Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really have no idea what you mean by outsourcing because I listed the only 3 games where HAL has explicitly collaborated with another company. Unless you mean outsourcing in general where they hire contract studios and workers to help handle the grunt work which is super common.

Cause Return to Dreamland, Triple Deluxe, Robobot, Star Allies, are all directed by Kumazaki and not in collaboration with any other studio. Even all those smaller titles like Dedede's Drum Dash Deluxe, Fighter Deluxe, Blowout Blast, Battle Royale, etc on the 3DS and Switch are directed by Kumazaki as well.

Eighting developed some of the minigames for Star Allies so technically not:
www.8ing.co.jp

星のカービィ スターアライズ<br>【サブゲーム】

8ing(エイティング)で開発したゲーム「星のカービィ スターアライズ【サブゲーム】」を紹介しているページです。

OP
OP
Chris1964

Chris1964

SalesEra Genius
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo revealed eShop top of 2019 at 24 January. They use to provide first half and full year top sellers 3 weeks after the tracked period.

Taurus

Banned
Jun 15, 2018
Or the enemies I'll be getting once we see 2021 sales will be closer to 4mil than 6mil xD
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money... but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let your dumb predictions go now, that will be the end of it - I will not look for you, I will not pursue you... but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you... and I will eat all of your ice cream.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know who you are. I don't know what you want. If you're looking for ransom, I can tell you I don't have money... but what I do have are a very particular set of skills. Skills I have acquired over a very long career. Skills that make me a nightmare for people like you. If you let your dumb predictions go now, that will be the end of it - I will not look for you, I will not pursue you... but if you don't, I will look for you, I will find you... and I will eat all of your ice cream.
Lol

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Capcom has started to promote heavily Monster Hunter for a couple of weeks now and it had direct effect on preorders. It's now closing in 200pts on Comgnet (195) 3 months before release with a notable acceleration.

Next week should see a new trailer and a demo which should push preorders even more. I'll resume posting the charts next Monday.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
It looks like Hideki Yasuda has put out a follow up piece about PlayStation 5 shipments:

jp.gamesindustry.biz

【月間総括】ソニーの「日本市場を大事にしています」を検証する

まず,前回の記事は大変な反響をいただいた。それを見る限り,日本のゲームユーザーはソニー(SIE)に対して静かな怒りを抱いている方が一定数いることが分かる。ここ数年,ソニー(SIE)は明らかに米国市場…

I was using google translate.... he does not seem impressed.

Fularu

Oct 25, 2017
I read that in Liam Neeson's voice

Nov 2, 2017
uMTTmkl.jpg

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
you know i'm interested in what people here think the switch will end up lifetime, im sure tbone would probably predict 200mil or something but what about everybody else?

Nov 2, 2017
165 Mil. 2025. Wii and NDS software records will fall one by one. Just check nintendo stock price, everyone knows Switch will take Nintendo to new highs.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
you know i'm interested in what people here think the switch will end up lifetime, im sure tbone would probably predict 200mil or something but what about everybody else?
really not sure how nintendo will go about replacing it and doing a successor.
or what they'll do for a refresher.
So I can't really say tbh. Just a big range between 120 and 160 atm. If there's no major model introduced this year then that'd be interesing.

Goldenh

Feb 9, 2020
165 Mil. 2025. Wii and NDS software records will fall one by one. Just check nintendo stock price, everyone knows Switch will take Nintendo to new highs.

Yea Nintendo's stock is going up fast. The brand is solidifying itself lately with the theme parks and movie coming up. I do think Switch will sell above 130 millions, the rest depends on how well they play their cards.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
i think im thinking 130-170 million, off topic i remember an analyst saying that ps5 could sell 700 million, how these guy's are still employed is a wonder to me.

Yea Nintendo's stock is going up fast. The brand is solidifying itself lately with the theme parks and movie coming up. I do think Switch will sell above 130 millions, the rest depends on how well they play their cards.

yeah For Nintendo the ideal situation is that their non-videogame pursuits end up enticing people to buy the switch which could fund more non-videogame pursuits which would entice more people, how they didn't think of this during the wii era was a wonder but now that they have public mindshare stronger than even the Wii i doubt we will see a wii u 2 anytime soon.

Tbone5189

Succ-essor
Mar 25, 2020

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017
It looks like Hideki Yasuda has put out a follow up piece about PlayStation 5 shipments:

jp.gamesindustry.biz

まず,前回の記事は大変な反響をいただいた。それを見る限り,日本のゲームユーザーはソニー(SIE)に対して静かな怒りを抱いている方が一定数いることが分かる。ここ数年,ソニー(SIE)は明らかに米国市場…

I forgot about this bit in the PS5 reveal:
"There was no Japanese narration in the introduction video distribution of PS5, and there were defects in fonts and translations."

