peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure of a better place to ask this but I have an issue with my B7 where on solid color images it looks like a rectangle/square is burned in. Doing some research I found a rtings video that describes the same issue and it's apparently a manufacturing defect that produces invalid lookup table values. Supposedly because it's a manufacturing defect LG is fixing it for free even out of warranty.

My question is, has anyone here experienced it and if so how did the repair process go? I'm in the US if that matters.

Here is the rtings vide for reference:

Brhoom

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kuwait
Not sure of a better place to ask this but I have an issue with my B7 where on solid color images it looks like a rectangle/square is burned in. Doing some research I found a rtings video that describes the same issue and it's apparently a manufacturing defect that produces invalid lookup table values. Supposedly because it's a manufacturing defect LG is fixing it for free even out of warranty.

My question is, has anyone here experienced it and if so how did the repair process go? I'm in the US if that matters.

Here is the rtings vide for reference:

I have it...

LG Middle East won't fix it, they promised a fix and that a new screen is shipping from South Korea and it would take 45 days to arrive. 55 days later I call them to find the same agent denying ever saying that and my TV won't get repaired because I refused to run pixel refresher 10 times in a row (I said it won't fix this issue so why do it?) And my warranty expired. I even talked to them for 3 days saying a replacement screen isn't required since it can be fixed by a technician.

Now I'm stuck with it forever and it keeps getting worse everyday.

Fuck LG, they lost me with this bullshit. I'll gladly pay Sony's tax for their OLEDs than LG ever again. Oh and I stopped 3 friends so far from buying an LG TV and told all of my relatives about their scummy behavior.

LG USA will gladly fix yours even if it's out of warranty though.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I have it...

LG Middle East won't fix it, they promised a fix and that a new screen is shipping from South Korea and it would take 45 days to arrive. 55 days later I call them to find the same agent denying ever saying that and my TV won't get repaired because I refused to run pixel refresher 10 times in a row (I said it won't fix this issue so why do it?) And my warranty expired. I even talked to them for 3 days saying a replacement screen isn't required since it can be fixed by a technician.

Now I'm stuck with it forever and it keeps getting worse everyday.

Fuck LG, they lost me with this bullshit. I'll gladly pay Sony's tax for their OLEDs than LG ever again. Oh and I stopped 3 friends so far from buying an LG TV and told all of my relatives about their scummy behavior.

LG USA will gladly fix yours even if it's out of warranty though.
Man I'm sorry about your luck. That really sucks. It's so weird that I've had the TV for almost two years now and I've only begun to notice it in the past few weeks.

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
P40L0 Just found out I have WebOS Dolby Vision set to Cinema Home with OLED light and Contrast on 100. When I look at your recommended settings (Game), the picture dims down immensely and all the beautiful lights in Altered Carbon look kinda disappointing. Is this just a matter of getting used to?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
P40L0 Just found out I have WebOS Dolby Vision set to Cinema Home with OLED light and Contrast on 100. When I look at your recommended settings (Game), the picture dims down immensely and all the beautiful lights in Altered Carbon look kinda disappointing. Is this just a matter of getting used to?
I think so, as increasing OLED Light to 100 when using Dolby Vision only means killing specular highlights, and just raising up gamma making everything bright, without contrasts.

In DV, OLED Light should in fact always be at 50, or you can try increasing it a bit to 60 at max (if you want to make darkest details more visible).
It works differently compared to HDR, as you can also see resetting Cinema Home presets of both to their defaults.

P.S.
With same settings, DV Game is brighter than DV Cinema and very comparable to DV Cinema Home brightness, but with the advantage to be closer to DV Cinema accuracy, and be more stable (with no "white box flashing" or raised blacks of DC Cinema Home).
You would also have great motion, and 21ms input lag if and when next-gen DV games will come ;)

Last edited:

Marble

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
I think so, as increasing OLED Light to 100 when using Dolby Vision only means killing specular highlights, and just raising up gamma making everything bright, without contrasts.

In DV, OLED Light should in fact always be at 50, or you can try increasing it a bit to 60 at max (if you want to make darkest details more visible).
It works differently compared to HDR, as you can also see resetting Cinema Home presets of both to their defaults.

P.S.
With same settings, DV Game is brighter than DV Cinema and very comparable to DV Cinema Home brightness, but with the advantage to be closer to DV Cinema accuracy, and be more stable (with no "white box flashing" or raised blacks of DC Cinema Home).
You would also have great motion, and 21ms input lag if and when next-gen DV games will come ;)

Thanks bro. I'll try OLED light on 60 in that case. I trust you.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I'm finally playing Final Fantasy XV for the first time with the free Royal Edition on Gamepass.
I'm really enjoying its HDR implementation, even without any in-game HDR sliders to configure!

