• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Supoman

Oct 28, 2017
iirc you're correct about the ps5 hdmi port having less bandwidth than xbox. but iirc it really doesn't matter either outside of message board arguments.
for the ps5, it has two hdr modes: one sets hdr for everything (was the only mode at launch), and one that displays sdr content in sdr. how do you have that setup? depending on which way it is, the home screen could be dull due to being in SDR. you may also have different sdr settings for the input.

fwiw you should put the ps5 in the HDR only for HDR content mode. otherwise it will force SDR to HDR but doesn't do anything like autohdr to compensate for it being SDR content. it looks bad on this tv

Yeah I forgot to mention that I chose HDR only for supported content in the settings. I guess I can't get more out of both CX and PS5, they have reached their limit bandwidthwise etc I suppose.

Hobbun

Oct 27, 2017
For those who WiFi for their LG (I have a CX), did anyone else have any issues in trying connect to their modem after the most recent update (04.30.40)?

The connection can be spotty at times for me, but when it has, all I've had to do was turn the TV off and turn it back on and I could connect. But today, for whatever reason, it would not allow me to connect to my modem and it actually kept asking for the password. Even if I inputted it, it still would not connect.

I finally had to turn off my Quick Start feature and that seemed to have made the difference. Even after looking that up, I'm still not sure exactly what that does. It seemed to turn on just as quickly when I turned the Quick Start feature.

dralla

Oct 27, 2017
I have a CX and I have watched lots of videos of VIncent to properly set both my XSX and PS5. I'm pretty much done with XSX settings as far as I know, but I'm still a bit unsure about PS5...
So my settings are:

XSX
4K@120hz enabled
PC mode and HGIG (HDR calibrated in the XSX settings)
Everything checked in the XSX video modes except for "allow 4:2:2"
I have also disabled Dolby Vision for gaming because I noticed that I don't get full 4:4:4 because of bandwidth limitations I suppose?And also the current DV output for games are just a conversion from HDR10 since there are no native DV games at the moment as far as I know, so no need to reduce chroma to 4:2:2 in DV while it would be better to play in 4:4:4 in HDR10...right?

PS5
PC mode (or game console mode, does it make a difference on the PS5?) and HGIG (HDR calibrated in the PS5 settings)
Everything set to automatic in the PS5 settings.

I don't know why but PS5 dashboard and especially some games feel more darker than on my XSX. Darker meaning I can even see that there are some dark crush, or maybe it's just my eyes..
And also my CX shows RGB 12bit 4L8 (=32gbps) on the PS5. So does it mean that PS5 HDMI port is capped at 32 while XSX is 40?

Any input on these settings? Does everything look correct?
The Xbox dashboard may appear brighter since it's running in SDR and you can manually adjust the OLED light setting/knits while in SDR. The PS5 is setting the brightness for its dashboard since it's running in HDR HGiG. I'm not sure if anyone has measured the brightness of the PS5 dashboard when it's in HDR to get exact numbers. The PS5 dashboard should look about the same in HDR and SDR though, so I'd assume it's around 150-170 knits. I'd assume this measurement would also apply to SDR games running in the PS5's HDR container, but not entirely sure.

As for games looking darker on PS5, it's hard to say. It's most likely going to differ from game to game and how that games HDR is implemented.

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
Has anyone has an issue with the streaming apps not updating? Every time I️ launch Hulu for the last few days it's prompted me to update it, I️ do so, but it doesn't seem to take. Update looks to be the same one

it's happening with the Hulu app. Every time I turn on my C1, I have to update Hulu app to the same version number. It's bugged.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I forgot there's an HDR adjustment step after enabling HGIG (I think? looked like it helped the dimness in the dashboard). Either way, I booted up Returnal for the first time and it looked good. I'll have to maybe try out a few more games and compare DTM to HGIG.

Obscure

Oct 27, 2017
Sorry if this question is too off topic, I just wanted to ask if anybody of you did find any success connecting and using at the same time two Bluetooth headphones to your LG oled CX. Thanks and again I'm sorry if I'm derailing too much the thread.

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I was playing BoTW yesterday and switched it to HDR Effect on my CX for giggles just to see what it looked like. After tuning a couple of things, if actually looked better than the game mode setting?

Because of that motion smoothing setting, if actually felt closer to 60 FPS rather than 30.

I only ran around Kakariko Village for a bit.

Now waiting for someone here to tell me that it actually looks like ass and my eyes are broken.

Oct 28, 2017
I was playing BoTW yesterday and switched it to HDR Effect on my CX for giggles just to see what it looked like. After tuning a couple of things, if actually looked better than the game mode setting?

