• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Men of the Harem
But at the same time, it keeps seeming as if it wants to veer away from Latil having fun and dealing with her five scheming concubines and instead telegraphing that her original fuck-boi is still end-game material.
This is by far my main concern with this series. The only time I want to see his face is when he's showing tears of frustration while Latil prances around with her 5 hunky scheming concubines.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Men of the Harem is a weird one. It has moments of utter brilliance and snark, with picture-perfect expressions to match, and is apparently written by the same author who wrote Remarried Empress. But at the same time, it keeps seeming as if it wants to veer away from Latil having fun and dealing with her five scheming concubines and instead telegraphing that her original fuck-boi is still end-game material. Which... I'm not really on board with it. But hopefully, that is just a red-herring and the series *will* focus mainly on the antics, schemes and all-around hilarity that is the sure amount of ego and pomp contained within the walls of her harem.
What's amusing is that the one featured on banner art with Latil is neither the Prince-turned-Emperor, nor any of the five consorts.

In any case, I'm not really as worried as some of you about Hyacinth's chance. I feel like what's being telegraphed is more that he'd be a potential ally rather than a potential lover.

(Meanwhile, Klein pouting in bed is amazing.)

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
What's amusing is that the one featured on banner art with Latil is neither the Prince-turned-Emperor, nor any of the five consorts.

In any case, I'm not really as worried as some of you about Hyacinth's chance. I feel like what's being telegraphed is more that he'd be a potential ally rather than a potential lover.

(Meanwhile, Klein pouting in bed is amazing.)
I wish I had your faith.

Oct 25, 2017
Agravity Boys 51 END
E2Pyn3LWEAk76fA

Wonderful conclusion and filling in all that happened, and Cryosleep kept Saga from aging too much.

Will miss AgravityBoys and the jumbros.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
This is my first time in this thread! Good to find some fellow weebs (just joking!)

Thanks to the Manga Plus app from Shueisha, I can findly read manga legally in my region. Sadly, crunchyroll and Shonen Jump app aren't available. Would I be able to just get the apk, or wouldn't I be able to get a subscription?

Anyway, I've been trying many different manga recently.

Prison School/Kangoku Gakuen 1
Really good first chapter, amazing art, and actually pretty funny despite the serious (yet gorgeous like I said) drawings. But I dropped the manga for 1 reason: the ecchi/(probably?) hentai stuff. It's way too much for me. I just couldn't keep on reading sadly.

Spy x Family 1-25
I've been reading this for a while, and dang it's so good!! I didn't expect it to have me this much hooked. The only gag manga to hook me this much was Gintama. The characters are great, the art is great, the story is great, the writing is great. Seriously, what's not great about it? Twilight is a far better character than I've expected him to be: an overpowered protagonist who can do no bad and has no growth or deep writing. But it's not like that. Yeah, he's OP, but he has definitely grown as a character. Expressing how he hasn't ever had a family and kinda envying Yor and Yuri. He's starting to care more and more about his fake family.
I haven't even started about Anya, she's secretly the main character of the series. She's so adorable and funny. I love her, Twilight should protect her however he can. I hope the series will continue for a good while, and hopefully Endo will be awarded with an anime adaption.

I also read One Piece and Hero Academia weekly, I'd like to add One-Punch Man to that list, but I can't read it sadly.

I'm probably going to start reading Pandora's Heart soon. I've heard good things about it, I'm hesitating to go in blind, but I also find that very exciting hehe.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
The Crunchroll manga subscription is a nice bonus if your already subscribing. It has more good stuff than you think but its clear they don't care about it. The iOS app is broken and they only ad maybe 1-2 new series a year.

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
This is my first time in this thread! Good to find some fellow weebs (just joking!)

Thanks to the Manga Plus app from Shueisha, I can findly read manga legally in my region. Sadly, crunchyroll and Shonen Jump app aren't available. Would I be able to just get the apk, or wouldn't I be able to get a subscription?