I remember seeing complaints about the timing of the announcements (they were tailored for US/Europe viewing), but the drop in language support is also telling. Overall, I felt like that article (based on Google translate) was an amalgamation of the discussion we've been having here for a month.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
Does the average Japanese video-game consumer takes notice of this aparently lack of care from Sony towards the Japanese market?

And, beyond games, can this perception of lack of interest from Sony to make things more tasteful to the Japanese influence the PS5 sales in Japan?

Oct 26, 2017
I would think the proof is in the pudding at how the PS5's software sales in Japan may be the worst I've ever seen. You can't use stock as an excuse because there's plenty of stock of every game that charted. Japan clearly ain't having it with PS5. Even if the consoles are supposedly in short supply, the software performance says it all.

Streusel

▲ Legend ▲
Dec 28, 2017
i may be wrong about this, but hasn't Sony also been offering the same ps plus games in all regions for a while now, unless there are rating issues/ no localisation? i remember that in the past Japan usually had a different games lineup more targeted towards their preferences.

KtSlime

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo
Does the average Japanese video-game consumer takes notice of this aparently lack of care from Sony towards the Japanese market?

And, beyond games, can this perception of lack of interest from Sony to make things more tasteful to the Japanese influence the PS5 sales in Japan?

Your question is a bit weird, it's not that the average game consumer takes notice of Sony's behavior, it's that Sony behavior makes them virtually non-present, and so the average game consumer in Japan doesn't even think about Sony as a game company. The more hardcore gamers are aware, and some take offense, others however do apologetics for Sony.

Dec 21, 2020
It'll be fine in the end for PS5, of course it'll do Vita Numbers give or take +/- 1.3 Million units when it is all said and done. Solely because of the strong brand presence.

NS will do 120M as the floor, even if it has a decline starting next year and no revision, for the next few years 120M is the floor I think. Beating the 3DS, GBA, PSP, 360, PS3, Wii, PS1, GB/C in the process.

Beyond that milestone it is only three systems: PS2, DS and the PS4 which I think will end at 134-139M units sold when it is all said and done.

PS2/DS numbers may be the most difficult thing to beat .

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
It'll be fine in the end for PS5, of course it'll do Vita Numbers give or take +/- 1.3 Million units when it is all said and done. Solely because of the strong brand presence.

NS will do 120M as the floor, even if it has a decline starting next year and no revision, for the next few years 120M is the floor I think. Beating the 3DS, GBA, PSP, 360, PS3, Wii, PS1, GB/C in the process.

Beyond that milestone it is only three systems: PS2, DS and the PS4 which I think will end at 134-139M units sold when it is all said and done.

PS2/DS numbers may be the most difficult thing to beat .

PS4 probably don't do much above 120 million (maybe like 125 million) as Sony seems determined to kill it early and get people fast to the PS5.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
i'm pretty surprised that sony killed the ps4 so soon. with a price drop and considering there's a few more years of cross gen titles coming, i thought for sure it's gonna sell quite a bit more in the coming years.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

jp.gamesindustry.biz

DeepL's translation captures the tone of the article better. The analyst is very frustrated with Sony for how they've been handling Japan, such as receiving kind comments but no actions, they don't see any intent from Sony to succeed in Japan, etc.

Some excerpts.
First of all, my last article received a great response. It shows that there are a certain number of Japanese gamers who are quietly angry with Sony (SIE). For the past few years, Sony (SIE) has been clearly focused on the U.S. market, and I believe that the hearts and minds of Japanese users have been steadily moving away from PlayStation. The purpose of my last article was not to sensationalize the situation, but to convey to Sony and SIE the deep sense of desperation among domestic users, and I think you probably understood that.

However, we did receive a very kind comment directly from Sony headquarters that they value the Japanese market. I am sure that they really do care about it. However, although the feeling is important, it is not accompanied by action. For this reason, users think that Sony and CEO Jim Ryan are "neglecting the Japanese market. When I point this out, you may think I'm just speculating on the part of Ace Research Institute.

As I mentioned last time, the PS5 has fallen below the PS3, as expected. From this graph, can you sense Sony's (SIE's) intention to succeed in the Japanese market? We at Ace Research Institute cannot see it.

Even so, the actual sales figures of 11,000 units in the fourth and fifth weeks and 17,000 units in the sixth week are too low. The estimated total of 240,000 units is the lowest level ever for a Sony console. At this rate, it will be less than half the size of the PS4 over its entire lifecycle. And the low penetration could cause a crisis in the domestic consumer game industry.

Overall though, everything he's saying here and in the rest of the article is not really all that different from everything that gets discussed in here weekly. But he is downright frustrated.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Capcom has started to promote heavily Monster Hunter for a couple of weeks now and it had direct effect on preorders. It's now closing in 200pts on Comgnet (195) 3 months before release with a notable acceleration.

