• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
the idea of Loki and his variants, agents of chaos, as sort of a multiversal checkmate to Kang's conquest is so cool. Kang's job isn't to check himself. It's Loki's.

Yeah, it's a fun dilemma that Loki is both a being of chaos and someone who wanted ultimate power.

The problem is that ultimate power is -order-, not chaos.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Just a little confusion: was Kang trying to destroy other timelines or just keeping his timeline (the sacred timeline) from branching out enough to 'touch' other multiverse timelines and create the conflict he experienced?

This:

Both. He was destroying other timelines to protect himself and his timeline.

He was literally murdering himself over and over for all time.

He legit was annihilating entire timelines so that another Multiverse War would not break out. At the same time, it prevents anyone in the Sacred timeline from having free will. Kang was willing to kill all versions of himself over and over for eternity to uphold his sole timeline and prevent a war in exchange for free will.

Sylvie, who had no timeline to go back to, exacted her revenge and unleashed free will at the cost of cosmic peace.

The MCU is about to get really really really fucking weird.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
If I had no knowledge of Kang whatsoever(what I know is limited), I would still be interested. The story he weaved and the "see you soon" followed by his face on the statue…That's good cliffhanger.
Dude has more of hook than Thanos does. It took infinity war to humanize Thanos. Before that he was generic galactic warlord. We have somewhat of a pathos with the Kang we're presented with. He has understandable motivations.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
Look I get that entertainment properties are subjective and that's going to play a part in anyone's perception. They're free to like / dislike anything.

But even the content the show itself puts forward - with no comic context - is absolutely massive. They presented (what I thought to be a well acted and interesting portrayal) of a character who has essentially running time and space the entire time, and he is now out of the picture meaning that the multiverse is totally free. There's multiversal wars, cross-overs, someone trying to conquer the multiverse etc etc.

If people don't like it then that's entirely their opinions which is totally fair, but to have indifference and think he's a minor character is them not paying attention to the content in front of them.

Yeah it did a good job at that. They need scenes like this here and there with all these Phase 4+ uber-super-heroes/villains to answer the question: if you're so powerful this whole time, where the hell were you? They already used "other planets need my help too and don't have Avengers" with Captain Marvel. Now the question for Kang at least is answered: one Kang "won" and has been maintaining things as there are for eternity outside of time and the multiverse - except now he isn't, so what are the implications of that going forward. They'll need to do the same with Eternals somehow.

It's good shit.

Mobu

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
So im guessing the show turned good? Im thinking of watching the whole thing tonight..

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Dude has more of hook than Thanos does. It took infinity war to humanize Thanos. Before that he was generic galactic warlord. We have somewhat of a pathos with the Kang we're presented with. He has understandable motivations.

Does he, though? He's the problem with the multiverse. It's HIM that's the threat. He should be looking for a way to erase himself entirely from existence across the multiverse instead of killing everyone in every timeline except his own.

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
I think that it wasn't a clever choice to use similar imagery for the depiction of different universes at the start of the episode and then when He Who Remains talks about them:
screenshot_20210714-15lktp.jpg

screenshot_20210714-2fwk5o.jpg

Lots of people understand that he destroyed all other universes and isolated his own, creating the sacred timeline, but the scene at the start of the episode implies that there is another universe, ours.

As much as I like this opening scene, I wish they wouldn't have shown the universe on the left. It adds confusion.

Agree, because it's redundant and just visually a way to look one entire branch / path down the timeline network that is later shown.

Worse is it doesn't show how each is connected, or rather existing in the same space.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Ok, the timeline thing gets a little bit confusing when you think about Endgame and how Thanos-2 was able to move into the future and get killed.

Did the TVA enter the timeline where Thanos moved away from and pruned it? They had to. Otherwise there would be a different timeline without a Thanos.

Greg NYC3

Oct 26, 2017
Miami
Ha! I was pretty close with my theory! Kang Gang wins!

Watched the episode again, man I hope Majors is around for a long time. He makes the exposition dump such a delight to watch.

We never found out who Renslayers 'other' favourite agent was did we? Had thought for a moment we might come across a couple of other Mobius variants that work for her but maybe not.

Now to wait for What If?
It was a quick reveal in the episode but Ravonna lied. The pen she had was from her variant timeline, not from a souvenir from another agent. It's how Mobius was able to track her origin.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
Ok, the timeline thing gets a little bit confusing when you think about Endgame and how Thanos-2 was able to move into the future and get killed.

Did the TVA enter the timeline where Thanos moved away from and pruned it? They had to. Otherwise there would be a different timeline without a Thanos.

That timeline would've had a Thanos, Gamora, and Nebula along with an entire Chitauri army that would not exist within it. It's safe to assume that timeline got pruned entirely.

The Thanos Variant we see in Endgame was dealt with by the Avengers, therefore the TVA didn't need to intervene as he was always meant to get erased. His timeline needed to be "reset" though.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
That timeline would've had a Thanos, Gamora, and Nebula along with an entire Chitauri army that would not exist within it. It's safe to assume that timeline got pruned entirely.

The Thanos Variant we see in Endgame was dealt with by the Avengers, therefore the TVA didn't need to intervene as he was always meant to get erased. His timeline needed to be "reset" though.

You're not wrong, but given how they handled Classic Loki, the TVA probably should've taken him out as soon as he was preparing to leave his timeline.

Principate

Oct 31, 2017
Does he, though? He's the problem with the multiverse. It's HIM that's the threat. He should be looking for a way to erase himself entirely from existence across the multiverse instead of killing everyone in every timeline except his own.
That's not understandable to you? If the supposed solution to world's problems is to kill yourself and ever single other version of yourself out there would you do it? It makes total sense why he wouldn't do it, from his point of view he expects someone else to start multiversal wars if he didn't do it so it makes no sense just to erase all versions of himself as that's not a solution to the problem in his mind.

