• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jbug617

Oct 25, 2017
via VG24/7

D88heBJWwAELaS1.png

Oct 26, 2017
Okay so

Anthem hadn't started development as of when the e3 2017 """""demo""""" was shown.

That wasn't anything related to a game.

That was just a bunch of random lies.

Hopefully most games are not in the state Anthem was in as of e3 2017.

Xando

Oct 28, 2017
ERA and reddit played themselves with all the downgrade nonsense and now we have to live with CGI until 3 months before release.

Why waste months of manpower on making a demo only to get attacked for some dumb puddle.

The Bookerman

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As a dev, this is a fuckin stupid trend. This is why you haven't really seen next-gen projects a year before the release of the new platforms. Puddle gate anyone?

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
Yeah, it is so much better when nobody has any idea what your gameplay is like, I'm looking at you Avengers game. (Except for people behind closed doors and they promise the game is good, believe them)

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
It makes some sense. Especially for Cyberpunk. The Witcher changes weren't even that huge and people were acting like CDPR lied to them. (edit: im talking about more than graphical downgrades)

Idk why they included Anthem in this article though, what were got wasn't even the same game they showed at E3. That was more than a downgrade

Last edited:

a916

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, it is so much better when nobody has any idea what your gameplay is like, I'm looking at you Avengers game. (Except for people behind closed doors and they promise the game is good, believe them)

I don't get this take at all... the game is almost 11 months away. There's almost a year from now until the game releases for them to start a marketing campaign and show the game off. What difference does it make if they show it now or in 7 months?

DarkLordMalik

Oct 27, 2017
It makes some sense. Especially for Cyberpunk. The Witcher changes weren't even that huge and people were acting like CDPR lied to them.

Idk why they included Anthem in this article though, what were got wasn't even the same game they showed at E3. That was more than a downgrade
There is a HUGE difference between W3 pre-rendered trailer that was marketed as gameplay and the final product that we got. Pretending to say otherwise is false.

It is the case for cyberpunk
No idea why people keep bringing CP2077 here. In this case, CDPR themselves shared not just a couple of minutes but around 50 minutes of gameplay and when everyone expected them to show more, they chickened out.

BadWolf

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Show actual gameplay and not bullshit footage then.

What happened with Anthem was a complete joke and it deserved all the hate it got.

RedshirtRig

Nov 14, 2017
I don't get this take at all... the game is almost 11 months away. There's almost a year from now until the game releases for them to start a marketing campaign and show the game off. What difference does it make if they show it now or in 7 months?
I don't know, just would be nice to see actual gameplay. Now all the internet is focused on is how weird and discount the characters look.

cognizant

Dec 19, 2017
Coincidentally I just now was watching a YT of Ghost Recon Breakpoint demo, and the comments are full of people laughing at the 'downgrade' compared to the E3 trailer.

Paches

Oct 25, 2017
Show actual gameplay and not bullshit footage then.

What happened with Anthem was a complete joke and it deserved all the hate it got.
If they showed raw footage of games in their current state now, it would just be glitchy or framey and end up with people complaining about something different (performance).

No one wins, basically.

tsampikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Good. Publishers need to stop announcing games so far in advance. Announce games when you have something real to show us.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
I see their point, a lot of the downgrade discussion is certainly ridiculous in a lot of cases. I'm also very much in favour of having shorter waits from reveal until release, so perhaps that should be the way to go.

But in any case, going to E3 just to show a pre-rendered movie or even a scripted gameplay section just doesn't do it for me anymore.

I think Nintendo does this exceptionally well. They use pre-rendered movies for things like Smash announcements or the BOTW2 reveal but the rest is for the most part gameplay, even when their games are not so hot looking graphically speaking. Also, their tree house segments are an awesome way of showing their games.

I'm sure that, like it's happened with the directs, more companies will copy the tree house model going forward.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I said it in another thread, but gamers just can't handle seeing early gameplay, so it's no surprise that devs might not be as on board with showing it.

Kyougar

Cute Animal Whisperer
Nov 3, 2017
Easy Solution:

- show actual gameplay from your WIP build and not sliced demos that took you 3 months to make it look pretty.
- underpromise overdeliver.

JaseC64

Enlightened
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Strong Island NY
How about not release gameplay on a beefed up PC and then when the game comes out, it's running on actual hardware?