Option 1b was already perfect with the exception of using Dynamic Contrast: LOW instead of MEDIUM.
The more I'm testing new games and movies the more I'm finding DC: LOW more accurate and comparable to calibrated HDR Technicolor Expert or HDR Cinema presets + Active HDR.

I don't know if they did something with latest v5.80.55, but I never experienced any dimness using HDR Game in a long while now, and I'm still super satisfied with zero issues using my 55B7V!

Korezo

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My e7 finally got burn in... Fell asleep with the tv on while watching twitch.. Can't stand the display now because the burn in is all I look at, and the display went to shit with vertical lines now.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
My e7 finally got burn in... Fell asleep with the tv on while watching twitch.. Can't stand the display now because the burn in is all I look at, and the display went to shit with vertical lines now.
Try doing 5 Pixel Refresh one after each other.
Then power cycle the TV (turn it off, unplug it from the power outlet, push the power button for 30 secs, Re-plug and power on).

If you still have burn in, call LG and ask for a replacement.
Many times they replaced OLEDs for free, even out of warranty!

Good luck

XxLeonV

Nov 8, 2017
I'm finally playing Final Fantasy XV for the first time with the free Royal Edition on Gamepass.
I'm really enjoying its HDR implementation, even without any in-game HDR sliders to configure!

Option 1b was already perfect with the exception of using Dynamic Contrast: LOW instead of MEDIUM.
The more I'm testing new games and movies the more I'm finding DC: LOW more accurate and comparable to calibrated HDR Technicolor Expert or HDR Cinema presets + Active HDR.

I don't know if they did something with latest v5.80.55, but I never experienced any dimness using HDR Game in a long while now, and I'm still super satisfied with zero issues using my 55B7V!

I also noticed this while playing FF15. I've never seen Low look so bright. Gonna rest it with more games and see how it holds up.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
The Xbox YCC 422 option debacle is not over yet I suppose.

This is what some reddit user is directly reporting to me:

YCC 422 Enabled:

9U73LxY.jpg

YCC 422 Disabled:

VPrbgfD.jpg

So, even if Xbox actually sends out a 422 12-bit signal in HDR when the option is checked, there are still middle color compressions that makes some text edges "bleed" in some color backgrounds as red, and other color artifacts more noticeable by eye.

I need to further test this, but if this is true I may recommend to turn YCC 422 off altogether also for "non-PC" profiles.

What do you think is more accurate to you?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
I just got the OTA prompt for the 05.80.55 update for my C7. This wasn't noteworthy right?
Just minor bugfixes on paper, but I noticed an improvement of HDR Game + Dynamic Contrast: Low compared to before.
Also see above some additional YCC 422 findings: it seems that, even if Xbox is actually pushing a 4:2:2 12-bit signal with it enabled, chroma subsampling seems further processed by Xbox before sending to the TV, degrading accuracy and introducing text bleeding.

I can also confirm this, therefore I updated all my docs recommending YCC 422 to be UNCHECKED on Xbox for now. (just remember to reboot the console for it to take effect properly).

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Microsoft just confirmed the "Auto HDR" feature for Xbox Series X, and seems magical to say at least.

Most SDR games without HDR (e.g. HALO 5) will be automatically processed by XSX and AI up converting them to HDR and following Gears 5 sublime HDR implementation as a reference!

More info from EvilBoris from another thread:

I've been speaking to them about it. It's super sophisticated and extends the work done by the Coalition on Gears 5.

With Gears they trained an AI to look at SDR and HDR output frames of various games and understand what the difference in colour space transform was:

So HDR became the ground truth and SDR was the image that was derived from that.
The AI could see how HDR to SDR had and once it had been trained with enough data would actually be able to do the opposite. To take the SDR image and make it look like the same HDR image.

Trained with enough data you can then take an SDR game and perform that same inverse tone mapping.
They are working with an even more sophisticated setup than the software only approach of Gears 5.
Now the advantage with doing it at a source level, is that it is possible to have access to the original 11bit or 16bit data including, rather than have to apply it as a post-process to an 8bit image - which doesn't contain enough data to avoid banding.
Also because of it is happening at source, it is far faster and latency-free compared to doing it in other ways (or having a TV do it)

The Solution for the Xbox Series X goes further and all of this happens on the display controller so there is 0 affect on memory and GPU performance , working in HDR normally has a minor hit on these things. Which is actually why the S is overlocked vs the XB1 OG.