Next week should see a new trailer and a demo which should push preorders even more. I'll resume posting the charts next Monday.
I went into the wayback machine, and I found that MHW was at 234 pts on COMG by October 24th, so approximately the same time frame. Of course comparing things requires massive grains grains of salt, but it does look like MHR is making up the gap between it and MHW on COMG. If trends on COMG are going to hold (which is not something we can ever assume, of course), then that would suggest that MHR would debut quite a bit higher (better COMG pts to sales ratio, and a projected overtaking in COMG pts).

But that remains to be seen. It wouldn't be a surprise, of course.

Mpl90

Oct 25, 2017
We already know the next Top 10 will be published on January 7th (it'll be two weeks combined). The only thing we can hope for today are leaks :P

evilmonkey

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
i'm pretty surprised that sony killed the ps4 so soon. with a price drop and considering there's a few more years of cross gen titles coming, i thought for sure it's gonna sell quite a bit more in the coming years.
Unlike last gen, this time around Xbox isn't starting things off with one of the biggest PR disasters in gaming history and Nintendo isn't busy trying to salvage what they can from their hardware business.

SIE want to push the newest system as much as possible because the more edge it has over the competition, the easier it'll be to get exclusive deals which will snowball into an even more advantagious position. The lack of a price cut for PS4 in Japan is likely a side effect of them prioritizing PS5 production for the above reasons.

TonyBaduy

Oct 11, 2020
Mexico
I am sure all that is going to help them get a lot of AAA support, but as others have said before, smaller devs could end up left behind in Japan due to this strategy and games that sell better in Japan would obviously not be released in the PS5 until it has a larger installed base. We will see how this shapes the market, but it wouldn't suprise me if more games start coming to the Switch and PC due to this. Competition is good, so it's sad that there won't be any in the console space in Japan for the time being, it'll probably be Nintendo land for the rest of the generation.

Dec 21, 2020
PS4 probably don't do much above 120 million (maybe like 125 million) as Sony seems determined to kill it early and get people fast to the PS5.
It's at, what? 110-115M right now sold right? I can see it doing 30 ish million in the next two to four years, leaning more to three years, coupled with being the cheaper option, and the core PS playerbase moves on to the new device. Overtime they'll cheapen it I bet even more to say, 250 or 200 if possible.

I'm thinking 8-9 million the following year, 5-7 million another year, 2 million or so the next year, and as I said when it is all said and done (beyond this time frame years later) it can end up crawling like near its deathbed to 134-139 million. More likely at 134M than 139M imo

In a similar way to how the PS3 edged out over the 360 in sales, barely, by 3 million units or so. Thing was selling into like 2014-2015 in some places!

Edit: looking at it better, 129-132M could be more realistic rather than 134-139M

Garlic

Oct 28, 2017
With trends the way they are going I doubt Sony is manufacturing anywhere close to 30 million more PS4s. It looks like they are going to cut the long tail and try to speed up moving the PS userbase to PS5

ShiningBash

Oct 29, 2017

Probably not for 99% of what's discussed on forums, but the x and o decision must annoy everyone. However, hardcore PS fans in Japan likely did notice, and that will probably have knock-on effects for average consumers.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
With trends the way they are going I doubt Sony is manufacturing anywhere close to 30 million more PS4s. It looks like they are going to cut the long tail and try to speed up moving the PS userbase to PS5
Yeah, Sony didn't push the PS4 during the holidays and don't want to cut the price. They want people to just buy the PS5 instead.

Djehuty

Sep 2, 2020
It's at, what? 110-115M right now sold right? I can see it doing 30 ish million in the next two to four years, leaning more to three years, coupled with being the cheaper option, and the core PS playerbase moves on to the new device. Overtime they'll cheapen it I bet even more to say, 250 or 200 if possible.

I'm thinking 8-9 million the following year, 5-7 million another year, 2 million or so the next year, and as I said when it is all said and done (beyond this time frame years later) it can end up crawling like near its deathbed to 134-139 million. More likely at 134M than 139M imo

In a similar way to how the PS3 edged out over the 360 in sales, barely, by 3 million units or so. Thing was selling into like 2014-2015 in some places!

Edit: looking at it better, 129-132M could be more realistic rather than 134-139M
The ps4 didn't even break 1mil in the USA in november and it probably won't in December either. It's done selling maybe 5-10 million more is all it could do, 30 million is a dream. Sony is actively trying to kill the ps4 as quick as they can.

Dec 21, 2020
The ps4 didn't even break 1mil in the USA in november and it probably won't in December either. It's done selling maybe 5-10 million more is all it could do, 30 million is a dream. Sony is actively trying to kill the ps4 as quick as they can.
If that's the case, then the GB/C is its closest milestone achievement. I thought it did relatively fine elsewhere though?