Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, that seems like a pretty large variation regardless. Add in the butterfly effect, and the longer a variation is allowed to exist, the more different a timeline is going to become because of cascading differences. A female heroic Loki is going to be way different in her 300 year adolescent than people prankster loner Loki.

But maybe I'm overthinking this and they don't really have a logic to any of this. After all, the TVA have time machines, why would anything ever approach a red line in the first place if they can just pop in to the exact moment they need to and reset, even if another team messed up and allowed it to go past red.

The TVA just doesn't make much sense as explained so far.

I think they DO have a logic to it, its just not the logic you were expecting.

It not how different a variant is that triggers the TVA. It can't be, otherwise the Avengers would be TVA enemy number 1. It's all about the whether or not the variation threatens the TVAs ultimate plan or not.

As far as your point about just using the time machine to clean up if they mess up- they already explained why they can't do this in the 2nd episode. They have to show up in real time to stop the branch from growing, just like in Endgame.

Last edited:

Ottaro

Oct 25, 2017
Why do I have the horrible feeling we'll
have an emotional moment where Loki and Sylvie have to part ways, being unable to stay in each others universe.

Oh god it's Bad Wolf Bay all over again
I doubt they'll bring this Loki back into the current movie stuff, so I honestly think he has nowhere else to go besides wherever Sylvie goes. Like, does this Loki have a universe of his own to go back to?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I doubt they'll bring this Loki back into the current movie stuff, so I honestly think he has nowhere else to go besides wherever Sylvie goes. Like, does this Loki have a universe of his own to go back to?
I don't think they'd bring Loki back whilst the multiverse is in disarray not to have him make a return at some stage.

Mezentine

Oct 25, 2017
I just thought of this and other might have as well, but what if the sacred timeline isn't the only timeline but an isolated timeline where the tva is keeping it from going past the redline to stop it from reconnecting with the multiverse at large.
This is also one possible read I have of the post-credits scene, that the multiverse has been out there the entire time

Callibretto

Oct 25, 2017
Indonesia
Regarding Kang, from what I understand, in the comic, the multiple version of Kang are actually all the same person, but from different timeline, and they can fight each other. Which always feel absurd to me. Wouldn't the older Kang know everythimg his young self gonna do?

I wonder if they'll simplify it in MCU qnd just make the various Kamg variants of each other.

caliph95

Oct 25, 2017
Regarding Kang, from what I understand, in the comic, the multiple version of Kang are actually all the same person, but from different timeline, and they can fight each other. Which always feel absurd to me. Wouldn't the older Kang know everythimg his young self gonna do?

I wonder if they'll simplify it in MCU qnd just make the various Kamg variants of each other.
Different timelines and infinite universe
how would he know everything his young self will do if his young self is from a possible timeline with a different history than his

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
E5V49gjX0As-W4y

PandaShake

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Just watched all of it and absolutely loved it! Amazing. Love the concept of the TVA. Coming from Control game, love the aesthetics and idea that this all powerful force keeping things in check is bureaucratic unless we find out more.

Chasing

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Holy shit what an episode. 3 was the outlier, this is back to the episode 1-2 form.

I'm glad that post end-credits exists because it means Mobius isn't gone yet, I almost yelled at his "death". He's been such a great part of the show and Owen's chemistry with Tom is one of the best parts.

Ringten

Nov 15, 2017
Holy shit what an episode. 3 was the outlier, this is back to the episode 1-2 form.

I'm glad that post end-credits exists because it means Mobius isn't gone yet, I almost yelled at his "death". He's been such a great part of the show and Owen's chemistry with Tom is one of the best parts.

Wait what there are post credit scenes? At that point 😂

Disney plus has one of the worst ways to forward and can't believe it doesn't have a skip intro.

OT: loving the show! Simply fantastic tv

Ariakon44

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2020
Wait what there are post credit scenes? At that point 😂

Disney plus has one of the worst ways to forward and can't believe it doesn't have a skip intro.

OT: loving the show! Simply fantastic tv

Yeah, I completely missed it too the first time around. It was only when looking on here that I realized there was another scene.

Ataturk

Alt-Account
Banned
Jun 25, 2021
Episode 4 was actually best one yet.
Episode 3 was total trash though with all that shitty color filter and overuse of CGI and barebone writing

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wonder what's going to happen to all the TVA people at the end of this show. Because the TVA itself ain't surviving in its current form, it's built entirely around faith in a lie. But they can't all go back to their own timelines because their timelines were presumably pruned, just like Loki and Sylvie's. So I wonder how they're going to resolve this. Really interested to see how this is all going to shake out.

TioChuck

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
Something I been thinking, I don't know if was discussed already, but from what we learned from the show

There's only the sacred timeline for now, every other branch gets erased and the whole time travel shenanigans was supposed to happen, so Cap was living in the past of the same timeline?

CaptainKashup

Banned
May 10, 2018
Something I been thinking, I don't know if was discussed already, but from what we learned from the show

There's only the sacred timeline for now, every other branch gets erased and the whole time travel shenanigans was supposed to happen, so Cap was living in the past of the same timeline?

No, Cap was living in another timeline but since it was "written" it wasn't seen as a problem.

Deleted member 7051

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Nah. The multiverse exists so Steve must have lived out his life in another universe. It wouldn't have started as another universe but when he went back in time, he would've created a nexus event by just being there and another universe, another timeline, would've been created as a result. That's why Steve went back into the past to return the Infinity Gems in the first place, to prevent the nexus events from ever happening. He just understood it differently.

