Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ehhh seems like absolutely nothing if it doesn't have 1st party day one.

Apr 14, 2021
A dire situation? lol.
Not financially, of course. I'm talking about what MS have to offer, different from Sony. Sony has an equal, if not a more powerful hardware (performance-wise), with many platform-selling real exclusives (not available on other platform like PC at launch), and some interesting new features like DualSense.

Xbox Is pushing Game Pass in everything Xbox-related, like the cloud gaming. It is core for their strategy. They just can't let Sony take the lead with their huge userbase.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
You seriously think a majority of people are signing up for Yakuza and Scarlet Nexus over every 1st party game day 1 and all of them from the past. People sign up first for the 1st party games and games like Yakuza and Scarlet Nexus is what keeps them occupied in between 1st party releases. I'm not saying there is zero people who are doing what you say, but it would be a much smaller amount of people than doing what I think they're doing. Forza Horizon 5 alone has probably made more people subscribe to GP than Yakuza and Scarlet Nexus combined.

Probably not the majority, but I think it's a disservice to their service to think that it's just about Day 1 MS.

I went through the GamePass for PC list and jotted down all the games I'd be interested in playing:

Microsoft: Battletoads, Gears 5, Gears Tactics, Ori 1, Ori 2, Psychonauts 2, ReCore, Sunset Overdrive.

3rd Party/Indie: Fae Tactics, Astria Ascending, Battletech, Children of Morta, Code Vein, Cris Tales, Dead Cells, Dodgeball Academia, Donut Country, Echo Generation, Hypnospace Outlaw, Marvel's Avengers, Monster Train, Narita Boy, Scarlet Nexus, Slay the Spire, Jedi: Fallen Order, Streets of Rage 4, Tetris Effect Connected, The Ascent, Titanfall 2, Torchlight 3, Unsighted, Yakuza: Like a Dragon, YIIK.

At least for me, that 3rd party/indie list is more appealing than the Microsoft list. If Sony had a similar service that had the same 3rd party selection but replaced the Microsoft stuff with older 1st & 3rd party Playstation titles, I'd be tempted.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Totally in and pumped if PS Now gets rid of streaming but I don't see that happening.

I get everyone else wants day 1 and of course I'd take it but honestly wait for patches anyways so I'm playing games when they are at their best. If they move to PS Plus or whatever even a year down the road I'd be cool waiting.

If it's Now and Plus together as is I'm not nearly as excited. My internet isn't the best and last time I tried PS Now the streaming part sucked for me.

Izanagi89

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Oct 27, 2017
If MS invest 9-10 billion on studios I really think they have strong Data that the importance of First party for the growth of service like Game Pass is massive.

Look SOT, 25M of players, Same for FH4.

It's First Party game that encourages subscription, and the third party / AA / indie monthly flow which causes retention until the next big AAA.

It of course incentivises people to sub. But it wouldnt be nearly as attractive if they didn't have a decent third party offering. I'm really not trying to downplay the importance of 1st party titles but GP is a sum of its parts and a large part of why this service is so good is because of how much it offers you and that includes very recent third party games too.

hikarutilmitt

"This guy are sick"
Dec 16, 2017
Is this only a merge of PSNow and PS+? How is that a service like Game Pass? I don't understand xD
Because one of the things a lot of people seem to not understand about PSNow is that the only differentiation from GP is the day one games, whether 1st party or otherwise. If they started including stuff like that, 1st party or not, it becomes a legit comparison.

CorpseLight

Nov 3, 2018
User Banned (1 Week): Inflammatory point of comparison
Naming a subscription service after a historically prominent slave is certainly a bold move.

kc44135

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Yeah

Castlevania SOTN and Rondo are using the PSP 3D remake of rondo as a base. Loco Rocco and Patapon too.

Medievil remake includes an emulator which it uses for the classic PS1 version you can unlock. Some people changed the rom and it worked with some games.
Oooooh, ok, yeah I forgot about those. And then there's patent for emulated games with trophies. I'm starting to get hopeful and excited here, lol.
Nate says 100s of PS1 Classics including licensed games?

Day one.
Woah, where did he say this?

TsuWave

Oct 27, 2017
Well can you tell me what you mean by this then?

read what's on the tin, and take it for what it says. "they need" comes off like hopium with dashes of warring.

if despite warring not being the central part of the statement, as well as qualifiers like "comes off", you still take that to mean "you're just a console warrior" that's your damage, not mine.

You replied to me once. What are you even on about going through life not knowing what compeition is, you legit just cut what I said to fit your narrative, I said they need to tick every box and offer something extra OR offer something much more interesting if they can't match them. You can think a company can offer a lesser service for possibly the same price or ever more and expect them to grow all you want "through your life" as you say.

Me not wanting to reply to a person any longer is not dependent on the amount of times I did it before. I just don't think this conversation is getting anywhere and I'd rather employ my time elsewhere. I mean, this exchange is rooted in people thinking this service is not/won't be a gamepass competitor because "A subscription service without day one offerings is not a "Game Pass competitor" <- you can track the posts/replies.

Legit my last reply to you on this. Peace.