Anyway, I've been trying many different manga recently.

Prison School/Kangoku Gakuen 1
Really good first chapter, amazing art, and actually pretty funny despite the serious (yet gorgeous like I said) drawings. But I dropped the manga for 1 reason: the ecchi/(probably?) hentai stuff. It's way too much for me. I just couldn't keep on reading sadly.

Spy x Family 1-25
I've been reading this for a while, and dang it's so good!! I didn't expect it to have me this much hooked. The only gag manga to hook me this much was Gintama. The characters are great, the art is great, the story is great, the writing is great. Seriously, what's not great about it? Twilight is a far better character than I've expected him to be: an overpowered protagonist who can do no bad and has no growth or deep writing. But it's not like that. Yeah, he's OP, but he has definitely grown as a character. Expressing how he hasn't ever had a family and kinda envying Yor and Yuri. He's starting to care more and more about his fake family.
I haven't even started about Anya, she's secretly the main character of the series. She's so adorable and funny. I love her, Twilight should protect her however he can. I hope the series will continue for a good while, and hopefully Endo will be awarded with an anime adaption.

I also read One Piece and Hero Academia weekly, I'd like to add One-Punch Man to that list, but I can't read it sadly.

I'm probably going to start reading Pandora's Heart soon. I've heard good things about it, I'm hesitating to go in blind, but I also find that very exciting hehe.
Hey, welcome in! Spy x Family is fantastic, glad you're enjoying it

The Crunchroll manga subscription is a nice bonus if your already subscribing. It has more good stuff than you think but its clear they don't care about it. The iOS app is broken and they only ad maybe 1-2 new series a year.
It really is pretty messy. I would only ever seriously recommend it if you've got the sub for anime already. It's definitely not a main feature.

Deleted member 40853

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Tokyo Revengers 1-10

I enjoyed this WAY more than I expected. I had the first three volumes from the last humble bundle, and I grabbed volumes 4-10 since they were on sale on Comixology and binged it all in two days. It's a fun read. I really liked the time travel and trying to change the future hook. The art and general street gang aesthetic is just awesome. Takemitchy is the man! I had heard a common criticism of this series is that there is an exhausting amount of plot twists, but at least in the first 10 volumes I didn't feel that way and nothing seemed cheap. But maybe it's different in the next 10 volumes.

One thing I would say is they definitely could have aged everyone up a bit. I don't really get why they have to be like young high schoolers and middle school students. Those are some scary ass 14 year olds!!

I probably won't be able to wait for volumes 11-20 to go on sale and just end up grabbing those pretty soon. The Comixology sale working as intended lol

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
It really is pretty messy. I would only ever seriously recommend it if you've got the sub for anime already. It's definitely not a main feature.

Even with 2020 being a huge rise in manga sales, you would think it would be a good time in refurbishing the site/apps for it. Always such a shame since there is such good stuff on there. (I'm also still annoyed that Crossing Time never added in ch 33 for reasons unknown).

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
Even with 2020 being a huge rise in manga sales, you would think it would be a good time in refurbishing the site/apps for it. Always such a shame since there is such good stuff on there. (I'm also still annoyed that Crossing Time never added in ch 33 for reasons unknown).
It's what happens when you fire all your development team and then hire one of your friends to headup development.

RedAhmed

Jan 9, 2018
Really? I didn't know that... I guess I'll stay clear of that.
Hey, welcome in! Spy x Family is fantastic, glad you're enjoying it

Thank you!

There are more and more good sources of anime nowadays, it seems manga is lacking in comparison..

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Revengers 1-10

I enjoyed this WAY more than I expected. I had the first three volumes from the last humble bundle, and I grabbed volumes 4-10 since they were on sale on Comixology and binged it all in two days. It's a fun read. I really liked the time travel and trying to change the future hook. The art and general street gang aesthetic is just awesome. Takemitchy is the man! I had heard a common criticism of this series is that there is an exhausting amount of plot twists, but at least in the first 10 volumes I didn't feel that way and nothing seemed cheap. But maybe it's different in the next 10 volumes.

