• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
mantan-web.jp

僕のヒーローアカデミア:コミックス全世界累計5000万部突破 特設サイトにデクの激動の1年 荼毘の電波ジャックも - MANTANWEB(まんたんウェブ)

「週刊少年ジャンプ」(集英社)で連載中の堀越耕平さんのマンガ「僕のヒーローアカデミア」のコミックスの全世界累計発行部数が、5000万部を突破したことが4月2日、分かった。同日発売…
it must be a mistake because 7M in 3 months is better than what MHA usually does in a year

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
it must be a mistake because 7M in 3 months is better than what MHA usually does in a year
It's not in 3 months.

The numbers they were announcing were behind the actual ones. Been the case for a while. They just finally updated them.
Oricon has the manga at 31 million units sold (so not shipped as the circulation numbers are supposed to be) as of November 22, 2020.

The same thing happened to Haikyu!!. Circulation numbers in Japan went from 40m in July 2020 to 50m in November 2020. 40m was below the Oricon numbers.

Not sure why Shueisha does this, but it's not the first time. Guess they were just waiting for the right time to correct the numbers (maybe they like the 50m threshold)

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's not in 3 months.

The numbers they were announcing were behind the actual ones. Been the case for a while. They just finally updated them.
Oricon has the manga at 31 million units sold (so not shipped as the circulation numbers are supposed to be) as of November 22, 2020.

The same thing happened to Haikyu!!. Circulation numbers in Japan went from 40m in July 2020 to 50m in November 2020. 40m was below the Oricon numbers.

Not sure why Shueisha does this, but it's not the first time. Guess they were just waiting for the right time to correct the numbers (maybe they like the 50m threshold)
No the main reason why Oricon's numbers are different is because Oricon numbers are stipulated
Also even with 31M in november it would still need about 4M unsold copies to reach 37M, so the number is definitely weird
also we know for a fact that MHA numbers in the US are 5M and in France is 4M, it certainly sold more than 4M in the other countries we dont have numbers of, specilly with MHA being the number 1 manga in plenty of them

Rouk'

Jan 10, 2018
No the main reason why Oricon's numbers are different is because Oricon numbers are stipulated
Oricon numbers are accurate, publishers regularly rely on them. They are underestimated though (like ~10%)
Also even with 31M in november it would still need about 4M unsold copies to reach 37M, so the number is definitely weird
Shipped =/= Sold-through
This kind of difference is not unusual.
also we know for a fact that MHA numbers in the US are 5M and in France is 4M, it certainly sold more than 4M in the other countries we dont have numbers of, specilly with MHA being the number 1 manga in plenty of them
They don't have data for every countries. They rely on local publishers for that, and not all of them gave them exact updated shipments. Once again, this is not unusual. France and Viz numbers are most likely included, but not all countries are represented in these 13m.

dojo32161

Sep 4, 2019
Kaiju No. 8 Chapter 30
Ashiro using her tiger as support for her big fucking gun's recoil is pretty great.
ptAUEqr.png

NSESN

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Oricon numbers are accurate, publishers regularly rely on them. They are underestimated though (like ~10%)

Shipped =/= Sold-through
This kind of difference is not unusual.

They don't have data for every countries. They rely on local publishers for that, and not all of them gave them exact updated shipments. Once again, this is not unusual. France and Viz numbers are most likely included, but not all countries are represented in these 13m.
Publishers know the exact number they publish, they are the ones publishing it. We are talking about circulation numbers not sales
and again Oricon is a tracker, they dont stipulate sales like every tracker does.
You last explanation makes sense tho, they probably only include some countries.

Black Bishop

Jun 3, 2018
Kaiju No. 8 Chapter 30
Ashiro using her tiger as support for her big fucking gun's recoil is pretty great.
ptAUEqr.png
Kaiju No. 8 might not do anything particularly new or exciting, but it is the small touches like this that really have made me enjoy the manga so far. Glad that others also seem to be enjoying it and that its sales numbers are healthy.

