different companies (btw im going off what star allies classifies as main games)

Kirby development on an HD console was rough so it was most likely why the main games were outsourced, so that they could have major games coming out in the meantime and also why SSU was made, it was the first time for Kirby going back to that formula so the experience from making SSU could be used in RtoD to start a comeback to the series on consoles.

Saicho

Oct 27, 2017

My thought as well. There is no base on any of that claim.

well i'm just going to say a good 3d Kirby game could sell 2-5 mil in Japan alone.

Do you know how many 3D platformer sold over 3 millions in Japan? ZERO
2 millions? 2 - Mario 3D Land on 3DS and SMO on Switch.

So now assuming a new 3D Kirby game is released and becomes the best game of all time, it will magically sell on par with or outsell the best selling 3D Mario games??

This also applies your claims of how any of these games will sell 10 million if they are done right. There is no base on any of that other than Zelda blew up unexpectedly so it can happen to any game on Switch if it's done right. You can voice your opinion on how the game should be but making random claim on how a game could sell potentially is like Famitsu's digital numbers. It has no real merit in it.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
My thought as well. There is no base on any of that claim.

Do you know how many 3D platformer sold over 3 millions in Japan? ZERO
2 millions? 2 - Mario 3D Land on 3DS and SMO on Switch.

So now assuming a new 3D Kirby game is released and becomes the best game of all time, it will magically sell on par with or outsell the best selling 3D Mario games??

This also applies your claims of how any of these games will sell 10 million if they are done right. There is no base on any of that other than Zelda blew up unexpectedly so it can happen to any game on Switch if it's done right. You can voice your opinion on how the game should be but making random claim on how a game could sell potentially is like Famitsu's digital numbers. It has no real merit in it.
oh just checked Mario odyssey sales again, my prediction for a good 3d Kirby game changes to 2 million max in japan. but Donkey Kong and Kirby clearly have the visibility to become 10 million sellers and they could very well do it and im not talking just about blowing up because Switch, Kirby is one of the most well know characters in gaming top 10 definitely but the games sales don't reflect Kirby's popularity at all.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Pokémon Diamond and Pearl remakes will outsell the originals you heard it here first folks

maybe ww not in japan

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The main games were mostly done by other people during that time

Canvas Curse was a spin off and while successful didn't do much for the franchise, it was mostly a one off but it did get a sequel on wii u so that's nice I guess

SSU was a remake, HAL based all future games off this and this was probably why RtoD was as polished as it was.

in that time they made a spin off and the basis of the series going forward while the main games were handled by different companies (btw im going off what star allies classifies as main games)

Kirby development on an HD console was rough so it was most likely why the main games were outsourced, so that they could have major games coming out in the meantime and also why SSU was made, it was the first time for Kirby going back to that formula so the experience from making SSU could be used in RtoD to start a comeback to the series on consoles.
I really have no idea what you mean by outsourcing because I listed the only 3 games where HAL has explicitly collaborated with another company. Unless you mean outsourcing in general where they hire contract studios and workers to help handle the grunt work which is super common.

Cause Return to Dreamland, Triple Deluxe, Robobot, Star Allies, are all directed by Kumazaki and not in collaboration with any other studio. Even all those smaller titles like Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe, Fighter Deluxe, Blowout Blast, Battle Royale, etc on the 3DS and Switch are directed by Kumazaki as well.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
I really have no idea what you mean by outsourcing because I listed the only 3 games where HAL has explicitly collaborated with another company. Unless you mean outsourcing in general where they hire contract studios and workers to help handle the grunt work which is super common.

Cause Return to Dreamland, Triple Deluxe, Robobot, Star Allies, are all directed by Kumazaki and not in collaboration with any other studio. Even all those smaller titles like Dedede's Drum and Dash, Fighter Deluxe, Blowout Blast, Battle Royale, etc on the 3DS and Switch are directed by Kumazaki as well.
Yes exactly.