As I already predicted many times, prepare to say goodbye to SDR (and its forced "Wide" gamut) and to dim HDR once and for all also to 2017 LG OLEDs, as there are less and lesser reason to upgrade.

So pumped about this, and by the incredible full specs blow out of today.

4K/60FPS is also confirmed as the baseline target for all future games! (with some that will even go up to 4K/120FPS)

XSX will truly be a next-generation experience, and our 2017 OLEDs will finally look and play at their best ;)

Deleted member 35478

User-requested account closure
Banned
Dec 6, 2017
Man that's awesome news. Was always a little bummed the 2017 sets would essentially be left behind (tech wise) with the upcoming console releases. Because the tv's still look great, and I'm fine gaming at 4k/60hz, obviously 120hz is better but if 60hz is the most the tv can display im ok with that.

Not sure if this has been covered, but PC display settings, pq settings/preset and nvidia control panel settings, any recommendations? I have the tv set to PC mode now, but wasn't sure if it's best to set the nvidia control panel to rgb or ycc and then limited or full. Then finally Windows HDR option, which i'm not sure works that well. This is only for gaming on the 4k display with the PC, couch PC gaming.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I've played several games in 120fps during the last few weeks. Too bad we will never get the proper 120hz hdr support.
I plan to upgrade to new generation just because of that.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Only the fact that mine now constantly switches off and on all the time!
Never happened in 2 weeks with the new firmware.
Maybe check your HDMI-CEC settings?

Also try an hard-reboot (which usually fixes all the weirdness):
  1. Turn off the TV
  2. Unplug it from power outlet
  3. Hold Power button for 30 secs
  4. Re-plug it to power outlet
  5. Turn on the TV

Hitcher

Dec 23, 2018
Thanks but I did all that for a day trying to sort it out before contacting Richer Sounds. Turns out the screen needs replacing.

Oct 27, 2017
I've played several games in 120fps during the last few weeks. Too bad we will never get the proper 120hz hdr support.
I plan to upgrade to new generation just because of that.
I played a few games on my b7 @120 but the 1080p limit and no HDR was disappointing. I moved the b7 to the main bedroom and a c9 in my game room and with gsync I really don't see a need to upgrade TVs any time soon. It is disappointing that these sets that are just two years apart have such different capabilities though. I really can't see how a b7 can not do hdr @120hz @1080p at least. Or adding vrr. It seems more like planned obsolescence.

shinbojan

Oct 27, 2017
I played a few games on my b7 @120 but the 1080p limit and no HDR was disappointing. I moved the b7 to the main bedroom and a c9 in my game room and with gsync I really don't see a need to upgrade TVs any time soon. It is disappointing that these sets that are just two years apart have such different capabilities though. I really can't see how a b7 can not do hdr @120hz @1080p at least. Or adding vrr. It seems more like planned obsolescence.

I think that 1080p is good enough for most games if you are able to get high refresh rate and HDR.
I've played new Wolfenstein, Vanquish and Doom 16 in both 4k/60 and 1080/120 and I prefer 120 one by a lot.
However, there are some games where I did not see much benefit in going over 60fps (Forza Horizon 4).
This set should be able to do 1080/120, but it's obvious that LG wants us to upgrade.

4k/120 sounds awesome, but GPUs are not there yet.

Oct 27, 2017
I think that 1080p is good enough for most games if you are able to get high refresh rate and HDR.
I've played new Wolfenstein, Vanquish and Doom 16 in both 4k/60 and 1080/120 and I prefer 120 one by a lot.
However, there are some games where I did not see much benefit in going over 60fps (Forza Horizon 4).
This set should be able to do 1080/120, but it's obvious that LG wants us to upgrade.

I agree 💯 I would take 1080p 120hz with HDR over 4k @60 for those types of games it actually does look more clear on these sets with higher frames vs higher resolution with movement.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Probably the wrong place to ask but I didn't want to start a thread.

On standard 4k HDR10 HDTV's in terms of standard picture settings, is there a good rule of thumb for numbers out of 100 for backlight, contrast, brightness, colour and sharpness?

I've enabled game mode to take off post processing like True motion etc.

Also when a game has HDR and the symbol comes up does that means the game changes all of the above settings you have set to in essence create its own picture settings that are best for HDR?

Thanks a lot for any help <3

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy

I agree 💯 I would take 1080p 120hz with HDR over 4k @60 for those types of games it actually does look more clear on these sets with higher frames vs higher resolution with movement.
I also tested both 1080/120 and 1440/120 and, honestly, 4K/60 + HDR remains the sweet spot for me.
Having the perfect clarity of Native 4K at 60fps smoothness and responsiveness is the best of both worlds (Quality and Performance).