Oct 25, 2017
Ace of Diamond act 2 247 and 248

Ex_31JmWUAkeUQj

Please
let Kawakami play in the next game or something, please, I don't want him to suffer from this plot that we've seen other third years go through not being able to play after making such a comment because they lose or something...

Favorite thing
Ex_3XVgXIAAAGxg

alpha

Oct 25, 2017
Kaiju No. 8 might not do anything particularly new or exciting, but it is the small touches like this that really have made me enjoy the manga so far. Glad that others also seem to be enjoying it and that its sales numbers are healthy.

I like this story, even if it's not anything particularly innovative. I do wish that they would show that Kafka is a grown-ass man a bit more in how they portray him. Sometimes it feels like they say he's older just for a gag then make him act just like they would the typical young shounen hero.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
If he's talking about what I think he's talking about, it's from the creators of Shokugeki no Soma.
Hopefully it's either rejected or heavily retooled so the protagonist is less creepy.
Also have an editor that keeps a tight leash on Tsukuda. We don't need anything as terrible as Asahi plaguing the manga.
I think that was them. Gorgeous art, but when your pitch is "exorcist has to start teaching at a girls school to deal with all the bad juju there and also he's scouting the student body for his future wife," somebody's gotta sit you down and knock some basic fuckin' decency into you.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
So apparently Jump is having a bunch of upcoming t-shirts for it's series, of note Build King isn't getting a shirt but Dolphin Cop is. Anyone hoping BK was surviving and DC was getting canceled I think it's time to give up on that dream.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Dolphin Cop has gotten fun a bit now that we're fully embracing underwater martial arts

I was not a fan of the whole "quirky humainoid sea creature of the day" model. They managed to really switch it from a buddy cop comedy, to an underwater shonen action quite smoothly. Not like Kamio Yui when they switched from romcom to... dark shonen action?

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
I was not a fan of the whole "quirky humainoid sea creature of the day" model. They managed to really switch it from a buddy cop comedy, to an underwater shonen action quite smoothly. Not like Kamio Yui when they switched from romcom to... dark shonen action?
Yui Kamio making the leap not just from "romcom dealing with girl gang bosses" to "shonen dealing with girl gang bosses" but actually all the way to "crazy supernatural horror-adjacent action (dealing with girl gang bosses)" was SO WEIRD. That had to be an editorial mandate thing.

LaunchpadMcQ

Oct 25, 2017
If he's talking about what I think he's talking about, it's from the creators of Shokugeki no Soma.
Hopefully it's either rejected or heavily retooled so the protagonist is less creepy.
Also have an editor that keeps a tight leash on Tsukuda. We don't need anything as terrible as Asahi plaguing the manga.
I think that was them. Gorgeous art, but when your pitch is "exorcist has to start teaching at a girls school to deal with all the bad juju there and also he's scouting the student body for his future wife," somebody's gotta sit you down and knock some basic fuckin' decency into you.
SnS creators explains a lot. They can fuck right off with that.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Yui Kamio making the leap not just from "romcom dealing with girl gang bosses" to "shonen dealing with girl gang bosses" but actually all the way to "crazy supernatural horror-adjacent action (dealing with girl gang bosses)" was SO WEIRD. That had to be an editorial mandate thing.
wait yui kamio is about sukeban? i'm in

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
honestly kinda starved for good sukeban content so i just grab anything

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
honestly kinda starved for good sukeban content so i just grab anything
loool

I know that feel.

I have a few series I keep up with, but damned if I can remember the names right now. Mostly cutesy romcom stuff. There's two with nigh-identical premises - gopher sorta dude with sukeban crushing on him.

Jintor

Oct 25, 2017
i hate that shit but would eat it up if it was yuri. Honestly I could really go for a decent sukeban battle shonen or something. There's that harem one that was posted a few pages ago that's ending soon I'm paging through atm... it's okay. Art starts pretty wooden though but looking ahead it gets more tolerable.

Still, nothing has ever matched Angel Densetsu.

