• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 26, 2017
Netherlands
Were the two other Time Keepers laughing after Sylvie decapitated the center one? It sounds like it but their mannerisms are so bizarre that it's kind of hard to tell. Comes across as whoever is in control is mocking her.
It's the latter, yeah. The timekeepers are basically animatronics with an intercom system, so the person who's really in charge was just mocking her and amused with her failed attempt.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're making it weirder than it actually is by trying to apply real world legal terms to a fantastical situation that they don't apply to. There's nothing incestuous about Loki falling in love with Sylvie because they're not family. Yeah they're both technically the same person genetically but they're from entirely different universes and, as Mobius pointed out, it's totally in-character that the only person Loki could fall in love with is himself.
It's arguably in character, but what's the audience meant to think? Are we meant to root for them to be together? Loki has been very villianous, but in the MCU he's often potrayed as a charming rogue that the audience naturally roots for.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's arguably in character, but what's the audience meant to think? Are we meant to root for them to be together? Loki has been very villianous, but in the MCU he's often potrayed as a charming rogue that the audience naturally roots for.

Of course you're meant to root for them to be together. Loki had always been of an ambiguous morality but it's pretty implicit that he was never truly evil. Selfish and power hungry, sure, but never evil. Things went to shit when he found out he was a jötunn but before then he clearly got on very well with his family.

The only time he did explicitly evil things, the Mind Gem in his scepter was apparently amplifying his negative emotions in much the same way it had the Avengers, and there was that moment of lucidity at Stark Tower where he's visibly scared of what he's done so I can believe it. He's not normally like that, y'know? Using armies to conquer has never been his style and even Thor was surprised to hear Loki had killed eighty people in two days. He probably hadn't killed that many people in the last thousand years. Even when he made the deal with his dad to let the Frost Giants into Asgard, it was all a ruse so he could kill the guy.

Loki only turned out the way he did because, in his own words from his 2012 self, he had come to believe love was a lie. He believed that not only did his adoptive family not love him, but that he was little more than a hostage and that he would never be able to escape Thor's shadow. Yet Thor 2 and Thor 3 both proved that Loki was softening on that stance in the years after the first Avengers movie as he was realising just how much his adoptive family meant to him and how much he meant to them and how, by the events of Infinity War, he finally accepted that he is the rightful king of Jötunnheim anyway so Odin was actually right all along. The dream of peace between Asgardians and jötunn was in the bag with Thor and Loki being their respective Kings. At least that was the case before Thanos fucked everything up.

So yeah, I'd say you're meant to root for Loki. His journey has been a fascinating one and we saw him die to protect the universe. Dude deserves a happy ending. In fact, since there's no chance of Tom Hiddleston returning, I'd love for Sylvie to hop on over to the MCU proper, fully aware of what her other self did, and become an enigmatic but supportive member of New Asgard. Imagine Thor's face when he finally finds out that not only does the multiverse exist and Loki is still alive in some universes, but that one of them has been helping him from the shadows for a while and he never knew.

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
the current variant Loki is aware that Loki from the sacred timeline is dead. and presumably, the timeline our variant Loki come from has been reset/destroyed/whatever. so maybe he could decide to just move to our prime MCU timeline lol. he already know more or less what happened to Loki in the sacred timeline, so he could just make excuse about how he survived Thanos and continue from there. along with Sylvie of course, now taking the title Enchantress

isn't it amazing that super comic book origin concept like alternate reality version of a character happened in huge live action blockbuster movie. Gamora, Loki and Enchantress, after this, character like Spider-Gwen and Miles Morales seems like super easy to do, lol. I wonder if Sony/Marvel will ever try Clone Sage live action movie lol. I would love to see them try ultimate Jessica Drew origin.

Last edited:

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
You know, I've been enjoying this show overall - but I've been thinking that the premise is kind of a miss. Not that the TVA stuff isn't interesting, but Loki himself is kinda wasted on it. The whole TVA conceit/mystery overshadows the Loki character IMO. In fact, I feel like the show would be largely unchanged if there was a completely different character standing in for the main role. Not enough trickery, not enough backstabbing, not enough meanness in general. They've made the character far too passive.

Who knows, maybe the last two episodes will render all that moot.

I feel like Loki is the meat of the show. The TVA stuff seems pretty half-baked with its Dr Who handwaving of time travel implications. But looking at who Loki is, his self loathing and how he acts out, and how he grows, that's the interesting stuff.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
TVA and everything they say is fuzzy on purpose only the mystery man on top(and probably Ravonna) know what's really going on, that's the whole point. Some general concepts like multiverse is true but even the whole concept of variants is intentionally misleading. What's so hard to get?

