Status
Not open for further replies.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah it's got to be there. I don't really care what exactly it is at this moment but I'm looking forward to seeing it.

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
Just to dispell some wack-ass narratives that have popped up:

• Retro has constantly expanded and Linkedin suggest it has 132 employees. Up from under 100 during Donkey Kong Country Returns. They are not that small of a developer.
  • In 2012 Retro expanded to a larger office to accomodate the increase in talent.
  • In February 2014, Retro CEO Michael Kelbaugh said they had started work on a new game and had been developing it for "a few months" since DKC:TF was completed.
  • Recently a Linkedin resume was updated to include concepts like "non-linear narrative" and "world-building".
  • In December of 2017, Nintendo tweeted out that Retro Studios was hiring Environment Artists.
  • 11 months earlier, in January of 2017, they were also hiring for AI engineers and animatiors.
  • No credible narrative exists from insiders or anyone else that their project(s) are troubled.

My takeaway from that is they're clearly working on a game and may also be working on something non-game related. This might explain the delay. 4 years dark is not THAT unusual in gaming.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017

• Retro has constantly expanded and Linkedin suggest it has 132 employees. Up from under 100 during Donkey Kong Country Returns. They are not that small of a developer.
  • In 2012 Retro expanded to a larger office to accomodate the increase in talent.
  • In February 2014, Retro CEO Michael Kelbaugh said they had started work on a new game and had been developing it for "a few months" since DKC:TF was completed.
  • Recently a Linkedin resume was updated to include concepts like "non-linear narrative" and "world-building".
  • In December of 2017, Nintendo tweeted out that Retro Studios was hiring Environment Artists.
  • 11 months earlier, in January of 2017, they were also hiring for AI engineers and animatiors.
  • No credible narrative exists from insiders or anyone else that their project(s) are troubled.

My takeaway from that is they're clearly working on a game and may also be working on something non-game related. This might explain the delay. 4 years dark is not THAT unusual in gaming.

There is no narrative from anyone regarding anything about this project.

Benzychenz

One Winged Slayer
Nov 1, 2017
Australia
The point being that without any kind of indication that things are sour or projects are being scrapped, the idea that the gap is indicative of troubles is baseless.

We rarely hear anything about unannounced games from Nintendo.
Eh, depends what gets announced.

If we get DKCR3 then I think it is likely they were working on something else that they've had trouble with and put on th back burner.

If it's something new and ambitious then yeah, 5 years is fine.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
The point being that without any kind of indication that things are sour or projects are being scrapped, the idea that the gap is indicative of troubles is baseless.

We rarely hear anything about unannounced games from Nintendo.

I mean, if this game isn't announced at e3, then we're looking at a minimum of a 5.5 year dev cycle leaning into 6 years.

Which is historically long.

So we'll see if this is announced at e3.

Cheezeman3000

One Winged Slayer
Jan 5, 2018
Retro tends to be the studio that reboots franchises. First with Metroid, then with DK, so my bet is they're working on another reboot right now. That doesn't mean they're not simultaneously completing a DK3, so we could very well see that announced this year with a new reboot following next.

My point being, even though it's been so long since the last game, it doesn't mean they haven't been working on multiple projects.

Deadpool_X

Oct 28, 2017
Indiana
Frankly, I've expected them for the last couple of years, only to be disappointed. If they aren't there this year, it's very concerning.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Whitewatermoose was saying Retro was working on 2 projects. This would fit. One game and one non-game.

He kept saying "when I say projects I don't mean they have to be games"

Shroki

Oct 27, 2017
I mean, if this game isn't announced at e3, then we're looking at a minimum of a 5.5 year dev cycle leaning into 6 years.

Which is historically long.

So we'll see if this is announced at e3.

It's longer than the norm, for sure, but we can't know why that is.

Without real chatter about projects being canned or the studio being troubled, I don't think it's smart to assume that. It's entirely plausible that they've been tasked with aiding in development of other projects in much the same way they aided Mario Kart 7 (and Monolithsoft aided Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild).