Because of that motion smoothing setting, if actually felt closer to 60 FPS rather than 30.

Now waiting for someone here to tell me that it actually looks like ass and my eyes are broken.

You don't need us to, it sounds like you secretly know inside yourself.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I forgot there's an HDR adjustment step after enabling HGIG (I think? looked like it helped the dimness in the dashboard). Either way, I booted up Returnal for the first time and it looked good. I'll have to maybe try out a few more games and compare DTM to HGIG.
I think this is the most confusing part
for HGIG: turn on HGIG and then do the calibration patterns in console settings
for DTM: turn OFF DTM entirely, do the calibration patterns in console settings, then turn DTM ON

if you want to compare the two, you have to switch settings on TV and console every time. it's the same process on xsx and ps5

Last edited:

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017

no one else is playing games on your TV so don't worry about them ;)
that said; my biggest concern would be related to input response time outside of game mode. if it's tolerable, enjoy

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
Is there? I have always found HGIG too dark.

Also, is having OLED light at 100 bad for the TV?

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
no one else is playing games on your TV so don't worry about them ;)
that said; my biggest concern would be related to input response time outside of game mode. if it's tolerable, enjoy
This has not been an issue at all so far surprisingly. I played for probably 3 hours today. Damn this game gets you sinked in somehow

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Yes a C1 77" (maybe bigger sizes are dimmer? I don't know). Both games look like crap with HGIG on my set. It's like wearing shades, highlights that should be blinding like all the neon lights in Returnal or the sun or whatever in R&C look dimmer than sdr would ever be. You can imagine how the rest of the scene looks, when even highlights are dim (and it's not black crush, it's just a very very dim picture) Rgb ranges are setup properly and all that, AI brightness on or off doesn't matter, oled brightness whatever, doesn't matter either.

So far this tv feels like a downgrade compared to the old one. Maybe there's a secret setting I'm still unaware of, but this surely can't be "the creator's intent". It just can't be.

You do have Energy Saving off right? These game are not dim with HGIG.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
I was reading a bit online about D65 and the whole warm 40/50 setting. I don't think I get it. It doesn't look horrible but like I have Night Shift or Flux enabled. Is it supposed to be accurate to how the professionals working on what I'm watching looked at it, because it doesn't look true to reality (blue sky and clouds all have a noticeable yellow tinge).

apathetic

Oct 25, 2017
I was reading a bit online about D65 and the whole warm 40/50 setting. I don't think I get it. It doesn't look horrible but like I have Night Shift or Flux enabled. Is it supposed to be accurate to how the professionals working on what I'm watching looked at it, because it doesn't look true to reality (blue sky and clouds all have a noticeable yellow tinge).

It can be hard to get use to since like every tv comes set to "cool" which enhances the blue. The "warm" settings are what most content is created under and more accurately simulates natural lighting.

One of the things that when you get use to it it will look better and you will start to see how off cool color temperatures look.

There are a few things like that that appear worse at first just because of how use to a different thing you are. Like how mismatching black levels can seem to make things "pop" more and you never realize the dark details you are missing until you set it properly.

DassoBrother

Oct 25, 2017
Saskatchewan
It can be hard to get use to since like every tv comes set to "cool" which enhances the blue. The "warm" settings are what most content is created under and more accurately simulates natural lighting.

One of the things that when you get use to it it will look better and you will start to see how off cool color temperatures look.

There are a few things like that that appear worse at first just because of how use to a different thing you are. Like how mismatching black levels can seem to make things "pop" more and you never realize the dark details you are missing until you set it properly.
I know it depends on the space you're viewing in too, so I might just need to further tweak. My TV is on the main floor with decent natural lighting and I think a lot of these recommendations are for completely dark rooms.

