Status
Not open for further replies.

Phendrana

Oct 26, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Retro supposedly finished Tropical Freeze in like ~September 2013, but the game was delayed so that it didn't go out too close to Super Mario 3D World.

Which would push the gap to four and a half years. Probably five by the time whatever they're making actually releases.

If they aren't at E3, something is very wrong.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Someone at Retro is reading this again, I know it.
Retro, if you are not present this E3 I'll murder some prime ribs with $1 ketchup. I have hostages. Do not provoke me needlessly.

Cinemikel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why do they even have a Twitter if they don't communicate with it ever? There's no reason to be silent for 4 years without interviews, discussions, teases, etc. So many developers do that. That's why they have a Twitter. You know.... to actually talk?

Jan 11, 2018
Retro Studios must have all new people there now.

Metroid Prime came out in 2002, we're now in 2018. How many people stay at the same company for over 15+ years later? Anyone who was already 30 back in 2002 is now over 50.

Next Level Games still has like the same top 10 people back when they started in 2002.

But Retro has only like 4 or 5 guys back from Metroid Prime 1. They do still have a ton of people left from Metroid Prime 3. In part because Retro only had 30 people for Prime 1.

There are a few artists, a few engineers, and a few animators who have been there since MP1. No designers though. And I believe there is only one designer left from MP2. There's a crap ton of people from MP3 onward though.

Keep in mind though, MP1 and 2 were made by about 40 people.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Honestly if they don't show up at E3 I have to believe they are working on something far more ambitious than a 2D platformer. A part of me wants that.

Even then I don't see why they wouldn't show up at E3. It's time.

Jan 11, 2018
Honestly if they don't show up at E3 I have to believe they are working on something far more ambitious than a 2D platformer. A part of me wants that.

Even then I don't see why they wouldn't show up at E3. It's time.

At this point you should be expecting more than a 2D platformer. Its over 4 years.

I'm more worried something went wrong with what they were initially working on. I mean Tanabe had to cease working with them for some reason, right? That was in March 2016 when we heard the rumors that they were no longer on good terms. I believe that there was sufficient evidence of that being false, but it's curious why he would just up and leave to work on other projects.

JaseMath

Oct 27, 2017
Denver, CO
I would make my standard STARTROPICS joke, but realistically, if they're not at E3, I wouldn't be surprised if Retro was absorbed by other Nintendo studios and Nintendo has been keeping their name and legacy alive for the press.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
I would make my standard STARTROPICS joke, but realistically, if they're not at E3, I wouldn't be surprised if Retro was absorbed by other Nintendo studios and Nintendo has been keeping their name and legacy alive for the press.

You wouldn't be surprised? What you described is more than alittle absurd. Especially because it's impossible to keep something like that a secret. We are talking about over a hundred jobs. Also, there are no other real first party studios in NA with NST on support/Wii ware status the last decade for them to have been absorbed.

People need to accept that retro is like any internal nintendo team. They arent creatively independent, they are at the whim of what Nintendo producers decide. Nintendo has a very loose definition of team outside of the top creative leads.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You wouldn't be surprised if Retro was absorbed? God it's so hard to read posts on here sometimes.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017

None of their employees have worked on any Nintendo games announced or released after Tropical Freeze according to their resumes.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Retro probably would never get shut down, but if they can't get their game out before 2021, I would expect them to be gutted to like 15 or so employees.

choodi

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Australia
This is never going to happen.

While I am probably indulging in a little bit of exaggeration by saying they will be shut down, is it so hard to imagine that this is a real possibility?

I mean, if they don't have something new ready to release this year, then Nintendo really has to be thinking about whether it is worth maintaining the costs of a foreign studio for such minimal output.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
While I am probably indulging in a little bit of exaggeration by saying they will be shut down, is it so hard to imagine that this is a real possibility?

I mean, if they don't have something new ready to release this year, then Nintendo really has to be thinking about whether it is worth maintaining the costs of a foreign studio for such minimal output.

5 years is still somewhat normal for a AAA developer.

7 years is not as of now so if they need 7+ years, then they could have their staff count massively reduced, sure.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

They don't have to release this year. They ported TF. Their game can be ready for next year. And it could be done for all we know and saved for next year.

Oct 25, 2017

It is for me.
Who knows what they are working on or when it was done or if it is done???
Nintendo of Japan has control of when they reveal their project.
Or that's my guess.

Yukinari

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Danger Zone
StarTropics is one of those western games like Punch Out that will one day get a sequel then stay dormant for another 8-10 years.

Japan had no clue who little mac was and it would be even worse for StarTropics since they never came out there.

Deleted member 6730

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

When has Nintendo ever closed down their studios. Even NST which would be closed by any other studio after Hammer still has the lights on.

LOLDSFAN

Oct 25, 2017
My personal theory is that Retro no longer solely develops new games.

They now/in the future will only co-develop games with other studios. See Mario Kart 7.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
at least if smash can be announced and come out this year, I could see them announcing a game and it being 2018 or 2019.

My personal theory is that Retro no longer solely develops new games.

They now/in the future will only co-develop games with other studios. See Mario Kart 7.

then they'd be in the credits for some in the multitude of games released since.

Henrik

Jan 3, 2018
It's Star Tropics, what else.

"non-linear narrative" and "world-building"

Kinda like Zelda BOTW as Star Tropics emulated The Legend of Zelda on NES.

They can do it again!

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea when. It could have been 4 years ago, or this year. Not sure.

What am I sure about is that it's been 4 years and they haven't announced an original game.
So they just started assisting games this year? What have they been doing for the past 4 years? Sitting around and collecting a paycheck?

Status
Not open for further replies.