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How large is the studio?

Is it possible they're making DK3 and a new IP which is one reveals of both have taken so long?

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
It's longer than the norm, for sure, but we can't know why that is.

Without real chatter about projects being canned or the studio being troubled, I don't think it's smart to assume that. It's entirely plausible that they've been tasked with aiding in development of other projects in much the same way they aided Mario Kart 7 (and Monolithsoft aided Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild).

Retro has done no support work since Mario Kart 7 with none of their employees having listed any support work for any Nintendo game on their resumes.

How large is the studio?

Is it possible they're making DK3 and a new IP which is one reveals of both have taken so long?

I have never seen a studio work on two games at once for 5 to 6 years instead of just focusing on making one game in three years.

I mean... They could I guess, but I don't see why they would and it's never been done.

Spider-Man

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I fully believe whatever they were working on after Tropical Freeze was either rebooted, cancelled (now on a new project) or something along those lines.

Some preliminary development would have started during Tropical Freeze so you're looking at a game at almost 5 years development now, which isn't likely.

Oct 25, 2017
Nothing is a good bet with regards to Retro's latest game debuting but if it's not there, I will put earmuffs on my cat's back.
Those that have done that know the ramifications.

Soulstar

Oct 25, 2017
I would soooo be all in for a third DKC game from Retro, especially if they can somehow top Tropical Freeze.

Papaya

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
California
Retro doesn't even make games anymore. They only release BBQ sauce now.

They could not show up. It's been a long time, but it can be even longer. God of War was in development for 5 years. BotW was in development for 5 years. This could be the same.

Adder

Oct 28, 2017
Spain
I doubt it. Next E3 I think because they will pish it back ti next fall/holiday. I would not be surprised if they are involved in Labo or another gimmick, as it seems to be the focus of Nintendo when it comes to Switch.

Sadly they see it as another Wii, otherwise they will put much more effort into hardcore gamers luke they did last year. That is why it was great: the less they care about the core, the worst Nintendo -and its financial results- are.

Last edited:

Jader7777

Oct 26, 2017
Australia
latest

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt it. Next E3 I think because they will pish it back ti next fall/holiday. I would not be surprised if they are involved in Labo or another gimmick, as it seems to be the focus of Nintendo when it comes to Switch.

Sadly they see it as another Wii, otherwise they will put much more effort into hardcore gamers luke they did last year. That is why it was great: the less the less they care about the more, the worst Nintendo -and its financial results- are.

You act as if LABO went into production six months ago when it was clear Switch was a success. Or that projects like Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 don't exist.

Nictron

Nov 27, 2017
Murrieta, CA
(4 years, 2 months exactly)

My main guess is that if Retro's new game is coming before like June 2019, it will get shown by e3. If it's not shown at e3... I'm guessing it will release later than June 2019.

So, do we expect this game at e3? Have we heard anything to suggest it is or is not coming soon? And how concerned should people be if this game misses e3? If this game misses e3, the absolute earliest release date is probably June or July 2019... A development cycle of 5.5 years. And that's the absolute earliest.

dreams.gif

It's gotta be this year, it has to be.
It'd guess a new IP to show off all their talents.

86d683858a59a8b1f9378d0ae16b935c.gif

p0st

Apr 13, 2018
I think it's time again for Retro to shine. I think we can rule out a 2D game and probably also Donkey Kong because it makes no sense to do a 3D platformer when Nintendo knows that they are lacking a real first person shooter/adventure game. And Retro has already proven them self that they can master that genre.

Maliq

Oct 26, 2017
Hyrule Wars, a MMO-lite action adventure game scheduled for September release with online paywall. And for Zelda's 30th anniversary.

Get ready

Lynd

Oct 29, 2017
We really should see at least an announcement trailer of what they are working on. Its been so long.

Status
Not open for further replies.