Status
Not open for further replies.

The Albatross

Oct 25, 2017
Never truly played any of the Mass Effect games, so looking forward to this. I got ME1 shortly after it came out but didn't really "get it." At the time I thought it was a Third person shooter, and I was like "oh, this isn't satisfying..." when I first started playing. I put it down and never got back into it, and then by the time the game became a sensation I felt passed by, then thought I'd wait for a bundle, then the ME3 review fallout happened and I was like eh, I'll just pass.

So now I'm excited to play it.

Can't wait to see some reviews and proper impressions.

Slim Action

Jul 4, 2018
A tidbit from Twitter: apparently you can adjust the intensity of the film grain effect (in ME1 at least). I believe it was simply on/off before.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
What is so hard to understand? It's just preference.
I prefer my PC for gaming overall, but as someone who plays PC games 99% of their time on a TV alongside a PS5, there's a lot more involved than just 'just hooking up an HDMI cable' for getting a hassle-free couch experience with a PC. I wish it was just hooking up a single cable, but it isn't.

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
I prefer my PC for gaming overall, but as someone who plays PC games 99% of their time on a TV alongside a PS5, there's a lot more involved than just 'just hooking up an HDMI cable' for getting a hassle-free couch experience with a PC. I wish it was just hooking up a single cable, but it isn't.

Yeah, I did the PC-on-the-living-room-TV thing in my last place, but when I moved I made a conscious decision to keep them separate in my new setup. There's a beautiful simplicity to just picking up the controller and being ready to go 100% of the time. I still have my PC in the PC dungeon for PC-centric stuff, but I've reached a point in my life where I lack the mental overhead to focus on it.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Yeah, I did the PC-on-the-living-room-TV thing in my last place, but when I moved I made a conscious decision to keep them separate in my new setup. There's a beautiful simplicity to just picking up the controller and being ready to go 100% of the time. I still have my PC in the PC dungeon for PC-centric stuff, but I've reached a point in my life where I lack the mental overhead to focus on it.
I really wish there was some sort of retropie type interface you could set for windows for this purpose. Let you log in and buy games on steam, epic, itch.io, xbox gamepass, etc and just launch from there. With Microsofts big push to make moves in PC gaming youd think they would try and do something like this.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
I really wish there was some sort of retropie type interface you could set for windows for this purpose. Let you log in and buy games on steam, epic, itch.io, xbox gamepass, etc and just launch from there. With Microsofts big push to make moves in PC gaming youd think they would try and do something like this.
Or Steam just make it far easier to import games from other stores and serve as the front-end themselves, in addition to updating Big Picture mode. They're the ideal gateway imo due to Steam Input which no other store has. I guess their reasoning (?) is that they don't want to give any attention to other storefronts and make it easier to use Steam's feature set (or a subset) when you buy a game not on theirs, but I think that ship has sailed (especially with exclusivity deals) - this way the user will at least be conditioned to stay in the Steam UI the majority of the time regardless of where they bought the game.

GOG Galaxy is great and all, but as mentioned it doesn't have a universal gamepad interface library, and no big picture mode. The worst is when stuff like EA releases a game on Epic or Steam, that still require the Origin client to launch regardless if you bought it on those stores. For example I got Jedi Knight on Epic - launching it from Galaxy launches the Epic client, which in turn launches Origin. Insane.

GoldenFlex

Alt Account
Banned
May 7, 2021
Or Steam just make it far easier to import games from other stores and serve as the front-end themselves, in addition to updating Big Picture mode. They're the ideal gateway imo due to Steam Input which no other store has. I guess their reasoning (?) is that they don't want to give any attention to other storefronts and make it easier to use Steam's feature set (or a subset) when you buy a game not on theirs, but I think that ship has sailed (especially with exclusivity deals) - this way the user will at least be conditioned to stay in the Steam UI the majority of the time regardless of where they bought the game.

