• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

WarMacheen

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I like it actually. I also leave motion blur and chromatic aberation on in games. Not really in to that overly-clean/artificial look some people seem to prefer, tbh.

tenor.gif

Vault Boy

Nov 2, 2017
I like it. Makes it feel like you're playing a 70s sci-fi movie or something. At least in ME1 it always felt right to me. I can't be the only one who enjoys film grain in Mass Effect.

You're not. I always thought it added a lot to the feeling as well. Pairs nicely with some of the Total Recall-esque musical notes (like the death screen).

Mutagenic

Oct 30, 2017
Not a fan of the contextual buttons being placed at the top of the screen. Was the original game like that? I can't remember.

That, and the shield bar isn't smooth when recharging. Minor nitpicks, I suppose.

Last edited:

JFoul

Oct 25, 2017
I wasn't going to buy this at launch, but it's listed for $53 on the Xbox store and you get 6000 ($6) rewards points for the purchase.

Oct 29, 2017

Not always, it heavily depends on the implementation, game, what type of game it is, and what your framerate is. Lower framerates like 30 fps and below shouldn't have motion blur, IMO, because the image is already low-information as it is and the last thing you want is to smear what little visual information you have. Higher framerates (100+) tend to have motion blur look good if implemented well (e.g. per object motion blur, the effect is subtle, etc.). Still, there's the odd game here and there like racing games where motion blur is preferably off. But otherwise I tend to leave it on.

Chromatic aberration, though, generally has to go unless the game is reeeeally going for something and is an effect sparingly used (like some dramatic effect when your character gets a concussion or whatever). Just lazily applying it to the entire game with no context is a terrible choice. Jedi Fallen Order is a perfect example of a bad implementation. There's no fucking reason for it to be there, significantly impacts the image quality for no upside, and it's not like the Star Wars IP is "known" for chromatic aberration. It's just lazily applied to the entire image I bet as some misguided attempt to "look filmic" but it looks like ass. CA generally only works as a way to convey disorientation or a discordant image. It's as if a TV show just randomly had dutch angles for every single shot for literally no reason, even just a casual conversation.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, I did the PC-on-the-living-room-TV thing in my last place, but when I moved I made a conscious decision to keep them separate in my new setup. There's a beautiful simplicity to just picking up the controller and being ready to go 100% of the time. I still have my PC in the PC dungeon for PC-centric stuff, but I've reached a point in my life where I lack the mental overhead to focus on it.

This 110%. While the PC gaming on TV experience has improved over the years, for me it's still too involved. I keep my PC gaming on my monitor and and my XSX and PS5 on the CX.

Optimus Lime

Oct 27, 2017
This 110%. While the PC gaming on TV experience has improved over the years, for me it's still too involved. I keep my PC gaming on my monitor and and my XSX and PS5 on the CX.

You guys are describing a struggle I have been having for years now.

I have a 3080-equipped PC, and it's great. It's plugged into an LG C9, but the PC experience on a TV still isn't as easy or convenient as on my XSX or PS5. And, in previous generations, it was easy to think around - the PC offered a demonstrably superior experience to the overwhelming number of 30fps titles on the XOX and PS4. But, the new systems now overwhelmingly offer 60fps gameplay, even if it's using upscaling, and a number of 120hz titles on top of that.

I want to keep buying everything on PC, because that's what I've instinctively always done, but the argument to do it is becoming thinner and thinner. Mass Effect trilogy is the latest one - I KNOW that I'll get an amazing experience on the XSX, but my lizard brain keeps prodding me into buying it on the PC, where it's a dice roll whether the port will be reasonable.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
You guys are describing a struggle I have been having for years now.

I have a 3080-equipped PC, and it's great. It's plugged into an LG C9, but the PC experience on a TV still isn't as easy or convenient as on my XSX or PS5. And, in previous generations, it was easy to think around - the PC offered a demonstrably superior experience to the overwhelming number of 30fps titles on the XOX and PS4. But, the new systems now overwhelmingly offer 60fps gameplay, even if it's using upscaling, and a number of 120hz titles on top of that.