Edengamer25

Aug 29, 2020
Episode 4 has been the most interesting, probably my favorite Marvel Disney+ episode so far. Episode 4>2>1>3 imo

Ignatz Mouse

Oct 27, 2017
My wife mentioned mentioned something interesting. She said that Loki cutting Sif's hair was so specific, it must be part of Norse mythology.

I looked it up, and it is.

Perhaps as interesting is that half the story is Loki making amends for the act.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I think you're making it weirder than it actually is by trying to apply real world legal terms to a fantastical situation that they don't apply to. There's nothing incestuous about Loki falling in love with Sylvie because they're not family. Yeah they're both technically the same person genetically but they're from entirely different universes and, as Mobius pointed out, it's totally in-character that the only person Loki could fall in love with is himself.
I mean, yeah.

But at the same time I can't get around the fact that their parents were likely the same people just from different timelines.

Foltzie

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
My wife mentioned mentioned something interesting. She said that Loki cutting Sif's hair was so specific, it must be part of Norse mythology.

Perhaps as interesting is that half the story is Loki making amends for the act.

huh so it is.

Sif and her Golden Hair - Storynory

Loki, god of fire and mischief, steals Sif's beautiful golden hair. In doing so he enrages Sif's powerful husband, Thor.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I mean, yeah.

But at the same time I can't get around the fact that their parents were likely the same people just from different timelines.
That's not necessarily true. She doesn't have to be a frost giant. Is the crocodile Loki a frost giant? They showed some sort of ogre Loki in episode 2 and he clearly isn't a frost giant. There are an infinite number of potential outcomes and you're applying our universe's outcomes to another. It doesn't work that way.

Deleted member 17388

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What if...?'s logline has me so excited, given what could happen in Loki 😳😳

"Space. Time. Reality. It's more than a linear path."

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
That's not necessarily true. She doesn't have to be a frost giant. Is the crocodile Loki a frost giant? They showed some sort of ogre Loki in episode 2 and he clearly isn't a frost giant. There are an infinite number of potential outcomes and you're applying our universe's outcomes to another. It doesn't work that way.
The TVA needed a Loki to find a Loki, I don't think you can blame people for seeing them being like brother and sister in a family of Lokis, and feeling weird about them evolving into a couple.

dglavimans

Nov 13, 2019
Finally caught up! I like the series but I think it is also a bit of whatever right now.. Dunno why not really interested in the whole time thingie anymore or something. Maybe the next episode with the new characters gets me excited…

Theecliff

Oct 28, 2017
i wasn't really feeling it until this episode but now i'm definitely interested. the idea of a series that's wrestling with the idea of the MCU's timeline itself with a villainous character that's clearly been pruning anything that doesn't fit a very specific idea of the MCU - including, curiously, a female version of a prominent character - almost feels like meta commentary on the direction the MCU was taking during the Perlmutter years (and considering the meta commentary prevalent in WandaVision and Falcon wouldn't surprise me to be the case)

also, since it's been time shenanigans, i wonder if the big bad is gonna be connected to the rumoured villain of Ant-Man 3,
Kang
?

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah, I do think the general rule of thumb is that Loki is always the child of Laufey (who is actually a woman in Norse mythology and a goddess at that) and Fárbauti the jötunn who is adopted and raised by the Asgardian gods.

You'll probably find that Lokidile was probably cursed or something and the ogre Loki actually struck me as what one Loki might have decided to become after getting bashed around by the Hulk.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
Really cool episode, much better than 3. I assume

Kang created the TVA to preserve the single time line where he ends up winning or something, and Lokis are the biggest chaotic element to preventing it.

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Putting this behind spoiler tags even though it's just speculation.

I'm assuming Kang/Immortus/Iron Lad/Rama-Tut/Whatever else he calls himself will not be responsible for the TVA. This character will be introduced in Ant-Man 3.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Just caught up, holy shit this show is incredible. And the main theme with that descending scale is a scoring masterpiece. Hell yes.

Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta GA
Putting this behind spoiler tags even though it's just speculation.

I'm assuming Kang/Immortus/Iron Lad/Rama-Tut/Whatever else he calls himself will not be responsible for the TVA. This character will be introduced in Ant-Man 3.

Immortus was a servant of the Time Keepers in a Kang vs Immortus arc and ended up turning on them. There's material that precludes Kang and/or Immortus being involved here, but it doesn't mean they'll follow the comics as usual

But just cuz they announced him as Kang for Ant-Man doesnt mean he won't show up as Immortus or Victor Timely or Rama-Tut first

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Immortus was a servant of the Time Keepers in a Kang vs Immortus arc and ended up turning on them. There's material that precludes Kang and/or Immortus being involved here, but it doesn't mean they'll follow the comics as usual

But just cuz they announced him as Kang for Ant-Man doesnt mean he won't show up as Immortus or Victor Timely or Rama-Tut first

I'm expecting them to try to keep this stuff as simple as possible, and Kang won't appear in any form until Ant-Man 3. I do think there is a real possibility that we see Iron Lad as a love interest for Cassie in Ant-Man 3. After that? I'm expecting them to go all out.

