Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 26, 2017
(4 years, 2 months exactly)

My main guess is that if Retro's new game is coming before like June 2019, it will get shown by e3. If it's not shown at e3... I'm guessing it will release later than June 2019.

So, do we expect this game at e3? Have we heard anything to suggest it is or is not coming soon? And how concerned should people be if this game misses e3? If this game misses e3, the absolute earliest release date is probably June or July 2019... A development cycle of 5.5 years. And that's the absolute earliest.

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
It's gotta be this year, it has to be.
It'd guess a new IP to show off all their talents.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
What are you talking about ?
Tropical Freeze will be released soon ... and THEN they will be free to start something ;D

those new idles and added funkyness takes effort

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guys, it's going to be DKC: Animal Antics.

Stop setting yourselves up for anything different.

Renna Hazel

Oct 27, 2017
If it's another DKC game I don't think it will be announced so soon after Tropical Freeze releases. If they've been working on something else we'll probably see it at E3.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I am certainly eager to see what they have been working on and I hope it is a new IP or at least a different property than Metroid or DK. If it happens to be another DKC I won't be sad.

EinBear

Oct 27, 2017
I really am going to struggle to hide my disappointment if it's just another DKC game.

Not that Returns/Tropical Freeze weren't great, but I just have 2D platformer fatigue from Nintendo as of late. Retro are one of the best devs in the industry, and it's time for something new.

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
I really am going to struggle to hide my disappointment if it's just another DKC game.

Not that Returns/Tropical Freeze weren't great, but I just have 2D platformer fatigue from Nintendo as of late. Retro are one of the best devs in the industry, and it's time for something new.

I do feel that way too... But I also just hope that they eventually show a video game.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Presumably whatever it is, given the amount of time, it's not a sidescroller. I would guess new IP, just from comments we have seen from a lot of Nintendo execs and producers on the subject of creating new IP.

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
I hope to be wrong but I do it think so. We always think it'll be this year and it doesn't happen. :(

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018

How many 2D platformers has Nintendo even released in the past year? I can only think of Kirby but that's hardly even a platformer.

jwhit28

Oct 25, 2017
I'm expecting something like Tomb Raider and Uncharted and I think I'm gonna be disappointed. I can already get that sort of game elsewhere and it will probably be better and definitely look better. It's sort of like Sony trying to create an answer to Smash. I don't need an answer to Smash, I already have Smash. Do what you do best.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Well to be fair, tropical freeze came out 4 years after Returns.

Well 3 years and 3 months, however that was going from the Wii to the WiiU, a big leap in hardware power and visual complexity. Obviously with the difference between the WiiU and Switch being relatively small in comparison, it doesn't make a lot of sense that another sidescroller would take this long. Unless something went wrong at the studio, or a different project got canned.

ChaosXVI

Oct 25, 2017
DKC TF wrapped up in November 2013, it was only delayed for strategic reasons. So really whatever they've been making could already be about 4.5 years into development.

This E3 has to be the one where we finally see it.

Molten_

Oct 28, 2017
Presumably whatever it is, given the amount of time, it's not a sidescroller.
What is with this misconception that 2d games somehow take less effort to make than 3D ones? Have you seen tropical freeze? The environments in that game are stunning and likely took way more effort to create than most 3D games. Tired of seeing this everywhere

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
May 2013: A port of Donkey Kong Country Returns releases on 3DS.
June 2013: A new game, Tropical Freeze, is announced at E3.

May 2018: A port of Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze releases on Switch.
June 2018: ???

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
DKC TF wrapped up in November 2013, it was only delayed for strategic reasons. So really whatever they've been making could already be about 4.5 years into development.

This E3 has to be the one where we finally see it.
It could also already be done and they're just waiting to announce it.
Or they haven't announced it yet because they wanted to announce it the year it would come out.
Samus Returns was announced last E3 for the first time and came out only 2 months later.

Deleted member 14377

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

1471751477217.gif

OP
OP
ItWasMeantToBe19
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe Retro is just an asset factory for Nintendo and they're never making another game of their own.

They've actually done no support work on any Nintendo games since 2011.

May 2013: A port of Donkey Kong Country Returns releases on 3DS.
June 2013: A new game, Tropical Freeze, is announced at E3.

May 2018: A port of Donkey Kong Country Tropical Freeze releases on Switch.
June 2018: ???

That strategy worked terribly and was part of why people were so disappointed by Tropical Freeze's announcement! Tropical Freeze is being priced as a game for new players to buy and then to turn around and immediately announce DKC6...

I see Tropical Freeze releasing in May as evidence against DKC6 unless DKC6 is late 2019.

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
What is with this misconception that 2d games somehow take less effort to make than 3D ones? Have you seen tropical freeze? The environments in that game are stunning and likely took way more effort to create than most 3D games. Tired of seeing this everywhere

Tropical Freeze is a 3D game. It's just in a 2D perspective. There are many parts in the game that shift to a 3-D camera angle.

Dreamboum

Banned
Oct 28, 2017

It's even weirder that Nintendo fans are the one peddling this misinformation the most

StarPhlox

Oct 25, 2017
Wisconsin
Metroid and Donkey Kong are my two favorite Nintendo series thanks in large part to Retro but I'll be happy with literally anything they do, I'm sure. Whether it's DKCR3, a 3D DK, a series reboot (I think they could bring back Star Fox or Star Tropics from the brink), or a new IP entirely it's all welcome.

NeonStars

Feb 23, 2018
Metroid and Donkey Kong are my two favorite Nintendo series thanks in large part to Retro but I'll be happy with literally anything they do, I'm sure. Whether it's DKCR3, a 3D DK, a series reboot (I think they could bring back Star Fox or Star Tropics from the brink), or a new IP entirely it's all welcome.

As if Starfox needs more reboots.

Status
Not open for further replies.