Sr Kitsune

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Baja California, Mexico
Ok, I've played a couple of hours with Halo Infinite yesterday (god, I really can't believe #TeamHappening actually won!) and those are my first suggestions for Xbox Series X & LG OLEDs:
  • Halo Infinite actually seems to be a native Dolby Vision title: there are no in-game HDR sliders to adjust (just regular Brightness which you don't want to alter), it seems to completely ignore Xbox HDR Calibration app while in DV and still it looks considerable better than HDR while in-game. "Perfection.gif" basically;
  • When not using Dolby Vision, but regular HDR: it seems to apply Xbox HDR Calibration app values, so just make sure to have entered the proper value there: push RB + RT + LB + LT and check the nits values in the upper right corner for each screen and enter: First Screen 0.000 nits, Second and Third Screen 4.000 nits (if you're NOT using HGIG) or 800 nits (if you're using HGIG);
  • Quality vs Performance modes: just choose what it matters most to you -> Quality @ locked 4K/60fps or Performance @ locked 1440p/120fps. All other visuals are identical between the two;
  • All pre-rendered "FMVs" seems to be broken: the initial 343i intro video, the Academy Tutorial intro video and basically all "video" inside the game has very raised blacks which make them very "greyish". This seems to happen both in SDR/HDR and DV so it's probably a bug which needs to be sorted out (it was fine in TP2). Luckily there are very few FMVs in Infinite as basically everything from main menu to Academy cutscenes is rendered in real-time and look perfectly tuned;
  • It's not a real "Beta": except for a "message of the day", there are no reference anywhere that this build is another Preview/Beta build, Xbox Insider Hub is not needed anymore to download it, all Achievements are there and are already unlocking so this is basically a "Gold" or final Multiplayer build minus the D1 patch that will land on December 8th (which will include some improvements they will prepare based on feedback collected in these weeks). Opposite to TP2, this has been pretty solid so far (no disconnections, no crashes, no lag, no weirdness at all).
As a game, I think Halo Infinite MP is the best of the entire Halo franchise so far (also surpassing Halo 5 both in gameplay, modes and maps), therefore is automatically one of the best Multiplayer FPS ever made so far.
I had a real blast yesterday.
My only gripe is tied to the new progression systems which is too slow for non-paid Battle Pass and premium packages and shouldn't be only tied to challenges (but 343i seems to be working hard to improve it and also create a secondary progression system, based on their TP2 outcomes blog post).

Regardless, I think Halo is finally back to the place it belongs!
Now just waiting for the Campaign, but in the meanwhile we can play together... :)

Cheers,
-P

So... is the recomendation for halo infinite HDR or DV? It seems HDR is better?

kVH2LpZd

Apr 3, 2019
C1 question:
When I turn on the TV and the last used HDMI port was the PS5 one, the PS5 always turns on with the TV by itself. How can I deactivate that?

Noema

Jan 17, 2018
Mexico CIty
On the TV or on the PS5?
Does this have influence on things like HGIG, or is that controlled differently?

Many thanks

No, it won't affect HGIG. It's just a way for the TV to turn on or off hdmi devices, or for devices to be able to change inputs on the TV. It's great in theory but I find the implementation on the C1 to be wonky, specially with the PS5.

On the C1: Go to Settings > General > HDMI devices > Simple link (HDMI - CEC) and set that to off.

I can't remember if it has to be done for every HDMI input.

Last edited:

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
I'm just hoping they fixed the broken video gamma levels on all Halo Infinite FMVs (including the opening 343 and Xbox Studios logos FMVs). Such a terrible first impression every time I boot up the MP beta.

mikehaggar

Developer at Pixel Arc Studios
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Harrisburg, Pa
PS5
PC mode (or game console mode, does it make a difference on the PS5?) and HGIG (HDR calibrated in the PS5 settings)
Everything set to automatic in the PS5 settings.

I don't know why but PS5 dashboard and especially some games feel more darker than on my XSX. Darker meaning I can even see that there are some dark crush, or maybe it's just my eyes..

I've run into this issue as well on my CX. My PS5 is not currently hooked up to my CX, so hard to test/remember, but I believe I left the CX Black Level setting on Auto and then cycled between PS5's settings for RGB Range (Automatic, Limited, and Full) until things looked right.

If you have the Last of Us 2 on PS5 the dashboard/OS wallpaper for the game while it is selected on the home screen is a great reference:

tlou2-accolades-background-block-desktop-01-en-05jul21

With the wrong settings the blacks are crushed and you cannot see a lot of the grey to the left of Ellie. I think the issue is when using Auto on both CX and PS5 they do not handshake correctly and things are mismatched. I can't recall, but I also want to say I had crushed blacks when setting CX Black Level to "Low" and PS5 RGB Range to "Limited." I could be wrong about that one though.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I've run into this issue as well on my CX. My PS5 is not currently hooked up to my CX, so hard to test/remember, but I believe I left the CX Black Level setting on Auto and then cycled between PS5's settings for RGB Range (Automatic, Limited, and Full) until things looked right.

If you have the Last of Us 2 on PS5 the dashboard/OS wallpaper for the game while it is selected on the home screen is a great reference:

tlou2-accolades-background-block-desktop-01-en-05jul21

With the wrong settings the blacks are crushed and you cannot see a lot of the grey to the left of Ellie. I think the issue is when using Auto on both CX and PS5 they do not handshake correctly and things are mismatched. I can't recall, but I also want to say I had crushed blacks when setting CX Black Level to "Low" and PS5 RGB Range to "Limited." I could be wrong about that one though.
RGB Limited (or Standard Color Space) on consoles/PC coupled wilth Black Level Low on the TV will always be the only correct settings.