I'm starting to think the TVA did Steve a huge favour. They obviously would have approached him about the nexus event but they must have let him stay there, when normally they'd prune his existence in that universe entirely. I say that because he wasn't just able to live out his life but even return to his original universe and there's no way he could've done that by himself. Even alt-universe Stark couldn't have possibly figured out how to travel between universes.

So one must assume the TVA brought Steve back to his original universe so he could pass on the shield to Sam (who evidently needs the shield according to the Sacred Timeline), then they took him away afterwards - probably to recruit him into the TVA and erase his memories. Old Steve showing up in the background somewhere of Loki would be pretty hilarious.

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So its look like whoever is behind the TVA is partial towards the Avengers for some reason.

It's probably more likely that the Avengers are playing the role the TVA expects them to, much like how Loki was playing the role they expected him to, so they're fine with them doing whatever. I doubt they actually get involved unless you deviate from the Sacred Timeline and "the good guys being good guys" will probably never do that.

SolVanderlyn

I love pineapple on pizza!
Oct 28, 2017
Earth, 21st Century
Nah. The multiverse exists so Steve must have lived out his life in another universe. It wouldn't have started as another universe but when he went back in time, he would've created a nexus event by just being there and another universe, another timeline, would've been created as a result. That's why Steve went back into the past to return the Infinity Gems in the first place, to prevent the nexus events from ever happening. He just understood it differently.

I'm starting to think the TVA did Steve a huge favour. They obviously would have approached him about the nexus event but they must have let him stay there, when normally they'd prune his existence in that universe entirely. I say that because he wasn't just able to live out his life but even return to his original universe and there's no way he could've done that by himself. Even alt-universe Stark couldn't have possibly figured out how to travel between universes.

So one must assume the TVA brought Steve back to his original universe so he could pass on the shield to Sam (who evidently needs the shield according to the Sacred Timeline), then they took him away afterwards - probably to recruit him into the TVA and erase his memories. Old Steve showing up in the background somewhere of Loki would be pretty hilarious.
Technically this Loki stuff occurs before the end of Endgame, so the TVA and sacred timeline may be irrelevant by the time Steve goes back.

But since it exists outside time, who knows? Loki did enter the TVA chronologically before Steve's journey back, though.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Technically this Loki stuff occurs before the end of Endgame, so the TVA and sacred timeline may be irrelevant by the time Steve goes back.

But since it exists outside time, who knows? Loki did enter the TVA chronologically before Steve's journey back, though.
Because of the way time travel works, Steve almost certainly returned the stones before Loki was taken--the entire point of his journey was that they were replacing the stones basically right after they were taken. In particular to the 2012 timeline that Loki was taken from, Steven had to have returned before the TVA took Loki because the timeline was destroyed basically seconds after Loki was taken.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
A viable explanation is simply that whatever travels through time Steve has been on are part of the sacred timeline. A more likely explanation is that 'the sacred timeline' is just more bunk from the folks that brought you 'brainwashed servants' and 'false robot idols.'

falcondoc

Oct 29, 2017
You know, I've been enjoying this show overall - but I've been thinking that the premise is kind of a miss. Not that the TVA stuff isn't interesting, but Loki himself is kinda wasted on it. The whole TVA conceit/mystery overshadows the Loki character IMO. In fact, I feel like the show would be largely unchanged if there was a completely different character standing in for the main role. Not enough trickery, not enough backstabbing, not enough meanness in general. They've made the character far too passive.

Who knows, maybe the last two episodes will render all that moot.

GreenMamba

Oct 25, 2017
Were the two other Time Keepers laughing after Sylvie decapitated the center one? It sounds like it but their mannerisms are so bizarre that it's kind of hard to tell. Comes across as whoever is in control is mocking her.

EDIT:

Thinking on Loki falling in love with Sylvie... comics have a lot of weird aspects--some that the MCU gloss over some that it includes--but I never expected to see Disney let an uh, let's say, incest adjacent relationship show up in the MCU.

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
Thinking on Loki falling in love with Sylvie... comics have a lot of weird aspects--some that the MCU gloss over some that it includes--but I never expected to see Disney let an uh, let's say, incest adjacent relationship show up in the MCU.
Disney sold their soul once they bought Star Wars. You can't go back when Luke is frenching his sister.

SamAlbro

Oct 25, 2017

Depends on whether you listen to the writers or the directors.

Christopher Markus and Stephen McFeely, who wrote all three Cap movies, Infinity War, and Endgame have said that Cap is in the main timeline. Peggy's secret husband was always Steve, and this was the ending they had in mind the whole time.

Joe and Anthony Russo, who directed Cap 2&3, Infinity War, and Endgame say that he created a divergent timeline.

The MCU has not yet declared either one canon, although the existence of a "Sacred Timeline" seems to imply Markus and McFeely are right here

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
So its look like whoever is behind the TVA is partial towards the Avengers for some reason.
Not really. Steve didn't pass down the mantle until he was able to finally live out his life peacefully in the other timeline before returning. If Steve went to the other timeline and was stopped due to being a "variant," then the mantle wouldn't have passed down naturally leading to a different outcome entirely.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
So is the 'sacred timeline' bullshit to deceive TVA staff who are Brainwashed and designed to keep the universe under control (malevolent), or perhaps just a by product of attempting to control (bureaucracy)?

and with the talk about free will this suggests free will *is* a thing but gets rubbed out when it doesn't align with whatever/whoever is driving the timeline?

Deleted member 7051

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I think you're making it weirder than it actually is by trying to apply real world legal terms to a fantastical situation that they don't apply to. There's nothing incestuous about Loki falling in love with Sylvie because they're not family. Yeah they're both technically the same person genetically but they're from entirely different universes and, as Mobius pointed out, it's totally in-character that the only person Loki could fall in love with is himself.