MadnB

Oct 25, 2017
i hate that shit but would eat it up if it was yuri. Honestly I could really go for a decent sukeban battle shonen or something. There's that harem one that was posted a few pages ago that's ending soon I'm paging through atm... it's okay. Art starts pretty wooden though but looking ahead it gets more tolerable.

Still, nothing has ever matched Angel Densetsu.

Angel Densetsu is so good. Probably my favourite manga

Curler

Oct 26, 2017

I prefered it as a romcom, honestly :/ And yeah, what a weird recommended flip to try and keep it alive.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Honestly I think the horror/action half of Yui could have worked if it committed to that from the start. I think by the time it made that shift it was too late and it probably lost the few fans it had.

Curler

Oct 26, 2017
Honestly I think the horror/action half of Yui could have worked if it committed to that from the start. I think by the time it made that shift it was too late and it probably lost the few fans it had.

Yeah if they started like that, it would've been fine. But just so abrupt :x

Speaking on genre flips, just read that Cop n Dolphin vol 1-2 got reprints, so the flip is clearly working for them.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
Yeah if they started like that, it would've been fine. But just so abrupt :x

Speaking on genre flips, just read that Cop n Dolphin vol 1-2 got reprints, so the flip is clearly working for them.

I'm still not convinced Dolphin Cop has a long life ahead of it, but at the very least it's not ending in this batch like PS and BK.

Poodlestrike

Smooth vs. Crunchy
Administrator
Oct 25, 2017
ACAB, and so are all dolphins.

Last Saiyuki is the series I *really* miss from Yui Kamio's time period. God, I wish that resurrection bowl thing was real.

March 2021
OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
March 2021 Recommendation: Cross Account (by Tsunehiro Date)

PSxYP9Y.jpg

Social Media Romance Drama | 4 volumes, complete work, not licensed in English
A romantic comedy about a boy and his social media rage; a story of social media and the crossing fates of a young man and a young woman who were never supposed to meet.

Say hello to Daichi, a.k.a. Mr. Harmless. Because of his compulsive need to be liked, he never makes waves and maintains an easy going attitude. So easy going, everyone thinks he's a dud. But online he's a stud! His angry otaku online persona has garnered him thousands of followers! But real life and online life are two very different things. A lesson he's going to learn the hard way! (source)

From BassForever:
This is another canceled manga that I can solidly recommend, and in some ways I kinda wish this was just a 90 minute film since it easily could be. (source)

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Every other Sunday, I sit down to read Spy X Family and always tell myself "it's gonna be another fucking special illustration, isn't it?"

Dammit. It still hurts when I'm right. Why weekly Jump+ series announce their breaks in advance while this one doesn't, I'll never know.

Stowaway Silfer

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
March 2021 Recommendation: Cross Account (by Tsunehiro Date)

PSxYP9Y.jpg

Social Media Romance Drama | 4 volumes, complete work, not licensed in English

From BassForever:
Back when I didn't understand how new series in Jump worked, both in how it wasn't guaranteed Viz would publish more than 3 chapters and also how it could simply get axed from the Japanese magazine in a few months. The art in this is amazing. I really hope Tsunehiro Date can get a successful series one day.
I think it's pretty great that mangaka in Jump+ can have such flexible schedules.
Same.

OP
OP
dramazen

dramazen

Oct 25, 2017
So the thread has exceeded 20k posts.

It's been a while since this thread started, and we used to be at a forum where the software was booty so we had to reset to a new official thread every time it passed 20k posts.

I clearly haven't been involved much here, and it's been a pretty long run of OT making for me. My goal for some time has been to follow the thread until it reaches 20k, and then hand over the keys to someone else who desires it. That includes the wordpress account that's been archiving some of the impressions/reviews/recommendations posted here, as well as the email account attached to that (created for additional uses such as HxH bet spreadsheets or things like that). And the BBCode for the OP and recommendations-type posts.

If you're interested in making a new OP and keeping and maintaining that stuff, then message or quote.

It's sunny outside, and Bigkrev is probably trying to read another manga volume under a tree.

Status
Not open for further replies.