Really, these TVs are not meant to reproduce Full RGB and will just do it with issues when forced.

thatJohann

Nov 17, 2020
As expected, release version doesnt appear to have fixed raised black levels on pre rendered videos or Dolby Vision implementation.
Wow yes videos look terrible. I can't believe they ignored this bug.

I'm playing on HDR 10 using HGIG at 120Hz on LG C1 and intro video
to campaign looks terrible with the gray bars.

Ponchito

Oct 28, 2017
Mexico City
Wow yes videos look terrible. I can't believe they ignored this bug.

I'm playing on HDR 10 using HGIG at 120Hz on LG C1 and intro video
to campaign looks terrible with the gray bars.

Game is incredible, but it's a party of raised black levels and VRR flicker on cut scenes and menus. Gameplay looks fine. I set Fine Tune Dark Areas to -3.

Playing Campaign on Quality, will use Performance (120 fps) only for MP.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
anyone playing halo on HGIG: are you setting anything in game or just rolling with the system calibration setting?

Kyle Cross

Oct 25, 2017
RGB Limited (or Standard Color Space) on consoles/PC coupled wilth Black Level Low on the TV will always be the only correct settings.

Really, these TVs are not meant to reproduce Full RGB and will just do it with issues when forced.
This has been my mindset for years, but Vincent Teoh now recommends Full/Auto on PS5 at least, and says it's natively Full.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
anyone playing halo on HGIG: are you setting anything in game or just rolling with the system calibration setting?
I'm wondering too. I'm tired of seeing HDR settings with vague descriptions or no useful info. What does the value of 50 mean for the HDR setting?? I don't know!! Guess I'll roll with default for now.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I'm wondering too. I'm tired of seeing HDR settings with vague descriptions or no useful info. What does the value of 50 mean for the HDR setting?? I don't know!! Guess I'll roll with default for now.
are you getting black bars or gray bars on the cutscenes (if you've played campaign)?
someone in the game OT said this issue is fixed if you play DV. I might have to just because of this lol

dodo667418

Knights of Favonius World Tour '21
Oct 28, 2017
Man, I used to have a shitty TV with bad HDR (I'm not sure the exact amount but it couldn't push a lot of nits) and I just rolled with it. On this new C1 set though I switch back and forth between all the options. I'm still not sure if I prefer HGiG over regular HDR10. HGiG looks noticably more dim, but I feel like it brings out a tiny bit more detail in darker areas. Also it feels like HGiG has the more "realistic" color tones, while HDR makes them pop more. In some games, I like HGiG more, in others HDR. I just can't make up my mind and constantly switch and it drives me crazy.

And then there's also DV on Series X. Though so far it's the one setting I like the least. Didn't really like how Forza and Halo looked with it. It's great for movies and series though.

EchoSmoker

Jan 29, 2018
are you getting black bars or gray bars on the cutscenes (if you've played campaign)?
someone in the game OT said this issue is fixed if you play DV. I might have to just because of this lol
Yeah, the pre-rendered cutscenes are bugged right now. The black levels are incorrect. In-game is fine. Happens in DV and HDR10. DV doesn't seem to be working correctly either? EvilBoris mentioned the beta capped at 300nits and that may still be the case

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
So what are good HDR settings for Halo?
I had to do nothing in game for DV.
Everything is automatically sublime (on my B7 using suggested settings in the OP for DV Game preset and Xbox at least).

The game is both stunning to look (in DV), hear (in DTS: Headphone X) and play.

Even if there are still some small issues (FMVs still have raised blacks while in-game is fine; stuttery in-game cutscenes, some 30fps animations etc), this is by far the best Halo I've ever experienced so far.
My God

markb1980

Dec 18, 2018
There is also the worst amount of VRR flicker I have experienced in a game which Is a shame. It only happens in quality mode though and not performance mode.

Li bur

Oct 27, 2017
Hi guys, I'm having issues with the HDMI CEC setting. Everytime I turn on my LG CX, it automatically turn on my PS5. This won't happened if my last source before turning off the TV is not the HDMI port of my PS5.

Can I make it so the PS5 won't automatically turn on? I don't want to disable the HDMI CEC since I still want turning on the PS5 automatically turn on my TV.

UltimateHigh

Oct 25, 2017
I might have to buy that service menu remote to disable ABSL or whatever because all this dimming while watching sports (prob games too) is just terrible.

do they actually check if you've been in the menu for warranty purposes?