But it's obvious this is very subjective, and upgrade paths are there for who think otherwise.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Probably the wrong place to ask but I didn't want to start a thread.

On standard 4k HDR10 HDTV's in terms of standard picture settings, is there a good rule of thumb for numbers out of 100 for backlight, contrast, brightness, colour and sharpness?

I've enabled game mode to take off post processing like True motion etc.

Also when a game has HDR and the symbol comes up does that means the game changes all of the above settings you have set to in essence create its own picture settings that are best for HDR?

Thanks a lot for any help <3
Each TV have its own recommendations, but generally, for HDR, Backlight and Contrast should always be maximized to 100, and brightness set to default 50, with Sharpness 0.
Color can be 50, or 55 or 65 depending on what TV and/or presets you're using.

If you have a 2017 LG OLED, check the first ops for the "Recommended" presets (Option 1 for SDR an DV; Option 1b for HDR), and also for the SDR/HDR/DV webOS presets for non-gaming recommendation.
If you don't have one of these TVs, have a look to Rtings.com recommended settings for your TV as a baseline to start.

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
Guys risked again and bought a new lg c9 yesterday.

I play 4 hours per day cod warzone how to not have burn in?

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Guys risked again and bought a new lg c9 yesterday.

I play 4 hours per day cod warzone how to not have burn in?
You won't have burn in.
Just make sure to have "OLED Pixel Shift" option on (and on C9 you should also have the "logo dimming" option that could be useful for regular TV), and always leave the TV in standby (do not unplug it from the power outlet after you turn it off).

Enjoy your killer TV ;)

Bosch

Banned
May 15, 2019
You won't have burn in.
Just make sure to have "OLED Pixel Shift" option on (and on C9 you should also have the "logo dimming" option that could be useful for regular TV), and always leave the TV in standby (do not unplug it from the power outlet after you turn it off).

Enjoy your killer TV ;)
Thanks for the tips Noble friend.

McSpeed

Jan 25, 2019
Netherlands
Question: I find the screen of my OLED65C7V dims itself a tad, after a few minutes on stale images - for instance while playing The Witcher 3 in a dark dungeon, or when watching a press conference with a single camera shot.
Touching a button on the TV remote (or a major shift in the imago, such as opening the PS4 menu) brings back the screen to full brightness.

Can anyone tell me how to disable this? Either that, or tell me why it's wise not to (be able to) change that?

I've followed the calibration settings guide from the OP (very grateful for those guidelines!), which also means there's no auto-adjusting contrast selected in my settings. I've gone through the menus several times to solve this but to no avail.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Each TV have its own recommendations, but generally, for HDR, Backlight and Contrast should always be maximized to 100, and brightness set to default 50, with Sharpness 0.
Color can be 50, or 55 or 65 depending on what TV and/or presets you're using.

If you have a 2017 LG OLED, check the first ops for the "Recommended" presets (Option 1 for SDR an DV; Option 1b for HDR), and also for the SDR/HDR/DV webOS presets for non-gaming recommendation.
If you don't have one of these TVs, have a look to Rtings.com recommended settings for your TV as a baseline to start.

Thanks very much for the tips. My picture looks much better already!

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Question: I find the screen of my OLED65C7V dims itself a tad, after a few minutes on stale images - for instance while playing The Witcher 3 in a dark dungeon, or when watching a press conference with a single camera shot.
Touching a button on the TV remote (or a major shift in the imago, such as opening the PS4 menu) brings back the screen to full brightness.

Can anyone tell me how to disable this? Either that, or tell me why it's wise not to (be able to) change that?

I've followed the calibration settings guide from the OP (very grateful for those guidelines!), which also means there's no auto-adjusting contrast selected in my settings. I've gone through the menus several times to solve this but to no avail.
I don't recommend to alter the auto-dimming on static screens, as it's one of the main default features that will avoid image retention and burn-in.

99% of the time it happens on a real static image (a game menu left in "pause", or a static picture without user interaction), and rarely happens when the TV "mistakes" a moving scene for a static one.
I would leave it alone.

McSpeed

Jan 25, 2019
Netherlands
I don't recommend to alter the auto-dimming on static screens, as it's one of the main default features that will avoid image retention and burn-in.

99% of the time it happens on a real static image (a game menu left in "pause", or a static picture without user interaction), and rarely happens when the TV "mistakes" a moving scene for a static one.
I would leave it alone.
Thank you, I had a suspicion this might be it and will surely leave it as is then.

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
Considering the much more spare time available "thanks" to COVID-19, I re-tested all my recommended profiles in the OP, and I found almost nothing to further improve, except what I found in the earlier posts plust a new DV recommendation.

All profiles in the OP updated to v8.2 with the following changes:

• YCC 4:2:0 is now the recommended setting for all profiles, especially on X1X (higher color resolution and accuracy both in SDR and HDR, no changes in DV);
  • HDR Game mode - Option 1b: recommended Dynamic Contrast value is back to: MEDIUM;
  • HDR Game mode - Option 1b: recommended Color value is 65 (when using DC: MEDIUM);
  • Brand new Dolby Vision recommendation for all DV presets: DOLBY VISION CINEMA HOME is now the recommended preset, as I tested that slightly decreasing its Brightness value to 49 fixes the raised black levels the profile was suffering on black transitions and night scenes. Plus, the "white box" bug happening also during scenes transitions/fades to black is not happening anymore (as it was probably fixed by latest batch of firmware updates). DV Cinema Home is now brighter and with more "pop" than both DV Cinema and DV Game, while staying accurate and with no bugs.

Enjoy your home time even more! :)

-P

Last edited:

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Considering the much more spare time available "thanks" to COVID-19, I re-tested all my recommended profiles in the OP, and I found almost nothing to further improve, except what I found in the earlier posts plust a new DV recommendation.

All profiles in the OP updated to v8.2 with the following changes:

• YCC 4:2:0 is now the recommended setting for all profiles, especially on X1X (higher color resolution and accuracy both in SDR and HDR, no changes in DV);
  • HDR Game mode - Option 1b: recommended Dynamic Contrast value is back to: LOW;
  • HDR Game mode - Option 1b: recommended Color value is now 60 (when using DC: LOW) and 65 (when using DC: MEDIUM);
  • Brand new Dolby Vision recommendation for all DV presets: DOLBY VISION CINEMA HOME is now the recommended preset, as I tested that slightly decreasing its Brightness value to 49 fixes the raised black levels the profile was suffering on black transitions and night scenes. Plus, the "white box" bug happening also during scenes transitions/fades to black is not happening anymore (as it was probably fixed by latest batch of firmware updates). DV Cinema Home is now brighter and with more "pop" than both DV Cinema and DV Game, while staying accurate and with no bugs.

Enjoy your home time even more! :)

-P
You do realize DV Cinema Home doesn't track ETOF properly right? That it is intentionally raised which is what makes it look brighter. So for accuracy it's not really accurate to spec. This is the case on all LG oleds. Unless that is what you're going for of course. Sacrifice accuracy for more brightness. Just an FYI. Stay safe all

OP
OP
P40L0

P40L0

Jun 12, 2018
Italy
You do realize DV Cinema Home doesn't track ETOF properly right? That it is intentionally raised which is what makes it look brighter. So for accuracy it's not really accurate to spec. This is the case on all LG oleds. Unless that is what you're going for of course. Sacrifice accuracy for more brightness. Just an FYI. Stay safe all
Could be, but DV Cinema preset (which on paper does follow EOTF like it should) is just too dim.

It feels a lot like HDR Cinema/Technicolor without Active HDR (Dynamic Tone Mapping) or SDR with low OLED Light values: too much dim too often even in dark rooms.
And we're talking about Dolby Vision here, where dynamic metadata should always provide a bright and accurate image on every scene, but this is just not happening on default DV Cinema...

Calibrated DV Cinema Home provides very similar results to HDR Cinema/Technicolor when using Active HDR (Dynamic Tone Mapping), which is universally considered as THE HDR reference both by professionists and users alike, therefore my recommendation.

P.S.
DV Cinema Home was also the most accurate calibration baseline here:

referencehometheater.com

LG C8 OLED Image Quality Analysis Review – ReferenceHT

The 2018 LG C8 introduced two major new features for image quality: Direct LUT access for calibration, and black frame insertion for SDR to improve motion quality. Both of these were features that were long wanted on an OLED to offer up improved image quality but the implementation of them has...

and it's recommended also by Rtings for both C7 and C8:

Last edited:

FrankNitty

Oct 25, 2017
SoCal
Yeah we always start with Cinema for HDR most I know also use it for DV. Didn't Rtings recommend Cinema Home for HDR as well?
Either way to each their own I was just giving you a heads up it doesn't track ETOF like Cinema. Cinema Home is made for bright room really which is why the ETOF tracks higher.