One thing I would say is they definitely could have aged everyone up a bit. I don't really get why they have to be like young high schoolers and middle school students. Those are some scary ass 14 year olds!!

I probably won't be able to wait for volumes 11-20 to go on sale and just end up grabbing those pretty soon. The Comixology sale working as intended lol
I scooped up everything Kodansha had for this, and absolutely devoured it over the last couple of weeks. To respond to your specific points, I didn't feel like there were too many plot twists in the remaining volumes personally (and the ones that are there that come to mind are very good). I agree, they could've been an older cast and probably not lost much there.

I can see why the series is not for everyone or why some are more critical of it, and it definitely has a lot of shonen tropes grounded in friendship and never giving up, but it really uses that stuff very well (and it's exactly my bullshit).

Thank you!

There are more and more good sources of anime nowadays, it seems manga is lacking in comparison..
Definitely true. It's gotten better, but availability of subscriptions or even just localized works is such a mixed bag.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Komi 304-305
I feel sorry about the people that are hating this but...nah, I am really not, these last few chapters are way better than I hoped for and closed things very nicely
So I guess they will start dating them? I imagine that the author can still milk some 20 or 30 chapters of they dating and Komi getting the rest of the 100 friends. I imagine the last chapter will be the end of the year with the anime with Komi finally getting the 100th friend
5JcuQ31.png

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I scooped up everything Kodansha had for this, and absolutely devoured it over the last couple of weeks. To respond to your specific points, I didn't feel like there were too many plot twists in the remaining volumes personally (and the ones that are there that come to mind are very good). I agree, they could've been an older cast and probably not lost much there.

I can see why the series is not for everyone or why some are more critical of it, and it definitely has a lot of shonen tropes grounded in friendship and never giving up, but it really uses that stuff very well (and it's exactly my bullshit).

Yeah, I don't think I even notice the friendship tropes that much since the series is somewhat more grounded and doesn't have any swords/sorcery/sci-fi/supernatural/paranormal/etc (other than the time travel stuff, but you know what I mean), so at least with the shounen I've read it's fairly unique. There isn't really any "powering up" at least in what I've read so far, everyone just kinda exists in the world. I also find a lot of it really relatable. Not like the street gang aspect lol, but the idea of being a gassed up young teen just trying to cause trouble with your friends.

I know some people seem to dislike how Takemitchy is always sacrificing himself and getting his ass beat but I like that. I like that there is no powering up or training arc where he suddenly turns into a badass. He gets through stuff by using his adult mind to try and resolve the situations, and it's fun to try and solve the puzzles alongside him.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
'Tis Time for Torture, Princess! -Start to current-
Yeah it's one note but that one note hits every time, been a great little 5-chapters-before bed kinda manga for the last week or so. With the introduction of a former friend I'm kinda vaguely hoping the manga wraps pretty soon before it really really wears out its welcome.

...but not before it gets an anime.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Is there any sign anyone outside Shounen Jump and Crunchyroll might get into simulpubs? Outside of them there are a few series on Comixology but a lot of stuff I'm curious ab out is essentially still restricted to waiting on English volume releases.

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Hey LaunchpadMcQ, since you mentioned following Comixology sales pretty closely in the past, any guess on if we might get a line wide Kodansha sale around Memorial Day? I want the rest of Tokyo Revengers and only the first 10 volumes are on sale, but I also don't want to wait forever if it's not happening any time soon.

CloverNotes

Oct 25, 2017
I am ready to read Candy Flurry (ame no furu) really hope it's good. Anything from Shonen Jump with a female main character I have to check out. Promised Neverland was so good.