I mean if they come out and tell us beforehand any dramatic changes, it should be fine. I think ND did something with uncharted 4 in regards to the teaser vs actual games. Dont remember but it wasn't that bad.

Maybe they should run games at 80% of their target so when it launches at 100% state, we are all good?

a916

Oct 25, 2017
It's one thing with Anthem and stuff... it's another with some of the other over the top reaction that some games get.

Game development comes together as it nears completion. You can't really account for some of that until you have everything (which only really happens at the end) and in order to preform better, things are scaled back and everyone complains about a puddle.

MoogleMaestro

Oct 25, 2017
You absolutely cannot blame developers for this. Every time a developer has to walk back on a feature (graphical or otherwise) they get called a liar or lazy. To put it bluntly, game players have made it clear they want reveals to happen as close to release as possible. Prerendered footage is easier to sell in an early state, and comes across as more honest about the current state of development.

funky

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would have said maybe game devs should stop showing E3 demons that clearly dont represent the final product but thats also a solution too I guess

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
How about not release gameplay on a beefed up PC and then when the game comes out, it's running on actual hardware?

I mean if they come out and tell us beforehand any dramatic changes, it should be fine. I think ND did something with uncharted 4 in regards to the teaser vs actual games. Dont remember but it wasn't that bad.

Maybe they should run games at 80% of their target so when it launches at 100% state, we are all good?
Yeah, because getting slated for months for 'looking like shit' would be so much better for sales.

It's kind of a 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' problem.

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, I'm no developer but it doesn't seem unreasonable to want to see footage of a game due out in 3, 5, 8 months and not have to expect that what you're seeing may be scaled back for launch. Take that Gods & Monsters game, due out in 8 months. Or the Surge 2, for fuck's sake! Why the hell aren't they showing footage for a game coming out in 3 months?! You can't tell me that's due to downgrade fears.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
It's a transitional year and no ones ready to tip their hands on their next gen yet, too early. Next year will be huge.

It's the same cycle every time, people just have short term memories

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
thats why i hate when people say things like "oooff! tha framerate!!"

oh yeah? at least they aren;t lying to your face
Funny thing....numerous times, people spot framerate drops in early Nintendo game footage, or rough looking early screenshots, but then when the game releases, it's fine. It's almost like this problem in reverse.

Horp

Nov 16, 2017
Yeah ok, so there were a few times when gamers cried about downgrades, when in fact there were none. Puddles etc.
But really, we have had years ans years of countless examples of actual bait and switches. Not talking a few optimized effects - I'm talking generational leaps (Watch dogs 1 for example), or raw false advertising (see those mountains? You can go there).
So, sure, there's a hesitation to show gameplay, but who's fault is it really.

Oct 27, 2017
What is this. If they have a game then they should show it as it is. Not showing because of bullshit version is the devs fault.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
Nobody wants to see how the sausage is made, especially when the sausage isn't even 4K144FPS which as we all know is the only acceptable standard for all games going forward.

This is why I don't bother watching the E3 conferences and prefer to just read easily-digestible lists of all the random stuff companies are putting out over the next year or two.

John Harker

Knows things...
Oct 27, 2017
Santa Destroy
Easy Solution:

- show actual gameplay from your WIP build and not sliced demos that took you 3 months to make it look pretty.
- underpromise overdeliver.

You're vastly underestimating how many consumers only check in at e3 and never again till launch or till it's out already and their friends are playing. You don't get a lot of chances to impress people, and "slow build" isn't the best strategy if your sales targets are very high

Hucast

alt account
Banned
Mar 25, 2019
No offense to Nintendo but their games are hardly pushing the graphical envelope in the way big AAA games do.
That's not the point. A downgrade would still be a downgrade and those who follow the production would instantly notice as much as with any other project.

My point is that Nintendo never reveals their games with bells and whistles turned on to 100

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
I mean, I'm no developer but it doesn't seem unreasonable to want to see footage of a game due out in 3, 5, 8 months and not have to expect that what you're seeing may be scaled back for launch.
The specs of the consoles are even finalized yet. And this gen literally started with a couple games aiming to high because of that and being blindsided when the consoles weren't as powerful as they assumed.

Why does nintendo never have this issue?
This is not the LOD quality of BOTW...
thumb-1920-516665.jpg

Dec 23, 2017
You know gamers and their graphics. How dare there be a downgrade of any sort. I wish these devs will just tell gamers to F off. They have to do what is right and what the console can handle not to mention gameplay and fps.