Aug 14, 2020
No day 1 shouldn't be a surprise when Sony first party games sell as well as they do. I hope they consider day 1 with smaller titles - indie games supported by PS like Kena for example.

important to mention that Xbox didn't start Gamepass by offering day 1 for all their titles either. This is just Sony dipping their toes in the water, definitely good news whatever way you look at it. Could still lead to something more.

gothmog

Oct 28, 2017
NY
Honestly both services could use a refresh. Hopefully this is more than just a bundling exercise of the current offerings. I would be interested in day 1 games but it isn't a dealbreaker here.

Arugala

May 21, 2021
sddefault.jpg

And what of good Solonius?

Top tier post, bravo!!

poklane

Oct 25, 2017
the Netherlands
Woah, where did he say this?
PlayStation Studios OT
I think 100s of first and third-party PS1 games will satisfy most people, though.

Not necessarily at launch, mind you. The plan is to have 100s of PS1 games on the service, however.

Trying to get clarity on that today.

Beyond that, I can say PS2 and PSP will be available some time after launch. Unsure how much later.

Sei

Oct 28, 2017
LA
The entire PS library available, even if first party only with some odd other titles, would make me sign up.

The convenience of thinking of an old game, and just being able to play right away it's too good.

Jakenbakin

"This guy are sick" and Corrupted by Vengeance
Jun 17, 2018
Don't care about day one titles anyway, I barely buy anything day one from the big publishers because you can get most of their offerings 6 months on for a fraction of the price. This wouldn't affect my gaming habits except to improve them I imagine.

j7vikes

Definitely not shooting blanks
Jan 5, 2020
Considering the success of Game Pass, it's a wonder why Sony (especially Jim Ryan) could have done this a long time ago. That guy's stance on retro titles was still baffling.

I gotta think they want to offer more in that area to "compete" but at the same time clearly seem to think avoiding day one games is the net profitable move for the time being.

Unfortunately if PS5 is significantly ahead of Xbox in sales Sony won't see a need to alter course I doubt. Even if the gap closes a little once all the shortages close out if it's still significant why change? I mean I hope but just thinking of it from a company perspective. They are going to do what they think is most profitable overall and they don't need to "catch" anyone.

SCUMMbag

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
Sounds great. As someone who's been out of the PS ecosystem for a couple of years. The idea of picking up a PS5 slim and getting access to some of PlayStation's bangers is really appealing to me.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
I see a lot of people in this thread getting hyped over the idea of paying a subscription to have PS1 and PS2 games Sony used to just let us buy.

Vita, PS3, and PSP:
DOUC8Ot.jpg

Oct 25, 2017
Hey if they get Vib Ribbon with Spotify integration that'll be worth the sub alone

Actually with remote play splitscreen there's tonnes of potential.

Mass Effect

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
No day one launches, but it still sounds pretty good to me, especially if 100s of classic games will be available to play too.

19thCenturyFox

Prophet of Regret
Oct 29, 2017
People are writing this off because it has no day one releases but if Sony dips into both their own legacy first party titles and legendary third party classics from their third party partners from the PS1, PS2 and PSP era I don't give a rat's ass. Fuck half finished GaaS-ed up day one releases compared to having classic Psygnosis, Namco, Square and Konami releases available. I prefer games without battle passes, micro transactions and day one patches over today's tired drivel any day.

Siam Shade

Jun 1, 2018
Don't know how to feel. I'm not planning on sub for a service with virtually the same games as the Game Pass minus all the first party offers.
BC games without any kind of boost would be very rough on a 4k screen for instance.

sckathian

Alt-Account
Banned
Sep 25, 2021
I think they should make an official time when new games come to it, otherwise your just beholden to them which ain't great.

Tigerfish419

Oct 28, 2021
read what's on the tin, and take it for what it says. "they need" comes off like hopium with dashes of warring.

if despite warring not being the central part of the statement, as well as qualifiers like "comes off", you still take that to mean "you're just a console warrior" that's your damage, not mine.

You implied it mate, sorry I don't know what you're thinking exactly but to me what you said came off as people saying Sony needs a Game Pass competitor are just console warring, which is just wrong and massively dismissive.

Me not wanting to reply to a person any longer is not dependent on the amount of times I did it before. I just don't think this conversation is getting anywhere and I'd rather employ my time elsewhere. I mean, this exchange is rooted in people thinking this service is not/won't be a gamepass competitor because "A subscription service without day one offerings is not a "Game Pass competitor" <- you can track the posts/replies.

Legit my last reply to you on this. Peace.

It's going nowhere because you're not willing to listen to what people say are just dimiss it as "warring" which is a bit annoying to be honest, I'm good for a good conversation about stuff though just throwing "warring" around because someone disagrees with you is just a bit childish.

Sony doesn't need a Game Pass competitor, but I think they should and I think they should have 1st party day 1 but I don't think that would ever happen so that's a bummer.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Don't you want to stream a 150mb video game for 30 hrs, thus eating up a couple hundred gigs?
That's the worst part. It's gonna be like Nintendo Online where you technically do download the PS1 games, but you'll still pay a subscription to play them.

If they can locally emulate those games, just let people fucking buy them. Or better yet let the PS5 play my original PS1 disc. I know they can put the software in there to let the PS5's drive read CD-ROMs.