OP
OP
LaunchpadMcQ

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
Hey LaunchpadMcQ, since you mentioned following Comixology sales pretty closely in the past, any guess on if we might get a line wide Kodansha sale around Memorial Day? I want the rest of Tokyo Revengers and only the first 10 volumes are on sale, but I also don't want to wait forever if it's not happening any time soon.
Not Memorial Day, but maybe a summer sale in June. I've seen them do that before.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Honestly if you want something popular from Kodansha and don't mind waiting, their Humble Bundles are incredible... even if it overlaps with previous bundles they are usually a great deal.

citrusred

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah the last one didn't have many completed series but the last two or three before that were incredible value with lots of full series.

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
Thanks for the sales advice everyone. I guess the moral of the story is to be patient and not fall for sales of partial series 🤣 They definitely got me by dangling the carrot with half of Tokyo Revengers on sale and now I'll probably end up buying the rest full price.

Qvoth

Oct 26, 2017
Boukyaku Battery
randomly checked this out on jump+ app since it's the overall 5th ranking manga in the app
basically it's 9 dragons ball parade but funnier and more hot blooded
if you can read japanese and enjoy 9 dragons ball parade i recommend this instead

Oct 25, 2017
Boukyaku Battery
randomly checked this out on jump+ app since it's the overall 5th ranking manga in the app
basically it's 9 dragons ball parade but funnier and more hot blooded
if you can read japanese and enjoy 9 dragons ball parade i recommend this instead
everyday I hope it gets a full anime,

and Im glad its not cancelled

since it still sells pretty unremarkable.

CloverNotes

Oct 25, 2017
Candy Flurry Ch: 1-5
Read all the chapters I can at the moment.

This was so good!
I'm excited to see what types of confectionery will be used for powers in the future.

Oct 25, 2017
Candy Flurry Ch: 1-5
Read all the chapters I can at the moment.

This was so good!
I'm excited to see what types of confectionery will be used for powers in the future.
first person I've seen across multiple sites that finds this manga really good.

Most find it to be rather unremarkable especially in comparison to everything else running in shonen jump right now...which may make it hard for it to standout and escape joining the U19 club.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
People think its bad!? It's gonna get canceled?! It just started...

Jump is pretty stacked right now, and the reception to CF has been luke warm at best. It hasn't started ranking in the ToC yet, but a lot of the early indicators like views on the Japanese Jump youtube channel are pretty bad. It's possible it can survive, but it would need a pretty big turn around and explosion in popularity to do so.

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Candy Flurry needed to make better use of its premise instead of being a bog standard shonen but with candy. They're even doing an exam arc next, because of course they are lol

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Candy Flurry needed to make better use of its premise instead of being a bog standard shonen but with candy. They're even doing an exam arc next, because of course they are lol

I think Candy Flurry's biggest problem is it's literally trying to have it's cake and eat it too. When you step back and think about the world of Candy Flurry, Japan has suffered an cataclysmic event where millions of people died and one of Japan's biggest cities was wiped out. People now live in a world not knowing if another candy cataclysm will happen any day. Despite this however all of our main characters are a bunch of goofy kids who make dumb jokes about wearing mismatching socks, losing their creampuff, or getting beaten up by bullies because they can't use their cop powers against normal civilians. You have a tense scene where our MC is trying to figure out if the new elite agent has discovered her secret, but suck all the tension away with a dumb end chapter gag about "oops I forgot not use candy police brutality against non candy criminals".

I think Candy Flurry either needs to embrace the absurdity of it's premise and be a shonen battle parody ala Medaka Box, or just accept it's dark world and play everything really straight and let the "humor" come from the the fact it's a candy battle shonen ala Keijo.