I want to keep buying everything on PC, because that's what I've instinctively always done, but the argument to do it is becoming thinner and thinner. Mass Effect trilogy is the latest one - I KNOW that I'll get an amazing experience on the XSX, but my lizard brain keeps prodding me into buying it on the PC, where it's a dice roll whether the port will be reasonable.
Your 3080 can do 120hz in most games, especially ME: LE, which the consoles will not be able to do (not without sacrifices on Series X and no support on PS5 altogether in ME:LE). Windows is not designed to be used with a gamepad but Steam manages it well most of the time. The initial mundane process of installing dependencies "next" "next" "next" is automated now and kept in the background when you first run a game. Things do take an unexpected turn, like a firewall interrupt for instance, an air mouse is handy so you can interact from the couch with ease. Its a trade off that is ultimately worth it for some and not for others.

Optimus Lime

Oct 27, 2017
Your 3080 can do 120hz in most games, especially ME: LE, which the consoles will not be able to do (not without sacrifices on Series X and no support on PS5 altogether in ME:LE). Windows is not designed to be used with a gamepad but Steam manages it well most of the time. The initial mundane process of installing dependencies "next" "next" "next" is automated now and kept in the background when you first run a game. Things do take an unexpected turn, like a firewall interrupt for instance, an air mouse is handy so you can interact from the couch with ease. Its a trade off that is ultimately worth it for some and not for others.

That's all very true. I wish Microsoft and/or Valve would do something about the ease of use from the couch, though. And, my god, I WISH Microsoft would fix 5.1 bitstream audio over HDMI. But, you're right, ME will perform better on my PC than on the consoles, so that's where I'll probably end up buying it.

Firefly

Jul 10, 2018
That's all very true. I wish Microsoft and/or Valve would do something about the ease of use from the couch, though. And, my god, I WISH Microsoft would fix 5.1 bitstream audio over HDMI. But, you're right, ME will perform better on my PC than on the consoles, so that's where I'll probably end up buying it.
And it also has native controller support which the original trilogy did not.
Microsoft absolutely needs to streamline the Xbox app with a console-like dashboard. It makes even more sense to do it to push the Game Pass Ultimate and Play Anywhere initiative. Boot up xCloud and you get a console-like UI which is fully controller driven. Their desktop app needs a Big Picture mode of its own. Hopefully this is on their roadmap.

Optimus Lime

Oct 27, 2017
And it also has native controller support which the original trilogy did not.
Microsoft absolutely needs to streamline the Xbox app with a console-like dashboard. It makes even more sense to do it to push the Game Pass Ultimate and Play Anywhere initiative. Boot up xCloud and you get a console-like UI which is fully controller driven. Their desktop app needs a Big Picture mode of its own. Hopefully this is on their roadmap.

It also might be a good time to fire up Playnite with the XSX skin again. I had it running a while ago, and it provided a basically seamless Xbox or Playstation frontend, controller driven, which unified my storefronts. There's a wee bit of jank, but it's still pretty good.

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

i'm a bit surprised to see the problems you're having. I don't doubt that they're there, believe me I've had my share. But stuff like bitstream over HDMI has been long resolved. (ironically, it doesn't work on my Xbox SX when I enable 120 Hz)

and yeah, I'll just echo the advice of the previous poster, keep an air mouse nearby for those instances where the PC is going to PC. I have one of those tiny logitech media keyboards that works really well on the coffee table.

Edit: naturally, as I'm typing this out, windows decides to do an update to restart my computer right before I'm about to play persona on TV. Lol. PC gonna PC

PS9

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Game is out in 12 hours, any PC vs console comparisons yet? Tossing up between Series X or PC. I think I want the comfy couch lol

catpurrcat

Oct 27, 2017

as a relative newcomer to PC gaming, what's so involved? I've only ever known computer hooked up to TV, even when I had a slow PC, so I'm not really sure what y'all mean.

I just start up the computer (which boots up faster than my TV itself) and then steam auto runs.

All I have to do is click on the game itself to start. And then I turn on my Xbox controller and voilĂ . Gaming.

I must be missing something…

Status
Not open for further replies.