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
All of them? The show was a deconstruction of the character, a "everything you kmow about him is wrong" which was well done by the way but is this the character fans thought they were getting when the show was announced?

It's the version fans wanted, for sure. Don't you remember all the lamenting that the Loki who had the big hero arc was killed and they were starting over in the show? All that was sidestepped easily and you can easily see this Loki as a pseudo-continuation of the Loki who died in Infinity War.

I find it quite amusing that any and all questions about the consequences of time travel in Endgame can simply be answered by "The TVA cleaned it up".

Honestly, I really hope the TVA stays around permanently. It's a great device to head off endless nitpicking about the logic of time-and-dimensional travel.

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
All of them? The show was a deconstruction of the character, a "everything you kmow about him is wrong" which was well done by the way but is this the character fans thought they were getting when the show was announced?

Deconstruction of the character? No, this show shows ONE Loki. Everything we know about the main Loki is tried and true and ends in Infinity War where his neck gets snapped by Thanos.

The show that was announced isn't about mainline Loki, he's dead. The show is about the Variant Loki who is an entirely different Loki that goes through the TVA ringer.

You're not wrong, but given how they handled Classic Loki, the TVA probably should've taken him out as soon as he was preparing to leave his timeline.

True, but the TVA exists to take out branches of time, not individuals within it which could cause branches of their own.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017

Or was that supposed to happen?

spad3

Oct 30, 2017
California
That is an interesting hanging chad, so to speak - how would Tony KNOW that Gamora-2 turned good? It's not like they interacted.

Actually, it's totally possible that she was 100% snapped away. She's not there at the end of Endgame and Quill is "searching" for her, but chances are she either got snapped away or the TVA took her in to get pruned.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
So

Hey the Avengers

They caused the next Multiverse war because they couldn't take an L

The deaths now is gonna dwarf the snap.

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
I find it quite amusing that any and all questions about the consequences of time travel in Endgame can simply be answered by "The TVA cleaned it up".

Honestly, I really hope the TVA stays around permanently. It's a great device to head off endless nitpicking about the logic of time-and-dimensional travel.

There's now like an infinite number of TVAs though all going out and about

Oops

pvin626

Nov 16, 2017
Stayed up last night to watch this, and it was damn worth it. One thing that I am wondering, is what information did Miss Minutes give to Ravonna?

TyrantII

Oct 25, 2017
Boston
"See you soon"

So, what's the bet that as soon as Sylvie kills He Who Remains (who prunes all of existence to ensure his more evil variants never ascend the throne of all existence), Kang the Conqueror has now become King, and favors the chaos of the multiverse instead. Soon indeed!

It would explain his statue at the TVA, a place we understood to be outside of time and space, much like the void.

Infinite infinities and all are kind of a mind job for us apes expecting cause and effect. But the second Sylvie kills HHR, all of existence starts growing again, from the very start all the way to the void. Infinite infinities of branches, all along the timelines HHR had pruned, now growing and stretching, all in an instant. Pasts and Futures bubbled up from the chaos of nature and existence. Not just the ones he favored as not a threat.

Quite literally they didn't kill a Kang, but as he said, replaced him with a more sinister version. That was ultimately Sylvie's choice, to replace one king with another that just has a different law. Maybe.

Kang the Conqueror believes instead survival of the fittest and might make right. He allows the madness and possible end of everything as the natural law of the multiverse. Quite literally sword logic, might makes right.

The only other option was for Heroic Loki and Sylvie to take the throne and keep the TVA running. Phase 4, 5, & 6 will now be what Loki was searching for in those last few moments before thrown through the door, a third way that saves all of existence and allows free will.

Last edited:

Tobor

Oct 25, 2017
Richmond, VA
We shall see, I hope this has a pure horror skew to it, especially with Raimi at the helm. Feiges comments were super early on so a lot could have changed. It would be hilarious if Derrickson left because of them not wanting a movie with pure horror in it and then Raimi comes in and says "fuck that"

You are setting yourself up for disappointment.

TheKeyPit

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Germany
Actually, it's totally possible that she was 100% snapped away. She's not there at the end of Endgame and Quill is "searching" for her, but chances are she either got snapped away or the TVA took her in to get pruned.
or the sacred timeline already started branching then (death of He Who Remains) and it doesn't matter.
So

Hey the Avengers

They caused the next Multiverse war because they couldn't take an L

The deaths now is gonna dwarf the snap.
Just think about this: How many times was the snap pruned until the "correct" people were snapped?

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
So, what's the bet that as soon as Sylvie kills The One Above All (who prunes all of existence to ensure his more evil variants never ascend the throne of all existence), Kang the Conqueror has now become King, and favors the chaos of the multiverse instead. Soon indeed!

The One Above All and He Who Remains are very different characters, lol

But I think his "see you soon" implication is basically him saying "if you kill me, the multiverse will blow up until I wind up back here again later in my personal timeline". Even now, He Who Remains is stuck in a time loop. One of them will always be left at the end.

MangoUltz

"This guy are sick"
Mar 24, 2019
Jonathan Majors about to be showing up in every MCU thing for about 10 years. Incredible. I love this

excelsiorlef

Bad Praxis
Oct 25, 2017
Jonathan Majors was just fucking inspired casting.

Dude was incredible with a nuanced high and low, serious and comedic performance in The Last Black Man in San Francisco, and this is him going ok but what if instead of a playwright, Mont was a near omniscience immortal god of time.

Fucking brilliant so glad they've brought him into the MCU