Heynongman!

Oct 25, 2017
i wasn't really feeling it until this episode but now i'm definitely interested. the idea of a series that's wrestling with the idea of the MCU's timeline itself with a villainous character that's clearly been pruning anything that doesn't fit a very specific idea of the MCU - including, curiously, a female version of a prominent character - almost feels like meta commentary on the direction the MCU was taking during the Perlmutter years (and considering the meta commentary prevalent in WandaVision and Falcon wouldn't surprise me to be the case)

also, since it's been time shenanigans, i wonder if the big bad is gonna be connected to the rumoured villain of Ant-Man 3,
Kang
?
Just a heads up: Kang is official, not rumor. Johnathon Majors is playing him. Feige announced it in December at Disney Investor Day

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles

By how Mobius talks about it, it's supposed to be pretty twisted and incestuous but it's the least fucked up version of incestuous.

If you ever played Kingdim Hearts, it'd be like if Sora fell in love with Xion.

antonz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Loki/Syvlie thing is more the sheer shock that of all the beings in the universe the only one that Loki can truly feel a genuine connection too is a variant of himself. THE TVA and how it views life and timeline variant etc. would look at it even worse because Syvlie isn't even supposed to exist. So loki falling for an alternate universe version of himself is even sicker.

Vidiot

Oct 27, 2017
So I'm enjoying the show but I have two questions. 1 If there is only supposed to be one grand timeline why are there completely alternate versions of characters like male/female Loki? 2 If Loki picking up and using the tesseract went against the correct flow of time shouldn't Tony and Steve have went against the flow of time as well since them going back to Steve's time to get another Tesseract was a direct result of what Loki did?

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
So I'm enjoying the show but I have two questions. 1 If there is only supposed to be one grand timeline why are there completely alternate versions of characters like male/female Loki? 2 If Loki picking up and using the tesseract went against the correct flow of time shouldn't Tony and Steve have went against the flow of time as well since them going back to Steve's time to get another Tesseract was a direct result of what Loki did?
Because tva is probably lying and there's more than 1 timeline. Someone behind tva want to make sure the mcu timeline we watched since Iron-Man is the real one and erasing any other potential branches

Axass

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
There's nothing incestuous about Loki falling in love with Sylvie because they're not family. Yeah they're both technically the same person genetically but they're from entirely different universes and, as Mobius pointed out, it's totally in-character that the only person Loki could fall in love with is himself.
The whole point of incest being bad is exactly that though. Two people genetically close (or almost identical in this case) might give birth to children with genetic disorders.

Maledict

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't the same genetically though. If you can have a crocodile Loki and a Black Loki then there's no similarity in genetics at all there. WE don't know if they have the same parents at all.

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018

Oh yeah totally. That was a fun little nod.

Read Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology, it's fantastic.

HeySeuss

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
The TVA sort of make up the rules as they go, but they said the actions of the Avengers was what was supposed to happen. Time travel in and of itself isn't prohibited against the sacred timeline. It's if the TVA decides if they like it or not (essentially).

The different Loki's are not a result of the timeline, they are from different universes (multiverse theory). There are an infinite number of parallel universes that have different outcomes. The timeline keeps the multiverses from war by pruning things that happen that the TVA doesn'tapprove of, but there is one timeline across all the universes. Two very distinct and different things.

It's confusing but that's how it's been laid out in the show. There is disagreement in if each multiverse has it's own timeline or if there is a single timeline for all of the multiverses. Personally I think a bureaucratic agency like the TVA would make things simple and make one single timeline for everyone because it would be much easier to keep track of.

Last edited:

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Just spitballing a random plot idea--what if the place Loki ends up in after being purged is where everything the TVA purges ends up, be them living or inanimate. And that's where the one desk of that TVA agent that didn't know what a fish was went when it was accidentally purged--the one with all of the Infinity Stones in, and what if that was the key to all this; the Lokis all band together to go get all them Time Stones to fuck with time to get out of there.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
ooXRyLR.jpg

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
They aren't the same genetically though. If you can have a crocodile Loki and a Black Loki then there's no similarity in genetics at all there. WE don't know if they have the same parents at all.

They probably are all genetically the same if you accept that the form Loki settles on is based entirely on what they chose to see themselves as.

OP
OP
Neoxon

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Thanos Copter!

And Kid Loki is much more evil here than in the comics given that he killed Thor.