Deleted member 40853

Banned
Mar 9, 2018
I'll chime in and say I'm enjoying Candy Flurry too. The art is nice and a female protagonist is great too. The candy gimmick is fun. I like Tsumugi and how she has a bit of attitude and isn't helpless. It does feel like it's kind of jumped all over the place very quickly from her needing to be in hiding, then working with the one agent in secret, to now fully training to join the recettear. I think I would have liked it more if it just stuck to her trying to stay hidden while looking for the evil lollipop user. I'm still mostly enjoying it.

Oct 25, 2017
People think its bad!? It's gonna get canceled?! It just started...

It's not a good sign when the manga's artist uses the author comments to tell people to "give it a chance". In the fifth chapter.
We normally don't discuss potential axebait until after the eighth chapter (as that's when the rankings really begin) but if they're that desperate this early on, it's a bad omen.

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
I find CF to be pretty inoffensive. But I suppose that's not enough to survive in Jump right now

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
I think Candy Flurry's biggest problem is it's literally trying to have it's cake and eat it too. When you step back and think about the world of Candy Flurry, Japan has suffered an cataclysmic event where millions of people died and one of Japan's biggest cities was wiped out. People now live in a world not knowing if another candy cataclysm will happen any day. Despite this however all of our main characters are a bunch of goofy kids who make dumb jokes about wearing mismatching socks, losing their creampuff, or getting beaten up by bullies because they can't use their cop powers against normal civilians. You have a tense scene where our MC is trying to figure out if the new elite agent has discovered her secret, but suck all the tension away with a dumb end chapter gag about "oops I forgot not use candy police brutality against non candy criminals".

I think Candy Flurry either needs to embrace the absurdity of it's premise and be a shonen battle parody ala Medaka Box, or just accept it's dark world and play everything really straight and let the "humor" come from the the fact it's a candy battle shonen ala Keijo.
Yeah, the tonal missmatch doesn't do it any favors.

I still think that they should have gone the Toriko route with it : the whole world (or at least Japan) is a wacky over-the-top candy land with different factions fighting over the sweets that cause powers for whatever reason. It'd be easier to play it straight when you don't have these silly candy powers shoved into regular ol' Japan

CloverNotes

Oct 25, 2017

Honesty you make a really good point. I didn't really think about how cookie cutter it is. Maybe if more people had candy powers then just villains. But that might be to much like MHA...

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 228

lol and now Iino has way stronger enemies to deal with.

I don't know whether to feel validated or personally attacked by the whole Discord section.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 228

Fuji: "I'll support you, Miko-chan."
Also Fuji: "Hey Ishigami, join our discord server filled with cute girls you know who share your hobby."

Fuji is a troll. Also, we get it Aka, you like Apex.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Kaguya 228

This chapter brought to you by Discord and Apex Legends.

Ishigami really turned into a harem MC. My man

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Looks like the SJ app added favorites. The desktop site has had it since the beginning, but I never use that to read, except for those web-only series. Haven't had a chance yet, but anyone test to see if these favorite lists link from app to app (like, phone and tablet apps?), because I know they don't link your reading progress, yet.

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
kaguya-sama 228

Looks like this current arc isn't going to be resolved anytime soon. I guess it's a good thing for this one month hiatus for me to cool off on the series until Season 3 comes out.

I've only recently caught up with the entire series about a week or two ago so this was rattling in my brain for some time.

Ishigami and Miko really are quite similar people- they're both honest to a fault about their ideals and both are too willing to martyr themselves. It's just that their personalities are completely opposite- Miko being completely serious about everything and Ishigami being a laidback person.

Ishigami currently doesn't see Miko in a romantic light but I don't think he's opposed to the idea and we have already seen that he is willing to change himself if it's for a girl. So I think this trial is for Miko to undertake- she needs to find a way to meet him in the middle. I don't really know what direction to take Miko and saying "just be more tolerant" doesn't really grow her character much. I'm curious to see how the author handles this.

Shiranui being involved is something I didn't expect, I like to think she's only going to play a minor role but who knows at this point. Speaking of Impossible girls, did Osoragi really just fell off the map?

Last edited: