• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Tokio Blues

Sep 14, 2018
Any one remember the first uncharted 4 teaser engine trailer? With Nathan waking up on the beach? . There you go.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
This is dumb. They just need to stop with the bullshitting/bullshotting.

Still the worst example lol...

dogs4mevz.gif
Totally agree and that's a good example.

III-V

Oct 25, 2017
this was my take as well. No way to get wrapped up in a down-grade-a-thon scandal if you don't show any actual gameplay. Sucks, but this is why we cant have nice things lol.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
The specs of the consoles are even finalized yet. And this gen literally started with a couple games aiming to high because of that and being blindsided when the consoles weren't as powerful as they assumed.

This is not the LOD quality of BOTW...
thumb-1920-516665.jpg
Not entirely true. People had issues with Breath of the Wild getting downgraded from the initial reveal.

This one is always lacking in context. This video is literally a cinematic, even if it indeed ran in-engine. The vast majority of people, I'd even guess >99% of people would not think BOTW was downgraded at all.

"Many people from the media kept asking me if the footage from the new Zelda game for Wii U is just a promotional movie, but that really is actual gameplay on Wii U," Aonuma said. He didn't say, however, if the entire Zelda Wii U trailer was actually gameplay or if only a part of it was.
Series producer Eiji Aonuma reconfirmed to EDGE this month that the video was running in real time and in-engine. However, the scene shown was made especially for the trailer. When we saw Link shooting arrows at the Guardian on his horse, jumping off, and firing off one last arrow in mid-air at the enemy in slow motion, you couldn't actually do that.
I'm sorry I can't find the last source but someone on here talked about how the "in-engine" claim may have been poorly translated, although it is dubious in the case that Aonuma really intended to say that it was gameplay (Again, despite it being a cinematic).

I respect that anyone who hunted for info felt betrayed, and I definitely agree that it was downgraded if Aonuma intended to mean that it was in-engine and "This is what the game looks like". But for the vast majority of people, they watched a cinematic, and thought it was a cinematic.

It's kind of the reason that there's not really many "BREATH OF THE WILD DOWNGRADE SHOCKING" videos, because the final game actually does look kinda better than the first playable gameplay shown at E3 in 2016.

And if you feel that the final game looks worse than the actual gameplay all the way back in 2014, I really only notice the shadowing being a bit better in some places in the original gameplay. I think overall that the final game looks better.

aspiegamer

Oct 27, 2017
ZzzzzzZzzzZzz...
Then stop showing off footage that's loaded with extra details and effects you know won't make the final version, you jerks.
And then you get thousands of low effort/high view YouTube videos talking about how "dire" the game looks.
If you're doing this for a game that's a year or more out, no one gives a crap. If it's coming out in a few months? You're screwed regardless.

Skux

Oct 26, 2017
If only people could accept that a game in development is subject to change.

But that's too much to ask for some gamers.

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
I'd say it's up to the Devs and Pubs to clearly and consistently state what we are seeing. Also for people who hang around forums and the like to not think they are graphics detectives with degrees in puddles. Both could work together I fancy.

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
Can't say I blame developers. Gamers are a cruel bunch, and one downgrade will spark into a wildfire of controversy.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
It's a cinematic yes but they said "it's gameplay." 🤔

I think he meant that it wasn't just CGI shenanigans, but it could run at that quality (and LOD) because it's just a cinematic. But I agree, "gameplay" is usually a pretty clear indication. Keep in mind that this "gameplay" was only 6 months before the actual gameplay video they showed at the game awards. A game can obviously be downgraded in 6 months, but it's just strange to call that first video gameplay when it runs like a cinematic, and obviously looks so different than the gameplay they have ready 6 months later.

I'm not trying to refute the actual downgrade that may have happened. Just that I'm pretty sure the majority of people watched this video, clearly thought it was a cinematic, and enjoyed the final game. It didn't have the same punch as Watch Dogs or the Witcher which were undeniably gameplay to the mass audience that they had.

I personally fall into that camp because I never read these sources, but again, that doesn't change a downgrade that probably happened.

With any luck, we'll get a BoTW remaster, or the next Zelda will have a large jump in graphical fidelity due to only being on Switch, better understanding of the engine, building on exisitng base, etc.

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I think he meant that it wasn't just CGI shenanigans, but it could run at that quality (and LOD) because it's just a cinematic. But I agree, "gameplay" is usually a pretty clear indication. Keep in mind that this "gameplay" was only 6 months before the actual gameplay video they showed at the game awards. A game can obviously be downgraded in 6 months, but it's just strange to call that first video gameplay when it runs like a cinematic, and obviously looks so different than the gameplay they have ready 6 months later.

I'm not trying to refute the actual downgrade that may have happened. Just that I'm pretty sure the majority of people watched this video, clearly thought it was a cinematic, and enjoyed the final game. It didn't have the same punch as Watch Dogs or the Witcher which were undeniably gameplay to the mass audience that they had.

I personally fall into that camp because I never read these sources, but again, that doesn't change a downgrade that probably happened.

With any luck, we'll get a BoTW remaster, or the next Zelda will have a large jump in graphical fidelity due to only being on Switch, better understanding of the engine, building on exisitng base, etc.
I was just pointing out that nintendo was an example of doing the turn graphics up to 11 thing too.

DoradoWinston

Apr 9, 2019
at e3 2020 I want every single game to show puddles in gameplay even if its set in some sand dunes in Egypt only to pull em out at release fuck it lol

this shit is so dumb but like...people are dumb af.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
I was just pointing out that nintendo was an example of doing the turn graphics up to 11 thing too.
Yeah you're absolutely right, it just feels weird because (to my knowledge) that's one of the only times they've done it. In recent memory, they didn't seem to do it with Luigi's Mansion 3 but time will tell with Metroid Prime 4 and the next Zelda. For the most part I agree with others that their games tend to look slightly better as release closes in.

To be honest, I'm probably stanning Nintendo/Aonuma because I don't think he wants to be disingenuous towards his audience. But I guess my bias comes from the fact that I think despite fidelity issues and 30fps, I think BoTW looks great.

Alameda

Banned
May 19, 2019
Easy solutions: don't announce games till they're close to release or be honest and open with the development process.

cnorwood

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I mean on one end I get it, puddle gate was embarrassing on the other end this means I won't watch E3s without sony or nintendo

MonadL

Oct 25, 2017
This could all generally be avoided if games wouldn't get announced years before release, but then we wouldn't get those sweet prolonged hype cycles.

Astandahl

Oct 28, 2017
The Witcher 3 dowmgrade was massive. Check the in game vgx 2013 trailer... The final game was very very different.

Dodgerfan74

Dec 27, 2017
Poor devs having to settle for unrepresentative CG trailers instead of unrepresentative vertical slices of games that don't exist and never will.

DrScissorsMD

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 19, 2019
Kinda sorta OT, but it just occured to me that at least regarding the MS conference, Phil/MS were pretty clear in recent years that due to cancellations or issues like Scalebound and Crackdown 3 they were really hesitant to announce or show games unless it was within I think 8-6 months of release. Kinda funny how everyone got up in arms about it being a CGI-fest at their conference given they had this stance for some time now, as well as the topic of this post. And I'll be honest, watching it live I was very much in the "give us gameplay!" crowd.

Kind of an interesting parallel too regarding movies, where it's not uncommon at all for movie trailers to include scenes that never even make it into the final film, but no one really cares. Can you imagine if you saw a really interesting or cool gameplay sequence in a game trailer, only to find out post-release that was no longer part of the game? There'd be meltdowns left right and center.

Seems kind of like a concerted effort should be made by both consumers and devs/pubs regarding marketing and expectations for gaming. Everyone should be wary of hype but at the same time it shouldn't be discouraged, it's fun to be apart of and is somewhat ingrained in the community aspect of gaming and gaming forums.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
I don't get this take at all... the game is almost 11 months away. There's almost a year from now until the game releases for them to start a marketing campaign and show the game off. What difference does it make if they show it now or in 7 months?
A lot can change in those 7 months. Imagine you are expanding the game from a small vertical slice to its final size the past couple of years and the game that ran at a smooth 30 now sits at an unstable 20 fps. Performance has plummeted and now you need to meet your ship date and optimize the crap out of your game to deliver a stable 30 (meaning you need to hit atleast 40/50fps and cap it at 30). some of this stuff you can do in code, most of it is asset culling. Lower draw distances, lower quality LOD's closer to the camera, less props, lower resolution in your lightmaps, less lights with dynamic shadows etc etc.

Optimization always happens last, its a very natural part of game development. Thats why games can suddenly look like tits after that process to keep it stable.

Last edited:

dotyoureyes

Alt Account
Jun 11, 2019
Maybe I am wrong but Sony has none of these issues with GOW, Horizon or their exclusives? Didn't they show lots of gameplay? No one said wow those look gross. This is a weak excuse....show what the games are like and not some marketing fluff, or wait until they are ready.

SturokBGD

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ontario
I hate to break it to you guys but nobody really cares about your downgrade controversies. What you see on the internet is just a fraction of who actually buys videogames. All you do with these things is make it easier for marketing departments to play you all like chumps.

The comments the VG27 article refer to is straight up game makers taking the piss out of you.

wenis

Oct 25, 2017
the average game player believes they want to see early gameplay, but absolutely none of them are actually prepared to see early gameplay. it's shambolic, broken and reliant wholey on someone expressing future wishes and explaining where the gameplay, mechanics, and graphical fidelity could be in the future and what they hope for.

it's just easier to stick with CG. more expensive, but you're not taxing an entire team to create slices for public consumption or pushing teams to prepare assets before they're really ready for show.

a916

Oct 25, 2017
A lot can change in those 7 months. Imagine you are expanding the game from a small vertical slice to its final size the past couple of years and the game that ran at a smooth 30 now sits at an unstable 20 fps. Performance has plummeted and now you need to meet your ship date and optimize the crap out of your game to deliver a stable 30 (meaning you need to hit atleast 40/50fps and cap it at 30). some of this stuff you can do in code, most of it is asset culling. Lower draw distances, lower quality LOD's closer to the camera, less props, lower resolution in your lightmaps, less lights with dynamic shadows etc etc.

Optimization always happens last, its a very natural part of game development. Thats why games can suddenly look like tits after that process to keep it stable.

I work in the industry as well and I wholly agree with that. You just don't know exactly what it'll look like until the very end.

More_Badass

Oct 25, 2017
Or or or or they can shot bullshitting people.
What's the line between bullshitting and this?

Japanmanx3

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Atlanta, GA
It's probably not the only reason and it's not a terribly good reason by itself. Nintendo Treehouse needs to be replicated by all the Mainstays. If you are not going to show gameplay during a conference then throughout the week we should be able to see something.... Selling a game based on CGI trailers is not the move.

Nightengale

Oct 26, 2017
Malaysia
I mean, it's a fair reason to not show gameplay.

By the same token, it's also a fair reason if people aren't excited by your announcement since it lacks gameplay.

It's true that consumers and youtubers can be an unemphatic bunch and can easily get riled up over downgrades, but - it's the job of the game devs/publishers to manage their reveal so that it's something they can meet or exceed in the shipping product. When the level of disparity between what is shown/released is so vast, people have every right to be upset.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
But whats Links Awakening competing with? Certainly not the big AAA games. Its unique look is the selling point, not necessarily the cutting edge graphics.
Saying that graphics or how Nintendo games look/run is completly irrelevant in terms of public reception is just flat out wrong though. There is a reason why people are hyped for something like Links Awakening but are straight up disgusted when the new Contra game was shown.

shoemasta

The Wise Ones
Oct 28, 2017
What a load of shit. Guerrilla Games showed off the first trailer and game play vids of Horizon Zero Dawn nearly two year before its release. 20 months later the game releases matching if not exceeding what was shown in that first gameplay video. Stop showing stuff that aren't real and you won't have this problem.
So Insomniac and Spider-Man didn't show real gameplay?

Mass_Pincup

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Might as well show nothing if you're only two options are either CGI showing nothing of what the game will actually be like or gameplay footage who're completely different than what the actual product will feature.