GOG Galaxy is great and all, but as mentioned it doesn't have a universal gamepad interface library, and no big picture mode. The worst is when stuff like EA releases a game on Epic or Steam, that still require the Origin client to launch regardless if you bought it on those stores. For example I got Jedi Knight on Epic - launching it from Galaxy launches the Epic client, which in turn launches Origin. Insane.
It will take steps from Windows too though, like when you launch a new game for the first time and it pops up those firewall warnings and what not. Windows will need to be reskinned or in some new "gamer mode" to allow you to easily interact with things with a controller. Maybe this is all doable already though I'm not sure.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
It will take steps from Windows too though, like when you launch a new game for the first time and it pops up those firewall warnings and what not. Windows will need to be reskinned or in some new "gamer mode" to allow you to easily interact with things with a controller. Maybe this is all doable already though I'm not sure.
It even does it in modern Windows Store/Xbox games when they pop up the Xbox Live window at first launch to authorize Xbox live to use your ID, but you have to use a mouse for it when it should be a click down on the dpad and a button press - gamepad doesn't work. Just sloppy.

I just don't see MS making major strides to enable a 'TV mode' UX for Windows though, while they are giving more than lip service to the PC lately as opposed to past efforts, ultimately they want you to have that experience on an Xbox where you're forced to use their storefront. They're not going to expend considerable resources to give you the benefits of the Xbox's UI while still giving you the freedom to purchase games everywhere else.

Edit: anyways veering far off topic, apologies

canderous

Prophet of Truth
Jun 12, 2020
You dont need a slider. There is one option and that is off.
Q31gXaK.gif

I like it. Makes it feel like you're playing a 70s sci-fi movie or something. At least in ME1 it always felt right to me. I can't be the only one who enjoys film grain in Mass Effect.

6f0kmzt.gif

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Same here. I got charged and the steelbook is a separate shipment, and the game is "shipping by Friday." It's no big deal, still playing RE8.

mlk1227

Jan 31, 2021
Sounds like everyone who ordered from Best Buy is in the same exact situation, saw it a bit on Twitter too. I'm sure we'll all have it on Friday tbh.

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
Damn.. when did you order and what area are you in?

Northern Virginia, and I placed the order all the way back in March, it's not like i placed it a day or two ago either ..

they wouldn't let me change to pick up at store either cause it was being processed, nor could I request a refund ...

Best Buy's really gone to the crapper for me, the last couple of things I've ordered from there have all had one issue or another.

ThereAre4Lights

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Northern Virginia, and I placed the order all the way back in March, it's not like i placed it a day or two ago either ..

they wouldn't let me change to pick up at store either cause it was being processed, nor could I request a refund ...

Best Buy's really gone to the crapper for me, the last couple of things I've ordered from there have all had one issue or another.

That stinks. Maybe it has something to do with the pipeline hack gas delays?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
Seeing all the delivery anxiety across all the threads is making me glad I went digital, lol. I wanted to avoid another FF7R situation (my game was scheduled to be a couple of days late so I panic-bought the digital version because I'm an unreasonable and compulsive person).

Hero_Select

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Seeing all the delivery anxiety across all the threads is making me glad I went digital, lol. I wanted to avoid another FF7R situation (my game was scheduled to be a couple of days late so I panic-bought the digital version because I'm an unreasonable and compulsive person).
That's what I did.. though I definitely want a physical copy at some point but I'll get one in the far future. I do have the really nice steelbook from the Legendary Cache to display at least :3

mlk1227

Jan 31, 2021

That sucks, I ordered back in March too

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
That's what I did.. though I definitely want a physical copy at some point but I'll get one in the far future. I do have the really nice steelbook from the Legendary Cache to display at least :3

I can see myself double-dipping on a physical PlayStation version in the future just to snag those juicy Plats.

Because, again, I am an unreasonable and compulsive person.

mlk1227

Jan 31, 2021
If my game doesn't come on Friday then I am double dipping into digital, I am that desperate for this (unless it comes Saturday then I'll wait).

senj

Nov 6, 2017
I like it. Makes it feel like you're playing a 70s sci-fi movie or something. At least in ME1 it always felt right to me. I can't be the only one who enjoys film grain in Mass Effect.
Yeah I like it actually. I also leave motion blur and chromatic aberation on in games. Not really in to that overly-clean/artificial look some people seem to prefer, tbh.

Lashley

<<Tag Here>>
Oct 25, 2017
I already bought it on Steam but I'm tempted to get it on PS4/5 too.

Why am I like this

Hey Please

Avenger
Oct 31, 2017
Not America
Status
Not open for further replies.